As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] ITT we all get behind gnomes.

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    having flail as a property and having reach is pretty damn sweet

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    IIRC, one of the new weapon style feats and paragon paths in MP2 is specifically designed for Warlords who use flails and spiked chains. If it doesn't already work for whips (I think it does, no books on hand), you could just handwave it to work with whips.

Its a pretty neat paragon path too.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh my God, guys, catoblepas are in the Monster Manual 3! Between it and the derro this is gonna be the best Monster Manual ever!

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Oh my God, guys, catoblepas are in the Monster Manual 3! Between it and the derro this is gonna be the best Monster Manual ever!

Crackling green death rays ahoy!

Maticore on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    IIRC, one of the new weapon style feats and paragon paths in MP2 is specifically designed for Warlords who use flails and spiked chains. If it doesn't already work for whips (I think it does, no books on hand), you could just handwave it to work with whips.

Does it name specific weapons

Or does it require the Flail weapon group.

If it's the second of the two the whip already qualifies.

I'm thinking it has to be the second, weapon-oriented paragon paths usually go for weapon properties or groups rather than specific weapons (i know there are exceptions like daggermaster, I'm talking things like Sword Marshal, the Polearm PP, there's a few that specify the Axe and/or Hammer groups, etc).

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »

Does it name specific weapons

Or does it require the Flail weapon group.

If it's the second of the two the whip already qualifies.

I'm thinking it has to be the second, weapon-oriented paragon paths usually go for weapon properties or groups rather than specific weapons (i know there are exceptions like daggermaster, I'm talking things like Sword Marshal, the Polearm PP, there's a few that specify the Axe and/or Hammer groups, etc).
    Rending Chains is any flail. It's the one with the Warlord PP.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I gots to the city today for flat hunting and I have PHB3 at the moment with some time to burn. Reading the psionic classes for myself is so depressing. Every class just about is better off using a low level (2 augment) and keeping it until epic tier. Low level augment 2s do less damage per augment than higher level ones, but anything that makes the mistake of imposing a bonus or penalty by a scaling stat (like Charisma) is just automatically broken. It's basically at-will (hurf durf) by epic and with PP regenerating powers, items and similar you can literally use these things over and over for an entire encounter - it's really hard in even an EL + 5 encounter that I can see to run out of PP. Not before you've murdered everything anyway.

It's disappointing design, because it means that 3/4 psionic classes are either chronically overpowered or if they take higher level powers they become substantially weaker. That is such an incredibly wrong concept on every level. Not only that, it's disappointing because this is 4Es first real failure in terms of introducing new mechanics into the game.

In saying this, bitching about the topic gets nobody anywhere so I propose the following fixes:

1) The power point chart goes in the bin, all augments (regardless of level) cost 1 PP for a augment 1 and 2 PP for an augment 2. You start with 2 and it goes to 6 by the end of the heroic tier and stops. You gain extra PPs as normal though.

2) To prevent abuse with the likes of mind thrust and dishearten like powers, you can use each augment only once per encounter. If you run out of PPs to cast an augment 2 and regain more, you can use another augment 2 that you've used that encounter (so to make PP refreshing abilities not worthless - after all nobody is complaining that a paladin at epic with fearsome smite is imbalanced when he can get it back easily right by this point?).

Personally I feel this solves the core problem relatively easily and standardizes how psionics as a system should work. Taking higher level powers is better, because you can't just spam a lower level power (that will do less damage) over and over.

I'm also tempted to add that all epic psionic powers go to 2d[whatever] or 2[w] like every other power in the bloody game. Why that isn't the case mystifies me.

WHAT SAY YOU THREAD?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think you're over thinking what the average player is going to do.

(but that is my default response to any "no player will ever because" statement)

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Most people can work out that if you have 16ish+ PP by epic and you can use your lower level (and more effective) encounter powers 8 times as opposed to taking a shittier power you can use twice, that there isn't a real choice in the matter.

That's the problem with psionics, it's inherently obvious to everyone but the designers where it went wrong. They made the mistake of ensuring you couldn't spam higher level powers and completely forgot about the fact lower level powers can be just as good and equally as spammable. Why would I drop Dishearten for Mind Wipe?

Mind Wipe does more damage on its augment 4 (3d8 IIRC) and Dishearten only does 2d6. But dishearten is 2 PPs, so I can use Dishearten twice compared to Mind Wipe. In addition dishearten is actually better than a level 13 power. Mind Wipe imposes a penalty to the first attack the creature makes equal to your charisma mod. Dishearten imposes a penalty to all attack rolls equal to your charisma modifier until the end of your next turn.

