As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4e]The Massacre at Ft. Dolor[game thread] Teleport-induced vomit!

• Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Deciding that it was probably a good idea to remain silent while the exhuberant man flaunted his money, Jordan's ears prick up at the idea of some adventure. "Hmm, a chance to 'cut my teeth' as it were. This is a most interesting proposition. Also I have heard the lands to the north produce the most divine ice wines... Yes, I do believe I will check out this fort, and what better way than to travel with these fine fellows." The term 'fine fellows' seems to be stretching Jordan's limits on politeness. However he does seem genuinely excited about the prospects this trip could provide.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    Jack HobbesJack Hobbes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zurin licks his lips.

"I...think we're gonna need a bit more information than that if ya expect anyone to go within a mile of this 'Dolor' o' yers. Walkin' into a strange town with only what you've already given us is a surefire way to get yerself killed."

Zurin reaches for another mug of ale, adding quickly "Assuming, o' course, that we agree to this offer o' yers at all".

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Well, these TOWNFOLK were usually very polite and cordial in past dealings with me. Them and their ancestors have had a rough time of things until lately, as you could expect from a place named DOLOR. There used to be a great white DRAGON who roosted in the mountain overlooking the town, that would habitually come and...quell the population growth of the settlement whenever the VILLAGERS numbered too many."

"About two years ago, however, a brave group of adventurers - so courageous, like YOUR GROUP, actually - stormed the lair and killed the dragon. It was about this time that I began my dealings with the folk, helping them recover from a century of dragon attacks, not to mention skirmishes with...CREATURES that would sometimes dwell in the neighboring forest. At first they saw me for a profiteer, but before long I was an ADORED member of their community."

"During my last visit, however, the fine folk there were very cold to me. I saw few people out of doors at all. Those that I did were terse, and wanted me to leave as soon as possible, even though I thought I was valued very highly in the community. The place has become very...lifeless, and is fading fast. I do not wish for this community to DIE, now, after it had soldiered through SO MUCH. But I do not have the slightest why my former friends are acting so. That is why I am asking, and offering payment for you fine folk to visit the town, and assess my comrades."

Jordan, Samael, Moridan:
    The perpetual grin that he was wearing at the beginning of his tale continuously faded throughout, until he looked as grim as Zurin near the end. There seems to be no doubt to you that he speaks the truth.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Well, that certainly is strange, sounds like an interesting little adventure. Travel to the small town, save them all, revel in the glory! When did they start acting strangely, how long after the dragon was slain?"

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Save them? From what, boredom? Trust me, kid, when a strange man approaches ya in a bar offering to pay a large sum of money to do something relatively minor, it always turns into an ugly and drawn-out affair. Always."

"And, speaking of large sums of money, how large a sum of money does this job pay?"

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "To answer your question, young man, I noticed it during my last visit to their settlement, two weeks ago. There had been a few MONTHS between that visit and the one prior, however."

"As for your query, master DWARF, I was anticipating on offering 100 gold for each of you to assist me in looking after my friends. As a show of good faith, I am ALSO offering it up front. I am a man who is ON THE LEVEL, and while it may be minor to you, I assure you this is serious to ME."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Yer paying UP FRONT? Okay what's really wrong with this place? Orc infestation? Overrun by an evil cult? Far Realm incursion? Out with it. Nobody pays strangers to just wander into some random town."

Insight to see if this guy is on the up and up 12

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Well, it seems to me that if it was something horribly wrong and he knew about it, then he would be smarter to pay us after we returned. Which we probably wouldnt if it was as bad as you suspect. Id say that if hes paying upfront that he really has no idea whats going on and just needs someone to have a look. I am up for it, and I imagine you will be too. Or is this "boy" going to show you who the real man is?"

Lardalish on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "If it were an orc infestation I'd do it for free." Moridan laughs while hefting his Mordenkrand "But for 100 gold each the least we could do is investigate." Then turning towards Menco, "But I make no promise that we will fix the problem, but if Luck is on our side we will see this village is half as bright and cheerful as you are. But if we do succeed, what further reward could be offered?"

(Diplomacy check 1d20+7=8)

Well i screwed THAT possibility up, I'm thinking Arumat does any and all negotiating from here with his +15 holy crap

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Zurin scowls as he leans in closer to Jordan.

"You callin' me a ninny, boy-o? I got battle scars older'n yer parents."

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A deep, rumbling bass of a laugh starts bellowing from Arumat's throat at the sight of the Dwarf and the boy quarreling. "If words won wars, I think the boy might have you beat, Dwarf!" Arumat then turns to the strange man and asks, "Seriously, you wouldn't be offering 100 gold crowns a head if you didn't at least suspect something, right? And based off this assumption, and the weight of the coin involved, I think a little trust is due us."(Diplomacyd20+15=34)

Booyah natural 19s

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Zurin:
    Your insight tells you that you think this man is being completely truthful, and not witholding any information that would get you killed.

