As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me what the fuck you're reading

1565758596062»

• Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I worked a job with dudes who spent the entire shift high on tabs, weed, and would snort coke during lunch breaks, and I never had a theft problem.

Here I've lost two books in a week now (First one was a War 40k book). Time to ask for a locker.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Crashmo wrote: »
    I worked a job with dudes who spent the entire shift high on tabs, weed, and would snort coke during lunch breaks, and I never had a theft problem.

I really hope you're not, like, a pilot or something.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Who the fuck steals books?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Thieves

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Book thieves?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The worst, most desperate kind of thief.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Apparently I write like Margaret Atwood

also, The Sirens of Titan is the best Vonnegut book

Projeck on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Projeck wrote: »

ehhh, it's very good and one of his best, but I don't really know about that

the ending is fucking crushing though

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Apparently I write like Margaret Atwood

Really?

That's weird.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

People who get kicks from thieving.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    you did not make an a capella version of the tale spin theme song which i currently use for my husband's ring tone

edit: OR DID YOU, I AM SO CONFUSED

That was Captain K, the G&T mod who never ever posts

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I confess I have a book my English teacher lent me 9 years ago that I never gave back. I only finished reading it last year.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    smof wrote: »
    I confess I have a book my English teacher lent me 9 years ago that I never gave back. I only finished reading it last year.

You wretched bastard

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what book?

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »
    what book?

My guess?

The Giver.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »

ehhh, it's very good and one of his best, but I don't really know about that

the ending is fucking crushing though

I know it isn't objectively his best work, it's just my favorite

Projeck on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I knicked a copy of Catch-22 from a household of where it was obviously never going to be read.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have stolen all manner of books from my highschool. Catch-22 is the only one that was any good.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I accidentally stole a book from a camp I went to because I forgot to take it out of my bag.

I felt like a monster when I found it.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I just bought a paperback cover of Anathem from a supermarket, of all places.

Good lord, I forgot how hard this book is to read.

also, the paper is kind of shitty and I have to use my thumb to hold the book open and the ink gets all smudge-y.

:(

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    someone once loaned me Till We Have Faces

I lost touch with them though and I never have given it back

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    actually,

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater might be my favorite

hard to say

Projeck on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I finished the Lost City of Z

What a damn good non-fiction book

Looking forward to my next one, Flawless

It's about the world's best diamond heist!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, finished Slaughterhouse 5

I don't know what to think, but I'm definitely glad I read it, and Vonnegut deserves his accolades

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    everyone read Till We Have Faces

it's so good

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wait, no, I stole a book on Vietnam from one of those discount book carts that Barnes and Noble has.

It was outside and taking up valuable retail space. They wanted me to steal it.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I stole every book I ever borrowed from school in 3rd grade. I've got a box full of gradeschool books in my closet.

Silven on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That thing on the previous page said that I write like james joyce. At least it got my first name right.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »
    what book?

Iain M. Banks, 'Consider Phlebas'.

edit: I feel less bad about it now I realise I am in the company of thieves and brigands.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I prefer to be called a gentleman rogue.

Silven on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Great Job, Internet!: Find out which famous author you sort of (but don't really) write like
    For those who have long harbored literary pretensions but somehow missed out on the halfhearted encouragement of a self-absorbed creative writing professor or undermining writers’ workshop, I Write Like is the ego-inflating yet slightly dismissive mentor you’ve never had. Simply plug in a block of text (the longer the better) and, through the magic of some sort of undefined analytical algorithm, you’ll soon find out which famous author’s prose style most resembles your own ramblings. Here’s a rundown of which authors various members of The A.V. Club staff supposedly write like, according to the stories we plugged in. As you can see, it’s kinda complete horseshit—and it only seems to have about a dozen or so authors in its arsenal—but it’s sort-of fun nonetheless.

One of my friends showed me this on facebook. This was my response:
    I plugged in a bunch of blog entries, just to see how this rodeo went down, and got Stephen King (thrice), Mark Twain, Dan Brown (thrice), Margaret Atwood, and Chuck Palahniuk.

Which is really more how I talk than how I write, honestly, because I'd like to think my blog is just me writing down things I want to say to multiple people.

For the fiction I had saved and accessible I got Chuck Palahniuk, J.R.R. Tolkien (admittedly I plugged in a fairy tale I'd written for this), and Stephen King.

I don't entirely trust this thing, I guess is what I'm saying.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm about a quarter ways into A Thousand Splendid Suns, I think I like it better than The Kite Runner so far. Both excellent books though

Hobnail on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Great Job, Internet!: Find out which famous author you sort of (but don't really) write like
    For those who have long harbored literary pretensions but somehow missed out on the halfhearted encouragement of a self-absorbed creative writing professor or undermining writers’ workshop, I Write Like is the ego-inflating yet slightly dismissive mentor you’ve never had. Simply plug in a block of text (the longer the better) and, through the magic of some sort of undefined analytical algorithm, you’ll soon find out which famous author’s prose style most resembles your own ramblings. Here’s a rundown of which authors various members of The A.V. Club staff supposedly write like, according to the stories we plugged in. As you can see, it’s kinda complete horseshit—and it only seems to have about a dozen or so authors in its arsenal—but it’s sort-of fun nonetheless.

One of my friends showed me this on facebook. This was my response:
    I plugged in a bunch of blog entries, just to see how this rodeo went down, and got Stephen King (thrice), Mark Twain, Dan Brown (thrice), Margaret Atwood, and Chuck Palahniuk.

Which is really more how I talk than how I write, honestly, because I'd like to think my blog is just me writing down things I want to say to multiple people.

For the fiction I had saved and accessible I got Chuck Palahniuk, J.R.R. Tolkien (admittedly I plugged in a fairy tale I'd written for this), and Stephen King.

I don't entirely trust this thing, I guess is what I'm saying.

I put in a few old reviews I wrote for eToychest and was told I write like David Foster Wallace four out of four times

so I guess I write like David Foster Wallace

Monoxide on
This discussion has been closed.