Options

Fuck World of Tanks, all hail Tankhammer (who you gonna call?)

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the numbers besides people's names in matches mean they are in a platoon. Or do you mean the named medals like Kay's medal?

Ogotai on
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just played some platoon rounds with Ogotai and Evigilant. Was quite a bit of fun! Some rounds we did really well, others not so much. Mainly it's just nice to know that you have some support to count on.

Next time I think I might try bringing artillery to a platoon. It'd be interesting to see how that dynamic works. I can imagine it being either pretty pointless or really great, depending on who you're grouped with.

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ogotai wrote: »
    the numbers besides people's names in matches mean they are in a platoon. Or do you mean the named medals like Kay's medal?

Both, I just put them together in a confusing nonsensical way.

L|ama on
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just played some platoon rounds with Ogotai and Evigilant. Was quite a bit of fun! Some rounds we did really well, others not so much. Mainly it's just nice to know that you have some support to count on.

Next time I think I might try bringing artillery to a platoon. It'd be interesting to see how that dynamic works. I can imagine it being either pretty pointless or really great, depending on who you're grouped with.

I hope they add platoon only chat, because when we say we're going left or right, I don't mean for the entire team to follow.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Evigilant wrote: »

I hope they add platoon only chat, because when we say we're going left or right, I don't mean for the entire team to follow.

Yes, that would be good. Platoons could use quite a bit of interface help.

Until they get that sorted out, though, Ventrilo or Teamspeak would be a nice workaround. We should probably look into that. Isn't there a PA Vent server? Is it kosher to use that for gaming purposes?

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes and yes, there's even an SE specific server floating around, let me look up the info real quick.

Edit: vtx14.defconservers.com
    Port: 3860
    PW: fortytwo

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    has anyone restarted the PA chat channel yet?

Yeah there's an SE vent, vtx14.defconservers.com port 3860, pw wang. You can probably just use one of the disused channels or ask an admin to make a new one, I can't even remember which people are admins though. Anjin maybe?

edit: Oh yeah the pass is fortytwo, not wang.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cool beans. And yeah, I created the PA channel. Still called Penny Arcade, which I think is case sensitive. Password is still wang.

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I went for the Panther line, getting the VK3001h so that I can later enter into the german TD's

It sucks a little trying to get into the black with the panther, so I got a church as well

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I went toward the Panther line as well, but only had the XP to grab the pzkfw 3/4. Weird little tank.

In any case, I'm glad they introduced the platoon system. A friend and I had a blast today playing together.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    T44s are roughly a billion times more annoying than Panthers for me in the IS

panthers are still a bit of a problem, but I can easily solo them most of the time unless they have good backup. T44s are just rage machines.

L|ama on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i love my DB. it's so great

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    double butts

I'm liking my IS, and I can only see it getting better for the higher tier ones

L|ama on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, exams are over. Let's play some goddamn platoons

imma get me a sexy panther.
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    so apparently the jgdpanzer 4 is incredible for it's cost and placement in the tech tree, and I just never knew

Yeah. Pretty cheap, and getting a jagdpanther isn't that expensive either.

Maybe I'll bother going to TD tree again

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    unless the panther's hugely better for making money or something, I would recommend the T44 over it. Its gun, armour, and mobility all cause me a hell of a lot more problems than the panther does.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    but the panther is so goddamn sexy

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Tempted to go ferdinand. According to the forums tier 7+ battles are swamped with IS-7s. Is this true?

People like to exaggerate on fora in general

Alegis on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    each battle tends to have a few IS-3's and above

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    the jagdpanther chassis was already giving me a boner

can't

resist

hrrrrngh

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    800px-Relitti_2.jpg

mm mm mmmmmm

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ohhh yeah baby take that top off

smoking hot

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    unless the panther's hugely better for making money or something, I would recommend the T44 over it. Its gun, armour, and mobility all cause me a hell of a lot more problems than the panther does.

T-44 is more agile and better armored, but the Panther's upgraded 88mm L/71 is substantially better than anything the T-44 can mount. Plus the Panther has 1200 health vs. the T-44's 920.

