As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overheard at PAXEast 2010

124»

• Options
    luposlupos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    lojurive wrote: »
    I was tickled pink when I heard someone's ringtone as the "Codec" sound from MGS. Only at PAX!

I wish this was only at PAX. I hear it sooo much. I've got at least 3 friends hwo have it on their phones. -_-

lupos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]ALTEIL.com GM | XBL: lupos | My ALTEIL GM Blog
  • Options
    coderjoecoderjoe Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    A group of people spent over 2 hours setting up their newly purchased board game with hundreds of cardboard pieces in the Sheraton lobby (Android, I think). After another short time, my wife wanders over to ask who was winning. "The Game. The Game is winning."
    Haha, I remember saying that!

The game was indeed Android. Eventually we finished setting up, only to discover that we were much to tired to complete more than one round of the game. We really enjoyed every random visit from all the spectators. Each new visit helped to dampen the pain that was the setup of this game.

Let your wife know we did eventually complete setup, only to realize that we were too tired to finish more than one round of the game.

Here are some pictures of setup and our eventual celebration of the game starting:
    A little over half way through setup
    And then they read the most beautiful words in the manual "The game is now ready to begin."

coderjoe on
  • Options
    lojurivelojurive Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    lupos wrote: »
    lojurive wrote: »
    I was tickled pink when I heard someone's ringtone as the "Codec" sound from MGS. Only at PAX!

I wish this was only at PAX. I hear it sooo much. I've got at least 3 friends hwo have it on their phones. -_-

Well, I obviously don't have the right kind of friends since that's the first time I'd ever heard it! Honestly though, my husband and I are sort of a geek island of our own. Set adrift amongst the rednecks and jarheads of the military . . .

lojurive on
  • Options
    smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    coderjoe wrote: »

The game was indeed Android. Eventually we finished setting up, only to discover that we were much to tired to complete more than one round of the game. We really enjoyed every random visit from all the spectators. Each new visit helped to dampen the pain that was the setup of this game.

Let your wife know we did eventually complete setup, only to realize that we were too tired to finish more than one round of the game.

Here are some pictures of setup and our eventual celebration of the game starting:
    And then they read the most beautiful words in the manual "The game is now ready to begin."
    What is this 'Android' of which you speak? It looks like quite the game

Arkham Horror fanboy says 'ooooh, pretty'!

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • Options
    kevbayerkevbayer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Was walking out of the convention center, some dude in a wheelchair was sitting off to the side of the entryway between the inner and outer doors talking with some friends. Just as my wife and I walked by, we overheard him say to his friends "...and there was much rejoicing."
    I, and I think everyone else within earshot all responded with "yayyyy!" even though we weren't part of the conversation :-)

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
    My book reviews, twitter, FB.
  • Options
    LordDaxLordDax Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    smerk wrote: »
    "THIS IS LIKE HUSBAND SHOPPING!"
    ... This is important information.

I shall make a note of this and act appropriately at the next PAX.

Maybe I should barcode myself for next year...

Probably my favorite conversation ever overheard at 3am:
    Guy 1:Ninjas
    Guy 2:Pirates
    Guy 1:Ninjas have dark arts.
    Guy 2:So, pirates have guns
    Guy 1:Each pirate killed by ninjas would be resurrected as zombie pirates working for ninjas.
    Guy 2:You win....wait! Robot Pirates.
    Guy 1:Too slow.

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
    WoW - US Quel'Dorie - Daxius DwPr(Disc/Shadow) 80
    Give Back to those who serve us Become a Black Pie Day Pieoneer!
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LordDax wrote: »
    Probably my favorite conversation ever overheard at 3am:
    Guy 1:Ninjas
    Guy 2:Pirates
    Guy 1:Ninjas have dark arts.
    Guy 2:So, pirates have guns
    Guy 1:Each pirate killed by ninjas would be resurrected as zombie pirates working for ninjas.
    Guy 2:You win....wait! Robot Pirates.
    Guy 1:Too slow.

Wow, that's awesome. Way to go Guy 2.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    klzklz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    smerk wrote: »

What is this 'Android' of which you speak? It looks like quite the game

Arkham Horror fanboy says 'ooooh, pretty'!

Funny, since Android is also put out by Fantasy Flight Games. Take a look next time you check about the latest news on upcoming AH expansions. :)

klz on
  • Options
    LilybellLilybell Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My husband Friday night in the hotel room:
    Him: "I'm not sure if I'm not enough of a nerd or too much I stick out"
    Me: "You fit right in with everyone else."

This is the same guy who brought his Quail Man outfit and refused to wear it because he felt he would stick out.

Lilybell on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    ~LilyBell~

LilyH.png
  • Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "DUDE, the 80's is a PLACE!"

My friend, upon reaction to seeing the Arcade-room.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lilybell wrote: »

This is the same guy who brought his Quail Man outfit and refused to wear it because he felt he would stick out.

ha, me and my friend had snake and big boss stuff for out heads (hat/bandanna, eyepatches, mustaches) but we didn't end up doing. REGRET!

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    SoyduckSoyduck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Oh man, I would've loved some Quail Man action! That's a great cosplay! Patty Mayonnaise would be pretty easy to do too, haha! Oh, PAX, you have made us all EMBRACE our inner nerd-dom.

Soyduck on
  • Options
    RobProRobPro Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At the Dark Sun D&D event, our DM told the group that drinking our own urine for sustenance once wasn't poisonous, so immediately every character in the party gained a new daily power.

"Drink Your Own Piss"
    Target: Self
    Range: Burst 3
    Effect: You drink your own piss. Everybody laughs at you. You are hydrated.

RobPro on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Soyduck wrote: »

Oh man, I would've loved some Quail Man action! That's a great cosplay! Patty Mayonnaise would be pretty easy to do too, haha! Oh, PAX, you have made us all EMBRACE our inner nerd-dom.

gotta wonder though just how many people would have actually recognized it. i over heard a few people arguing about whether or not the Dr. McNinja cosplayer was a spy or not. i probably should have educated them on the matter, but thought i'd leave them be.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Your husband would've been my personal hero, just sayin.

That costume would've made the weekend that much better.

Oldmangloom315 on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Staxeon wrote: »
    In front of the merch table, by a larger gentleman, "Where are the 4X shirts?! You DO realize this is a GAMERS convention right?"

I have to laugh HARD at this, considering there was equal space dedicated to 4X shirts at the merch booth as there was to any other size shirts.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    Hunter RoseHunter Rose Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Let your wife know we did eventually complete setup, only to realize that we were too tired to finish more than one round of the game.[/URL]

I will! I managed a peek at the board before you finished setting up and it looked like a monstrous undertaking. If you ever get to play, I'ld like to hear about it.

Hunter Rose on
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    OH in line for...something... O.o;;

Girl: OMG why are you trading that pokemon??
    Boy: because that pokemon is a dick

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    ACAM GaryACAM Gary Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    "DUDE, the 80's is a PLACE!"

My friend, upon reaction to seeing the Arcade-room.

I like it!

Gary

ACAM Gary on
    President, The American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot
    579 Endicott Street North - Laconia, NH 03246
    The first 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and display of classic coin-operated amusements
    http://www.ClassicArcadeMuseum.org
  • Options
    king_e_dawgking_e_dawg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "You can't spell ignorant without IGN."

-Unidentified person with a press badge

king_e_dawg on
  • Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "You can't spell ignorant without IGN."

-Unidentified person with a press badge