Options

[Let's Play] STALKER: Call of Pripyat - STALKER series overview

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So it seems that emissions cause anomalies to spawn artifacts randomly. I went through two emissions and started making rounds around the zone looking for some loot. I quickly racked up 25k or so in artifacts. I've also been finding artifacts on dead stalkers after emissions. My favorite bit about right after an emission is leaving your cover to see all the dead birds laying everywhere. Great touch.

I moved on to Yanov station and quickly broke my first rule of stalking which is never stalk at night. I took a sidejob to crush some bandit scum and hopefully make some money in the process. The catch is that you have to meet the crew very far away after 1am. Following the train tracks I was very close when I heard the sound of dogs. My green meter skyrockets and I turn my light on. Never in any stalker game have I seen so many dogs. Dogs, psuedo dogs, a flesh, and those little chicken raptor things. There had to be at least twenty creatures in this pack. I unloaded a clip from the TRS in vain and I was quickly ripped apart.

Has anyone purchased anything from Nimble? Out of curiosity I looked at some of the rewards and that shit looks tight. An MP5 that fires .45 rounds? Yes please. There's also a shotty and some body armor I would be interested in. The prices are steep, but it seems money is easily found in this game. Has anyone gotten achievements? I'm told if you save up 100k Owl will open up his inventory with vastly improved goods.

edit: I got the 100k achievement and I can confirm Owl is not selling anything better than what he normally sells.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Apparently "sleeping" for monsters means sitting around waiting to eat something. Oh, and not actually sleeping. I get a nice little something from Nimble and also show some tricky guy that my sympathies are all used up and he is now on the list. The list of death, I mean, right up there with Tuna. I will shoot them both as soon as I find them.

The list:
    Tuna
    Snag
    There should also be a law against Stalkers putting stashes way the hell out in the middle of nowhere with garbage in them because suckers like me will go all the way out there for a medkit and a few cans of Zone soda. At least I didn't get robbed out there or something.

Set 6 - Monsters do not sleep

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Question for more experience CoP players.

Does Snag always try to steal anything you buy from Nimble? Or was it that particular gun he wants?

Also, DO you ever encounter Tuna again, or does he disappear from the Zone?

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I did some testing and I think Snag tries to take whatever gun you get from Nimble first. Just messing around with a backup save, I ended up with a kickass shotgun (sad face because it wasn't part of my LP) and Snag tried to take that instead.

Tuna and Snag had better show up again. I seriously do want to track them down and dispense some Zone justice, Judge Dredd style. The 1st Court of Ninja Snarl has but one judge and one verdict; violate the Law and know justice. In triplicate.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I did some testing and I think Snag tries to take whatever gun you get from Nimble first. Just messing around with a backup save, I ended up with a kickass shotgun (sad face because it wasn't part of my LP) and Snag tried to take that instead.

Tuna and Snag had better show up again. I seriously do want to track them down and dispense some Zone justice, Judge Dredd style. The 1st Court of Ninja Snarl has but one judge and one verdict; violate the Law and know justice. In triplicate.

Hmmm. Good to know. Know if he does the same with armour suits?

And why couldn't you make the new shotgun version your LP current? just handwave it away.

But if you don't, do spill the beans on the shotty. I think it's also safe to say that any stalker who says he has connections and is going to make your life hell because of his connections is a douche-bag with no connections who needs to take some .45 caliber Head-On, applied directly to the forehead.

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That reminds me. Speaking of shotguns.
    There's a guy in Yanov bitching about armor he bought, and that bandits are now bleeding him dry with interest payments on a loan. It leads to a little group of buildings a bit west of Jupiter. The leader of the these bandits has an AMAZING shotgun. Or did when I played. It was a named version of an automatic shotgun that I didn't see the generic version of until much, much later. Totally worth killing every bandit in that camp for.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    There's a guy in Yanov bitching about armor he bought, and that bandits are now bleeding him dry with interest payments on a loan. It leads to a little group of buildings a bit west of Jupiter. The leader of the these bandits has an AMAZING shotgun. Or did when I played. It was a named version of an automatic shotgun that I didn't see the generic version of until much, much later. Totally worth killing every bandit in that camp for.

Not to mention, bandits are douches away, so kill every bandit there on principle...

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TKane wrote: »

Not to mention, bandits are douches away, so kill every bandit there on principle...

I like to move in close to negotiate and then kill the leaders after I'm past the guards.

Makes getting back out annoying of course, but it's worth it.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Snag will try to take whatever weapon you get from Nimble first. Just tell him to fuck off. Avoid the Dock Cranes after telling him to fuck off because he is hiding over there waiting to ambush you. If he does ambush you kill him then other wise you will have to deal with him again in Yanov. Dude seriously would not learn until he got something hot in his chest.

