As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hunter] The Field Project

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Esmer shrinks away from Hank. "What were you, y'know, executed for?" she asks, rather weakly, paying little attention to the computer.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Adrian smirks, "Fair enough, name's Adrian by the way. Last I checked I wasn't dead but after listening to you guys I'm beginning to wonder."

RawrBear on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Paul Rifkin, Esquire." He shook Adrian's hand by reaching his hand behind him, paying attention to his immediate area.

"Well, we're going to have a hell of a time getting out without hitting a security checkpoint. I wonder if there's anything the guy scurrying off left behind."

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bo sighs and makes sure his gown is covering everything. "I would prefer to work my way up the civilized ladder. First some pants, then a drink, then we can worry about guns. But hell, before that, did you boys figure out how to get the door open yet?"

He looks over the door holding them inside, "You think me and hot seat back there could pry it open?"

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Paul finds a few pens, some sheets of paper, general sort of office supply shit in the drawers of the desk the computer is on. Nothing else.

The room is actually very barren, outside of the pods and the computer there's really nothing in here.

Pony on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Look, ladies and gents." Paul moved over to the door. "We ain't going to get very far sitting around here for much longer. I doubt there are going to be any more reasons here. So, we should probably get the hell out of here and figure there may be other of us looking to do the same. They may also be righteously pissed or nuts, I figure."

"Can anyone think of anything else around here that isn't disgusting but useful?"

He looked to Bo, motioning to the handle. "I figure this would open it. But if you think you can open it without bringing the police in here, I think that might be preferable."

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Moose, you and one other person can make an Athletics + Strength check to try to pry the door open. You don't have much in the way of a pry bar, but you can try to brute force it.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Well, we don't know that these guys are... evil or anything, right? Like, not for sure? 'Cause they did heal us or whatever, and, maybe they'd be happy to see we were awake?"

Esmer smiles brightly.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "I'm all out of ideas, I'm going to pull that lever. Maybe security can answer a few questions. I'm a Federal Agent." Jack says, leaving out the 'of the National Park Service' part of his title. Getting up out of the chair, Jack grabs a stapler out of the mess of office supplies, and uses it to smash the glass around the lever.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Well, I look at this way. We pull the lever, the police definitely come. We open the doors and they just might come." He turns to nod at Esmer, "And hopefully, if this ain't a actual devil corporation, they wont shoot us."

He takes up a position at the door, "One you boys want to help me with this?

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "I guess trying to get on our own can't do too much harm. . .I'll get the other side." Jack says, hesitantly.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jack and Bo pry the door open.

The scene they see... well, it's a scene. It is quite... a scene.

Blood everywhere. There's bullet holes and huge... claw... marks on the walls here and there. Some of the other "Live Asset" labs have their doors open.

The hallway was the scene of some horrific battle, and it left casualties.

Four bodies are strewn about the hallway. Wait, no, three bodies. Those two pieces came from the same guy.

Two of them are dressed in black fatigues, and have body armor (although the body armor is basically worthless now, having been shredded to pieces).

Submachineguns lie next to their bodies, and one of them still has a pistol strapped to his thigh (His thigh, and the rest of that leg, is on the other side of the hallway from the rest of him, however).

The third body? It's dressed like a scientist. Labcoat, teal scrubs underneath, and a horrible monster gnawing on his throat.

What's the monster look like? Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's about 1k:
    oh-god-no-why.jpg

The creature looks up at you. It howls and gets up to lunge.

Roll Initiative.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sensing danger, Jack attempts to react quickly Initiative: (1d10+7=10)

"Jesus FUCK!" Jack exclaims at the carnage, and the beast springing at them; "Close the goddamn door!"

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Initiative: 9

Esmer staggers away from the door, cupping her hands over her mouth to stop herself from screaming, or vomiting, or both.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Initiative (8+5)=13

Quickly assessing the situation, his brain racked up a bunch of different possibilities for outcomes for what to do. The one thing he could come up with in time:

"WE FOUND THE SECURITY! LET'S GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!'

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Initiative: 5

"Christ, that is not good"

RawrBear on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Holee Shit!", Bo recoils from the scene trying to figure out if he should slam the door or make a dive for the machine gun.

1d10+6=10 Initiative: 10

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    IN AN AMAZING REVERSAL DECISION:

I have decided that initiative orders will just fuck up the game.

So, this is round 1. The monster is going to go at some point.

Each of you can move around and take 1 action.