Basically they're good at different things - T-44 is a brawler, Panther is better at standoff support and sniping.

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Panther is better at standoff support and sniping.

Which I noticed I'm doing. Can't shake off them TD habits

Panther wise - recommended modules & secondary skills? One repair dude and firefighter right now. Tempted to go a camouflage if I keep playing the way I do.

I guess I'll be needing one more repair and firefighter dude in any case
    Vertical toolbox and repair seem the nicest

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Panther is better at standoff support and sniping.

Which I noticed I'm doing. Can't shake off them TD habits

Panther wise - recommended modules & secondary skills? One repair dude and firefighter right now. Tempted to go a camouflage if I keep playing the way I do.

I guess I'll be needing one more repair and firefighter dude in any case
    Vertical toolbox and repair seem the nicest

I've never played a Panther specifically so I don't necessarily know which is the best fit, but in general I like 50/50 repairs/firefighters for a medium. I'm almost never trying to stay hidden, so camo seems pointless.

However, as you say, if you spend a lot of time ducking in and out of cover or holding still at range, camo could pay off for a Panther.

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    New mountain valley map. Cool, let's explore. Cross village si- 2 IS-7s and a ferdinand right around the corner.

"uhh sup guys"

a world of hurt

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So any of you former/current jadgpanther drivers, 88 or 105? I have been using the 88 so far for the faster refire/better accuracy/lower shell cost.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I used 10.5

but then again I'm obsessed with making the biggest gaping holes in the bigdog tanks
    reload time didn't bother me as jagdpanther as much as wanting things dead when I faced them

In duels your damage output is much higher with 10.5

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mmm, gaping holes.

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ok, tried the 105. Nearly soloed an IS3 twice. Very nice gun, just 1k per shell can get expensive with that fast a refire, so I may keep the 88 for time when I am just trying to make money.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    TalonZahnTalonZahn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I added Supra and Dru to my contacts last night. I'll add the rest tonight. I'll even jump on Vent. Is there a chat channel in game you're using also?

I so badly need to be in squads as the general populace tends to suck nads.

The two new maps are so awesome. The snow one is just about the best damn map I've ever seen/used.

If I could convince people that giving up the high ground on the "Hills" map isn't a good idea, I might win occasionally while on that map.

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So much for the idea that platoons would lead to some better play.

So a platoon of s51, su8, hummel supported a platoon of a IS3, IS, and i think tiger on the open side of karelia. I took the side behind the hill with only a un-upgraded tiger and i think an su5 for support. The tiger and me killed another IS4, hummel, and took an Ausfs B down to 13%. At that point I was alone with 150hp, and the two platoons are still dicking around trying to kill one IS3 with 3 big arties and 3 heavies after killing a couple mediums.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, platoons can't make people aim better. :?

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ogotai wrote: »
    Ok, tried the 105. Nearly soloed an IS3 twice. Very nice gun, just 1k per shell can get expensive with that fast a refire, so I may keep the 88 for time when I am just trying to make money.

Wow, the JgPanther gun is 1k a shell? I thought only artillery had ammo prices that high.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Think it was 600 before patch, they upped in to be more inline with the russian 122mm guns. All of those cost about 1k a shell and atleast one of the 122m can be fitted from the KV1S and up.

The 88 L71 is still about 250 per, just like the shorter 88.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I decided to go for the Russian mediums, and now own a fully upgraded T-43.

I have a good chunk of gold leftover though, so can anyone recommend a decent premium tank for credit grinding?

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    church or matilda are what i usually see. Church has faster gun but ap only i think, better armor, slower acceleration. Matilda can use HE, accelerates quicker but just as slow, less armor/hp but some say its not shot as much as its not a heavy tank. The german ones seem worse, except of the teir 2 one in recrute battles mabe.

I thinking of getting a matilda myself.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I like my churchill well enough

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I like the matilda because it's quite good and underestimated by a lot of people, but the churchill has the heavy icon which may as well be a target for everyone

L|ama on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah, the churchill tends to be a shell magnet but that's less true after the soft wipe since there are so many of them
    I'd still probably get the matilda instead

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg