As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There are many Fantasies; but this, like the last, was Final [FFXI]

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    You could mine in Zeruhn Mines; the area you mine in the only aggressive enemies are the jellys and they're easy to avoid, and I think they're only in like one or two corners of the mine.

It will net you a lot of zinc ores (sell for 1k each in the AH; or use them for Norg rep), and you can just smelt all of the copper ores down you get to save bag space and sell them later.

Just bring a bunch of pickaxes and fire crystals, pop out whenever you're full on zinc to sell/stash/send to mule, and go to town.

Make sure you have done a handful of the gobbiebag quests, at least; the first bunch aren't terribly pricey and every quest you do nets you 5 more spaces in your inventory/bag/satchel (if you have all of them), so as many as 15 extra slots every quest, which means you can just stay longer.

If you're going for norg rep when you get full on zinc just go turn em in. You need to turn in 104 ores to have access to all of the "easy" nin scroll quests in Norg. But if you're not worried about that, that's also 104k gil. So...up to you.

It's tedious, I suppose; just make a macro, play windowed with the screen as small as you can and still see what you're doing and then just watch something on netflix. I recommend Arrested Development or Doctor Who. :P

edit apparently the amoeba slimes are like lvl 5 so no worries.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Looks like some interesting changes up on the test server:
    PCs who have not moved for ten seconds or more are no longer subject to unit collision.
    The maximum number of upgrades for the attribute merit point category will be raised from twelve to twenty-four.
    The guard and parry skills will be adjusted so that they may level up even if the skills do not activate when players are attacked.

among others. They need to add shield to that last one.

• Options
    Oh, the Vanafest Gobbie Bag thing for the US is finally up
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/event/vanafest2012/index.html

One entry per SE account

• Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    So I started a mule, and I'm slowly getting some Gil from selling off old gear from before I settled on BRD, and the new LS I've hooked up with gave me a ton of Boyadha Moss to complete a quest with, so I profited pretty well from that. Still haven't broken 100K, but it's more Gil then I've earned before.

The thing is, I'm starting to wonder if I should keep up with BRD. I love the class and I really want to play it, but I'm thinking perhaps I should get a melee class to 75 so that I can actually use something to grind/farm. Scrolls are just so expensive, and BRD can't kill things for crap.

Good Idea/Bad Idea?

• Options
    BRD is definitely a bad "main" to take up without anything else to support it with. There's nothing wrong with BRD inherently, it's just hard to solo with, and the way people level these days, it doesn't require a bard at all, and you rarely see them. They move too fast and don't worry about needing the things BRD brings to the table. If you want to do BRD I'd recommend putting it off until you have a job combo you can use to handle content on your own to bring in things like gear/gil/etc.

I'd definitely recommend either a direct DD combo like nin/dnc (or vice versa; though NIN has pretty hefty costs itself...) or a much cheaper, but somewhat less totally self reliant (but still plenty for much of the content) war/dnc. NIN and DNC both serve as really good subs for virtually any DD, and themselves pair with each other wonderfully; so bare minimum it's worth getting them both up to the sub cap.

If you want to go the caster route, blm/whm whm/blm are bare basic but still among the most potent combos in the game. Gear wise, they're not so bad, either way; but you have to figure in the sunk cost of spell scrolls for them too. However you'll be able to fend for yourself better than with BRD (WHM/BLM can actually still solo quite effectively..just really slowly, until you get it high enough to use some of the more basic BLM nukes) and with WHM you'll be able to get into parties/alliances much easier. Many of the most expensive scrolls can be quested with varying levels of difficulties; and always check if an NPC somewhere has a scroll for cheaper than the AH (or vice versa), or if it can be quested instead if it is pricey.

Oh and another massive benefit of whm/blm (and at much higher levels blm/whm) is the ready access to all the teleports and warp.

If you've got yourself into a LS that will bring you along for things and/or help you out with content, that eases a lot of the burden of needing to rely entirely on yourself for completing quests and such. Rely on their help as much as you can without turning into a bummer, always begging for help. Do whatever you can on your own and only bug them for help for stuff you straight up can't solo, until you get to know folks better and they don't feel like you're a leech.

Anyway, that's cool they hooked you up with moss to up your sandy/bastok rep with. Hope you used it well, it can be fairly pricey. I think on my current main (yes, ive done it before on characters I had lost...) I ended up doing that grind with millicorn because I could buy it in mass quantities from a vendor in sandy at the time and ease of exploration was enabled. It was like 3x the turnins, or more, but cost virtually nothing.