Ninja I hope you like Frasier! I'm in Pripyat and I still use this gun. Out of the box it boasts higher accuracy, better handling, and lower recoil. After upgrades it is one of the most deadly guns in the game. More damage per bullet than any other NATO weapon and more rounds per second than any other gun. It holds its own against mutants but really shines against humans.

Nimble also sells the Carrabiner and the Eliminator as close up weapons. Carrabiner is a bitchin SPSA14. Again higher accuracy, better handling, longer range, less recoil, +2 shells out of the box. After upgrades this gun has 12 shells, automatic fire, and the desperate urge to kill mutants. I absolutely adore this weapon. I can confirm that no snorg is safe from the Carrabiner. The Eliminator is an upgraded autoshotty. I didn't get it because I got the Carrabiner first and the auto shotty looks silly. I'm told it is the business however.

Nimble's armor choices are a SEVA suit (lame as shit especially for 40k), a 3rd gen exoskeleton (I never use these but this one you can sprint in!) and some Clear Sky battle armor + helmet. For 40k this is as good as it gets before Pripyat. Has pretty good protection out of the box and lots of room for upgrades. The helmet offers a 2nd gen night vision which is pretty tits. Using said NV I regularly stalk at night now and it is not scary. I also have the infrared scanner and oh my god it has saved my life so many times.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Shogun wrote: »
    (lame as shit especially for 40k), For 40k this is as good as it gets before Pripyat.

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game is scary as shit. I am only like an hour in and I am terrified every time I leave the first quest hub.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This game is scary as shit. I am only like an hour in and I am terrified every time I leave the first quest hub.

Even with LURK, I was never so hesitant in going out at night. There is just no telling what could be out there. At all. Might be a group of friendlies, might be a firefight, might be a bloodsucker, or worst of all, nothing. I hate when there's nothing out there but the dark and noise.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I've been playing around with CoP after noticing that there was a loyalty sale in steam if you had SoC already installed (sweet!). Gotta say, the thing that has stood out for me the most in this game is artifact hunting. Being able to go out after an emission and hop around fire/electricity/caves/gravity/poison is awesome. Kinda gives the whole process a "time to make the rounds" feel.

Also found some crazy shit out by the burning homestead(I think that's what it's called), but I'll let you find that out for yourself :P

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Even with LURK, I was never so hesitant in going out at night. There is just no telling what could be out there. At all. Might be a group of friendlies, might be a firefight, might be a bloodsucker, or worst of all, nothing. I hate when there's nothing out there but the dark and noise.

I dunno how much LURK changes things, but my game was really very dark. That might be partly because I can only run it on medium settings however. I am jealous of the neat lighting effects like sunbeams I'm seeing in the LP videos.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I dunno how much LURK changes things, but my game was really very dark. That might be partly because I can only run it on medium settings however. I am jealous of the neat lighting effects like sunbeams I'm seeing in the LP videos.

Yeah I have to run it on shit settings and the differences are pretty stark. I want a better pc badly.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Did it again. Again. Got playing, got totally caught up in the game, and ended up recording enough for two full sets. And within those sets the following are included:

-Revenge!
    -Theft!
    -Murder!
    -Mystery!
    -Vampires!
    -Bloodsuckers!
    -Mild genocide!
    -Terrible ideas!

That last item features one of my shortest-lived bad ideas ever. It was a pretty terrible idea with swift, vengeful consequences. And cripes does this game provide neat little surprises for poking around.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did it again. Again. Got playing, got totally caught up in the game, and ended up recording enough for two full sets. And within those sets the following are included:

-Revenge!
    -Theft!
    -Murder!
    -Mystery!
    -Vampires!
    -Bloodsuckers!
    -Mild genocide!
    -Terrible ideas!

That last items features one of my shortest-lived bad ideas ever. It was a pretty terrible idea with swift, vengeful consequences. And cripes does this game provide neat little surprises for poking around.

Good times. Can't wait to watch these sets and awe at the wonderfully hilarious ways you get yourself killed.

Nothing can top your encounter with the bloodsuckers in your SoC LP in the underground laboratory midway through. That shit had me cracking up for a half hour.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Upload these sets man I'm dying to see more. My game has stagnated because I cannot get past this stupid mission in pripyat. I think I moved on too quickly and I am unprepared in terms of firepower. That and these monolith guys are like ace shooters.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just a general FYI, getting a set recorded, edited, encoded, and uploaded takes something like an hour of time playing, an hour editing per set, 2 hours encoding per set, and another 2.5 hours of uploading. So 6.5-7 hours of my computer being tied up, me being unable to use my internet access, or me having to actually be sitting at my computer.

I'm not saying this to admonish anyone, I just want you guys to know why it can take a while for a set to go from recorded to edited to online. Evenings are when I usually have the time to do all the work, but they're also the time I want to be able to watch movies or play online so there are some conflicts.

The big killer is mostly the uploading. Not only does it kill my bandwidth (understandable), it also for some inexplicable reason makes my mouse almost uselessly jittery. I can record Call of Pripyat at fairly high settings at full size without trouble, yet once I start uploading on Youtube my mouse goes crazy. The uploading wouldn't be nearly so troublesome if it didn't also make playing other games nearly impossible. I've been thinking about encoding the videos to a portable hard drive and letting my laptop do all the uploading, but I don't know if that will do anything other than make the laptop overheat and shut down (it's getting old).

So there's a brief explanation of why I make my viewers suffer by talking about the awesome set I just recorded instead of having it ready right away.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just a general FYI, getting a set recorded, edited, encoded, and uploaded takes something like an hour of time playing, an hour editing per set, 2 hours encoding per set, and another 2.5 hours of uploading. So 6.5-7 hours of my computer being tied up, me being unable to use my internet access, or me having to actually be sitting at my computer.

I'm not saying this to admonish anyone, I just want you guys to know why it can take a while for a set to go from recorded to edited to online. Evenings are when I usually have the time to do all the work, but they're also the time I want to be able to watch movies or play online so there are some conflicts.

The big killer is mostly the uploading. Not only does it kill my bandwidth (understandable), it also for some inexplicable reason makes my mouse almost uselessly jittery. I can record Call of Pripyat at fairly high settings at full size without trouble, yet once I start uploading on Youtube my mouse goes crazy. The uploading wouldn't be nearly so troublesome if it didn't also make playing other games nearly impossible. I've been thinking about encoding the videos to a portable hard drive and letting my laptop do all the uploading, but I don't know if that will do anything other than make the laptop overheat and shut down (it's getting old).

So there's a brief explanation of why I make my viewers suffer by talking about the awesome set I just recorded instead of having it ready right away.

I know your pain. I once made a video walkthrough of a No-Kill/Pacifist playthrough of Postal 2.

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    As I mentioned before, I recorded a ton of footage again and had to split it into two separate sets. This set ends sort of abruptly, but I plan on having the second half up tomorrow.

So. There is this place in the Zone. It is the worst place anywhere ever forever. It does not like good ideas and unfortunately I tend to be brimming with good ideas. This place dissuades me from any further bright ideas after the very first failed attempt. I would not want to have this guy's nightmares, that's for sure.

Oh, and I find Tuna. And some "friends" of Snag. And a couple of missions which turn from normal, everyday Stalker business into epic quests of mystery and death.

Set 7 - Nightmare daycare

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Regarding that lovely Bloodsucker building.
    There's a stash in one of the computer housing consisting of a bunch of blue med kits and in my play through a pretty sweet shotgun. Might be worth looking into.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    As promised, here is set 8. I pit a razor-sharp knife against razor-sharp wits and get a semi-unexpected outcome. Also, there is a lot of rats along with a healthy does of poison gas, though the two unfortunately never meet. This would also be the second half of the footage from set 7 so there's a bit more of a proper ending this time.

I also get all of my stuff in Yanov stolen out of my box. I just can't catch a break, can I?

Set 8 - Classic stabby time

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Work beat the shit out of me today, long shift in humid hot temperatures, and I come home to two splits of one huge set of CoP goodness.

thumbs-up.png

Thanks Ninjasnarl!

Monday, we can call it even now.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Take that, Monday.

Always glad to help take that day of the week down a peg or two.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    True story. When you first encounter the room full of sleeping Bloodsuckers, you know what would have been my first response?

Toss a grenade over Grouse' shoulder while we're still in that narrow hallway.

Guess it's a good thing I wasn't at the controls. On the plus side, they'd have to get through him to get to me.

Also, use yer 'nades more mang! That pack of rats in the last video was BEGGING for a Shrapnel brunch.

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whenever you engage rats all I can think of is that 1950's cartoon woman standing on a chair and screaming as a rat scurries below her, except instead of a 1950's woman there's a stalker.

Also, a quick question Ninja: I forget which set it is where you get the SMG for 10K, but why'd you go for a close combat weapon instead of an exoskeleton? Granted, this is from someone who has never played a STALKER game in his life, but it seems that, from your contact with bandits with exosuits, they heavily boost your life expectancy.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    After I got through that room, I had a reeeally hard time suppressing the urge to chuck a couple grenades down there and run like hell. But sometimes a bad idea is just a bad idea. I doubt I would have done more than severely piss them off. I still have bad memories of fighting merely two angry bloodsuckers at once; a whole room full of them potentially chasing me through the sewers would have been messy.

