Options

PS3 cables. Read if you don't have them.

EtericEteric Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I just wanted to throw this up there in case some of you guys end up having problems.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789061

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=2547093

Basically, if you aren't using Sony's official cables, lie. That, or your warrenty will be voided.

eatfranks5.png
Eteric on

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    that is rediculous

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't PS2 component cables work just fine? You can get those for three pennies and some pocket lint.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hardtarget wrote:
    that is rediculous
    Sony has been doing this since the PS2 days.

When I had my PS2 repaired, they asked a ton of questions to try and void the warranty (and subsequent FREE repair they had to cover due to a class-action lawsuit for their Disk Read Errors). 3rd party products = insta-void. Disk cleaners = insta-void. Lens cleaners = insta-void. Sticker tampering = insta-void.

So Fark's got it right. Lie your ass off to Sony if you want anything from them.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How about Guitar Hero guitars or Taiko Drums? Are those covered?

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That's fucking bullshit. I once called Nintendo after getting my DS Phat, because for some reason there was no stylus in the box. They sent me a pack of three, no questions asked, on two day shipping. God, even I'm getting tired of throwing shit at Sony, but stuff like this keeps fanning the flames.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote:
    Let's put it this way...

What you don't tell them can't hurt you.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Say you used nothing.

Work on the premise that 5 seconds before it broke you were unwrapping it as your birthday present.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    B:L wrote:
    AlphaTwo wrote:
    Let's put it this way...

What you don't tell them can't hurt you.
    Rep: So what game were you playing...
    Me: NOTHING. I was enjoying the Sony Network Setup disk! I SWEAR I DON'T PLAY ANYTHING ON IT!

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    its like this with every console.

sony:
    THIS WARRANTY SHALL ALSO BE VOIDABLE BY SCEA IF (1) SCEA REASONABLY BELIEVES THAT THE PS3TM SYSTEM HAS BEEN USED IN A MANNER THAT WOULD VIOLATE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF A SEPARATE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR SYSTEM SOFTWARE; OR (2) THE PRODUCT IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY SCEA (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT DEVICES, CONTROLLERS, ADAPTORS AND POWER SUPPLY DEVICES).

nintendo wii:
    Nintendo will, at its option and subject to the terms and conditions stated below, repair or replace free of charge this Wiiâ„¢ or any component part, which upon examination by Nintendo is found to be defective in materials, workmanship or manufacturing.
    #

This Warranty shall not apply:

1. If a compliance label has been removed from the Wiiâ„¢ or a serial number or other details have been removed or rendered illegible.
    2. If the Wiiâ„¢ is connected to any voltage other than shown on the compliance label or unapproved and unlicensed products are used with the Wiiâ„¢.

xbox:
    This Limited Warranty shall not apply and Microsoft has no liability under this Limited Warranty if the Xbox Product:

* is used with products not sold or licensed by Microsoft (including, but not limited to, non-licensed games and game enhancement devices, adaptors and power supply sources) or which are otherwise incompatible;

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bbmartini wrote:
    The official warranty, maybe. But only Sony appears to be following it to the letter instead of giving the consumer the benefit of the doubt.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    bbmartini wrote:
    The official warranty, maybe. But only Sony appears to be following it to the letter instead of giving the consumer the benefit of the doubt.
    AKA being total pricks, which certainly does nothing to help their image. The warranty terms are there to protect Sony from consumers that feel like taking a sledgehammer to their console. They shouldn't be used to bullshit their way out of replacing a defective DVD lens because you used a 3rd party memory card.

Dusda on
  • Options
    Liabe BraveLiabe Brave Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bbmartini wrote:

I don't know about right now, but several years back I had to get my fat PS2 repaired. I called Sony Customer Support and told them I was getting Disc Read Errors. They asked me for the S/N of my console, and that was it. No third degree, no other questions. The entire repair process was free and I had my console back in about 10 days.

Liabe Brave on
    My name is Christian Smith.
    "I just want people to see my action heart."
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does Sony even have "official" HDMI cables? Or does this only apply to analog cables?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dusda wrote:
    That's fucking bullshit. I once called Nintendo after getting my DS Phat, because for some reason there was no stylus in the box. They sent me a pack of three, no questions asked, on two day shipping. God, even I'm getting tired of throwing shit at Sony, but stuff like this keeps fanning the flames.
    One time Nintendo accidentally replaced my DS Lite with a GB Micro. The next day they called me, same-dayed me a new Lite, and told me to keep the Micro for my troubles.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Azio wrote:
    Dusda wrote:
    One time Nintendo accidentally replaced my DS Lite with a GB Micro. The next day they called me, same-dayed me a new Lite, and told me to keep the Micro for my troubles.
    God damn. I need a Micro.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote:
    Azio wrote:
    Dusda wrote:
    God damn. I need a Micro.
    That...I almost don't believe you.

