As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft Game Room - Pitfall, Super Breakout, more - 5/5, supposedly

• Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So apparently you also gain tokens/free plays when people come to YOUR arcade and play/try out the games there.

So yeah, messing around with my arcade. For the few people actually messing with this, throw me a friend request. Would love to try out some of the games I'm questionable about.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Crystal Castles feels a LOT jankier than I expected with the analog stick.

Aoi on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »
    So apparently you also gain tokens/free plays when people come to YOUR arcade and play/try out the games there.

So yeah, messing around with my arcade. For the few people actually messing with this, throw me a friend request. Would love to try out some of the games I'm questionable about.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Crystal Castles feels a LOT jankier than I expected with the analog stick.

I'll be home in about an hour. I'll fiddle with it a bit later tonight.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fiddled with the default showcase arcade for a bit. The ten minute demo timer is more than enough to figure out if a game is worth a buy or not.

I tried Jungler.

Turns out the Jungalo lifestyle is not for me.

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm a little disappointed you don't get to "walk" around the arcade. It would have added a nice touch. But so far, the only negative I have found is the limited amount of games available at the moment. I'd like to see less console games and more arcade games.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    More Arcade games for sure. This has just made me install Games For Windows Live.

Going to buy some cross-platform games, really liked using this on my 360 earlier.

It's all about Shao-Lin's Road!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The surprise game for me right now is Battlantis. I am enjoying the hell outta this game.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    More Arcade games for sure. This has just made me install Games For Windows Live.

Going to buy some cross-platform games, really liked using this on my 360 earlier.

It's all about Shao-Lin's Road!

Ya gots to come see my set-up, Fraggle.

Haha, I bought a few games. The mascots are wandering all over the damned place :D

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Downlording now.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    DamagemanualDamagemanual Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I downloaded this before I left for work.
    I'm not too keen on the prices but I'm sure I'll bite on one or two titles just for the hell of it.
    So feel free to add me to the list.

Gamertag: damagemanual248

Damagemanual on
    3DS Friend Code: 0301-9784-2762
    Pokemon White: 3353-4309-8670

(PM me if you add please)
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just took twelfth in Astrosmash with 193k :D

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I actually stayed up to get this at launch this morning, and definitely had some fun tooling around with it.

Purchased Centipede and Finalizer, both are great fun

Jungler is not, however

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This is a neat idea, but my problem thus far is that most of these games are a generation above what I grew up on.

If we can get some Capcom classics like Ghosts 'n Goblins, or Captain Commando we'll be in business. Generally anything from '87-'94.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What's your gamertag, vow?

Aoi on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Barring any specific licensing issues, I'm pretty sure you whippersnappers will start seeing games you're more familiar with.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For the life of me I cannot get combat to work. I used to play the hell out of that game in my youth, and I'm getting real pissed not being able to play it.

Also, Yars Revenge = <3. So many fun memories.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Add me to the list as well.

DoctorArch.

I will probably pick up Tempest, but I really miss the fine control one can get with a dial. The only other game I was able to try before work was Crystal Castles, which is still great.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited March 2010

DesmondHumeWins

And since you asked about Finalizer, it's a shmup that feels like an earlier (but not archaic) version of something like 1942. Really damn fun.

I'm gonna try out Battlantis and Shao-Lin's Road when I get out of work, since I've seen a few suggestions

I never played Crystal Castles with the track ball, but boy, it is janky as hell with an analog stick

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

DesmondHumeWins

And since you asked about Finalizer, it's a shmup that feels like an earlier (but not archaic) version of something like 1942. Really damn fun.

I'm gonna try out Battlantis and Shao-Lin's Road when I get out of work, since I've seen a few suggestions

I never played Crystal Castles with the track ball, but boy, it is janky as hell with an analog stick

Any game that originally played with a trackball or other non-standard, non-joystick input is going to be janky on a gamepad.

It's like trying to play Tron without some kind of spinner control. You're not going to be having much fun. But on the plus side, short of having a specially made control device, everybody else will be having the same issues too.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah but I've never played Tron so I kinda don't know what you're talking about (I was born in '86 man, all of this stuff is way before my time).

For reference, the first arcade game I really got into was Mortal Kombat II

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah but I've never played Tron so I kinda don't know what you're talking about (I was born in '86 man, all of this stuff is way before my time).

