As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crazy people protesting funerals

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Connor wrote: »
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    The three part test I am talking about has been used in cases since the one you talked about. It is no longer necessary to prove that speech can only be regulated if it presents clear and presesnt danger to public safety. Now it only has to prove that it serves significant government interest.

Left out of my original post

Part B also stipulates that said regulation is narrow in focus.

While I agree with you that SCOTUS may use the three-part test to determine if this speech should (or could) be regulated, I don't think it will pass in this instance.

Truly I need to see that actual issue that the SCOTUS will be deciding on. Based on the OP's article it's kind of hard to tell.

If the SCOTUS is deciding whether it was unconstitutional for Maryland to fine the group for their actions, well that's a different story.

If they are ruling on whether or not free speech should be regulated in THIS instance is a different matter.

Here's the ruling that was appealed: http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/081026.P.pdf

Maryland didn't fine them. Snyder (the father) sued for damages, and won for emotional damages; this was overturned in the appellate decision on the basis that their speech was protected.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah anti-lying laws seem great right until you get to the point where 'lying' is defined. Without extremely narrow and tailored definitions, (slander and libel for instance) you've just poked a hole in free speech that leaves it completely vulnerable.
    Quid wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Okay. I'm down from my rage high.

When I made the thread, I was mostly seeking fellow-ragers that these types of protests, no matter how poor in taste they are, are fully 100% legal and within their rights to take place. I know the reality is that freedom of speech has place here. I just really fucking wish it wasn't for these people but my wishing on it isn't enough merit.

Well yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone would love for them to be on the receiving end of some horrifying fantasy or another. But that's not something that should enter in to the law making process.

Absolutely. We all wish that we could just shoot terrorists who blow up children in the face as well, but recognizing the right to a trial is important. Hell, I wish the silly geese on the Jersey Shore would all get slow painful fatal cancers or that we could just not let any of the teabaggers or Bushies vote, but principal won't allow it
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    The three part test I am talking about has been used in cases since the one you talked about. It is no longer necessary to prove that speech can only be regulated if it presents clear and presesnt danger to public safety. Now it only has to prove that it serves significant government interest.

Left out of my original post

Part B also stipulates that said regulation is narrow in focus.

While I agree with you that SCOTUS may use the three-part test to determine if this speech should (or could) be regulated, I don't think it will pass in this instance.

Truly I need to see that actual issue that the SCOTUS will be deciding on. Based on the OP's article it's kind of hard to tell.

If the SCOTUS is deciding whether it was unconstitutional for Maryland to fine the group for their actions, well that's a different story.

If they are ruling on whether or not free speech should be regulated in THIS instance is a different matter.

Appellate decision - It was not so much about the location of the protest, which was not in the immediate vicinity of the cemetery but the content of the protest along with a written document (an "Epic") that said terrible things about how God hates gays and all the bad stuff that happens to America or Americans is because we don't kill gays etc etc.
    It was undisputed at trial that Defendants com-
    plied with local ordinances and police directions
    with respect to being a certain distance from the
    church. Furthermore, it was established at trial that

Snyder did not actually see the signs until he saw a
    television program later that day with footage of the
    Phelps family at his son’s funeral.

The complaint alleged five state law tort
    claims: defamation, intrusion upon seclusion, publicity given
    to private life, IIED, and civil conspiracy. The Defendants
    moved for summary judgment on those claims, contending,
    inter alia, that their challenged words "constitute[ ] expres-
    sions of opinion, which are not actionable." J.A. 239.2 They
    asserted that their words "are clearly rhetorical, hypothetical,
    religious and laced with opinion," and that "it is impossible to
    prove or disprove these things, particularly given that doctri-
    nal viewpoints drive the opinions." Id.
    ..In objecting to Instruction No. 21,
    the Defendants asserted that "the First Amendment has more
    of a heavy balance even in civil cases than just anybody not
    wanting to be offended."
    The basis for the decision (having the jury determine a matter purely of law and not facts, and incorrect application of 1st Amendment standards) starts ~p20

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I kind of hope some court at some point does ban protests outside of funerals. Especially as it will only apply to complete assholes

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I kind of hope some court at some point does ban protests outside of funerals. Especially as it will only apply to complete assholes

It's really just not worth opening that avenue. Public is public, and these guys are definitely the only people I've heard of that do it. Well over half that asshole's congregation are directly related to him. I mean seriously, we're talking about the minoritiest of minorities.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

What if the people are protesting on behalf of the deceased?

Cervetus on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

But what if I wanted to protest outside Hitler's funeral? Do you want to support Hitler?

They are complete assholes, but unless violence is almost certain, I don't think they should be banned from being complete assholes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    whooo

t Cerv: how would you protest on behalf of the deceased? Wouldn't that be 'just being at the funeral'?

t. Cous: hitler is already dead, so no worries.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    whooo

t Cerv: how would you protest on behalf of the deceased? Wouldn't that be 'just being at the funeral'?

For example, if the person received the death penalty, anti-death penalty protestors might like to show up in support.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    whooo

For example, if the person received the death penalty, anti-death penalty protestors might like to show up in support.

tough titty, it isn't their funeral

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    whooo

It isn't the family member's funeral either if it is a public funeral.

