As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crazy people protesting funerals

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Interfering and preventing someone from expressing their opinion through disruptive displays and actions.

Who decides someone did this.

And as Yod pointed out, why does their speech trump mine?

SCOTUS

They where there first, they came to bury someone, the WBC came to protest said burial. One follows the other. There is also limited number of places you can bury people, there are lots of places you can protest gays.

Seriously the hairspliting and Sophistry in this thread is extreme.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Depends on your purpose: To offer a counter argument or to simply drown out mine. Drowing out mine expression of free speech is not in itself free speech. Hecklers veto and all that.

Even a geniune display of free speech could be regulated in order to avoid a public disturbance. In your case if you got there second, the police can tell you to move somwhere else(and will if it gets loud). If I had a permit for that location, then the goverment would not give you a permit for the same place.

Free speech is universal, but it still uses common sense regulations in order to function.

You are arguing for rules that are already in place. This has nothing to do with outdoing someone else's free speech anyway.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    How do you want me to demonstrate that? Hm? You want me to go to one of these protest and ask around?

So you have no proof these protests cause a significant danger to anyone?

What about emotional danger, hm? Do you believe in emotional abuse?

Gay parades are emotional abuse of people who believe homosexuality is a sin.

BOOM, gay parades are banned. Nice going Jokerman!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Interfering and preventing someone from expressing their opinion through disruptive displays and actions.

SCOTUS

They where there first, they came to bury someone, the WBC came to protest said burial. One follows the other. There is also limited number of places you can bury people, there are lots of places you can protest gays.

So am I not allowed to go protest outside of Boy Scouts events because of their homophobic policies?

Am I not allowed to go protest U.S. military events for the same thing?

Seriously though I think you might be mixing up what 'protest' means.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

SCOTUS

BUT THEN YOU MUST AGREE THAT GAY PRIDE PARADES IS WRONG!

AND FLAG BURNINGS!

WHY DO YOU HATE FREE SPEECH?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How do you want me to demonstrate that? Hm? You want me to go to one of these protest and ask around?

So you have no proof these protests cause a significant danger to anyone?

What about emotional danger, hm? Do you believe in emotional abuse?

Do you have proof of any lasting emotional damage?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/081026.P.pdf

Seems to be the appellate decision for those interested.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

AND FLAG BURNINGS!

LOOK AT ME I'M TYPING IN ALL CAPS TO EVADE THE VERY SALIENT POINT OTHERS ARE MAKING AGAINST ME! HAHA!

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

AND FLAG BURNINGS!

It would be nice if you would actually explain what prevents people from applying the same logic to those things. Why can't people ban gay pride parades and flag burning solely for finding them offensive?

Quid on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's all well and good to say that reasonable limits are required on speech, but creating perfect limits has always eluded the SCOTUS, so they've decided that all free speech is better then faulty rules on free speech.

Now if only they'd apply that fine legal judgment to the death penalty. Ho hum.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

AND FLAG BURNINGS!

It would be nice if you would actually explain what prevents people from applying the same logic to those things. Why can't people ban gay pride parades and flag burning solely for finding them offensive?

Because the venue is whats important for there protest, not there message. that is something that differentiates it from almost any other protest imaginable.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

AND FLAG BURNINGS!

Because the venue is whats important for there protest, not there message. that is something that differentiates it from almost any other protest imaginable.

The venue is called the "Public"

you might recognize the public from such things as "the sidewalk", or "The street"

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lord Yod wrote: »

SCOTUS

So am I not allowed to go protest outside of Boy Scouts events because of their homophobic policies?

Am I not allowed to go protest U.S. military events for the same thing?

Seriously though I think you might be mixing up what 'protest' means.

Seriously there is a difference between protesting and heckling. Offering a counter-argument to someone is protesting. Attempting to prevent others from excercising their free speech is heckling, heckling is not free speech. All heckling is protest, but and this is important not all protests are heckling. Its up to the SCOTUS to decide which is which. Which they are specificaly empowered to do.

Silly gooses, nobody is denying that WBC has free speech rights, what this debate is about is if they instead trying to prevent others from using their free speech rights by interfering with funerals. The Decider? SCOTUS.

Like I said Hairspliting and Sophistry galore.

Kipling217 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You should just admit that what you are saying here is that we should ban free speech from a public place, because it will offend people.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The venue is the public.

Again, why can't those things be removed from any public venue that people find offensive?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JebusUD wrote: »

AND FLAG BURNINGS!

The venue is called the "Public"

you might recognize the public from such things as "the sidewalk", or "The street"

Or in this case, outside a funeral.

But hey, don't let me get in your way.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I'm not finding any laws against heckling that aren't related to A: Private property or B: Public safety. I'd really like a cite.

