Options

Get Out Of Here Before This [Mass Effect] Thread Blows! Run!

• Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Enbot wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    Jack just strikes me as a bit too one-dimensional. Just about every decision she's made, including her outlandish looks, is based on her tortured childhood. I was hoping for at least a little bit of a breakthrough with her after the loyalty mission, but she just goes into that annoying denial mode. I'll romance her with my vanguard to see if I'm missing something, but to me it seems like Bioware created a crazy bitch, then said "uhhh, now what?"

basically, yeah

she doesn't talk about before she was an experiment, she doesn't even talk about purgatory that much, and she doesn't talk about her motivations if she has any beyond "well why not"

she had potential with the tattoos and scars and whatever to be an interesting "abnormal" character, but instead she's just a person who jumps on furniture sometimes and swears a bit more usually who is cured with the power of love

Jack doesn't talk about what happened before the experiment because she probably doesn't remember. I mean, the kids were brought in pretty young. And if Jack's loyalty quest is any indication, her memories about the whole place are really sketchy from all the emotional trauma.

The only thing about Purgatory that Jack mentions
    sounds suspiciously like gang rape by a group of inmates and guards. According to the ME wiki, Jack was put into cyrostatis soon after murdering her assailants so it's no wonder she has no fun prison stories to share.

As to Jack's motivation, she does tell you that she joined at first because she wanted the Cerberus files on her. And later if you ask she tells you she's sticking around because she owes you for blowing up the base.

And if you get Jack killed in the Collector base by assigning her to be Fire Squad leader, she'll admit to actually caring about the mission.

I'm not saying that Jack's character couldn't be improved. But it would be incredibly out-of-character for her to be all chatty and nice.

Pretty sure she says at some point that her first memory is of her room in the Cerberus facility.

She literally thought the little grass area outside her window was the whole world.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That shepard looks almost exactly like mine, although mine has a bigger face and I think I might have used a lighter skin tone. It would be nice if there was more than one nose model that didn't leave me wondering why cerberus didn't comp femshep a rhinoplasty in the two years she was out.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    That shepard looks almost exactly like mine, although mine has a bigger face and I think I might have used a lighter skin tone. It would be nice if there was more than one nose model that didn't leave me wondering why cerberus didn't comp femshep a rhinoplasty in the two years she was out.

green eyes and blonde hair is just compelling to me. i don't know why.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    EnbotEnbot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »

green eyes and blonde hair is just compelling to me. i don't know why.

It is a nice combination. Although that could just be because I watched Appleseed recently.

Enbot on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fuck yes, I love this Adept.

Gave him Warp Ammo and any time someone's defenses fall and gets sucked into that Singularity, they get murdered. Everyone seems to simplify Adepts as "lol u warp things", bullshit. Every battle is a playground. With Singularity as the key and some biotic teammates, it's just combo after satisfying combo. Even on Insanity where everyone whines that biotics are somehow ruined.

It's all like "Samara! Lift his ass!" and curve that throw a bit down. He goes flying.

There are so many times when I will reach the end of the battle saying "Fuck. Yes." It's super satisfying.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guys. Remember when we usd to hate geth indiscriminately? And then we were all, "Kill batarians on sight." after Bring Down the Sky?

Then ME2 came out, and the geth were redeemed! Batarians are still assholes though.

What if ME3 redeems batarians somehow?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I skimmed random pages to catch up on the 30 or so I missed over the weekend and all I saw was Ammo argument a few times, Jack sucks, Tali's fans are creepy, and we need more Wrex, Joker, EDI, and Legion. Oh, and the magic button we'll need for fighting the Reaper fleet.

Did I miss anything?

Bobble on
  • Options
    MagisterMagister Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, stop persecuting those of us who roleplay the Quarian lifestyle!

Although if anyone can overcome their bias and wants to join the crew of the Deferens, I'm cool with that.

- Terwe'fsfse vas Deferens

I'm tempted as hell to go to the Bioware forum and try to get someone with that.

Magister on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone might end up asking you to cyber as a quarian. It would probably be in your best interest to refuse.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Guys. Remember when we usd to hate geth indiscriminately? And then we were all, "Kill batarians on sight." after Bring Down the Sky?

Then ME2 came out, and the geth were redeemed! Batarians are still assholes though.

You end up meeting a Batarian who's all like "yeah, those guys you met before? They're the asshole heretic Batarians". When you end up going to the true Batarian homeworld it's this utopic land of harmony and tolerance. And Shepard still kills all of them because they're Batarians.

Ethereal on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Definitely what I'm hoping for.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Considering batarian space is essentially North Korea IN SPACE, I wonder if there's a batarian Kim Jong-Il?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dunxco wrote: »

ME3 reveals that the Batarians always knew about the Reaper threat, and have used Technology skimmed from the Leviathan of Dis to breed an entire armada of organic dreadnoughts.

Thus becoming the saviors of the galaxy and being asked to return to citadel space as the head of the council

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Dunxco wrote: »

ME3 reveals that the Batarians always knew about the Reaper threat, and have used Technology skimmed from the Leviathan of Dis to breed an entire armada of organic dreadnoughts.

Thus becoming the saviors of the galaxy and being asked to return to citadel space as the head of the council

Oh man, they better address the Leviathan in ME3. And at least a few of the other planetary anomalies.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Oh man, they better address the Leviathan in ME3. And at least a few of the other planetary anomalies.

Yeah, there are a ton of planetary anomalies I'd like to see expanded. I'm going to be annoyed if the "lost crypts of the beings of light" created to protect the galaxy from "synthetic machine devils" turns out to be more than some crazy guy's vision and ends up being the Deus ex Machina used to defeat the Reapers.