Couscous on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    whooo

It is their sidewalk, however.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    t. Cous: I don't care
    t. moniker: I don't care either

there is no good reason to protest at a funeral. You can protest anything you would protest at a funeral (or directly outside a funeral) at any other time and not be a silly goose.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    there is no good reason to protest at a funeral. You can protest anything you would protest at a funeral (or directly outside a funeral) at any other time and not be a silly goose.
    I forgot the "not be a silly goose" exception to fundamental rights. It must be right up there with "people who hold unpopular views" exception.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Since there doesn't need to be a reason, let alone a good one, to protest in the public square...well, I guess I don't care either then. They have a right to be assholes. Tough titty.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I forgot the "not be a silly goose" exception to fundamental rights. It must be right up there with "people who hold unpopular views" exception.

I don't think it should be a fundamental right to make the death and burial of a loved one even worse for someone else.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

'I don't care' that you don't care, we don't make laws and take away rights based on your level of concern.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

what if they were having hitler's funeral and and talking about how awesome he was and planning where to put the next concentration camps in his eulogy?

What if as part of a funeral ceremony, they sacrificed kittens to satan?

etc

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I don't think it should be a fundamental right to make the death and burial of a loved one even worse for someone else.

It is an implied right from the right of free speech. It is the same as the implied right to tell a person they are going to hell and god hates them while they are playing with their child in the park.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NotYou wrote: »

what if they were having hitler's funeral and and talking about how awesome he was and planning where to put the next concentration camps in his eulogy?

What if as part of a funeral ceremony, they sacrificed kittens to satan?

etc

I'm pretty sure those two are already against the law.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

It is an implied right from the right of free speech.

I'm just saying that if that right were stricken, I'd be fine with it.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

So you are fine with denying freedoms due to people using it in an unpopular way.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I wouldn't be.

Impasse.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

So you are fine with denying freedoms due to people using it in an unpopular way.

heh.

In this extremely specific case, yes. Funerals are a very private intimate ceremony. The fact that they often must be held in a public area shouldn't mean that they can be intruded on in any way.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    moniker wrote: »

I wouldn't be.

Impasse.

agree to disagree sir!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I assure you that if we were having gay marriage in the US, there would be scores of protestors outside telling everyone how they were going to burn in hell for the sin of being in love. The people at the wedding would then be just as offended. So I guess we need to ban protests there too. Oh, and what about at a graduation. What if we had some kids graduating with their shiny new degrees in human cloning or something fundies don't like, well then they would also be justifiably upset by the protest. Looks like we have to ban protests there too.

You unfortunately cannot suppress one form of offensive speech, without fiddling with everything. If you said to me, 'Would you rather have protestors at your funeral, or at your wedding' I'd take them at the funeral every time.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'd support banning protests at weddings too.

I'm not offhand sure that there have been any (probably have I guess).

Maybe I just don't like public protests at private ceremonies.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

So we should only ensure people have the right to protest under certain specific conditions that the government deems allowable.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

So we should only ensure people have the right to protest under certain specific conditions that the government deems allowable.

or maybe just not at private, intimate, expensive ceremonies.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would much rather some asshole abuse his free speech rights than the government abuse loopholes created in response to some asshole.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    I would much rather some asshole abuse his free speech rights than the government abuse loopholes created in response to some asshole.

I couldn't look at someone who just had their freshly buried son called all sorts of forms of "silly goose" and tell them that though.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Wouldn't be the first time laws have been passed to enforce basic human decency.

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

you mean like free speech zones?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I detest these people, and I hate that they're doing this but I support their right to do it. That's just part of being in the United States. The best way to get rid of them is if everyone would just take the high road and ignore them completely.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I couldn't look at someone who just had their freshly buried son called all sorts of forms of "silly goose" and tell them that though.

As shitty a situation it is, and I feel for the family here, I'm not prepared to put holes in the constitution because someone made them angry.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Then turn away while you uphold basic liberties.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

As shitty a situation it is, and I feel for the family here, I'm not prepared to put holes in the constitution because someone made them angry.

I'm not sure if the holes aren't already there, and maybe outlawing calling dead soldiers faggots at their funerals wouldn't maybe be a good thing.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I'm not sure if the holes aren't already there, and maybe outlawing calling dead soldiers faggots at their funerals wouldn't maybe be a good thing.

Do you really think that's what the wording is going to be? The end result is, it becomes an example where a judge has said "we find this kind of free speech to be useless" and that is ALWAYS bad.

Just because Bush made his "Free Speech Zones" when everyone was letting him do whatever the fuck he wanted with the country doesn't mean you say "Oh well, constitution boned anyway, nevermind guys."

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Detharin wrote: »
    Popular speech does not need protection.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Do you really think that's what the wording is going to be? The end result is, it becomes an example where a judge has said "we find this kind of free speech to be useless" and that is ALWAYS bad.

Just because Bush made his "Free Speech Zones" when everyone was letting him do whatever the fuck he wanted with the country doesn't mean you say "Oh well, constitution boned anyway, nevermind guys."

what is useful about protesting a funeral?

and no, I doubt that would be the exact wording hehe

Xaquin on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    what is useful about protesting a funeral?

and no, I doubt that would be the exact wording hehe

We all know who the Westboro Baptist Church is and what they stand for, that's what is useful about it

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg