As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] STALKER: Call of Pripyat - STALKER series overview

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Zone really manages to just keep the laughs rolling. Sometimes you find guys inexplicably bleeding to death in a bar, sometimes you get raped by a slavering tentacle-beast while wandering the wilderness, and sometimes a pile of dead guys zaps in from nowhere just to keep you on your toes. I like mystery as much as the next guy, but in the future I'd rather just open a door on a bunch of corpses than have an above-ground graveyard come out of nowhere.

And I don't even know what to say about what happens with a bloodsucker other than I'm happy I know exactly why he won't be calling me in the morning. Because I murder him, you see?

Didn't even get dinner.

Set 12 - So not my fault

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I loved how as soon as the dead guys appear your first thought is to shout, "So not my fault!"

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, it wasn't. Which just goes to show how utterly screwtastic the Zone is. You can be some poor sap lost in a complex with your unit and then ZAPPO, some idiot with a Dark Ages tricorder pulls all of you through a warp and kills the lot of you; then he swipes all your stuff and takes a bribe to keep quite about the whole thing.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, it wasn't. Which just goes to show how utterly screwtastic the Zone is. You can be some poor sap lost in a complex with your unit and then ZAPPO, some idiot with a Dark Ages tricorder pulls all of you through a warp and kills the lot of you; then he swipes all your stuff and takes a bribe to keep quite about the whole thing.

I'm pretty sure they'd been dead for a while.

Hint for the path to Pripyat. You've met two of the three people you can bring with you. That's all I'm saying.

-edit-

Oh, and one more thing. Carbon Dioxide counts as chemical damage.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That 'rape' is the new 'got attacked from behind by a bloodsucker' animation right? Also, Burers are god damn jerks.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    That 'rape' is the new 'got attacked from behind by a bloodsucker' animation right? Also, Burers are god damn jerks.

Great facial animation though :mrgreen:

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Options
    GarrisGarris Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this lets play series has me gripped, i die a little inside everytime i come home and theres no new episode :P

Garris on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Garris wrote: »
    this lets play series has me gripped, i die a little inside everytime i come home and theres no new episode :P

Ninja P has to have time to do other things besides have a good time on camera with a bloodsucker, and we just have to accept that and be patient. :P

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tell me about it; I just got an awesome boxed set of MST3K movies and getting through all of them is hard work.
    I'm actually in the middle of uploading/encoding a big set for tomorrow.
    While watching MST3K.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tell me about it; I just got an awesome boxed set of MST3K movies and getting through all of them is hard work.
    I'm actually in the middle of uploading/encoding a big set for tomorrow.
    While watching MST3K.

YES!
    Which MST3K? You on Joel or Mike? I recommend Final Justice with Joe Don Baker.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's a mixed bag, some Mike and some Joel; watched Final Justice just last week thanks to Netflix Instant View. It's 3-set deal I got off of Woot (something like half the normal price of the boxed sets) with 12 films and even a little Tom Servo figure. Certainly makes those uploads a lot better since now I can pop in an MST3K DVD instead of just waiting until I watch something on the internet again.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This set is a lot longer than normal but I didn't want to make people wait for an update to watch the outcome of all the recruiting I have to do. I'm just glad CoP features a fast travel system because it would've taken ages to do walk everywhere I go in this set.

I manage to make it to Pripyat with fully half my squad which is a full half more than I thought would make it. And I don't know why, but they seemed to do much better against swarms of enemy bullets than swarms of mutants. It also turns out that when somebody says you need a suit with a closed-cycle respiratory system, they actually aren't kidding. You see, regular carbon dioxide is fine, but it seems like green CO2 will kill you pretty fast. Gotta watch out for that stuff.

Set 13 - On to Pripyat!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's a mixed bag, some Mike and some Joel; watched Final Justice just last week thanks to Netflix Instant View. It's 3-set deal I got off of Woot (something like half the normal price of the boxed sets) with 12 films and even a little Tom Servo figure. Certainly makes those uploads a lot better since now I can pop in an MST3K DVD instead of just waiting until I watch something on the internet again.

normal view, normal VIEW, NORMAL VIEWWWWWW

Garris on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Excellent set, although it's too bad about Strider. I would have liked to have seen his reaction to being back in Pripyat and stuff later down the line.

I wonder if you'll be able to go back to Zaton or Yanov or if you'll even want to now that your in the city. Should be interesting to see what wacky stuff the Zone has done to it.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Set 14 is already recorded and yeah, you can definitely go back to the other areas after getting to Pripyat. In fact, you pretty much have to go back at least once.