Go in whatever order you feel like, fuck it.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    1 Investigation Success

Before shitting his pants at the giant, angry thing howling at them, he tries to make some sense of the situation.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Paul notices that the claw swipes on the wall, and the damage to the vests of the security guys, just could not have been done by this thing.

Sure, it's big, and has claws, but something bigger and with bigger claws was the one that did this damage. Whatever that was, it's not here right now.

Thinking back on the map, Paul realizes that they are in the hallway outside R7, and that the doors to R2, R3, and R4 are open.

Also, he notices that the pry job that was done on the sliding doors to R7 knocked them off the tracks, and now it will be near impossible to close the door with any sort of promptness.

Zen, that did not take up your action, you can still do something.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bo looks at the door, realizing that they have broken the one thing keeping them safe from ... it. Cursing under his breath he leaps towards one of the submachine guns and prays that the thing still has ammo in it.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Moose, you can take a shot with that SMG as part of your action. It's damage value is 2, so your roll would be 2 + Firearms + Dexterity.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Doors are fucked! I'd suggest the folks who can use a gun try to get one! I highly suggest we try to get the fuck out of here, grab their keys, and get to another area!"

"Before anyone asks: I died and I made myself king! Shoot it if it makes an attempt to try to kill us, but this thing did not kill these guys!"

Paul runs over to one of the guards to try to get any sort of clearance and any small equipment he can quickly pry off of the guy, especially anything that might stun someone or something.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bo prays with all honesty for the first time in his life as he snatches up the gun. Leveling it at the horror in front of him he squeezes the trigger.

Roll to shoot monster. Oh please god work. (8d10.hitsopen(8,10)=0)

Bo immediately remembers why he stopped going to church.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Freaking out, Adrian rushes forward and takes a wild swing at the monster!

Wild Punch: Brawl + Strength = 3

RawrBear on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    A bullet wings the creature, tearing a nice little gash in its shoulder, but it barely seems to notice. It dives at Jack, attempting to grab him by the throat.

This is an opposed check. Smart Hero, attempt a Brawl + Strength check to score a greater number of successes than our good friend here, who rolls 3 successes.

If you score less than him, you are grabbed.

If you score greater, you manage to evade his grasp.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The creature grabs Jack by the throat, seeming to ignore the solid punch to the back of the head it just received from Adrian. The hit does appear to do some damage, the creature just doesn't register it.

Lifting Jack off the ground, it howls again.

(That's the monster's turn for this round. Any attempts to shoot it from this point on stand a chance of hitting Smart Hero so long as it is grabbing him).

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Any sharp objects in the vicinity that I can see? Or any solid object to club it with.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Zen, Paul has gotten a Yellow Security Card off one of the guards, and a radio communicator headset, as well as 3 spare mags of ammunition for a SMG and a combat knife.

EDIT: Forgot something:

You also find a black... device, of some kind. It looks like, well... it looks like a black lightsaber handle from Star Wars is what it fucking looks like.

However, you can see that no light-beam is going to shoot out of this thing. It's got a pointed spike mounted inside it, and a spot for an air canister on the pommel (which is currently filled). If you pull the trigger, that spike is going to shoot out of that thing. Doesn't look like it'd shoot far, though, you'd basically have to have it against someone.

The spike? It's made of wood, for some reason.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Got a yellow card! Mags for the SMG and a weird device, thing!"

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Esmer dives behind the nearest medical bed.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "ey, Convict!"

He tosses the odd device over to Hank giving it to him to presumably use on the weird creature.

Get up close and shoot that fucker with this! It's weird looking and so is that thing, so maybe we got a winning combo!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    pony what do you want me to roll

is this brawl or weaponry + str or dex ?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    pony has gone to bed now :(

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You horsefucker

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If you are trying to use the thing on the monster, gimme a Weaponry + Strength + 2, Horseshoe.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hank catches the strange device in mid-air, and takes a run at the monster as it holds Jack aloft.

He presses it against the creature's back, and pulls the trigger.

A loud "snap" noise is heard as the wooden stake rails out of the handle and dives deep into the creature, penetrating flesh and bone to pierce it's heart from behind.

It freezes, dropping Jack, and makes a pained groan before it collapses into smoldering ashes between Jack and Hank. What was once a horrifying beast is now a pile of smoking dust.

The device, which now has a nine inch stake sticking out of the end of it, appears to have used up the entire compressed air cartridge in that shot.

Pony on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Okay, that was different than I expected."

Hank doesn't pause for too long, and pulls a pair of pants and boots off one of the guards before going for the pistol strapped to the leg on the other side of the hall.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg