As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why am I always female?

SneezerSneezer Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
Misleading titles FTW!

Anyway, it just accured to me whilstn replaying Ass Erect :winky: that I always choose a female charactor first, did it with Neverwinter Nights, with Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, even with Deus Ex 2 I used the female Alex Denton, so what's going on? Could it be a deep repressed urge to change my gender or simple a want to get off with lesbonioc adventures :winky:

Either way, strange no?

tmpphp0si07o.jpg
Available for weddings, bar-mitzvahs and risings of the people against oppressive states.
Sneezer on

• Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The way I see it

if I hafta look at someone's ass for many, many hours running on the screen... its gonna be a chick's

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You like looking at female virtual characters.......?

Mugsley on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I do the same thing.

I've always thought of that as your approach to immersion in games.

Do you see yourself as the main character? (Hence you choose the same gender)

Do you see yourself controling the main character? (Hence you'd rather look at a nice ass for 15-40h instead of a muscly man.)

My other factor for the descision revolves around the look of the character. The females tend to have nicer models than the males.

Handkor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »
    You like looking at female virtual characters.......?

The do realize the irony of that, no?

Sneezer on
    tmpphp0si07o.jpg
    Available for weddings, bar-mitzvahs and risings of the people against oppressive states.
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hillean wrote: »
    The way I see it

if I hafta look at someone's ass for many, many hours running on the screen... its gonna be a chick's

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's sort of a tradition for me as well.

Started from a fighting game preference for quick weaker strikes and more mobility, also a preference for magic/ranged based units in a lot of RPG and SRPGS, became sort of a habit since then. Will usually pick them even in games where it doesn't matter.

Also I do it in MMOs when I play them for the whole added perk of conning stupid young men into giving me stuff.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's sort of a tradition for me as well.

Started from a fighting game preference for quick weaker strikes and more mobility, also a preference for magic/ranged based units in a lot of RPG and SRPGS, became sort of a habit since then. Will usually pick them even in games where it doesn't matter.

Also I do it in MMOs when I play them for the whole added perk of conning stupid young men into giving me stuff.

Further proof that there are no girls on the interwebz!

Sneezer on
    tmpphp0si07o.jpg
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Hillean wrote: »
    The way I see it

For those that can't see, I limed the quote that limed the quote.

Anyone wanna Xzibit that for me?

Morvidus on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Female characters generally look better because the male modelers and texture artists spend more time on them*, so it makes sense to play the better looking character.

One could also argue that I can be a dude whenever I want, so it's an additional step to the "escapism" factor.

*I would speculate.

reVerse on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    I do tend to play females in WoW. But I explain that with the males of the species looking like steroid-laden Belgian Blues. Literally, in the case of Tauren. And Draenei.

And I've mostly played Horde. All males of the species are hunchbacks. (At least until blood elves appeared.)

Echo on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I do tend to play females in WoW. But I explain that with the males of the species looking like steroid-laden Belgian Blues. Literally, in the case of Tauren. And Draenei.

And I've mostly played Horde. All males of the species are hunchbacks. (At least until blood elves appeared.)

Oh god, this. It's pretty clear they spent a lot more time on their female models...

Adus on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    In the beta the female taurens looked a lot more feral and muscular, actually. I think female trolls were hunched over too.

Echo on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Female horde looked downright grotesque in the beta. It was actually disappointing when they changed that.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I never play females if I can choose gender and I always try to choose a character who looks like me.

The way I see it, if I have to look at an ass for hours, I might as well look at MY ass. Cause it's AMAZING.

Bayonetta is the exception. DAT ASS

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Female characters generally look better because the male modelers and texture artists spend more time on them*, so it makes sense to play the better looking character

It's also that a man in armour looks like a fridge, whereas female characters tend to keep their waist. Which makes them look significantly more dynamic in movement.
    I never play females and I always try to choose a character who looks like me.

The way I see it, if I have to look at an ass for hours, I might as well look at MY ass. Cause it's AMAZING

You wouldn't give me your klyka bayonetta model though :(

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    In the beta the female taurens looked a lot more feral and muscular, actually. I think female trolls were hunched over too.