Or maybe it was cabbage. Doesn't matter. It's a grind worth getting done since it can easily max out bastok/sandy reps, and kickstart your jeuno rep by a significant amount. Windy is the real irritating one IMO. If your server gets Ease of Exploration, and you have some spare gil (you don't need much, you make back most of the cost of Cornettes), and Bastok is at least 2nd place, buy Cornettes in Bastok and turn them in Windurst doing Mandragora-Mad. It takes like 240 to max your rep; check your rep first to see what level it is and how many you need so you're not wasting time. A good guide for quick reputation is the obviously titled Quick Reputation guide.

I'm only mentioning reputation because higher reputation means more quests unlocked, meaning more access to "easy" gil/scrolls/equipment that you can use/sell. Just because a quest requires a higher rep doesn't mean it is any harder; and it's stuff you can do on your own to break up the monotony of leveling, and get out there and see the world.

• Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    As The Dude said, I would probably recommend a melee for your first job. I started with warrior, lvled it to 40-ish, then unlocked dancer and took it to 80. Thief/dancer would also be a good combo, as you can share almost all of your gear between them.

sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Is there any sort of free trial for this game? The link in the OP goes nowhere. I've always wanted to try this game out.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Yeah ive been looking at the clusterfuck that is my job list, since the first two times I tried playing this I didn't last long and how no idea what to play, so I have RDM at 27, MNK at 30, SMN WAR and THF at 18. BLM is at 1.

RNG and BST are unlocked, and DRK quest is flagged but I haven't grabbed the sword yet.

I'm leaning towards DRK because a Taru looks awesome in that armor, but MNK/DNC sounds kickass. The problem is that DNC sounds like a pain to unlock since I've never done of the "in the past" junk.

• Options
    Is there any sort of free trial for this game? The link in the OP goes nowhere. I've always wanted to try this game out.

I'm not sure.

This is apparently a free 14 day trial http://www.ff11europe.com/freetrial/ but I have no idea if it's just EU only (servers are worldwide...) or what. I don't see anything regarding a free trial on the US site.

You can typically get the game on sale for $5 these days, and that includes everything. With the steam sale starting up in a few days, I imagine it'll be on sale at some point. Maybe. Not free, but basically the price of a lunch for 30 days "free".

The US site does periodically have trials, but they're pretty infrequent.
    Skullo wrote: »
    Yeah ive been looking at the clusterfuck that is my job list, since the first two times I tried playing this I didn't last long and how no idea what to play, so I have RDM at 27, MNK at 30, SMN WAR and THF at 18. BLM is at 1.

RNG and BST are unlocked, and DRK quest is flagged but I haven't grabbed the sword yet.

I'm leaning towards DRK because a Taru looks awesome in that armor, but MNK/DNC sounds kickass. The problem is that DNC sounds like a pain to unlock since I've never done of the "in the past" junk.

DNC is actually quite easy to unlock. The guide on the wiki makes it sound worse than it actually is. The biggest problem is that Jugner is kind of a maze in Jugner_S with walls that aren't there in the modern day map. But iirc the guide has a decent map with the walls and stuff shown. Just bring a stack of prism dust and silent oil and you're good.

And it's totally worth it.

As far as your main, well, BST is really good at soloing, but DRK is a higher straight DD; but isn't very sturdy. MNK is pretty powerful, once you unlock chakra and such, you can't really go wrong.

But yeah, I'd really recommend getting DNC either way. Ask someone in the LS for help if you really need it.

In other news I finally got my second Seasoned Stone so I can get the tail I need to do the 95 break fight. I might actually hit 99. Weeeeeeee

• Options
    Also might be worth noting that if you have the beret that comes with the ultimate edition you can just equip it on a low lvl job and suicide run through pretty much anywhere. You have auto re-raise and you don't lose exp below lvl 30 anymore. I ended up doing this because they decided to move a bunch of lvl 90+ monsters right where I needed to go for a mission.

sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    That is actually brilliant. It never really occured to me to even try that :lol:

• Options
    Oh, re: free trial: here's the NA site

http://finalfantasyxi.com/freetrial/

Looks like you can use the 14 days, then if you want, buy the game, get 30 days free, for 44 free days, before you are ever charged the monthly fee.