Quid on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As much as I enjoy the thought of shoving a large rock into the mouth of each of those backwards.. uh.. silly geese, I will always believe that there should never be a restriction on free speech except one designed to protect people from actual harm. Hurt feelings do not count.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited March 2010

What makes the funeral special enough to abolish free speech on the public property outside it but the main street of a patriotic town not special enough to abolish war protesters?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Silly gooses, nobody is denying that WBC has free speech rights, what this debate is about is if they instead trying to prevent others from using their free speech rights by interfering with funerals. The

They are not interfering with the funeral. They do not stop it from happening and the funeral, as it passes through public, may continue on it's way.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "BUT IT'S OUTSIDE A FUNERAL" is not a rational excuse to curb free speech.

Kagera on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay. I'm down from my rage high.

When I made the thread, I was mostly seeking fellow-ragers that these types of protests, no matter how poor in taste they are, are fully 100% legal and within their rights to take place. I know the reality is that freedom of speech has place here. I just really fucking wish it wasn't for these people but my wishing on it isn't enough merit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I don't think "Outside a funeral" is a legally recognized location. I don't see what bearing that has on this. The are only two locations of importance in this discussion. Public and Private.

These people are having a protest in public. This is protected by free speech.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Okay. I'm down from my rage high.

When I made the thread, I was mostly seeking fellow-ragers that these types of protests, no matter how poor in taste they are, are fully 100% legal and within their rights to take place. I know the reality is that freedom of speech has place here. I just really fucking wish it wasn't for these people but my wishing on it isn't enough merit.

Well yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone would love for them to be on the receiving end of some horrifying fantasy or another. But that's not something that should enter in to the law making process.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Seriously there is a difference between protesting and heckling. Offering a counter-argument to someone is protesting. Attempting to prevent others from excercising their free speech is heckling, heckling is not free speech. All heckling is protest, but and this is important not all protests are heckling. Its up to the SCOTUS to decide which is which. Which they are specificaly empowered to do.

Silly gooses, nobody is denying that WBC has free speech rights, what this debate is about is if they instead trying to prevent others from using their free speech rights by interfering with funerals. The Decider? SCOTUS.

People having a funeral on private property are not engaging in free speech as far as I am aware.

Also I'm not sure how you got sidetracked onto what is and isn't heckling, as it doesn't seem relevant to this discussion.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Upon reading the appellate decision, it seems that the first trial (which Snyder won) was decided by the jury on the basis that the signs and internet postings made by WBC members were directed specifically at Snyder and his son, with specific intent to cause emotional distress (through phrases like "God hates you" and the tale of how Matthew was raised to love Satan).

The appellate decision references precedents such as Hustler v Falwell and similar cases to draw a set of parameters about what is asserted fact (stuff you can sue for) and what is opinion (stuff protected by the first amendment). The judge references a radio host describing a contractor in Iraq as 'hired killers around the country' and how this is obviously hyperbolic rhetoric designed to spark a debate, and thus protected by the constitution.

The meaty part of the decision (wherein the judge applies various First Amendment tests to what the WBC was doing) basically says this: the signs were, to a reasonable person, not asserting facts about Snyder or his son specifically, and were not objectively verifiable, and thus were obviously rhetoric, and protected speech. He describes the epic on their website in much the same way:
    In context, the Epic is a recap of the protest
    and was distributed through the Church website, which
    would not lead the reasonable reader to expect actual facts
    about Snyder or his son to be asserted therein.

Furthermore, the judge allows for the fact that we might want to have protests held just a bit further away from things like funerals:
    Nonetheless, the various states and localities, as well as
    grieving families, may yet protect the sanctity of solemn occasions
    such as funerals and memorials. Indeed, governmental
    bodies are entitled to place reasonable and content-neutral
    time, place, and manner restrictions on activities that are otherwise
    constitutionally protected.

Honestly there's nobody that hates these guys more than me, but as the law stands now it seems pretty clear that what they're doing is constitutionally protected.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My biggest issue with free speech is that people are fucking retarded and will get fooled by the Glenn Becks of the world with blatant lies.

There should be some sort of law banning blatant lying in a public forum. I don't mean stuff you disagree with (politics, religion, etc) but stuff that is completely and factually untrue. It's one thing to say 'Allah is the one true god' (cause, hell, who knows) and another to say something like "Obama totally said he was gonna rape your grandma and kill her."

It hurts society quite a bit, at that.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Magus` wrote: »
    My biggest issue with free speech is that people are fucking retarded and will get fooled by the Glenn Becks of the world with blatant lies.

There should be some sort of law banning blatant lying in a public forum. I don't mean stuff you disagree with (politics, religion, etc) but stuff that is completely and factually untrue. It's one thing to say 'Allah is the one true god' (cause, hell, who knows) and another to say something like "Obama totally said he was gonna rape your grandma and kill her."

To some extent there is a law against that, it's just usually a lot more trouble than it's worth to try and fight it. It also strongly depends on the positions of the two parties.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Then you'd outlaw satirical rags like The Onion.

Robman on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Simple enough to deal with. Just need a Parody Clause and your good.

Road Block on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

People having a funeral on private property are not engaging in free speech as far as I am aware.

Also I'm not sure how you got sidetracked onto what is and isn't heckling, as it doesn't seem relevant to this discussion.