Arumat: "Good dragon, I am trusting you by even MENTIONING this in the first place! I began seeking outside help because I'm out of my area of EXPERTISE! If the village was suffering from a slight disease outbreak, I would have just rolled up my SLEEVES and helped out. But this seems to be something in their MINDS. That area, I'm afraid, I have no knowledge of, besides my own."

Farangu on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Samael stands in silence, considering Menco's plea.

"If there is truly something amiss with these people, it stands to reason that there may be evil involved. In that case, I've no choice but to help. If it turns out to be nothing, I suppose I've lost little and gained a bit of wealth."

"I'm willing to go. How far away is this fort?"

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "The fort lies to the NORTH, a few days' trek away. It lies right under Plesha Peak, bordering the woods to the east. I've really given you everything I know, and there is nothing else I can ADD, other than I hope you can discover their ailment."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Samael nods, then turns to the waitress and bows his head slightly before holding out the flagon of wine to her.

"It appears I won't be needing this after all, madam. My apologies."

Samael then turns and begins to move back towards his table to collect his tome.

"I'm going up to my room to collect my things for the journey."

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Zurin scowls as he leans in closer to Jordan.

"You callin' me a ninny, boy-o? I got battle scars older'n yer parents."

Jordan turns to Zurin calmly, "It certainly looks like I am. Would you care to prove me right and refuse the offer?" Turning back to the odd man making the offer, "Now, I might be willing to go, but as has been said I wont go blindfolded. Do you know of any other merchants or travelers that have been through there since the change? Perhaps they would have information you were not privy to."

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Zurin eases back in his chair.

"Oh, I'm goin' all right. But I'm doin' it to prove a point. When this all goes south and yer lyin' in the dirt with a dagger in yer back, blood fillin' yer lungs, just remember who said that this was all a bad idea."

Zurin hops down off his bar stool and gives himself a thorough shake. A few more empty bottles fall out from of his frame.

"I'm ready to do this whenever. We can make introductions on the road."

!Ready to move on

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    With a silent nod, Arumat implies his readiness.

!Ready to roll

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Wheres you sense of adventure, Jordan?" Moridan said to the boy, "Menco has obviously told us all he knows. Now lets get going" And with that he picked up his Mordenkrand and walked out of the tavern

!Ready, Lets do this

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Are we rentin' horses, or makin' the journey on foot? How far away is this 'Dolor', anyway? And I've already accepted the job, so where's my clink?"

Would prefer if we had a chance to RP on the road, where we can make introductions and have lots of colorful arguments about things that don't matter.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Samael grabs his tome from the table and snuffs the candle there.

As he walks to his room to pack his belongings, he begins to think about their destination...Fort Dolor, Plesha Peak...these places sound familiar, and he searches his mind for some useful bit of information...

History(1d20+16)=21

!Ready to go, would also enjoy some on-the-road RP.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Menco's face regains his jovial color.

"Oh, WONDERFUL! As promised, here are 100 crowns for EACH of you!" He counts 500 gold pieces, divvies them into 5 bags, and leaves them on the table for you.

"As I mentioned earlier, the fort lies directly under Plesha Peak. Take the main northerly road out of town and stay on it for 70 miles or so, until you reach a large forest. The road will fork; take the left path, and follow that for another five, and you will find yourself at DOLOR! You have made an old man so HAPPY! I await your return EAGERLY!"

And with that, he blows a kiss to the barmaid, and walks out the door. The barmaid, relieved, says to you, "Wow...he never left that quickly before...we're indebted to you five. Let me make good on it. I'm good friends with our town stablemaster, and if you are in need of a steed, I can arrange for you to get a fine horse for just 5 crowns a head."

You guys take as much time as you would like for RP on the road, I kind of rushed the bar scene in my day off. Same deal for signaling the end, just type !ready and you will reach the fort.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mundane:
    For the last 100 years, the area around Ft. Dolor, though rich in natural resources, has resisted all attempts to tame it. Attacks from the mountains, the forest, and the wilds—by threats both natural and unnatural—have always destroyed anyone trying to bring civilization here. The largest threat to the area was a white dragon, which was vanquished by adventurers two years ago. Since that time, the area has begun to prosper like never before. Other threats, such as goblinoids and wild animals, are still present.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Arumat mumbles under his breath about the prospect of riding horses. He'd always thought they made better meals than mounts, but a 70 mile trek on foot may just warrant being a bit lazy. Five gold is a pittance, considering it will save him a pair of boots that cost about that, and he shills out the coin.
    "North it is, THEN! Let us get GOING good folk, that WE may find DOLOR sooner than LATER!" he says in his best mocking imitation of Menco.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The barmaid tries to stifle her laughter.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    As Moridan is walking out he hears Zurin ask about horses and promptly turns around, "Now I'm not riding on no filthy horse, but I will certainly pitch in money to rent wagon." He says with a look of disgust at the thought of riding a horse.

