Options

[Brink] and you'll miss the May 10th release date

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Do I get anything besides the ten dollar credit from amazon?

The Psycho Pack which is more bosserer then those two.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Do I get anything besides the ten dollar credit from amazon?

The Psycho Pack which is more bosserer then those two.

A quick image search confirms this.

I get to be The Scarecrow!

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So why does this game seem to have so much hype? From the few videos I've seen it brings nothing unique to the TF2/class-based objective style genre.

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pacifist wrote: »
    So why does this game seem to have so much hype? From the few videos I've seen it brings nothing unique to the TF2/class-based objective style genre.

I look at it more in comparison to CoD than to TF2. In that case, the unique customization and traversal systems and general emphasis on teamwork are what make this game exciting for me.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

1. S.M.A.R.T.
    2. Extreme Customization
    3. The Mechanics of Enemy Territory

Talkc on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To reiterate what Talkc mentioned (beat'd)

#1 - The S.M.A.R.T. movement system. Think Mirror's Edge + GOOD gun mechanics.
    #2 - Massive number of customization options, including customizable perks and a more flexible class system (wanna be a heavy medic? Go for it!)
    #3 - Emphasis on teamwork and gaining experience through team-play over simply killing mans.
    #4 - Bigger maps with multiple routes around the level using the movement system.

It's not a whole LOT of new, but it iterates on Splash Damage's previous efforts whilst cherry picking some of the best/most popular elements from other current shooters. It's not going to win everyone over, and it certainly shares some striking similarities to TF2 (though most of those are inspired by Wolf:ET, which was inspired by the original QuakeTF).

Oh, #5 - It's puuurtty :)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Personally I can't keep any enthusiasm for this until some sources outside of Splash Damage get a look at the PC version and I know more about this glowing halo thing.

Drake on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

The easiest answer is the S.M.A.R.T system. Pretty much all terrain is traversable.

"Man, I could hold this spot better from that ledge... I know, I'll wall run and jump to that ledge. seamlessly"

Customization so deep its borderline rediculous, and Splash Damage is striving to axe all the Features and things in FPS's that generally annoy the majority of gamers. (Snipers can go to hell)

Brink's gonna be a good one.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Am I the only person left who prefers to just shoot people? I need no incentive to go to places on a map, because I know already that if I go to them I can shoot people.

And forced teamwork can take a long walk.

Though I do miss the days of cctf where I was the only person on my team who thought it was tdm, and 60 kills later I was still at the bottom of the scoreboard, and my clan mates were still yelling at me to play my position. Good times.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah repping my Brink set

thanks for those sig images, carbonfire, they're awesome!

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

NP hated :^:

BTW, instead of collecting names for PC players in the OP, might I suggest just providing a link to the official PA Brink group? This is a Steamworks game afterall ;-)

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SMARTWANG

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    Am I the only person left who prefers to just shoot people? I need no incentive to go to places on a map, because I know already that if I go to them I can shoot people.

Though I do miss the days of cctf where I was the only person on my team who thought it was tdm, and 60 kills later I was still at the bottom of the scoreboard, and my clan mates were still yelling at me to play my position. Good times.
    By no means are you the only person, and that's a blight on the world that I've come to accept.

Frankly, if you want to just shoot mans there's plenty of other games for it. There is, however, a substantial portion of the population that enjoy other objectives and this is a game that's catering to them.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I have been hungering for a new fps, since the last one I cared 2 figs about was Quake 3.

If the pc version is decent then I'm confident that I can get myself onto a reasonably competitive team, and also confident that I can get myself the job of just shooting people. So it's not such a big deal. It still feels like these new fps are all about putting as many obstacles between myself and shooting other people as possible, though.

I do hope the game is good enough.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Am I the only person left who prefers to just shoot people?

No. You are in fact one of the many masses of people that prefer this. See CoD, See Halo 1 2 3 odst reach Deathmatch.

Overwhelmingly the vast majority of shooter fans just want to shoot things.

And thats fine.

But that also means Brink is not the game for you.

Talkc on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    BTW, instead of collecting names for PC players in the OP, might I suggest just providing a link to the official PA Brink group? This is a Steamworks game afterall ;-)

Will do!

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So have you been dormant with FPS games for a decade?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I have not seen or played one that I enjoyed since Quake 3. But I played Quake 3 well into the 2000s. Still haven't played an fps seriously in a few years, though.

I'll grant Halo, but the later CoD games had a lot more going on besides just shooting people. At least in my view.