Ethereal on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    seriously, billion year old organic ship cannot be ignored

I'm imagining Shepard walking on the Batarian homeworld, slaves toiling away at a giant construct in the center of the city

maybe not quite that public but you know

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ethereal wrote: »

Yeah, there are a ton of planetary anomalies I'd like to see expanded. I'm going to be annoyed if the "lost crypts of the beings of light" created to protect the galaxy from "synthetic machine devils" turns out to be more than some crazy guy's vision and ends up being the Deus ex Machina used to defeat the Reapers.

wouldnt it be more of a Chekhovs gun than a deus ex machina?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Ethereal wrote: »

wouldnt it be more of a Chekhovs gun than a deus ex machina?

not really when it's just an aside in a planet description that you could easily never see

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If anyone's curious, I ended up going with this wallpaper:
    http://monkeybiziu.deviantart.com/art/Fight-for-the-Lost-149494110

Houn on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    pretty sure it's a throwaway sci-fi reference guys, like all planetary anomalies from me1

though i am glad that i don't know which sci-fi it's from

when nerds are put against the wall for the tali riots of 2015 i'll point to this moment and declare myself an inch above the slavering masses

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    pretty sure it's a throwaway sci-fi reference guys, like all planetary anomalies from me1

though i am glad that i don't know which sci-fi it's from

when nerds are put against the wall for the tali riots of 2015 i'll point to this moment and declare myself an inch above the slavering masses

well they used Klendagon

i mean you can still pass off the "beings of light" as Volus craziness, but a documented billion year old organic ship corpse is kind of a thing

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    klendagon reference made me blink, and then i knew

i knew

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Of course, now that we're talking about planetary anomalies, I'm on the Mass Effect Wiki. Any productivity for the next hour has been totally lost. Thanks a lot Mass Effect Thread.

Ethereal on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A guy made a list of anomalies here, most of them are either long-dead ruins of extinct species or things that can be ignored, the Leviathan stands out.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think the best thing about all this stuff is that the Mass Effect IP has so much growing room post ME3.

Ethereal on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone know what the legal details are behind the exclusivity of ME on the 360? Perhaps at some point down the road past ME3, Bioware could make a game set in the ME universe that's multi-platform.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Anyone know what the legal details are behind the exclusivity of ME on the 360? Perhaps at some point down the road past ME3, Bioware could make a game set in the ME universe that's multi-platform.

Who knows, all I know is, ME goes on my PC/Mac, and Dragon Age goes on my PS3. Xbox 360 is fine, but I don't have enough reason to buy it, and Mass Effect does not increase that reason at all.
    As to why Bioware won't make ME titles for PS3, perhaps it has something to do with the game engine, or somehow Microsoft got it's tentacles back into EA again. It could be a number of things.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shepard: "Thanks, Garrus. I couldn't beat the Collectors without you."

Garrus: "Sure you could. You just wouldn't be as stylish."

Fairchild on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

Who knows, all I know is, ME goes on my PC/Mac, and Dragon Age goes on my PS3. Xbox 360 is fine, but I don't have enough reason to buy it, and Mass Effect does not increase that reason at all.
    As to why Bioware won't make ME titles for PS3, perhaps it has something to do with the game engine, or somehow Microsoft got it's tentacles back into EA again. It could be a number of things.

I thought they made a console exclusivity deal back with ME1, so Bioware are locked in to it.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    klemming wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »

I thought they made a console exclusivity deal back with ME1, so Bioware are locked in to it.

Microsoft fronted a ton of money to EA/Bioware for the development of ME. It's not "microsoft getting their tentacles into EA" or some bullshit like that, it's them providing a huge chunk of funding to ensure a high quality AAA RPG title for their main platforms (360/PC).

Robman on
  • Options
    KwornKworn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guys my favorate charactor Thane died and all the others did not. What was i doing wrong? I completed his loyalty mission as did everyone elses.

Arrrggghhhhh, i want my thane lovin in ME3

Kworn on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Any idea how big the budget was for ME2 ? EA obviously spent a bunch of money on development and promotion for the title.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kworn wrote: »
    Guys my favorate charactor Thane died and all the others did not. What was i doing wrong? I completed his loyalty mission as did everyone elses.

I assume you are talking about the Suicide Mission ? You will need to describe the circumstances in spoiler text.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Legion: "Being an enemy of Shepard means a high probability of death. A punch in the face is also likely."

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »

I assume you are talking about the Suicide Mission ? You will need to describe the circumstances in spoiler text.
    He died with me and legion when we had a biotic guide us near the end, he was eaten by those bees th collectors let out, the bastards

Kworn on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

He died with me and legion when we had a biotic guide us near the end, he was eaten by those bees th collectors let out, the bastards
    Who was your biotic? It needs to be a loyal Jack or Samara.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Your biotic
    must be a loyal Jack or Samara to maintain the anti-swarm field. Any other character will drop the shield at the last second and one of your two teammates will be eaten as a result. In my first run I chose Thane as my biotic, and that cost me Garrus.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Amazon has the ME2 360 version for $40 and the PC for $30 today. If only my $10.00 credit from Final Fantasy 13 could apply today, that'd be enough to make me buy it. If the deal doesn't extend till tomorrow though, I will wait further till ME 2 is in bargain bins a-plenty.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shepard: "Thanks, Garrus. I couldn't beat the Collectors without you."

Garrus: "Sure you could. You just wouldn't be as stylish."

Garrus really does have the all the best lines.

Well, Mordin has quite a few...and so does Legion.

Also, Jack's combat banter is pretty entertaining.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Your biotic
    must be a loyal Jack or Samara to maintain the anti-swarm field. Any other character will drop the shield at the last second and one of your two teammates will be eaten as a result. In my first run I chose Thane as my biotic, and that cost me Garrus.

Ahhhh
    Miranda was my biotic, damn

Kworn on