Pripyat itself is pretty spooky. The background music is very eerie, there are tons of places for muties to hide, and it's just generally weird being in a totally abandoned city. The other parts of the Zone at least have Stalkers and bandits, but Pripyat has nobody except for the dudes in the base.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Set 14 is already recorded and yeah, you can definitely go back to the other areas after getting to Pripyat. In fact, you pretty much have to go back at least once.

Pripyat itself is pretty spooky. The background music is very eerie, there are tons of places for muties to hide, and it's just generally weird being in a totally abandoned city. The other parts of the Zone at least have Stalkers and bandits, but Pripyat has nobody except for the dudes in the base.

I bet if you ever got to visit the real Pripyat, it would be similar. Lots of empty buildings, trees, creepiness. Just no mutants.

That we know of... D:

I hear they give tours of it now and that you can go inside a lot of the buildings and stuff, and explore. I wouldn't mind trying that sometime.
    Looking forward to the next set.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just a heads up on Pripyat, do your exploring early. Once the finale starts, you lose your chance to explore and go get upgrades and such.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, the way the STALKER games do finales has me kind of paranoid when it comes to the ending sequences. It's pretty easy to get going on the finales without realizing it. I could probably make a run at the ending without much trouble using my normal loadout, but I'd rather poke around some first especially since it took something like a dozen sets to even get to Pripyat.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The last few sets were great. Fighting through the tunnels, the dead stalkers dropping out of that bubble. Good times.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I dont know if this is true but this LP really makes it seem like there isnt a huge variety of weapons that remain effective late game. For example there seems to be a pretty clear, best shotgun, best assault rifle, ect. I really hope I'm wrong since I want to play through this eventually.

Spartan 0092 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I dont know if this is true but this LP really makes it seem like there isnt a huge variety of weapons that remain effective late game. For example there seems to be a pretty clear, best shotgun, best assault rifle, ect. I really hope I'm wrong since I want to play through this eventually.

Best assault rifle really comes down to personal preference, and it's a matter of upgrading. As for the shotgun, the one Ninja picked up is pretty rare, but there are others that are almost as/just as good.

The biggest flaw I've found is the sniper rifles. You get about one option early on, but in Pripyat something like three more options show up all at once.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The weapon variety is actually much, much better than Shadow of Chernobyl and probably Clear Sky. SHoC has some very definite "best" choices for weaponry and you can't even upgrade anything. Clear Sky has some clearly superior weapons as well but you can also take preferred weapons and beef them up a bit. The weapons I stick with just tend to fit my playstyle better; as far as I can tell, pretty much every weapon in the game is useful. Since you can put whatever you want in your two weapon slots, even the sawn-off has definite benefits since it's light but has a big, big punch at close range.

Preference is a huge part of weapon choice in CoP. I prefer accuracy and ammo availability over hitting power so I stuck with Strelok's Rifle. I like being able to hose a room with metal pellets over massive single-shot power so I stuck with the automatic shotgun. I like rapid-fire ability in a lightweight platform rather than needle-point accuracy at 500 yards so I use the Vintar instead of the big sniper rifle. However, every one of those weapons could be replaced with something else to fit a different playstyle. Willing to burn cash and carry tons of extra ammo? Take the Tunder with its high power and integrated grenade launcher. Want a lighter rifle? Take the M4/M16 knockoff.

The sniper rifles really are slim pickings, though. It's probably the one category where it doesn't seem like anything at all has been added to CoP save the ability to customize them. However, they aren't really as game-changing as the other games since the assault rifles can actually hit something more than 50 feet away now. Useful, but not virtually required like they are in some part of SoC or Clear Sky.

If I weren't doing the LP on top of a blind playthrough, I'd definitely do more poking around with the weapons and see how they all. However, I try to keep the LP more focused so I don't end up with an hour of footage where nothing happens and nobody would want to watch.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    After three full ice ages of walking around, I finally, miraculously, find those dagnabbit calibration tools. Other than that, I hit my first confrontation with the Monolith faction (which I didn't even know was in CoP as an actual enemy), poke around Pripyat a little bit, solve yet another mystery, and fight a critter way too tough for its own good. Not a bad day overall.

Well, except for the part about finding out I have to go to lab X8. Lab X anything is never good.

Set 14 - Tools! Sprinting!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Great set. :^:

Dunno why, but laughed mightily at the beginning of set three. What with the butt in the air. Must still find that sort of thing funny.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sigh. So much effort spent on making a quality product and what gets the laugh? Two seconds of a dead guy's ass sticking up in the air.