For reference, the first arcade game I really got into was Mortal Kombat II

Download the Tron demo and see what I'm talking about. Specifically the mini-game where you're trying to enter the MCP by shooting the blocks.

Tempest is also a good example where a spinner is pretty important for precision playing.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ShadowoftheKatamariShadowoftheKatamari Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feel free to add me too. I picked up Adventure (although I'm not sure why,) and I might be picking up Centipede, Millipede, Tempest, and Crystal Castles.

Edit: Oops, forgot my Gamertag. It's Kuribos Hat.

ShadowoftheKatamari on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The Millipede thing is weird

They did the 2600 version instead of the arcade version (which is what Centipede is)

Also I don't know your Gamertag

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gave a couple games a try with the tokens you start out.

Battlantis seems to be a more complicated Space Invaders with better graphics. Really tough.
    Crystal Castle is as fun as I remember, but the controls take a lot of getting used to.
    Shao-Lin's Road's not bad.

I could definitely see myself picking up a few games here once they expand their selection.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Aaaand back into the Game Room. I threw out a few invites too.

BTW, for those of you buying games? Play a ranked match and take a look over your arcade cabinet. See that banner with your gamertag and high score? That right there is your friend shared scoreboard :D Whomever on your friend list, including you, who has the highest ranked score for the game will show over everyones machine. I like that. There are some really neat little details going on here.

Aoi on
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do you have to buy the game right when you first try it to get the free mascot? Because I demo'd all the games and when I went back and bought some I got no free mascot.

Also anyone who feels like adding me for challenges and such, feel free. Tag is: mantis23

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Did you go out to your collection section on the Game Room main menu? There's a section for mascots there that you choose them in.

Edit: And has anyone messes with the Post Effects in the graphics menu? They let you add effects to the visuals like scanlines, bilinear filtering, bilinear with scanlines, and phosphor.

Something else that surprised me. I KNOW there was cabinet and marquee art for some of those Konami games...

Aoi on
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I tried everything. They were having issues earlier today so it may be related. I sent an e-mail to support but its not really a huge deal.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Awesome. I'm ranked 12th on the Road Fighter leaderboard with 137,480.

I'm 100% sure I can get into the top three.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    CDiggityCDiggity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yea i got it....its a good quick fix....feel free to challenge me any time
    Gamertag:CDiggi7y (yes with a seven)
    Current games: Tempest, Super Cobra, Asteroids delux, Finalizer.

CDiggity on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I forgot how much fun I could have with Yar's Revenge.

Many many great memories of spending nights with my Grandpa. Him sitting in his laz-y-boy, watching me play Yar's Revenge on his Atari Clone on the floor, a bowl of chocolate oatmeal in my lap....<sigh>

<sniff>

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So this doesn't work. Every time I try to start it up, it tells me to download a "game pack", even though I already have both of them.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lork wrote: »
    So this doesn't work. Every time I try to start it up, it tells me to download a "game pack", even though I already have both of them.
    A friend of mine had this issue and fixed it by redownloading them. Try that.

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Its pretty rad, I picked up red baron and lunar lander. In the future depending on what else gets released i may pick up some more.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Of 99 people on my friends list (I REALLY need to clean it out), only ONE other person has bought a game on this so far, and he chose Crystal Castles to buy. I am sitting content on just Red Baron for the moment, though I wonder what other games would be either a good deal, or would be more likely to be bought by other people.

The Listener on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know if it'll take off. 2 player game room? That was a nail in the coffin for me. Game rooms should have cap much higher at like 30-40 people, so, ya know, it actually looks like a game room.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    ShadowoftheKatamariShadowoftheKatamari Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oops, forgot my Gamertag. It's Kuribos Hat.

ShadowoftheKatamari on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is a neat idea, but my problem thus far is that most of these games are a generation above what I grew up on.

This is my issue as well. Without nostalgia to back them up, a lot of these old games (I'd say pretty much this entire launch line up) are just really, really, archaic.

Still, hopes for the future. The one free play on each cabinet is very nice of them.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It is, and while some of them I find archaic to the point of unplayability, you would do well to check them out anyways

Centipede
    Battlantis
    Finalizer

These don't really seem to have aged poorly at all, they would not seem out of place on the NES

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Surprised to hear my say this but... Once you get used to how and actually play Jungler, it's actually really fun.

Aoi on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's all about Battlantis for me :D

Turkey on