Summary:

Dishearten: Augment 2
    2d6+int damage
    Penalty to attacks equal to charisma until end of your next turn.

Mind Wipe: Augment 4
    3d8+int damage
    Penalty to the first attack roll equal to charisma

You don't have to be the worlds most adept power gamer to look at that and realize something is fundamentally wrong with these powers. If you consider I can use Dishearten twice, I can get 4d6+2mods compared to mind wipe. Mind wipe won't even out-damage that low level power! Getting 2xmods basically ensures mind wipe is worthless in comparison!

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TSI|AwesomeTSI|Awesome Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

(but that is my default response to any "no player will ever because" statement)

The problem being, no, players will. That said I'm not perfectly on board with the suggested changes. A more holistic approach in general would have been to make the epic tier powers actually worth it compared to the heroic tier powers. Which they messed up because the design here is terrible. If they had actually succeeded on this, then a change of making the power points you get per level equal to the max augment cost of a power you take would work. If the heroic tier powers were significantly worse, and they were also punished for holding onto lower tier powers by having less power points overall, this would probably be the cleanest solution.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think, although they do need to fix upper tier powers, they really should just keep the amount of PP's you have to a small number. At first, I couldn't quite figure out what was supposed to be so broken about psionics, but then Aeg mentioned the whole "Psions get a bajillion PP at epic tier," and all I could think was how dumb whoever decided that was a good idea must be.

In keeping with the at-wills/couple of encounters/couple of dailies, a fixed number of PP's, at least to me, sounds to most similar. And since that is one of the core parts of 4e mechanics, you would think they would have gone with the most similar option possible.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Couple of questions about my swordmage if anyone is feeling generous:

1) For Booming Blade, what constitutes "moving away"? I assume the effect triggers if the target begins adjacent to me and moves away?

2) Can enemies take opportunity attacks against me if I use a ranged immediate interrupt like Dimensional Vortex?

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    1) Yes. Any movement away from you on your turn. But it must be their movement, not just increased distance from some other source, like you moving.

2) OAs only happen on other people's turns. So if it's that guy's turn, he doesn't get one. Everybody else would, though.

Back to the topic of psionics; I don't have the book yet, but would it work to just cap the penalties available? Or make them static a la Righteous Brand? Edit: Is it also possible that the not automatic scaling at epic of damage is intended to encourage training into higher level powers?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh god, why are superior implements so disappointing?

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    hippofant wrote: »
    The impression I got (from listening to other people) was that superior implements are slightly confusing, but they're kind of like superior weapons; not really that impressive to spend a feat on unless you're going to be making other build choices around them.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Two days in a row I've had someone tell me 4E is like WoW. It makes me want to stab people in the face.

I was... enlightened as to the fact that 4E Paladins are just like Paladins from WoW, especially how they tank.

It makes me want to stab people.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The impression I got (from listening to other people) was that superior implements are slightly confusing, but they're kind of like superior weapons; not really that impressive to spend a feat on unless you're going to be making other build choices around them.
    Accurate: You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls made with an accurate implement.

Deadly: You gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls made with a deadly implement. The bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

Distant: The range of your area and ranged attack powers increases by 2 when they're used through a distant implement.

Empowered Crit: When you score a critical hit with an empowered crit implement. the attack deals
    1d10 extra damage. The extra damage increases to 2d10 at 11th level and 3d10 al 21st 1evel.

Energized: When you use an attack power through an energized implement. you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls if the power has the keyword that matches the implement's damage type.
    The bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21 level.

Forceful: Whenever you pull, push, or slide a target with an attack power using a forceful implement, the distance of the forced movement increases by 1 square.

Shielding: Whenever you hit at least one target with an attack power using a shielding implement, you gain a +1 shield bonus to AC and Reflex until the start of your next turn.

