As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAX Magical Mystery Tour: Prime 2010!

• Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmmm...I like the space invaders idea, I was going more from the song and sort of 70s psychadelic imagery with the rainbow patterns. Maybe the two could be combined, like maybe keep the background/skyline but with the space invaders coming down from above?

I'll work on it.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pinder wrote: »
    Since the logo last year was Donkey Kong hanging off of the space needle, I figured it might be cool if we kept the "video game things happening on or around the Space Needle" vibe. To wit, here's a rough idea I threw together at work:
    UCyo4.png

Obviously it needs text and a little bit of cleaning up, but I wanted to see what everyone thought. And before everyone asks, I stole the space invaders from another image and put them behind the Space Needle. I'm not that good at Photoshop.

Ooh this is fabulous :D

cabsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And done! How's this for a concept:
    MMT_Button_2_by_Springheels_Jack.jpg

Again, needs text, etc.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pfff, lol awesome 2nd design, but I'll be honest the rainbow color hurts my eyes.
    A gradient of light blue would be my choice.

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Here's an alternate, in case the rainbow isn't your type:
    MMT_button_3_by_Springheels_Jack.jpg

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Honestly, I'd have to say Pinder's design is way cooler and would be perfect if the Space Invaders were a bit darker colored against the sky.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love it!!! All of these designs are wonderful! I wanted to suggest we keep video games as a button theme, but since I came up with the Donkey Kong thing, I just figured I was being biased...

Great job, all of you!!!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like them both.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The results are in!

The most sought-after locations, as voted by you, in mostly-organized by most-desired ARE:

Downtown/Around Seattle Areas:
    Pike Place Market
    EMP
    Seattle Center
    Seattle Aquarium
    Ferry Boat Ride (WOOT!)
    Woodland Park Zoo
    Gas Works Park
    ----
    And with less than 10 (and more than 4) votes:
    Monorail Ride
    Pacific Science Center
    Seattle Art Museum (downtown)
    Puget Sound Islands quick trip

The Haters chose these locations as "Don't make me go there!" (With more than 5 nay-sayers each):
    MOHAI (really? Really?)
    Seattle Asian Art Museum
    Seattle Art Museum
    Wing Luke Asian Art Museum
    Puget Sound Islands day-trip
    Ride the Ducks

Ok, ok, so you all hate museums and culture. I get it.

For anachronistic and day trips, we have the following winners:
    Dick's Drive-In
    Tropy Cupcakes
    Archie McPhees (toy shop)
    and 5 excited people hoping to go down to Mt. Rainier

Gluttony and hiking is a good mix.

I also discovered that most of you are going to the Pre-PAX dinner or are still undecided. Let me assure you it will be awesome.

Everyone is also fairly mixed on a CCST meet-up, but that can be a break-off point or mini-break.

SO! Your new fearless leaders and I will start crafting a tour package just for you! And then we'll get out more details about how to join up, what kind of transportation we'll have, etc.

ALSO HOLY CRAP IT'S ALREADY JUNE! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!?!

See you soon.....

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Haha, I'd hardly call Ride the Ducks "culture." Although WTF MOHAI is awesome! SAM is great as well. At least we can agree on EMP, I wish all museums were that awesome xD

Looks like a good list, I'm excited as ever.

And yes, GO TO THE DINNER! It's a great time.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    D: What? No underground tour? Baw, well I guess I'll have to do that on my own then. And the japanese garden.

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    D: What? No underground tour? Baw, well I guess I'll have to do that on my own then. And the japanese garden.

Wuh woh! I was pretty surprised too, the Underground tour is usually (surprisingly) popular. So I went back to look at the results, and for some reason, my Google summary of responses isn't working! I'll have to go back and hand-check the results. You know what this means.........

SURPRISE TWIST ENDING!!!!!!!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Wuh woh! I was pretty surprised too, the Underground tour is usually (surprisingly) popular. So I went back to look at the results, and for some reason, my Google summary of responses isn't working! I'll have to go back and hand-check the results. You know what this means.........

:shock: DUN DUN DUUUUUN

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Here's a slight modification of Pinder's design - I messed with the contrast a bit and moved the tower over to the other side of the image.

seattlebadge.png

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    Here's a slight modification of Pinder's design - I messed with the contrast a bit and moved the tower over to the other side of the image.

seattlebadge.png

Ah, I like that one a lot better.
    I still like mine though.