He then sees the purses with the gold coins being placed on the table and whispers to himself as he goes to the table to collect his purse, "Bless the goddess, there's days I'd forget my head if it weren't attached"

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Samael pauses on the way to his room, gently hefts his bag of coins from the table and promptly spirits it away into an inner pocket of his robes.

With a start, he looks around the room and adds, "Many apologies, my manners escape me...I am called Samael, and it will be a pleasure to travel with the lot of you."

At this, he inclines his head to each of them in turn.

"I am comfortable with whatever form of travel the rest of you prefer."

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "All right then, north to Dolor it is!" Jordan collects his bag of coin, counts out the cost for the mount and hands it to the barmaid. "So, shall we head out?"

Jordan exits the tavern and heads for the stables to pick out a suitable horse.

Ok, Im ready to move on to the travelin, RP AWAY!

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Let us know when we're on the road.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    After you procure your steeds, you set out on the road. It is a fairly well traveled path, and you do not expect much in the way of trouble en route.

RP away, I'll just sit back and watch the magic. :D

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "So, I s'pose innerductions are in order, seeing as how we're headin' into the dragon's mouth, so to speak. Name and how useful ya are in a fight'll suffice."

"I go by Zurin. If ya've ever heard o' the Ragin' Bear, that's me. I mostly hit stuff with this 'til they stop movin'."

With the word "this", Zurin draws the axe from his belt. Rather than having a wooden half and following dwarven angular design, the entire weapon, haft and all, seems to have been forged by solid quicksilver. The head is bladed on both sides, and emblazoned on the side of each head is a single rune, carved in red.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO SPEAK PRIMORDIAL
    The word carved in Zurin's axe is the Primordial rune for "Axe"

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Samael glances at the inscription on Zurin's weapon.

"Axe. How...informative."

"As I said at the tavern, I go by Samael. I am practiced in the ways of the Arcane, and am no stranger to battle."

Just over Samael's shoulder, a gleaming orb hovers and casts a warm, radiant glow of colors that shift through the visible spectrum.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Yup, it's an axe alright."

It seems...unlikely to his companions that Zurin knows how to read, let alone read Primordial.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "And I'm willing to bet that you're quite proficient with it, too, Zurin," Samael says with an appreciative nod.

"It will be an honor to stand with to you in battle, should it come to that...or perhaps, behind you, as the situation dictates."

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Jordan of Eilenor is my name, I have no meager skill in the healing arts, though most of the fighting..." Jordan waves his hand beside him and a ghostly mist condenses into the shape of a large grizzly bear loping alongside his horse, "..is done by Achak. He seems to rather enjoy the taste of kobold. Though Im not sure how much he can actually taste..."

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Oh, he can taste it. I've been doin' th' spirits' work for a good three score years now, an' lemme tell ya: th' spirits are part o' the natural order o' things, and there ain't nothin' more natural'n what you can see an' smell an' taste. Good thing ya brought him out, too. We should be on guard. Missions like these always end with someone tryin' ta kill us."

With that, Zurin reaches into his furs and produces a shield (nothing more than a large hunk of bark) and starts fiddling its leather buckles in order to strap it to his left arm.

"An' what of YOU, dragonborn? Ya've been relatively quiet on the journey thus far."

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Bloody horses," Moridan complained "Why's it always have to be horses? Couldn't we just walk, I'm sure it wouldn't..." and he trailed off into inaudible grumbles as the group began their introductions

"Nice axe," He said after Zurin pulled it out, "But I prefer the squishing method" And he pulled out a Mordenkrand made from a solid piece of black stone that looked polished, but didn't shine in the sunlight. He handled it with the ease that could only be produced from a lifetime of use, "I'm Moridan, one of the few Avengers of Avandra, and with her blessings and the luck she'll provide I'm sure we'll have no problems solving this town's... ah... er, problem."

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "You know, I meant to ask you about that. What do you know of spirits? You seemed to know about my skills before I made mention of them."

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Arumat starts at being addressed, as all of his attention was being directed at not falling off the damnable hellsteed he was riding. "What do I do? I stop the hearts of those who threaten my friends or myself." He shrugs, supposing succinctness will have to do, as he returns to avoiding careening off the side of the horse. His clumsiness at riding is quite apparent, even comical.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "I know how you feel, my dragon friend," Moridan says before continuing to grumpily mumble to himself while the words "Bad Luck," "No bloody wagon," and "Shit-hole town" stand out amongst the constant mutterings.

Veevee on