Dusda on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Azio wrote:
    Dusda wrote:

That's because Nintendo is intelligent.

Look, that GBM costs them, what, $40? It can't be any more than $60 because that's what Wal*Mart was selling them for on Black Friday. That means if you buy two or three DS games, hey, they've made that money back. If they fuck you over and you never buy one of their products again, where does that leave them?

Same thing with Sony here. Sony wants to charge $150 for repairing a system? Fine, don't get it repaired. Assuming you would have bought four games for that system, Sony would have been better off repairing it for free than alienating a customer.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Microsoft didn't even ask me for proof of ownership, like a receipt, when I called them. They asked me three questions such as my purchase date and told me to send them the Xbox 360 back. I didn't even include the HDD as they asked and they still replaced it and shipped it to me at no cost at all.

I had a similar experience with Nintendo.

Would it be trite if I said "what the fuck is wrong with Sony?" I mean, I know it's old, but really, Sony. Fuck you.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sony managed to piss off it's customers yet again in a unique manner. *clap*......*clap*

There should be an award for this by now.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't even bring myself to care anymore

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    B:L wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:
    that is rediculous
    Sony has been doing this since the PS2 days.

When I had my PS2 repaired, they asked a ton of questions to try and void the warranty (and subsequent FREE repair they had to cover due to a class-action lawsuit for their Disk Read Errors). 3rd party products = insta-void. Disk cleaners = insta-void. Lens cleaners = insta-void. Sticker tampering = insta-void.

So Fark's got it right. Lie your ass off to Sony if you want anything from them.

PSX days, actually. I remember my PSX giving me issues, and they were asking if I was using a third party RF unit. As if that could make my system need to be turned on it's side to work correctly...

Edit: also, I have never fucking seen Sony brand component cables for the PSX/2/3..

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Microsoft didn't even ask me for proof of ownership, like a receipt, when I called them. They asked me three questions such as my purchase date and told me to send them the Xbox 360 back. I didn't even include the HDD as they asked and they still replaced it and shipped it to me at no cost at all.

I've had two vastly different replacement stories with Microsoft.

1st time 40 minutes trying to spell out my name to some idiot in India who can't speak english then running through boring bullshit test scenarios before I got a recall number.

2nd time was less than 10 minutes to an intelligent man who understood and spoke english (or at least american english) extremely well. I explained to him that my software was doing this this and this, and I had tried several things. He then gave me a recall number straight away. It was a trouble free process.

Blake T on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does Sony even have "official" HDMI cables?

That's a good question. Because assuming they don't....

"Yes, Mr. Customer, sir, there is an HDMI port on our PlayStation 3 systems. Use it and you void its warranty."

Yup, you really are paying for potential.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey guys. Sony is assholes. News, how? Anyone surprised put up your hands.

The PS1 and PS2 found niches and exploited the hell out of them. And of course by niches I mean "giant gaping chasms" - first it was all about the media format, and then it was about the exclusive games. Nobody has EVER said "Boy that Sony sure is a swell company".

Microsoft has put the fear of god into them, but I imagine given the string of negative press that has fallen out since they have no idea how to turn this boat - the boat of expecting your customers to show up just because - around.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    Does Sony even have "official" HDMI cables?

That's a good question. Because assuming they don't....

"Yes, Mr. Customer, sir, there is an HDMI port on our PlayStation 3 systems. Use it and you void its warranty."

Yup, you really are paying for potential.
    Official PS3 HDMI cables retail for US$60.

from wiki

no official component cable yet though, apparently, so it's basically as silly

bongi on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    bongi wrote:

from wiki

That's retarded. HDMI, unlike the PS2's AV-out connector, is a commodity interface that any asshole can put on their device. That's like HP saying that if you don't use their own special USB cable (MSRP $60), you void your warranty on the printer.

On a semi-related note, why the hell are people charging so much for HDMI cables? I go to Best Buy or Rat Shack and it's like $50+ per cable, even for really short lengths. And nNot just for Monster Cable, either, but any brand they have. It's a digital signal, people, and besides which, it's just some fucking wire. Monoprice is selling them for $8 + S&H, and I know goddamn well they're not taking a loss.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Sony brand component cables exist for the PS2, but they are hard to find since the amount of PS2 games that support progressive scan is really low. I may be wrong, but I think that the highest quality video that a PS1 can output is S-Video.

But yeah, even though using most third party stuff is stupid (by that I mean unlicensed MadCatz/Pelican $10 bin at Wal*Mart crap), that's a real dick move on Sony's part.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Einhander wrote:
    Sony brand component cables exist for the PS2, but they are hard to find since the amount of PS2 games that support progressive scan is really low. I may be wrong, but I think that the highest quality video that a PS1 can output is S-Video.