As for grenades in general, pretty much the only time I will use thrown grenades is when a hit is pretty assured and there's a pretty clear shot. The point where grenades actually leave your hands is pretty weird (always has been) and so I'm extremely wary of throwing them in any sort of enclosed space. Plus, the rats tend to run like crazy so poking out to throw the grenade could easily have meant all sorts of dumb ways to die for me. I'd much prefer to be able to ditch thrown grenades and put a grenade launcher on a rifle, but so far I haven't found a grenade launcher or even launcher-compatible grenades.

And with Nimble and the close-range weapon, all the different items he offers are worth varying amounts of money. Frasier was only 10k, sniper rifles are 20k, and I think an exosuit is something like 100k. I'm well on my way to getting the cash I need (I have something like 40k as of recording set 9), but I suppose it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and give Nimble the 12k he needs to even order the thing. Then by the time it shows up, I might even have enough cash to upgrade it a bit as well as pay off the rest of the order.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    After I got through that room, I had a reeeally hard time suppressing the urge to chuck a couple grenades down there and run like hell. But sometimes a bad idea is just a bad idea. I doubt I would have done more than severely piss them off. I still have bad memories of fighting merely two angry bloodsuckers at once; a whole room full of them potentially chasing me through the sewers would have been messy.

As for grenades in general, pretty much the only time I will use thrown grenades is when a hit is pretty assured and there's a pretty clear shot. The point where grenades actually leave your hands is pretty weird (always has been) and so I'm extremely wary of throwing them in any sort of enclosed space. Plus, the rats tend to run like crazy so poking out to throw the grenade could easily have meant all sorts of dumb ways to die for me. I'd much prefer to be able to ditch thrown grenades and put a grenade launcher on a rifle, but so far I haven't found a grenade launcher or even launcher-compatible grenades.

And with Nimble and the close-range weapon, all the different items he offers are worth varying amounts of money. Frasier was only 10k, sniper rifles are 20k, and I think an exosuit is something like 100k. I'm well on my way to getting the cash I need (I have something like 40k as of recording set 9), but I suppose it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and give Nimble the 12k he needs to even order the thing. Then by the time it shows up, I might even have enough cash to upgrade it a bit as well as pay off the rest of the order.

Now if only you can get your hands on a Tank Machine Gun with a 2000 round clip.

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Good times, good times. Although with the enemy accuracy in this game and the fact that health artifacts are much less effective, I actually have to fight now instead of just hosing down a hallway with a heavy machine gun.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    OH COME ON!!

Love your LPs Ninja.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sigh. Alright, some bad news. Crazy family stuff going on right now so it might mean a delay for the next set or even a potential hiatus for the entire LP. Nothing I can't handle, but my time and resources may be otherwise diverted temporarily; I'll know more once the situation to become less hazy.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm having flashbacks to (what I believe to be) last July good sir. Best of luck and to your speedy and safe return.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sigh. Alright, some bad news. Crazy family stuff going on right now so it might mean a delay for the next set or even a potential hiatus for the entire LP. Nothing I can't handle, but my time and resources may be otherwise diverted temporarily; I'll know more once the situation to become less hazy.

Salgood, we shall be here when you get back. Godspeed.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I've been playing this some, and I have to wonder how you get into the emission shielded area at the Ventilation Complex. I can't seem to find any entrances there, and I don't have a save close enough for me to restart from.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Good news this time! Situation may be calming down or at least stabilizing. I have one set awaiting upload and another set recorded and awaiting editing.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    So, I've been playing this some, and I have to wonder how you get into the emission shielded area at the Ventilation Complex. I can't seem to find any entrances there, and I don't have a save close enough for me to restart from.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

You have a save next to the ventilation complex and it's not providing cover from an impending emission?

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You have a save next to the ventilation complex and it's not providing cover from an impending emission?

How do you get into the Ventilation complex? I don't see doors, or a ladder, or any other access point.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited July 2010

How do you get into the Ventilation complex? I don't see doors, or a ladder, or any other access point.

Oh right, sorry, I was mixed up with the vents at the bloodsucker lair in the first zone. There is a way in there, but it's somewhere else. You'll have to explore a bit to find it.

If your immediate concern is an incoming emission, the closest safe place is the bandit camp NE of it, I believe. They should be neutral if I recall, as long as you don't fire on them first. There are several buildings there you can take shelter in. Not sure how much time is left on your save, so good luck.

Also remember there is a drug that lets you survive emissions in the open, if you have to. I always made sure I had one of those on me at all times, just in case.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Should a person feel dumb for repeatedly getting killed in what he knows is a minefield? Yes, yes he should. Should a person feel far, far dumber for sprinting blithely past large, brightly-colored warning signs in the middle of the day to end up dying in said mine field? Yes, yes he does.

Set 9 - Mines! Game over!

Ninja Snarl P on