I'm interested in Brink for its pedigree, because Enemy Territories and Quake Wars were solid, well designed games, and the smart system seems about as close as I'm ever to get to a decent movement system in an fps these days. It's not that I really mind the objective-based play, but I still plan on ignoring them as often as possible, and I'm sure I can make that work, at least enough for me to have fun.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    mr_mich wrote: »

By no means are you the only person, and that's a blight on the world that I've come to accept.

Frankly, if you want to just shoot mans there's plenty of other games for it. There is, however, a substantial portion of the population that enjoy other objectives and this is a game that's catering to them.

I actually also enjoy a good straight-up man shooter, but I hate, HATE "realistic" straight-up man shooters. Especially ones with free-for-all deathmatches. It leads to the worst sort of gameplay mechanics imaginable (spawn camping, corner camping, grenade spamming, etc.). And it's not even that I can't do well in DM/TDM, it's just that I feel dirty employing the "tactics that work" in those modes. And it's usually BORING.

Give me over-the-top weapons, super-fast movement and pin-point accuracy....now you're talkin'. But for realistic man shooters, I always prefer a more objective-based approach, because it keeps my brain more engaged, and it cuts down on those awful, awful gameplay tactics from free-for-all deathmatch games.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also, yes, "realism" as it's employed in modern fps is basically just taking the worst parts of what people expect realism to mean and hamstringing everything I want to do.

Only realistic fps I could ever stomach was Rainbow 6 and Rogue Spear. Even Counter-Strike relied to heavily on the parts of realism I don't like.

I really want Brink to be good.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The thing that got me excited about Brink is freedom of movement and loadout customization. It instantly made me think of all the fun I had in Tribes, loading out with high damage, short range weaponry in light armor. One of my favorite things to do with this set up was infiltrate behind enemy lines, then find a good spot for a ski launch into an enemy base for some generator/kiosk destruto-rampaging with the fusion gun, grenade launcher and mines in the spawn room. That was some good times.

I really don't mind the elimination of that kind of shenanigans in the spawning areas. I just don't want a system in place where threat ID is so trivial it eliminates similar tactics for objectives. Sure, there is the operative class and all, but that works against the flexibility that I loved so much in Tribes.

Drake on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Brink needs some jetpacks

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    NotYou wrote: »
    Everything needs some jetpacks

That's the way I see it.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'd prefer strafe jumping.

But I've yet to play a game where I wouldn't have preferred strafe jumping.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Awesome work on the sigs carbonfire, you rock!

ObiFett on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Incredibly happy that this is an Id Tech 4 game.

goggles on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    goggles wrote: »

Hey, maybe it'll be the first GOOD multiplayer game on id Tech 4 ;-)

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Quake Wars was awesome. Too bad nobody played it :/

goggles on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Quake Wars was awesome. Too bad nobody played it :/

I could never get used to the herky-jerky feeling of being tied explicitly to a 30 tick rate. Add in the weightless vehicles, fog of war affecting only players and objects (but not terrain), and the overall floatiness of the movement, it was a recipe for a game that just didn't "feel right".

I know Splash Damage has done a ton of work on the network side of things for this game, here's hoping it payed off. No matter how many awesome bullet points get plastered onto the back of the box, if it doesn't "feel" good, I just can't get into it.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are they addressing the 30 tick rate thing for brink?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have not seen or played one that I enjoyed since Quake 3. But I played Quake 3 well into the 2000s. Still haven't played an fps seriously in a few years, though.

I'll grant Halo, but the later CoD games had a lot more going on besides just shooting people. At least in my view.

I'm interested in Brink for its pedigree, because Enemy Territories and Quake Wars were solid, well designed games, and the smart system seems about as close as I'm ever to get to a decent movement system in an fps these days. It's not that I really mind the objective-based play, but I still plan on ignoring them as often as possible, and I'm sure I can make that work, at least enough for me to have fun.
    Yeah, they definitely over complicate games, tactics and teamwork are for morons. Battlefield 2 (My favorite game) would be so much more awesome if it was just standing in a circle shooting instead of teaming up in squads and using teamwork to capture objectives. In fact we over complicate everything! Fuck real life military and strategy and tactics, just simplify it and go back to shooting each other in lines, that would make everything better.