There's lots of restrictions on the trial however.
    Character creation limit: Free trial players will be able to create up to 3 characters per account.

Level 30 cap: Free trial players will be able to level their characters up to level 30.
    * Once level 30 is reached, a character’s levels will not increase even if experience points are gained. However, players will still be able to participate in events and quests.

Area restrictions: Free trial players will only be able to access areas included in the initial FINAL FANTASY XI release (not including Rise of the Zilart areas).

Placing items up for auction/bidding on auctions: Free trial players will not be able to place items up for auction, place bids on auctions, or view other players’ items up for auction.

Gil limit: Free trial players can earn up to a maximum of 100,000 gil.
    *Any gil earned beyond that will not be accounted for.

Trading with other players/using the bazaar: Free trial players will not be able to trade items with other players or use the bazaar feature to buy or sell items.

Inviting players to a party: Free trial players will not be able to invite other players to a party.
    * However, free trial players are able to join parties when they are invited.

Mog House Delivery Box: Free trial players will not be able to use the Mog House Delivery Box feature.

Tell/shout/yell: Free trial players will not be able to use the /tell, /shout, or /yell chat features. However, they will be able to reply to /tell messages from party members and other players.

World Transfer Service: Free trial accounts cannot use the World Transfer Service.

Mentor: Free trial characters are not able to become mentors (even if they fulfill the requirements of reaching level 30 and playing for over 180 hours).

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    fair enough I guess, I'll check it out later.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    The 30 free days that comes with a bought copy does not have those restrictions, just FYI. Only the 14day portion of it. If you get the Ultimate Abyssea Edition (again, probably be $5-10 during the steam sale) and tack it onto that account, those 30 days are a full account, no limits.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, I did that or at least something similar with the 2006 collection and it worked great.

Also, thanks for the tip about dancer. It really bugged me that it seems like DNC and NIN are the GO TO subs, but pretty obnoxious to unlock. If its just the wiki sounding harder, that's nice to know. I'll definitely grab DNC once I get back from vacation.

Skullo on
  • Options
    NIN is a bit more intensive; but iirc, DNC doesn't require killing anything; just doing a lot of running around and accessing areas you probably haven't been before (not that there's much to that, just doing it is the thing).

NIN requires killing 3 leeches in Korraloka tunnel, that while easy to get to, needs someone much higher level to do. If you can get even one person in your LS that is 75+ it's actually a fairly painless quest. It's just those leeches.

• Options
    Unsurprisingly the parties I've seen doing the 95 break don't really need a PLD, so even though I've seen them (and was in one for a minute before they replaced me with a DD), I can't get one. :(

I don't want to have to level up another job entirely just to finish this quest. I've already leveled DNC to 50 just to be able to solo the trash, and then spent like an absurd amount of time farming the items. I just want the damn break ><

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I think I'll go with MNK/DNC. I already have monk decently leveled, and the Gil barrier is pretty cheap to get some 30+ gear that will last until my AF stuff, so it won't defeat the purpose. Plus, I enjoyed playing Monk and Dancer sub makes it sound pretty awesome.

DRK looks pretty cool, but starting from 1 just means I'll need to buy all sorts of gear, defeating the purpose of wanting a viable solo/farmer job. Plus, I'm really only into it because Tarus look so crazy awesome/adorable in that AF gear.

Also, my brother and cousin (my old playgroup basically) have expressed interest in restarting! So that'll pretty awesome. On the flip side, it's making this vacation seem much longer :P

Skullo on
  • Options
    Unsurprisingly the parties I've seen doing the 95 break don't really need a PLD, so even though I've seen them (and was in one for a minute before they replaced me with a DD), I can't get one. :(

I don't want to have to level up another job entirely just to finish this quest. I've already leveled DNC to 50 just to be able to solo the trash, and then spent like an absurd amount of time farming the items. I just want the damn break ><

I really hate the last LB. It's a bullshit fight and a throwback to the annoying days of FFXI, especially when all the rest are so easy now. PLD is one of the only jobs that can tank it, as he hits way too fast and accurate for a ninja to keep shadows up. Even then, you're pretty much toast when he pops hundred fists and starts to self-SC. My first try on dancer, even with fan dance and shadows up I was dead before I even realized I had hate. Unless you've got some BSTs cheesing it for you, you need at least one rarab tail. Two should guarantee a win with almost any setup.