But yeah, even though using most third party stuff is stupid (by that I mean unlicensed MadCatz/Pelican $10 bin at Wal*Mart crap), that's a real dick move on Sony's part.

I've never had a problem with MadCatz/Pelican/Nyko/whatever cheap cables. I mean, you couldn't pay me to plug one of their controllers or memory cards in, but a cable is a cable, and unless it's downright defective, it'll look pretty much the same as any other brand of the same cable.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You can use the PS2 component cables and you can get them from Newegg.com - Where Deals Are King

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16879100014

For a mere $20

*takes check from Newegg guy*

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    bongi wrote:

from wiki

That's retarded. HDMI, unlike the PS2's AV-out connector, is a commodity interface that any asshole can put on their device. That's like HP saying that if you don't use their own special USB cable (MSRP $60), you void your warranty on the printer.

On a semi-related note, why the hell are people charging so much for HDMI cables? I go to Best Buy or Rat Shack and it's like $50+ per cable, even for really short lengths. And nNot just for Monster Cable, either, but any brand they have. It's a digital signal, people, and besides which, it's just some fucking wire. Monoprice is selling them for $8 + S&H, and I know goddamn well they're not taking a loss.
    because hdmi is new and new = expensive

never mind that they can make hundreds of the things for tuppence, you have to pay for the future

bongi on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    You can use the PS2 component cables and you can get them from Newegg.com - Where Deals Are King

For a mere $20

Yeah, or go to the place I just discovered a week ago, http://www.MonoPrice.com where they're far less.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bongi wrote:

from wiki

Sony actually can't bitch about you using any HDMI cable. It doesn't have to be Sony brand... if they pull that, they're in violation of the HDMI spec, licensing ,etc.

This stems from Sony's multi-AV out port being a Sony device, and them wanting you to plug Sony products into it.

I still stand by my previous comment that I have never seen Sony brand component cables. I realize now they're on NewEgg, but I have never seen them in any retail store (Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, Gamestop, FYE, TRU...)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There are official HDMI and Component cables for sale. I saw a ton of them at Best Buy the other day. The only thing is, though, the official PS3 component cables are just repackaged PS2 component cables. I just use the PS2 one on my system. It is a first party cable, at any rate. :P

Also: Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

For a mere $20

I've seen some of those at my Circuit City for 15 dollars, I believe.
    EDIT: Nevermind, the site says they're 25 dollars. Weird. Poor memory on my part, perhaps

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Dashui, did you catch the prices on them? I'm curious as to how much they'd charge for a rebranded PS2 component cable.

Einhander on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I always lie when either Nintendo or MS ask about third party stuff. "Nope, all my controllers are official Nintendo controllers, and I have a Nintendo Memory Card 59" I said, as I looked at my Madcatz controller and memory card.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DominusDominus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh, that wacky Sony. Always trying to weasel out of warranty repairs. If true, though, that may just be illegal...
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode15/usc_sup_01_15_10_50.html

For those who don't want to read the whole thing...

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission
    No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—
    (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
    (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.

Translation: Sony can't void a warranty by banning the use of specifically named third-party cables, unless they can prove it will only work right with Sony cables. A manufacturer has to prove that an aftermarket or 3rd party part or accessory caused the failure if they want to void the warranty, UNLESS they supply their own version of the part or accessory for free.

I'm not sure that the law specifically covers a general ban on all third-party cables, though. Seems like it would, but hey, I'm not a lawyer.

Dominus on
    Currently playing: Skyrim, Super Mario 3D Land
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Einhander wrote:
    Dashui, did you catch the prices on them? I'm curious as to how much they'd charge for a rebranded PS2 component cable.

I didn't look, sorry. All I really wanted was a Playstation 3 memory card adapter, which they didn't have. No one seems to have those anywhere. Anyways, Best Buy doesn't show any official brands of the component cable, but I swear I saw them there. However, the site does list the React and Psyclone brand, which are 25 dollars and 60 dollars respectively. Pysclone shit is always overpriced.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    To answer the confusion about the overpriced state of cables: because they can.

At Futureshop (which is owned by Bestbuy, so same prices) a printer cable is $29.99 CDN. Cost on that same cable is about $1.50 CDN

A no-name DVI cable is $49.99. Cost on the cable is about $5.50.

Why do they charge so much for the cables? Well, if you look at the devices they sell that go with those cables:

Random HP Photo Printer $149.99. Cost of the printer $142.99. Yep. Hardly marked up at all. What's a better idea? Mark up the hell out of a printer to the point where the customer might change their mind, or give it to em for almost nothing and then ream their ass on the cable they HAVE to buy for it.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    CriptCript Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok, I dislike Sony as much as the next person does, but this is realy reaching for dirt by the haters seeing as Sony isn't the only one that has this policy for 3rd party accesories.

Simple fix is to lie.

Cript on
    Dirty+RNA.png