Approximately 3 days Before the Cylon Holocaust
"All of this has happened before, and it will happen again."
Acheron is a small station established approximately 55 years ago on the planet Charon just prior to the Cylon War. Equipped with experimental stealth systems the Station was able to remain miraculously undetected throughout the Cylon War. Since then Acheron has grown into a small company largely in thanks to military spending. The “undetectable” station was deemed an ideal breeding ground to develop new technology. As corporate interests increased, so did the population on Acheron. To accommodate this, a small colony was established on the planet’s surface to cater to long-term occupants and their family’s needs. While the Colonial Fleet still governs the station and it’s encompassing facilities. It has become clear that the corporations now hold great sway.
How this Game Will be Played:
Acheron will use the StoryTeller System
as presented in White Wolf's "New World of Darkness"
RuleBook. The intent of this game is to allow chararacters to forge their own paths as opposed to being coerced into a situation they find clashes with their character. While there is an over-arching plot to this campaign, player's choice is still drastically important. Regardless of its nature.
The game may be considered RP-Heavy which is a label I do not oppose, but rest assured there will be options for who are more trigger happy.
- The Piloting speciality of Driving determines how well you fly a given vessel as well as use its respective weaponry.
- Characters Begin a bit more experienced than a lowly Ensign. 35 extra XP to be spent during CC.
- Unseen Sense is no longer supernatural related but vision related
- A few Weapons and Items have Different Names to better fit the BSG- Verse
INTRODUCING THE CHARACTERS
Useful Links and Other Questions
How will private actions being handled
Each player character has access to information that the others do not. No matter how minuscule it may be. If you are acting on this info in private or doing something else you prefer to do away from prying eyes. Either pm what your character is attempting to and/or post on the proboards what your character is attempting to.
Is it possible to be a Cylon Sleeper Agent?
Any player or non-player character has the potential to be a Cylon and not even know it.
What is on Acheron?
itself is somewhat similar to Ragnar Station
but much sturdier. To be honest , as silly as it may sound what I had in mind looks very similar to the space elevator art
more flight decks and closer in orbit to the ground. Since it has now become a quasi-structure. After the war it was connected to a large support structure, which became base of operations. In many ways the station's cloaking abilities were increased as it easily blended in with the surface of Charon. Oddly. The station has an abundant number of raptors , vipers and a few experimental stealthstars. The most powerful vessel at the Colony's disposal is the Vanguard Type A Star Cruiser the "Icarus". Except for the odd patrol, most of the time vessels are docked. In order to save fuel. The Helena (Class A Cruiser) serves as military transportation on and off the Colony.
The station is the only structure that emerges from outside the carbon dome surrounding the colony.
From the desk of Victor Mills, a sketch of Acheron's core stealth system circa the Cylon War by Dr. Hieroynmous West
The Colony of Acheron
is around the size of a small town. The best way to describe the Colony would be to take all the major corporate complexes together and have their park areas meet in the center to form their version of Central Park. In essence its a bit similar to these pictures of Caprica : 1
. The early corporations installed a dome over the colony that helped strengthen the stealth systems. At the same time it allowed artificial weather, which was welcome compared to the red arid wasteland that is most of Charon.
- Most long term visitors on Archeon stay in town home like structures. Very few apartment complexes exist, the only one that does is one that comes close to rivaling the Archeon Station itself in height. The building is meant to impress ; its purpose largely to hold frivolous board meetings and provide VIP's with lovely suites.
Research Facility A-
Research facility A is a substructure of a larger research facility. The details of the experiments that occur within are extremely confidential. Unlike Research Station B , it doesn't appear as if any research occurs outdoors.
Research Facility B-
A large rectangular station joined at the hip with facility A. Many of the soldiers come to watch as scientists experiment in the field space given to them. Obviously military funded, this station specializes in large scale sentries as well as patrolling sentries. Meant to do what the cylons could do without the messy consciousness bit.
- An Atlantis inspired resort/hotel . Selenco is owned by a rather eclectic owner who has made it his duty to capture and exhibit the rarest sea life available... Apparently the Corporate Higher Up's pay warranted to a long term stay. In many ways it is similar to Cloud Nine, except combined with a posh bar and tons of diving space.
- A number of statues liter Archeon. From the first director of the Station, Abigail Hook to a number of ancient philosophers. The colony is somewhat odd in its lack of absolute public reverence for the gods.
- It's not surprising that a few fast food chains would come along with the corporations. However the best food seems to oddly come from the lonely and bored Corporate wife who decides "What the frak" might as well make some grub for the neighbors. As for goods, there is indeed only one large shopping complex. However smugglers are not uncommon. Often low level employees on a temporary visit will attempt this route.
Similar to gladiatorial arenas but less brutal and usually ranged combat focused. Notably the ground bares the natural soil of Charon said to be blessed by Ares.
*Note: This list is not all inclusive. Other characters may show up later in the Campaign (on or off the Station).
Order of Power
Colonial Marine Corps
I<<<<<<<<< Themes and Alterations >>>>>>>>>I
Acheron takes place in an alternative version of the BattleStar Galactica universe as established by RDM. Some changes are rather insignificant while others affect the nature of the story rather drastically.
It could be argued the ultimate message of BSG is pertaining to that of human folly in all guises (even robotic ones) and a willingness to accept that and move onward- so you can forgive yourself and others.
This story takes a somewhat different approach. Cylons are no longer beings with more humanity than anyone realizes, instead they will remain the enigmatic force as presented in Season 1 and 2. This isn’t to say Cylons are all alike or that they are incapable of human emotion. It is to say that it is more nebulous. Are the tears shed out of actual despair or a mere facade with no conscious mechanism governing it? As seen with Sharon Valerii this can lead to very tragic figures.
Similarly the Colonists goals in the wake of the Cylon attack aren’t as simple as to seek Earth. In part this is because the Cylon destruction of the Colonies isn’t as utter and absolute as presented in the series. Gaius Baltar’s unintentional betrayal still occurred, but the Colonies aren’t nearly as unified as in the series. And as such the CNP isn’t as widely embraced.
Paranoia and borderline antagonistic relationships with the Colonial Government centered in Caprica, may lead to some interesting developments post attack.
What this basically amounts to is that the Cylons are correct in their assessment of humanity as war mongering; an issue that doesn’t seem to have much validity in the series as the Colonies are largely unified and have gone a good 90 or so years without an actual “war”.
Even though it is mentioned in the mini-series that the fleet was redeployed to deal with mundane threats. A larger focus is placed on the Fleet’s status as a symbol of the “Colonial” Government’s dominance over the Colonies.