As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flay's Flailings (NSFW/NSF56K)

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    It's been a while, here are some material studies from today. Crits appreciated!

I3DlI5I.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Very nice!

My only crit is, I don't know what the material on the bottom left is supposed to be.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    These look like the start of a good set of material studies rather than the end point. Good stuff! - but not really finished/polished.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Sub: Just a non-specific golden, glittery surface. Next time I'll make sure to have a clearer idea of the material before I start painting.

Tynic: Righto. This is probably about as far as my current skills will take me, so I'll keep studying and come back to these.

Thanks guys!

Flay on
  • Options
    Wait are you not working from reference on these? Not much of a study if you're just making it up! :P

• Options
    Oh yeah, I used several references for each sphere. Come to think of it these might have been stronger if I'd stuck to one reference for each.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    A Leyendecker study

0L2ssA6.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    That is an excellently observed study, flay.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Good stuff on this page so far! In general the top three balls seem a little more successful than the bottom three, with both lighting and texture. Edge variety plays a big part!

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I agree, I think I was just getting lazy for the last three.

My new apartment is finally in a liveable condition and I'm settling into this new job, so I'm starting to get back in to the rhythm of studying.

VcRMa0N.jpg

xhFPLG6.jpg

There's too much to learn and not enough time

Flay on
  • Options
    Love the second one.

I feel like the first one is suffering from some sort of lighting issue. Maybe the lack of an occlusion shadow? It seems to not be placed on the surface properly. Its really close, though.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Yep, I agree. The sun was setting so I cut the study short. Next time I'll use an artificial light, or just time things better.

Flay on
  • Options
    The last couple of weeks have been incredibly busy, I've barely had time to draw. It's been a really busy couple of weeks, but I've managed to review my 3D modelling so that I can start to go through some of the portfolio builders from Ctrl Paint.

Here's a thing that I've been working on:

NJBcYx8.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Still very busy, but I'm plugging onwards with this. Crits would be appreciated!

G1Iydt2.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    coool

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    I'd live there.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2016
    Do you have a reference as to what you're shooting for the ultimate style of this to be, or where you're planning on going with it next? I've got suggestions I would do if this was just handed to me to paintover, just based on my own personal instincts (more color/value variation on surfaces to play up the form rounding/plane changes, play up the green reflected light bouncing off that algae(?), don't be afraid of dark shadows, could use some ambient occlusion indications, etc.), but how appropriate those suggestions are for what you're actually trying to accomplish/if this is all stuff you just haven't gotten around to in your process, I don't know.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Well the final product of the Ctrl Paint series I'm following is this. I'm not necessarily aiming for something which looks like that, but I'm sure it's been a big subconscious influence on the choices I've been making. I'm actually a little unhappy about how cartoonish this design ended up looking, but now that I've come this far I'm rolling with it.

As for a reference for what I'd actually like to achieve - I don't have one. It's the first time I've ever taken an environment to this level of polish, so my process has been pretty muddled. All of the points you raise are things that I had intended on doing eventually, but I haven't figured out how or when I should.

Values have been a particular trouble for this painting. For the house I've been sticking to the shadows being halfway to black relative to the full-light values, but it's been bothering me how little contrast there is, particularly on the left side of the image. I'd really like to push them to be much darker, but I don't have a good idea how dark I can go without making the lighting feel unrealistic.

• Options
    Some joint studies from Proko's anatomy course

lZGa7fO.jpg

• Options
    I need to take prokos courses. Love whats going on there. The proportions on skull/ribcage seem skewed, though, the far eye socket strikes me as bigger than the near one. I assume the far shoulder is raised to show the clavicle structure?

• Options
    Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    Really like the 20's looking dude, but the highlights on the back of his head look like off to me, like they're making his head look polygonal. The area behind the ear is kind of glaring to me as well for some reason.
    Those prokos make me want to take the class and I'm looking forward to how that enviro will turn out.

• Options
    Good call on the eye socket Iruka. Most of the bones are from reference, but since the reference cut off at the clavicle for the rightmost bones the ribcage and the skull are only semi referenced. And yeah, the far shoulder is meant to be raised, I'd post the reference only it is part of the premium course.

Yeah, capturing Leyendecker's forms is pretty difficult. The original reference has a weird plane break there too, but Leyendecker did it better. The swamp house is on hold because I wasn't sure how to proceed. Instead I'm working on my rendering and colour theory with the goal of working back towards more complex environments.

Cheers guys.

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Really love those bone studies Flay, inspiring me to do some studies of my own. May have to check out that course.

• Options
    I've been studying hard, so this morning I took a break to draw this goofy guy

UBHcCe4.jpg

• Options
    An unfinished still life, but I should probably sleep

601Cdrc.jpg

• Options
    LampLamp Registered User regular
    Wow I love the Ctrl Paint environment project up there. Have you worked on that any more at all? I actually purchased that video series a while back but never got around to working on the project (story of my life!). I've been learning Blender lately though, so I think I might take a crack at it!

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Thanks! I stopped about there because I felt like I had hit a wall, and I was working aimlessly. Since then I've learned a bunch, so I might return to it soon.

In the meantime here's some practice heads from imagination. I think I'm just starting to get the hang of them, but there's still a lot of room for improvement. I was super proud of these when I drew them, but looking at them now feels kind of bad

38UdMfK.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Like a quarter of the planet I've been playing a certain mobile game. Here's some WIP fanart I'm working on as a thank you gift for a friend

CFoTof1.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    WIP noodle bar concept, crits appreciated!

NAji2qN.jpg

2QUa832.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    I like the steam coming off of some of the concepts, I like the way that implies the kitchen. It may not be important to make this scream restaurant at first glance, so it depends on what you are going for.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    This stuff is looking nice, Flay. Those heads from imagination are pretty good especially since you went for a few different angles. The noodle bar concepts look really clean and interesting, and nicely varied, and I'm glad you chose to develop one that feels homey and comforting while still maintaining that interest. What are you planning to do with this?

• Options
    Iruka: You make a good point, I could probably push that aspect harder

Lyrium: Thanks! Next step is to refine the lineart, check some of the perspective (The lantern seems kind of wonky) and do some more detailing, like adding actual Japanese instead of scribbles

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Characters are still really scary for me, but they're what I'd like to draw the most, so I'm trying to push past that.

To build my confidence here's a study from a reference, which I stylised and exaggerated

t2UnT3P.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    His outer leg seems to be on a different plane, but other wise I completely love it! His floofy hair is perfect!!

• Options
    Thanks! And yeah I noticed that. At the time I kind of liked that it looked like he was standing on an uneven surface, but in retrospect it looks kind of goofy so I might go back and fix it.

• Options
    The easy fix would be to indicate the ground hes standing on, otherwise the flat white sotra implies an even, generic surface.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Fiiinally done with this

M94nbaK.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    Really cool! Love the wave logo thingy.

• Options
    Thanks sub!

This has been a dumb weekend but it's been a while since I posted anything, so here's a bird study

9udNtU1.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Some stuff from today

XeqaGxJ.jpg

jlwAoMj.jpg

I'd really appreciate some crits on the first one, because I'm feeling kind of stuck

Flay on