We should have a vote on this, I was planning on ordering buttons soon.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Oh boy! Don't blame me for the extra work - unless that extra work takes us all to the Underground Tour. :mrgreen:

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Oh boy! Don't blame me for the extra work - unless that extra work takes us all to the Underground Tour. :mrgreen:

Everyone has probably had their fill of the underground tour. It makes sense that it's fallen from the rotation.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Re: button designs: Personally I think either style is fitting but I would modify both final options. Pinder's is nice, but to give better context, I would shrink the background so there's more than just a couple of Space Invaders visible and move the Space Needle up a bit to see more than just the top round piece. As for MasterHelios's design, I much prefer it over green than rainbow, but a lighter gradient would look better on a button, methinks.

As for this results business, I am ecstatic people chose the ferry boat ride, Pacific Science Center, and the aquarium! I imagine much silliness will ensue at these junctures. As for my complaints, I must resist the urge to foodie-rant on account of forgetting to submit my survey. Thusly I will punctuate this frustration by contenting to enjoy my cupcakes elsewhere.

Twinkie on
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I disagree with downsizing the background on Pinder's design, I do agree about the building though. The key thing to keep in mind is that the images posted here are much larger than the button will be. With the typical PAX button size being 1.5" you don't want the images being too small. Also, text still has to be added and the sky between the Invaders is just about right for fitting decent sized text in.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    New design, made the gradient lighter and moved things around to make more room for text. Also made the template more visible just to see it better.
    MMT_button_3_by_Springheels_Jack.jpg

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, when you get down to it, "The Underground Tour" just shows allot of empty space and some history. It is not like there is ancient city down there or anything. I could see how it would be grating for people who go on MMT yearly.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    actually, it IS an ancient city down there, in a manner of speaking. The street level was once about 10-20 feet lower that it is now, and all those store fronts and stuff are still there.

mostlyharmless on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ok, so it took me *forever* but I tallied up all the answers, and now I think I can understand how the Google summary of answers was able to screw up: there's just way too many damn options in that one question! Almost 30 check-boxes and I can see why it had some trouble....

I tallied up the votes for each location, and then I adjusted based on the votes to NOT go to that place.

So here now is the SHOCKING ENDING! With 8 or more votes (adjusted) and 10+ votes (unadjusted):

Experience Music Project (Twanggggg)
    Pike Place Market (What is the sound of one fish flying?)
    Seattle Center (Impromptu carnival!)
    Pioneer Square Underground Tour, back in the running! (Where vampires go to die)
    Seattle Aquarium (OMG SEA OTTERS)
    Space Needle: Look but don't pay (I'm at a place called Vertigo)
    Monorail Ride! (What?! It is a viable transportation method!)
    Ferry Boat ride! (I'm on a boat, bitch!)
    Woodland Park Zoo (Me and my Monkey?)
    Gas Works Park (...)
    21+ Adventure (Where age is only the requirement)

There was also a strong ambivalence to long trips and out-of area places, so we'll probably stick mostly to the city. Trophy, Dicks and Archie McPhees were winners.

Congratulations to our real winner! The surprising loser: Google form's summary of responses. And also, anyone who was hoping not to have to go on the Underground tour again. ;)

Scheduling and pricing up next!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    actually, it IS an ancient city down there, in a manner of speaking. The street level was once about 10-20 feet lower that it is now, and all those store fronts and stuff are still there.

Ok, but it is just one level and there is not much left. Apparently, the bank area of it was haunted. So, that adds some suspense.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You can find out more about it in that book

SONS OF THE PROFITS

availble at the gift shop

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    You can find out more about it in that book

SONS OF THE PROFITS

availble at the gift shop

What's with the font? Do you get a commission or something. Though I did buy this a couple of weeks ago as a gift. After reading the first few pages it does seem like a good book.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It is a good book, lots of fun tidbits and factoids.

mostlyharmless on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ah, this will be my first MMT so sorry for the vets who aren't as interested in the Underground tour. ^^; I'm glad to see it's still possibly back in the running though because I did want to check it out.

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    biorebootbioreboot Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah, this will be my first MMT so sorry for the vets who aren't as interested in the Underground tour. ^^; I'm glad to see it's still possibly back in the running though because I did want to check it out.

Ditto. I'm a first timer, also looking forward to the underground tour.

bioreboot on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've never done the MMT, but I've been on the underground tour before, a long time ago. It was pretty interesting and a little creepy at times.

