As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AC Challenge Thread 20: Make a Video Game

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Here's my entry:

bonniefist.jpg

PROX on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    20 stickers is not many stickers, how am I supposed to cover see my doll house with only 20 stickers?
    Concept denied!

Mustang on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    PROX, I'd play that game.

Paradise on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Can this image be for a new game within an already existing franchise?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Can this image be for a new game within an already existing franchise?

yes

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Paradise wrote: »

You and what army?

PROX on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Prox wins.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    PROX wrote: »
    You and what army?
    Prox wins.

armyoftwo.gif

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I can't decide what I want to do...

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    PROX wrote: »
    You and what army?
    Prox wins.

armyoftwo.gif

That would make a great entry.

DDV:

Jus do whatever. just start man.

PROX on
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wish I had more time too polish these, workworkwork is eating up my everything. But could not resist a sketchy game pitch ( i have tons of retarded ideals like this.)
    terriblejustterrible.gif

Edit-
    EXCEPT THIS IS AN ENTIRE SKETCH SHEET. But when I get time I HOPE to make an illus.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There is something fantastically wrong with your brain Ikage. Wrong in a way that produces so much good I can barely stand it.
    I'm killing myself laughing looking at the blue guy jumping in the thing...it's fucking hillarious.

Mustang on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh man I know exactly what I want to do, the trouble is me actually doing it!

If anyone wants to use my idea though I'd be willing to go in on a collaborators credit.

By clicking this spoiler and reading this proposed idea you are now legally obligated to say how awesome I am upon using this idea
    Idea: Metalbourne Mouth shitting game in the style of guitar hero :p

For legal reasons the metalbourne in this game is only coincidentally similar to the one on these forums and is in no way based on a real person.

Veritas on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thats a amazingly descriptive one page Ikage, and I love your cover Prox, I would so buy that Wii game. Usually motion control games are ass, but I would pay all my monies to downward smash my enemies into destruction.

(also lol paradise)

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Once you see it, you can't unsee it

HAhaha.jpg

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    AHAHAHAHA

Damn it Nap, I am undone.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sorry, but it had to be done :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The "Slippery" one is the funniest thing I've seen in weeks. He's deadly serious about this slipping situation and how it should be handled.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    bighand.jpg

Worst video game ever.

Mustang on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is mostly EarthwormAdam's fault that I worked on this as long as I did

Spoilered for H-Scroll and because it is 6am and I have no idea if I comped it adequately (please ignore the shitty logo)
    FinishedIGuess.png

I might post a game description if anybody is curious, and when I am no so exhausted

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Word Mustang. Nice tagline too lol.

Yay Fug, yay so hard. This would be like the best upgraded version of Ghouls and Ghosts ever. Rad.

Oh yeah, and post a game description when you are no so exhausted, because I am curious.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Okay!
    In SUPER Hero Slayer, players take control of a low-level imp who has usurped his master’s throne. The kingdom of Cynin has been ravaged by a war between light and dark, but a lone hero has almost dismantled the evil war machine. After stumbling into the last stages of the final boss fight, Imp delivers a killing blow to the hero, and uses the fallen sword to slay the boss and steal his dark power gem.

The player’s goal is to find and destroy the dark gem’s light counterpart. To do this, they must use the hero's corrupted blade to fight through a non-linear series of side-scrolling levels, laying waste to villages, strongholds, and the knights and heroes that attempt to stop them. Players will steadily raise an army of minions, and unlock upgrades for Imp and his army, until they are strong enough to lay siege to the city of Lumos.

Combat consists of simple sword, and eventually, magic combos. In addition, players will command a steadily increasing squad of undead minions that will assist in combat. Health is gained mostly through absorbing the souls of fallen enemies. When Imp’s health reaches a critical level, the gem transforms him into his massive ultimate boss form. While in this form he has a wider range of powerful attacks, and only direct hits to his power gem will damage him, but a single strike to his weakpoint will kill him. Players can exit the boss-form by harvesting the soul of a hero, or by absorbing enough souls from lesser foes.

Upgrades can include more health bars, more health while in boss-form, and the ability to enter and exit the boss-form at will (at the expense of temporarily critical health). In addition, the more levels that are cleared, the more powerful Imp’s legion and squad will become, at first starting as simple sword-wielding skeletons, and eventually upgrading to more powerful elite undead/demons.

And while Imp’s squad may be limited to only a few minions at a time, these army upgrades will also manifest themselves cosmetically throughout the game. For example, a siege launched later in the game may show Imp’s army and advanced units attacking in the background, laying waste to houses and strongholds, the sky growing dark with smoke. This is to give the player a tangible sense of building a powerful war machine, one that is marching across the kingdom and conquering all in its path.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fugitive, that is amazing. "Super Hero Slayer" needs to become a real game.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man good show Fug.

PROX on
  • Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hello everyone.

Ive been gone for a while but I couldnt resist this one. I tried. As soon as the I read the original post I got this idea and then dismissed it. Next thing I knew I was sketching out the title and then I proceeded to put way too much time into it.

Yes theres a story behind this and Ill try to type it out later, additionally since Ive been extremely unable to finish anything these last few months I thought Id toss it up even though its not very clean at this point just in case I dont get around to finishing it.

BLAH I type way too much sorry.

TestP1.jpg

TestP2.jpg

TestP3.jpg

TestP4.jpg

EDIT:

Okay my laptops not exploding yet so heres the story:

As soon as I read the challenge description the first image that poped into my head was a picture of Robert Khoo peeking around the corner at a Convention watching Scott Kurtz's table as people stopped and bought merchendise.

A long time ago Scott mentioned in his podcast a story of how at the end of a Con he was failing to sell anything and then Khoo walked up and reorganized his table top. Scott freaked out because Khoo was putting things out of order. But then Khoo walked off and hid and people immediately stopped by and started buying things.

Somehow between this and what Khoo has done with Penny Arcade I got several strange pictures of him fighting cows in space with a two headed monkey and pictured a very odd video game.

The game starts out with him waking up in a floating space prison abandoned by the law, chained to a two headed monkey and with his chest tattooed with three mysterious tattoos that still burn his flesh.

The game proceeds like a good action adventure while searching for "Khoos Clues" yea I cant believe I typed that, to find out why hes there and how hes going to get back to earth.

In the process he escapes from the prision, lands on an alien planet run by several types of cows and topless amazons, steals a Deep Crow Starfighter and blows up a Deep Cow Mother Ship before it destroys earth.

In any case, Robert Khoo, if you ever see this and are offended, I appologize. I mean nothing but respect mate.

Now Im going to run away before my laptop explodes.

EDIT: Spoilers added then removed.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I thought we were only supposed to post one image, but at the same time I can't complain when one of them is a alien cow squirting who-knows what onto some dude. Kudos.

edit/ Yay 5000 posts

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Don't you mean Khoodos?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Stop ruining my epic post count by outwitting my comments! Also, I am in the process of finishing my entry so please let this contest continue for three months before the poll as usual.
    a few days should be sufficient

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Uh, faded sneakers. Some of us are posting from work, man.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BAH!

Changed it into a one page deal so as to conform better to the thread. Sorry about previous post. Got a little carried away. Kind of a WIP still but thought Id toss it up.

VideoGame.jpg

EDIT: Spoilers removed.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Images in spoilers still load dude.

Also no worries. I'm not at work. I was just saying.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yay done finally, all it took was a rainy Sunday. So yeah, Odoodem, sorta like if Crash Bandicoot had a baby with the Lost Vikings and then went on a drug binge with Noby Noby Boy.

odoodemCONCEPT.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    haha that's awesome and maybe a bit disturbing too.

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Jesust Christ, Adam. I think I should vote for you here.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yes, so much yes.

Is this wrapping up soon or what?

Fugitive on
  • Options
    SkribbleSkribble Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All of these need to be real games, NOW.

Skribble on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I would play Adams game for the sole purpose of it being the strangest game ever.
    On the flip side I would buy the company of whoever made my game and then fire all of them for being stupid.

Then I would realise I wasted a fuckton of money on a rubbish production company and a principle.

Mustang on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so these uh, challenges or whatever...

Uh, yeah.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Poll maybe?
    Anyone?

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This challenge thread is becoming a bit of a dud, any chance of getting a mod who gives two shits about getting the polls up on time?

Mustang on