Just makes you die a little inside.
    I went back and laughed at it too.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey, don't get me wrong, your LP is informative and the one you did for SoC got me to buy the whole series.

There's plenty of schadenfreude to go around most of the time and I still remember your bloodsucker massacre in SoC with the grenades and RPG. That laugh makes me chuckle even now. Keep it up.
    Pssst. Massacre is spelled using the word ass. :lol:

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well played.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just a heads up, if you care about the 2nd set of calibration tools, they are in a location you won't be sent too when doing missions, so you'll want to explore to find them. The store/repair location rule is still in effect in Pripyat.

Each of the technicians has a third tier thing only they can upgrade. Cardan was the servo motros, I think Nitro is thermal imaging. I forget which upgrade the guy at the scientist bunker gets. His unlocks after you do missions for the scientists, but I don't recall specifically which one.

Other tips:

Joker (He's kind of hard to spot)
    He's in the first area, near the Oakpine. Find him and you won't need to get Cardan wasted anymore.

You should also keep exploring that bunker with the weird pipes in the SW of the second zone.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I'll be headed back to the ventilation complex before the end. I wanna know what the deal is with that; it's pretty clear you can get in but I just didn't figure out how when I was there.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'll say once you eventually deal with the X lab, that's the time to go back and finish anything left over. The finale starts soon after that.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Good LP. I can't find a way into the ventilation complex either, and I refuuuuse to use a walkthrough. Also, I know you've been trained to hate water from SoC and CS, but water in CoP is largely harmless. It's just really, really loud. Shoot, really, if you're facing some bloodsuckers, run into the middle of a swamp or something, and watch the ripples as they try to sneak around you.

Also, your strange need to hoard every damn weapon you find bugs me. :P You only need 2 weapons, 3 at most!

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I'll say once you eventually deal with the X lab, that's the time to go back and finish anything left over. The finale starts soon after that.

Just got through Lab X8 and all I have to say is this:
    AHAHAHAHA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAA *babbleanddrool*
    And yes, I know I compulsively hoard weapons. I just cannot stand the idea of not having a weapon somebody asks for or not having the right tool for a job. And I don't think I will ever completely trust water in a STALKER game ever even though I've walked through it plenty in CoP. It will always be this nebulous thing waiting to boil me alive with radiation or melt me with poison. It's like an unofficial anomaly to my brain now.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Small tip for the ventilation complex: the entrance may not necessarily be there within the complex proper. Explore out a little bit.

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I'll be headed back to the ventilation complex before the end. I wanna know what the deal is with that; it's pretty clear you can get in but I just didn't figure out how when I was there.

I meant the place with the zombies and rats, actually, just to the west of the vents.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Unless you know something I don't, then I'm like 90% sure that place with the pipes (and rats and zombies) is the way to get into the ventilation complex. At least it really seems that way. There's even a place up at the top of the pipes where it looks like you supposed to be able to open up a gate or something.

If that isn't the way in or I can't find, I'll just have to hit up a walkthrough or something before I get to the endgame. I would really like to find out what is back there and the mystery has just languished for something like 6 sets.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Darn, I saw Ninja P had posted and I thought maybe there was a set update :(

Garris on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Unless you know something I don't, then I'm like 90% sure that place with the pipes (and rats and zombies) is the way to get into the ventilation complex. At least it really seems that way. There's even a place up at the top of the pipes where it looks like you supposed to be able to open up a gate or something.

If that isn't the way in or I can't find, I'll just have to hit up a walkthrough or something before I get to the endgame. I would really like to find out what is back there and the mystery has just languished for something like 6 sets.

Go back in there, look around some more.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mmmm, disappointment. Tasty.

Unless I update the OP and the thread title, then there's no new set. Besides, I just put up a new set yesterday with another one waiting for editing. CAN'T A MAN LIVE HIS LIFE?
    People clamoring for new sets always makes me feel awesome and I'm okay with that.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mmmm, disappointment. Tasty.

Unless I update the OP and the thread title, then there's no new set. Besides, I just put up a new set yesterday with another one waiting for editing. CAN'T A MAN LIVE HIS LIFE?
    People clamoring for new sets always makes me feel awesome and I'm okay with that.

Lol sorry for the pressure, I missed the boat on these stalker games, and im not likely to have a pc that can play them for a long time and they look so damn awesome, like Fallout3 but more..gritty I guess is what im thinking...

Garris on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No worries.

Yeah, the STALKER games are definitely unique. I've heard rumors that the next STALKER game will be made uses a Crysis engine and that would be completely spectacular.

Ninja Snarl P on