I thought all trolls were guys :lol:

Sneezer on
    tmpphp0si07o.jpg
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well when I played Horde, I was undead male both times. I thought they looked okay, even if they were hunchbacked. But all my alliance characters were female. Usually human or Draenei.

But for things like Mass Effect, I generally choose male.

Adus on
  • Options
    GoluxasGoluxas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I play female characters almost always, too. Like Xenogears of Bore, it started with fighting games. Specifically Soul Calibur, and more specifically Talim. Not only was she fast, but she was an awesome way to showcase guard impacting, and it was great to hear the cries of my friends as their Nightmare was beaten to death by a relentless little girl.

That mentality of thinking it's cool when girls beat down bigger, tougher enemies carried into other games.

Goluxas on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, in fighting games the female variant is always the more interesting one.

Sakura, another shotokan fighter, but more reliant on rushdown and mixups, and also fairly combo heavy.

Karin, fei long with more interesting moves and much more interesting rekkas.

Makoto in 3S is probably one of the most rushdown oriented character of the entire series.

Yuri from KoF is a kyokugen fighter who steal a heck lot of moves from SF's shotokan characters like a parody of them. :lol: Though the coolness factor is spread pretty evenly among the sexes in the series.

Nu from bazblue being a zone style character in a game based mostly on RTSD.

Bridget (though not really. :lol:) another zoner in a rushdown heavy game, and May for being able to control dolphins, orcas and mother effing whales. Though honestly every character in guilty gear is just way too cool.

The list goes on.

Though if a fighting game have males with styles i like I'm playing them too.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jesus Christ the op is a creep

Dsmart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think it's just restricted to RPG's thought, 'cause in Fighting games, it's always the technical warrior 'the 'Yoshimitsu' type.

Female voice casting tends to be better to I think.

Sneezer on
    tmpphp0si07o.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dsmart wrote: »
    Jesus Christ the op is a creep

Video Games - Sexual Business?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The 'lol if I'm going to be checking dat ass for hours it better be a womens!', no offence, sends off a massive creeper vibe. Like I wouldn't leave you alone with my little sister.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I usually go with the gender that doesn't look badly modeled.

For me, that happens to be female most of the time.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    The 'lol if I'm going to be checking dat ass for hours it better be a womens!', no offence, sends off a massive creeper vibe. Like I wouldn't leave you alone with my little sister.

Is she hot?

Sneezer on
    tmpphp0si07o.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    First time I ever made anything with the name Corehealer was in WoW years ago in early BC, my female Dreanei paladin who remains my oldest and best character. It was originally intended as a joke for some people who knew how shitty I was healing Molton Core my first few times in, and has become so much more, and everytime I make a new Corehealer I think of my pally. And a lot of my WoW characters on both sides have been female.

I typically use male and female characters equally, and choose what looks good in what suit of armor or who has the best face or body that I wanna run around in. I did it in Aion, in Mass Effect, in party based games like Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights and DA:O, and other games. I don't see ethier gender in a sexual sense, although it is usually better to look at a lady's backside rather then a man's.

The only time shit like this gets creepy is when people develop relationships with their characters that go beyond casual or roleplayer style. And start drawing. I'll just leave your imaginations with that.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    First time I ever made anything with the name Corehealer was in WoW years ago in early BC, my female Dreanei paladin who remains my oldest and best character. It was originally intended as a joke for some people who knew how shitty I was healing Molton Core my first few times in, and has become so much more, and everytime I make a new Corehealer I think of my pally. And a lot of my WoW characters on both sides have been female.

I typically use male and female characters equally, and choose what looks good in what suit of armor or who has the best face or body that I wanna run around in. I did it in Aion, in Mass Effect, in party based games like Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights and DA:O, and other games. I don't see ethier gender in a sexual sense, although it is usually better to look at a lady's backside rather then a man's.

The only time shit like this gets creepy is when people develop relationships with their characters that go beyond casual or roleplayer style. And start drawing. I'll just leave your imaginations with that.