Well, first off disrupting a private function on private property is definitivly not free speech. So if thats what the WBC then they got to go. Just so we got that out of the way. Most cemetaries are however public property or public space in one way or other.

Then I got to ask you what is Funerals to you? I mean its obviously more then simple waste disposal, its often a religious ceremony or secular display of grief. How is that not a form of free speech? I am not allowed to show grief because an asshole wants to make a political point? Again what are funerals if not a display of free speech? There are after all two parties in this debate WBC and the attendees of the funerals. Focusing on the free speech of WBC without considering the Free speech of the attendees is just as wrong as blanketly banning WBC from making their point.

And Heckling is the core of any argument made here. These are not two separate events, one is happening in response to the other. If one event is made to purposefully prevent or disrupt the other, how is it free speech? How is my free speech protected when an asshole can interupt me without me having any recourse? Do you have the right to prevent other people from talking by screaming NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH loudly while they try to make their point?

Heckling is the core of this case. Is WBC heckling soldiers funerals. Do they have the right to do so? Do we have any recourse to stop them.

Edit. PS. the Constitution is not a suicide pact.

Kipling217 on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited March 2010

Well, first off disrupting a private function on private property is definitivly not free speech. So if thats what the WBC then they got to go. Just so we got that out of the way. Most cemetaries are however public property or public space in one way or other.

Then I got to ask you what is Funerals to you? I mean its obviously more then simple waste disposal, its often a religious ceremony or secular display of grief. How is that not a form of free speech? I am not allowed to show grief because an asshole wants to make a political point? Again what are funerals if not a display of free speech? There are after all two parties in this debate WBC and the attendees of the funerals. Focusing on the free speech of WBC without considering the Free speech of the attendees is just as wrong as blanketly banning WBC from making their point.

And Heckling is the core of any argument made here. These are not two separate events, one is happening in response to the other. If one event is made to purposefully prevent or disrupt the other, how is it free speech? How is my free speech protected when an asshole can interupt me without me having any recourse? Do you have the right to prevent other people from talking by screaming NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH loudly while they try to make their point?

Heckling is the core of this case. Is WBC heckling soldiers funerals. Do they have the right to do so? Do we have any recourse to stop them.

Edit. PS. the Constitution is not a suicide pact.

The Constitution does not protect free speech. The Constitution protects free speech from interference by the government. There is no weighing going on between the effects of the government interfering with speech by one party and that party's speech effects on another party's speech because on is forbidden by the Constitution and the other is not. It's the same reason that NBC is allowed to air a pro-life commercial and refuse one from a gay dating site.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Really, the only way to stop WBC is to drop a bomb on their complex. They're certainly not going to stop otherwise. But that, of course, is murder. Which is illegal. Whereas free speech isn't.

It sucks that people like this are allowed to say what they want, but the rule is freedom for everybody or freedom for nobody, since there are so many shades of gray concerning what constitutes "offensive". I've railed against WBC and people like them for years (partially because I'm a Christian and feel they represent horribly the things I believe and partially because they are a sociopathic group of people that take no one else's feelings into account), but they have the right to say what they want in public, just like anyone else.

And as much as I love what freedoms we do have in this country, it pisses me off that those people can spew their idiocy just about wherever they want.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone should protest in front of their church with a bunch of giant posters of Jesus getting sodomized. That'll even the score a little bit.

fshavlak on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    fshavlak wrote: »
    Someone should protest in front of their church with a bunch of giant posters of Jesus getting sodomized. That'll even the score a little bit.

Read The Love that Dares to Speak its Name out loud.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Love_that_Dares_to_Speak_its_Name

Couscous on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It would be entirely legal.

I'm canadian but we essentially have the same rules as you guys (minus a few differences) and it amazes me that we live in a civilisation where it's okay to be a dick but it's not okay to get back at someone for being a dick.

Sipex on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

What you are proposing is terribly dangerous. It would have a huge chilling effect on free speech because it would give the government the power to go after political opponents.

The solution to "bad" speech isn't a government ban on such speech. The solution is countering it with "good" speech.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow, read the whole thread. At first I could see how these people should all just be sprayed with a firehouse or something, but they have the legal right to do what they are doing.

Take comfort in knowing they will all die after accomplishing nothing with their lives and will probably never see the falling apart of the country or a religious apocalypse. Oh, and not to throw this off topic but this is even better if you're an atheist, they will waste their lives for nothing lols epic fail.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow, read the whole thread. At first I could see how these people should all just be sprayed with a firehouse or something, but they have the legal right to do what they are doing.

Take comfort in knowing they will all die after accomplishing nothing with their lives and will probably never see the falling apart of the country or a religious apocalypse.

It's all I have.
    Modern Man wrote: »

What you are proposing is terribly dangerous. It would have a huge chilling effect on free speech because it would give the government the power to go after political opponents.

The solution to "bad" speech isn't a government ban on such speech. The solution is countering it with "good" speech.
    Bah, you know that good news doesn't outweigh bad news in the media.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know what's eventually going to stop protesters being asshats?

Portable sound barriers.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576