That reminds me of an idea I had the other day. They should make it so quest NMs and quest/mission BCNMs have a chance (however small) to drop decent items and/or crafting materials. Then you'd have people lining up to help with quests and missions. As it is, most people have done AF, LB, etc so many times that they can't be bothered when there's nothing in it for them.

sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    hm, i registered for a free trial, but the download link it sent me in the email doesn't exist?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    never mind. there was another link from the website, I just used that

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    man, the play online viewer has some funky music

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    You can change it in the settings. There's a big list, you can set which ones you ever want to play or not.

i turn off all the loud ones and leave the soft relaxing ones on.

• Options
    holy fucking shit this play online viewer/log in process is some of the most obtuse fort knox shit i've ever seen placed on top of a videogame

I have finally reached a point where I have my account, I click on that and enter my member password (?) and it lets me through, where it asks me to put in my SE password. I do that, but every time it says my PlayOnline ID or password is incorrect, although I wasn't asked to put either of those things in, and I can't find my PlayONline ID and I have read its just randomly generated, as at one point it told me all playonline ID's are four capital letters and four numbers, but it let me make mine just a normal word. What the hell am I supposed to do?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    your POL ID will be the 4 letters 4 numbers. When you first open up POL (like, ever), this is what you have to enter first. After you put in your POLID, your Square Enix ID is the account you named yourself, with the associated password.

As far as what your POL ID is, if you know your SEID/password you can log into your SE account here
    https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/poltop

and it will show you your POLID.

If, for some reason, it is asking you for the "one time password", you need to disable that in POL and on the website just ignore it; it is only for people with the security key.

EDIT: I don't know how it gives you your polid/password anymore; I signed up like 9 years ago so if they've made any changes to the system in how you do this stuff, I'm just guessing. You can get the information I said on the SE account website though (outside of POL)

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    you have to go make a pol account after making a SE account, then it gives you a password and a username. Which is stupid because it makes you think you set your own when you log in for the first time, letting you type in whatever you want and never telling you you are doing it wrong.

I just changed my SE password again, Its the only thing that its making me input now. My ID is correct so if it doesnt work now I dunno

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ok i entered my new password, it processed for an abnormally long time, then said I couldnt log in for a bit because of 3 consecutive bad passwords. I have done far more than that so I dont know if my actual password worked but whatever, I"ll try again in the morning

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Well awhile back they changed the SE login from being POL based to be integrated with their website and other logins; and that's probably where it got dicked up, at one point (maybe still?) there were a total of three logins you could have for SE. The POL ID, the SE ID for outside of POL/FFXI and the SE-ish ID for FFXI. It was a clusterfuck and even they said "yeah, we fucked this one up"; but I never paid attention to what came of it.

If you can log into your SE account on their website you should be able to get all the information you need; and if you're having more problems you could always contact their support (or create a new trial account...)

But I'd totally understand if that was too much of a hassle to dick with and you moved on. :lol:

Many people who are accustomed to modern MMO's give XI a shot and find out quickly that it's not for them. Though that'd be easier to tell if their login system wasn't asinine to the point of keeping people out entirely. :(

• Options
    yeah, I've been around the mmo block plenty and FFXI is just one I've never gotten around to trying. I just don't understand whats wrong with a username/password at a login screen

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Well, the history of that is, when FFXI was released, SE had fully intended Playonline to be the portal for everything Final Fantasy related; all future games, news, updates, whatever, was supposed to be linked. FFX was initially supposed to have some level of POL support, for instance; but that was scrapped as it was taking too long and wouldn't be ready when X was released, so the put off full release for XI.

Because of that they wanted one core account, that got you into POL, then accounts for the different "content ID's" that you would subscribe to, etc.

Which, when that didn't pan out for a plethora of reasons, just left POL with the single most asinine log-in system of any MMO ever.

• Options
    ok well, after some work I no longer get an incorrect pol id/password message. From my settings I got rid of everything but what was required, so I"d get asked minimum questions. Now whenever I log in, it says I have an incorrect SE id/password, which is odd considering it has never asked me to enter that!

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    Just decided to come back and try and get into this game again. Started a new account. I haven't seriously played since maybe 2006? 2007? And even then I never got to the high level stuff. Tried briefly to jump back in during 2008 but gave up after only a few days.