It's really cool how you can look up through the purple glass on the sidewalk, you'd never know that glass was a skylight from just walking on street level.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The "seamstresses" remind me of the Seamstress Guild in Discworld. It had the same meaning. The funny thing is, in "Night Watch", an actual seamstress joined the guild.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When do you guys typically get going on Wednesday? I just want to know so I can figure out if I can schedule a flight in early enough.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    PinderPinder Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    When do you guys typically get going on Wednesday? I just want to know so I can figure out if I can schedule a flight in early enough.

Last year we all met at Pike Place at around 9am, IIRC. Can someone verify this?

re: The Underground Tour, you don't have to go. You can always just chill and hang around Seattle for however long it takes and then meet back up with the tour at a later stop. Nobody's required to go to every stop, feel free to pick and choose which ones you want to show up for.

Pinder on
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pinder wrote: »

Last year we all met at Pike Place at around 9am, IIRC. Can someone verify this?

re: The Underground Tour, you don't have to go. You can always just chill and hang around Seattle for however long it takes and then meet back up with the tour at a later stop. Nobody's required to go to every stop, feel free to pick and choose which ones you want to show up for.

Yep, we generally meet at 9 AM.

As for picking and choosing locations, that was less true last year due to our mode of transportation (party bus), but we did have so pre-arranged late meetups. This year, it looks like we will stick to mostly downtown areas, so we'll probably be using mostly public transportation.

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am vehemently against Ride the Ducks, but one of these days (perhaps when they go out of business finally???) we should get fershnickered and make it the MMT to [very hazily] remember.

Twinkie on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yep, we generally meet at 9 AM.

As for picking and choosing locations, that was less true last year due to our mode of transportation (party bus), but we did have so pre-arranged late meetups. This year, it looks like we will stick to mostly downtown areas, so we'll probably be using mostly public transportation.

Well I decided to just come in late on the 31st, so I will be joining you guys Wednesday morning right on time. Yay touristy stuff!

Ninja edit question. Do we greet the CST as well as the CCST? Want to know if I should prepare to welcome my fellow Edmontonians after their long drive.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Damn, wish I could come down from Vancouver a day early for this...
    I'm with the CST once again, any chance I'll be able to come along for one or more events?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Twinkie wrote: »
    I am vehemently against Ride the Ducks, but one of these days (perhaps when they go out of business finally???) we should get fershnickered and make it the MMT to [very hazily] remember.

I'm with you Twinkie. As long as that bit is on Wednesday, then I'll be set. Otherwise we can always get a group together for Shortys or Gameworks while others are riding the ducks.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    OK Peeps! Here is the schedule and sign-up form for the MMT! After this, I'm passing the torch to MasterHelios and his lieutenants!

If you have any issues with the schedule, tough shit! I did this on my lunch break! But go ahead and gripe if you need to!

Here is the OFFICIAL SIGNUP FORM! You will need to sign up if you want to ride along with us. "But, what's that other form I had to fill out?" You ask. That was just for locations, it doesn't count!

And the schedule:

WED

9 AM - 10 AM: Pike Place: meet at Pig, check out the market
    10 AM: bus (tunnel) or streetcar to Pioneer Square
    10:30: buy tickets for Underground Tour, check out Pioneer Square
    11:00: Underground Tour
    12:00: Lunch (SPECIAL SECRET LOCATION?!?!)
    1:00 PM: 3rd and James to get on #5 Bus to go to Woodland Park Zoo
    1:30-4:00: Woodland Park Zoo
    4:00-4:30: bus to EMP!
    4:30 - 6:30 PM: EMP/Sci-Fi Museum
    6:30 PM - whenever: Check out Seattle Center, Space Needle
    whenever: Monorail back to Downtown, Dinner!

THURS

9 AM: Pike Place, meet at Pig
    9:30: head down to Seattle Aquarium
    9:45 - Noon: Seattle Aquarium!
    Noon - 1 PM: Lunch at Westlake Center
    1-2ish PM: Meet CCST at WSCTC!

After 2 PM: ??? Break time, ferry boat ride, Pre-PAX Dinner, etc???

As you can see, there are still some holes that need filling that are dependent upon other PAX events. We'll fill in these blanks when we can!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yay! Two questions though.

(1) I don't have a cell number per say. I have a work provided BB that will not be travelling with me since it's Canadian only. I'll be picking up an AT&T Go Phone when I get into Seattle. Can I add my cell# to my sign-up later?

(2)
    Do we greet the CST as well as the CCST? Want to know if I should prepare to welcome my fellow Edmontonians after their long drive.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
This discussion has been closed.