Undeniable: +1 to hit Will

Unerring: +1 to hit Reflex

Unstoppable: +1 to hit Fort
    Holy symbols
    Accurate symbol: Accurate
    Astral symbol: Distant, energized (Radiant)
    Warding symbol: Shielding, unstoppable
    Wrathful symbol: Empowered crit, undeniable

Orbs
    Accurate Orb: Accurate (duh)
    Crystal: Energized (psychic) [psions use orbs, by the way], undeniable
    Greenstone: Energized (acid), unstoppable
    Petrified: Energized (force), forceful

Rods
    Accurate
    Ashen: Energized (fire), unerring
    Deathbone: Energized (necrotic), undeniable'
    Defiant: Energized (Radiant), shielding

Staffs
    Accurate (broken record here)
    Guardian: Energized (force), shielding
    Mindwarp: Distant, energized (psychic) [psions can also use staffs]
    Quickbeam: Energized (Thunder), forceful

Tomes
    Echo: Distant, unerring
    Forbidden: Deadly, unstoppable
    Unspeakable: Empowered crit, undeniable

Totems
    Accurate
    Farseeing: deadly, distant
    Icicle: empowered crit, energized (cold)
    Storm: Energized (thunder), unstoppable

Wands
    Accurate
    Cinder: empowered crit, energized (fire)
    Dragontooth: Deadly, unerring
    Rowan: distant, energized (lightning)

And superior implement daggers were in the last CA sorcerer article. Soooo disappointing. None of the implement users in my playgroup would take anything but the accurate, for a... +1 bonus to hit. Whoopee.

hippofant on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    Two days in a row I've had someone tell me 4E is like WoW. It makes me want to stab people in the face.

I was... enlightened as to the fact that 4E Paladins are just like Paladins from WoW, especially how they tank.

Spirit Shamans are just like Shamans in WoW, especially how heal!

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tempest Fighter? More like Fury Warrior.

So fucking WoW emot-smug.gif

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The mechanics of psionic power points really just needs each augmented power restricted to once an encounter. Once you've done that, that puts them much more in line with the at-will / encounter / daily split that other classes get - further balancing may be required after that of course, but until they make that ruling, there's just no basis for comparison between psionic and other classes, so there's no way to get yourself into a balanced position.

soxbox on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    soxbox wrote: »
    The mechanics of psionic power points really just needs each augmented power restricted to once an encounter. Once you've done that, that puts them much more in line with the at-will / encounter / daily split that other classes get - further balancing may be required after that of course, but until they make that ruling, there's just no basis for comparison between psionic and other classes, so there's no way to get yourself into a balanced position.

At that point though it just begs the question:

Why not just have Encounter powers in the first place?

Answer: They should have, because fucking with the framework almost always leads to gross imbalance!

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Spirit Shamans are just like Shamans in WoW, especially how heal!

Oh and apparently there's a feat that makes it so that you have to attack the Paladin if he uses ... something? I wasn't even sure what she was talking about. She was talking about taking aggro from guys in an AoE and if you don't attack the paladin you take "uber," damage... ugh. It was all I could do not to roll my eyes. You don't have to attack the Paladin, mr GM!

SJ on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are many similarities between D&D 4e, WoW, EQ2, and many other MMO's, CRPG's, and other tabletop RPG's. It's just the nature of gaming.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    There are many similarities between D&D 4e, WoW, EQ2, and many other MMO's, CRPG's, and other tabletop RPG's. It's just the nature of gaming.

4e's just like Monopoly. You roll dice, you make money, and you buy shit with that money and anybody who can't pay? You DESTROY them.

hippofant on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

4e's just like Monopoly. You roll dice, you make money, and you buy shit with that money and anybody who can't pay? You DESTROY them.

That's only if you worship Tiamat, though.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That's only if you worship Tiamat, though.

Or Gruumsh. Except if you worship Gruumsh, you destroy them because they have no money. Or because they called you names. Or because you wanted to. Or because your coke-addicted dog told you he was a clown.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    soxbox wrote: »

At that point though it just begs the question:

Why not just have Encounter powers in the first place?

Answer: They should have, because fucking with the framework almost always leads to gross imbalance!

Exactly. Aegeri's proposed change fixes the horrible balance issue, but leaves the augmentable classes with less overall powers than other classes, as they only get 3 in total.
    I posted earlier in the thread about how I think that the classes are boring because of this.

They tried to make the classes flexible, but because of the way the powers are made they have less options than other classes in the game.

The whole system is just broken and just fixing the spamming low level augments at higher levels doesn't fix them.
    Back to the topic of psionics; I don't have the book yet, but would it work to just cap the penalties available? Or make them static a la Righteous Brand? Edit: Is it also possible that the not automatic scaling at epic of damage is intended to encourage training into higher level powers?

That would seem to be the case, but the problem is that the higher level psion powers are not beefed up like you would expect them to be. The level 27 6 point augments are still only 2d8 damage compared to level 1 2 point augments being 2d6 or 2d8 as well.

MrBeens on
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It seems like the only reasonable way to fix the classes that isn't just some backdoor way of nixing the psionics mechanic and giving them normal encounter powers is to do some combination of errata to reduce the power of the low-level augments and errata/new powers to improve the strength of the late-game augments, so that the decision to use a 6-point augment or 3 2-point augments is actually a meaningful choice.

Which doesn't SEEM like it'd be all that big of a deal to do, but then again I guess you have to actually get the devs to admit that the current system is broken, first.

Abbalah on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Deadly: You gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls made with a deadly implement. The bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

Distant: The range of your area and ranged attack powers increases by 2 when they're used through a distant implement.

Empowered Crit: When you score a critical hit with an empowered crit implement. the attack deals
    1d10 extra damage. The extra damage increases to 2d10 at 11th level and 3d10 al 21st 1evel.

Energized: When you use an attack power through an energized implement. you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls if the power has the keyword that matches the implement's damage type.

Forceful: Whenever you pull, push, or slide a target with an attack power using a forceful implement, the distance of the forced movement increases by 1 square.

Shielding: Whenever you hit at least one target with an attack power using a shielding implement, you gain a +1 shield bonus to AC and Reflex until the start of your next turn.

Holy symbols

Orbs

Rods
    Accurate

Staffs

Tomes

Totems
    Accurate

Wands
    Accurate

And superior implement daggers were in the last CA sorcerer article. Soooo disappointing. None of the implement users in my playgroup would take anything but the accurate, for a... +1 bonus to hit. Whoopee.
    That doesn't seem that bad at all. Think about what you get when you take a superior weapon proficiency; a minor damage or attack boost, and maybe a secondary effect like Brutal. I'm seeing a lot of that here.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited March 2010

And I said as much to the individual. Paladins (for instance) are going to be very similar to each other in any setting; at least any setting where Paladins don't suck.

SJ on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Holy symbols

Orbs

Rods
    Accurate

Staffs

Tomes

Totems
    Accurate

Wands
    Accurate

That doesn't seem that bad at all. Think about what you get when you take a superior weapon proficiency; a minor damage or attack boost, and maybe a secondary effect like Brutal. I'm seeing a lot of that here.

How does the feat work? Do you take Superior Implement proficiency: wands, or Superior Implement proficiency: Cinder wand?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm pretty sure most MMO classes are based on D&D anyway.

If you're old enough you can kind of see the fantasy game evolve when a rare original idea happens.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most MMO classes are based on D&D anyway.

If you're old enough you can kind of see the fantasy game evolve when a rare original idea happens.

Yea, this. Games have been being influenced by each other since Gygax first put pen to paper.

streever on
  • Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Video games have Gygax to thank, and 4e has video games to thank. So it's circular.

The only way that 4e resembles WoW is at the very baseline level - if you're looking solely at the powers. If you just see powers, you'll see where people can draw the comparison. But reading below the surface skin, the difference is gone. It's about small groups of tactical badasses doing what they do best. The MMORPG comparisons are so tiny then, it's funny. In a sad, pathetic sort of way.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No, you don't understand. I spent significant part of my recent life playing WoW, and there are a lot of similarities I noticed in 4e when I started playing it. They are very similar.

I'm gonna go hit my head against a wall now.

SJ on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    No, you don't understand. I spent significant part of my recent life playing WoW, and there are a lot of similarities I noticed in 4e when I started playing it. They are very similar.

I'm gonna go hit my head against a wall now.

I can find similarities in Marvel Comics or Dante, too. It's all fantasy. They share tropes.

--

So, since psionics is broken if people just stick with level 1 powers, what if they were forced to take more typical power advancement? Would psionics be balanced if people were simply not allowed to abuse the quirks?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Jack HobbesJack Hobbes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you MAKE people replace their lower-level powers, psionics actually seems fairly balanced.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you MAKE people replace their lower-level powers, psionics actually seems fairly balanced.

Sweet.

Then this will be my house rule until they fix it so I don't have to write off an entire power source.

Thanks. <3

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How does the feat work? Do you take Superior Implement proficiency: wands, or Superior Implement proficiency: Cinder wand?

Superior Implement Proficiency (Cinder Wand)

FelixSomethingSomething on
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The underlying assumption behind those arguments is usually that 3.5 or 3.0 or 2e somehow wasn't similar to wow or everquest, which is obviously false.

MikeMcSomething on
This discussion has been closed.