Shooters becoming "too complicated", I scoff at that notion.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

Supposedly they've done a ton of work on the network code of the engine, but as to whether that particular issue is fixed, that remains to be seen.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/brink/news/brink_game_engine_about_a_third_id_tech_4.html
    "We started out when we finished with Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for the PC. We didn't do the console versions of that game. We were the lead developer on the PC version. When we finished that, that was essentially id Tech 4. id, of course, were working on RAGE and they were using id Tech 5."

"But we had some specific requirements for this game, a lot to do with the networking model which has to work irrespective of the way you play. In essence it has to be fast enough that I'm permanently hosting a server just in case I want a friend to join me at any given time."

"We started from the ground up with id Tech 4 again," Wedgewood said, "rewriting the renderer, rewriting the network model and all the other bits and pieces. It's still probably about a third id Tech 4, and then a whole bunch of rewritten stuff and then some additional code id Software have shared with us. But it's absolutely based on that id Software platform, which is why it feels so solid when you land and when you hit stuff and all that kind of thing.

I'm sure this has been posted before somewhere. No absolute definitive proof that the 30 tick rate "feel" of the game has been fixed, but maybe some people who played at PAX could shed some light on that

*HINT*HINT*

@Kadoken: While I partially agree with you, and DO prefer strategy-heavy team-based shooters, I still think there's room in this world for the speedy over-the-top twitch shooters as well.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Honestly the tick rate thing did ruin Quake Wars for me, which is just a damn shame considering that I regard Wolf ET as the best MP shooter ever. (IMO.)

donhonk on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You plugged the group and made signatures! I will give you power over the others.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ahahaha, I'd completely forgotten I'd joined that group.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Antithesis wrote: »

You plugged the group and made signatures! I will give you power over the others.

Thanks! I promise to not let this power go to my head
    KICK! BAN! KICK! BAN!

Hopefully once this game gets going, and popular (fingers crossed), we can use the group to actually organize games.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

Supposedly they've done a ton of work on the network code of the engine, but as to whether that particular issue is fixed, that remains to be seen.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/brink/news/brink_game_engine_about_a_third_id_tech_4.html
    "We started out when we finished with Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for the PC. We didn't do the console versions of that game. We were the lead developer on the PC version. When we finished that, that was essentially id Tech 4. id, of course, were working on RAGE and they were using id Tech 5."

"But we had some specific requirements for this game, a lot to do with the networking model which has to work irrespective of the way you play. In essence it has to be fast enough that I'm permanently hosting a server just in case I want a friend to join me at any given time."

"We started from the ground up with id Tech 4 again," Wedgewood said, "rewriting the renderer, rewriting the network model and all the other bits and pieces. It's still probably about a third id Tech 4, and then a whole bunch of rewritten stuff and then some additional code id Software have shared with us. But it's absolutely based on that id Software platform, which is why it feels so solid when you land and when you hit stuff and all that kind of thing.

I'm sure this has been posted before somewhere. No absolute definitive proof that the 30 tick rate "feel" of the game has been fixed, but maybe some people who played at PAX could shed some light on that

*HINT*HINT*

@Kadoken: While I partially agree with you, and DO prefer strategy-heavy team-based shooters, I still think there's room in this world for the speedy over-the-top twitch shooters as well.

I played it at PAX. I got cut by some jerks with media tags after waiting for an hour and a half and then only got to play for five minutes. It handled better than quake wars, but my understanding of the objective was not clear in any way whatsoever, even after watching their training videos for a 1.5 hr wait. I could talk your ear off about gears 3, mortal kombat, or firefall though :P

BladeOfSanjuro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I see that there are two campaigns, any word on there respective storylines? Who are the VA's for the game?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It handled better than quake wars....
    If it feels better even after just 5 minutes, I'll take that as a good sign. Not too worried about the objective thing....this is a pretty deep objective-based multiplayer. Not grasping every nuance after five minutes is not a huge issue. But the feel of the game is.

How was Firefall btw?

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I found the objective easy. "The prisoner is escaping" was a very clear phrase for me. Also, the objective wheel was a nice way of telling me what my options were.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »

Yeah, they definitely over complicate games, tactics and teamwork are for morons. Battlefield 2 (My favorite game) would be so much more awesome if it was just standing in a circle shooting instead of teaming up in squads and using teamwork to capture objectives. In fact we over complicate everything! Fuck real life military and strategy and tactics, just simplify it and go back to shooting each other in lines, that would make everything better.

Shooters becoming "too complicated", I scoff at that notion.

Grats on missing the point so hard it makes me think you're aiming with a controller instead of kb&m.

(I can pointlessly reverse troll as well.)

Page- on
    stream
This discussion has been closed.