Nice that the XP gains have been increased, I've gotten solo up to about 15 now as RDM, but I'd really like to start grouping to speed things up.

Problem is I can't find anyone to group with. Valkrum and Buburimbu, where I remember leveling back in the day, are totally empty. Pretty sure Maze of Shakrami is too. I do a /sea all and there's usually about 1600-2100 people on Asura at any given time, which seems kind of low. Did I just pick a bum server or is there some secret hideout where everyone is leveling low level jobs that I haven't found yet?

My main interest in this game is doing the story missions, and I'm worried that I won't be able to find enough people (or that it would just take weeks and weeks of waiting) to do stuff like kill the dragon guy for the Rank 2-3 mission while at the appropriate level (as opposed to just getting to level cap then cheesing all the story content).

i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    I don't think you picked a bum server, Siren seems to have somewhere around 1200+ on the hours I play.

It seems that the go to party area is now Gusgen Mines.

• Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    Skullo wrote: »
    I don't think you picked a bum server, Siren seems to have somewhere around 1200+ on the hours I play.

It seems that the go to party area is now Gusgen Mines.

Good times, I'll try and run over there this afternoon and report back if I find any signs of life there.

i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    I finally managed to make it into the actual game, but it closed right away and said the connection was terminated or unavailable. My internet connection is fine, is the server down or something?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    FFXI can't be alt-tabbed out of; if you have something that is taking priority it might be dicking it up. That error message is also the one you get if you try to alt-tab out.

Try to run it in windowed mode and see if you still get the disconnect.

There's no maintenance right now though.

• Options
    I managed to get into the game, and right away I got back out and tried to change my graphics settings. The config thats buried in the game folders seems to be written entirely in ???? and doesnt save any of my changes, and messing with the registry hasnt done anything, what am I doing wrong?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    EDIT: DUR of course you didn't get it on steam, you're playing the trial.

If elsewhere, it should have created a start menu item for the config (iirc there is some goofiness with a wrong config file in the folders.

Make sure you're running the one in the SE > FFXI > ToolsUS folder.

Either way you don't really need to run that at all, except for setting up a gamepad if you're using one.

in your registry these are the ones you want to fiddle with:
    000 - MIP Mapping (0 - off, 1 - on, 2-5 just increases the effect, but isn't a huge deal. I use it at 4.)
    001 - Overlay Resolution horizontal (i.e. 1920)
    002 - Overlay Resolution Vertical (i.e. 1080)
    003 & 004 - Graphical resolution. This one is goofy. This is the actual graphics, but you want to let the game set the proper ratio in-game, and you want this set to the same number. It is technically oversampling, and mainly effects jaggies since AA doesn't work in FFXI. I set it to 4096x4096 because my system can handle it. 2048x2048 is playable on most even semi-modern PC's. It also effects the texture display resolution, but iirc the textures actually max out at 2048, so above that is just jaggies.
    0011 - Environment Animation (0 - off, 1 - on, 2 - smooth (best))
    0017 - Bump Mapping (0 - off, 1 - on) This one is weird. The bump mapping effect, considering the game is 10yrs old is pretty weak; but it can help. However it makes the transition from day/night totally fucked up and you don't get any neat sunsets/rises. I leave it off because the effects of the sunsets and such are one of my favorite things
    0018 - Texture Compression (0 - high, 1 - low, 2 - uncompressed) use 2 for the best textures.
    0019 - On Screen Maps, i.e. UI (0 - compresssed, 2 - uncompressed) 2 is best.
    0022 - Intro Movie (0=Disabled, 1=Enabled)
    0034 - Window Mode (0=Full Screen, 1=Window Mode)

Out of all of these the only one that can't be set exactly, out of the config, is the graphical resolution. The config actually lets you go to 2048x2048 these days, so if you're not going above that, you never need to dick with the actual registry and can now do it all via the config (if you can get it to work). They've added up to 1920x1080 for the overlay resolution so that's nice.

Anyway, more details are here http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Graphics

Just FYI you can't change any of these things while the game or POL is running.

EDIT EDIT: for reference, the registries you want to edit (at least on my machine) are in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\PlayOnlineUS\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Last day of vacation! In a few hours I'll be back at the apartment, flagging DNC quest!

• Options
    So it turns out my brother, cousin, and a friend are going to be playing on Fenrir, so it looks like I WILL be shelling out tht $25 to transfer.

Anybody here play on Fenrir?