Agree..mostly, but i8
    've dabbled in fanart before (see devart) nothign hentai based, and i'd never get into that sexual deviance like furries (shudder)

On a last note, I do play as guys eventually, just always choose women first, and I don't think it's an aesthtic thing, nor anything sexual. Hmph..I dunno, lol.

Sneezer on
    tmpphp0si07o.jpg
  • Options
    NineNine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I find it makes some games, or rather their story, more interesting to me. I blame Joss Whedon.

Nine on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What the hell is wrong with you people, if I'm playing the game I rarely look at my character. Or atleast I don't stare at it all the time.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I usually pick a female character because really, every bloody game has a big buff male main character and I like to mix things up once in a while.

Leitner: "No offence but you sound like creeps"? What?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    InexactQuotientInexactQuotient Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I tend to only play as guys as well. Like that other guy said, I think it comes down to if you're the type of gamer that puts yourself in the game, or if you feel like you're actually controlling someone else. People who feel like the latter I think also don't like silent protagonists, whereas I (being the former) love that sort of thing.

InexactQuotient on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't think there's anything "creepy" about having a sexual preference toward females and preferring to have one in front of you the whole game. "It's just a stupid virtual thing" is the sort of useless argument that could cover playing the whole game at all if you really bought into it.

I do tend to pick males in order to better place myself in the character myself, though.

Darlan on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Goluxas wrote: »
    That mentality of thinking it's cool when girls beat down bigger, tougher enemies carried into other games.
    I have this mentality as well.

Pick a form of entertainment, any form of entertainment, and chances are pretty good that, if there's some big bad that needs defeating, it's gonna be a man that's going to defeat him (because the big bad's usually a him too).

As a result, seeing girls kick ass is rare and refreshing and therefore more enjoyable to me.

It probably shouldn't be. But it is.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    After downing Illidan, I switch from my mage to a female blood elf paladin. I was just getting my wife into WoW, and I asked her to mess around with the character creator, and whatever she made, I would play. I love that fucking paladin so much, I tend to pay homage to it in most other MMOs I play where a female character would make an unlikely tank.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My brother, ever since he was like...10...only picked girls/ made girls. This ranged from fighting games to RPGs, to PC multiplayer games.

He turned gay. He can still crush people in whatever he plays though.

Oh, and all his avatars, they're always a girl named Fina, in honor of Skies of Arcadia.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If it's a game where equipment changes your appearance, I'll almost always play a female. If it's not, I usually don't have a preference.

It's like having a paper-doll mini-game.

For the record, I do the same thing with my wife; buying her random clothes and outfits for her to wear.

Maybe it's a fetish. :P

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I tend to only play as guys as well. Like that other guy said, I think it comes down to if you're the type of gamer that puts yourself in the game, or if you feel like you're actually controlling someone else. People who feel like the latter I think also don't like silent protagonists, whereas I (being the former) love that sort of thing.

I think it's interesting that sex is so important in 'putting yourself in their shoes'. For example, people are perfectly happy to put themselves into the shoes of a MIT scientist, or hulking space marine because that represents them? Look at L4D, it strikes me that the characters that best represent the player base are the other on the crucial characteristics (race and gender).

Leitner on
  • Options
    gearngearn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    What was that one indy game where the whole point was to make an attractive female as you possibly could and then walk down shady streets trying to not get raped?

gearn on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    My brother, ever since he was like...10...only picked girls/ made girls. This ranged from fighting games to RPGs, to PC multiplayer games.

He turned gay.
    o_O

I think you got your cause and effect a little mixed up there.

Beyond that, I think you may have made the "correlation implies causation" mistake.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I generally don't have a preference, though, when I have to go through some elaborate character creator (Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, etc.) I try to make them look as much like me as I can manage (or have patience for because damn it I want to play the game not look at somebody for 3 hours trying to make them look like me).

Though even in those games I rarely pay attention to what my character looks like because I am more focused on what is going on around them. Either way, male...female, doesn't matter to me I will be as immersed as the gameplay allows me to be.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
This discussion has been closed.