As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fuck World of Tanks, all hail Tankhammer (who you gonna call?)

DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited November 2010 in Social Entropy++
So there's this game called World of Tanks that just expanded its closed beta. Yeah, it's closed. If you don't have a key you'll have to hunt one down. Uriel found a site that had a few left but they're already gone. You can also sign up at the website and wait for them to let you in. Or just wait till the beta's open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJd9iCbpwuI

http://game.worldoftanks.com/

UPDATE: MORE BETA KEYS AVAILABLE HERE. HURRY BEFORE THEY'RE GONE.

So, this is a game about tanks.

Well, to be fair there's also artillery units that you can control instead. But if you're artillery, expect all the other tanks to rush ahead and leave you completely undefended against the enemy tanks that will certainly sneak around the flank no one bothered to guard so they can kill you and cap your base.

So you want to wreck shit with a tank. Hey, who doesn't?

But check yourself hombre, because the way WoT works you have to earn experience in a given chassis before you can research your way to the next vehicles in the tech tree. Which means as a greenhorn you'll be driving either the soviet MS-1 or the german Leichttraktor. Both of which are pretty damn slow, have puny guns, and lousy armor.

The good news is that you can use experience you earn in a chassis to research a few upgrades to that chassis, but with light tanks you're best off saving your money and experience to focus on the suspension (treads) which determine your top speed and turning speed (as well as your max load), the engine which determines your acceleration, and the radio which determines the range you can communicate with other tanks. That radio range is important especially for light tanks because your primary role will be to scout enemies for bigger tanks and artillery, and if you're out of radio range then the best you can do is call out the hex they're in. But if you're in radio range they can see their precise location.

When you stat playing, you will by default be put into "recruit" matches. 15 players per team with everyone playing vehicles that are below a certain tech level so you're not going up against heavy tanks that can kill you just by ramming you. The two starter tanks are also free to repair and rearm with ammo after a battle, which is nice because repairing higher tier tanks can get pretty expensive.

Unfortunately, there are no clans yet but they will be enabled once the beta goes open. They will also add American tanks by release and then later will add British, French, and Japanese vehicles. So since there are no clans, every match is a pub match. Which means there's just not that much coordination typically, and also lots of assholes complaining about killstealing or how terrible everyone but them is. But them's the shakes.

The game's pretty simplistic at this point, and working your way up from the lower tier tanks can be pretty grindy, but if you want to check it out and can get a key, give it a try!

Here's the complete soviet tree
WoTsoviettechtree.png

and the complete german tree
WoTgermantechtree.png

So far the only forumers I know play this aside from me are Urian, Pip, and Hunter

QUOTED BECAUSE PEOPLE KEEP ASKING THE SAME QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER EVEN THOUGH I'VE ALREADY ANSWERED THEM BUT THEY'RE TOO LAZY TO LOOK FOR THE INFO:
Druhim wrote: »
some tips for those of you that don't know, keep in mind that t3 vehicles and above automatically move you out of the "recruit" matches which means that as a t3 vehicle you're facing everything from t3 up

you will get decimated
most tanks will kill you just by looking at you

so a few options that can make that transition easier:
During the beta (I have no idea if this will be true after release) you get 150 gold every day that you play. That gold can be used to buy "premium" vehicles for any tier that don't need to be researched, but be careful about doing so as these vehicles can not be upgraded at all and are usually just a little better than the weakest vehicles for that tier.

I would argue there are two better uses for your gold. You can convert gold into silver (which you can then use to buy anything else) at a conversion rate of 400 silver/gold. That's 60k silver/day free just for playing at least one match a day. So you can chill out at t2 for a week or so and save up quite a bit of money so that you can blow through t3 into t4 or 5 even faster and actually be able to afford a tank from those tiers. Also, if you research all options (whether you equip them or not) for a class of vehicle, it becomes elite. This gives you two new options for experience earned with that vehicle. You can either use that extra experience that you continue to accrue on that vehicle to speed crew training, or even better you can spend gold to turn that into "free experience". Free experience is good because that means it's not associated with a particular chassis. So if you have a few thousand free experience and enough money, you can buy a t3 tank and then research all the improvements that get you to the next tier without actually playing the tank at all (and remember that your experience is already converted into free experience so you don't need to research everything for that chassis to make it elite before buying the next tier).
Druhim wrote: »
L|ama wrote: »
What does crew experience do? Just make them slightly better at their job? Can they level up to be put in new tanks or anything?

yeah, so a more experienced gunner is more accurate/aims faster
more experienced loader reduces your reload time
more experience driver allows you to move/turn faster
and the commander basically buffs the other crew based on his experience
so if the commander is at 46%, it rounds up and buffs the other crew by 5%
I don't think they can be moved to other tanks though
but you can use exp earned after you've researched all options for a tank to speed crew training but I'd recommend instead that you convert it into free experience to level through other tiers faster to get to the next tiers

Also, a good FAQ on crew (which can be transferred to other tanks in spite of what I said earlier, but read up and make sure it actually makes sense in your case): http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/869-faq-crew/

belruelotterav-1.jpg
Druhim on

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This looks neat.

Someone send me a key

k thx

Abracadaniel on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am am going to b low you fuckers up.

My name is Jarofmayo on there.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm in as BlueDestiny, rockin' a Pzkfw2. And spending all my money on all the upgrades forever.

BlueDestiny on
    edited July 2010
    I am loving this game duders.

I like the russian tank more.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    played this for an hourish

maxed out the lkeruzer

farming up for a bison

PiptheFair on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah, I'm finding I like the soviet tanks more also

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I only still have the Ltracktor and the MS1 though.

I really think it'll get better around the panzer 4... But I don't know if I wanna stick it out.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited July 2010
    It's the german in my blood. I just can't help it.

BlueDestiny on
    edited July 2010
    Hey I'm a bit german too.

I love bigass tanks.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    man I would hate to live in a World of Tanks

Gettin' blown up or run over all the time

That world would suck

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    that's a game entirely about tanks

why not just play battletanx

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited July 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    that's a game entirely about tanks

why not just play battletanx

Because this has awesome 3d graphics, and is free, and has cool customizable realistic tanks...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it's free as a beta

unless they've rolled out their development model

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited July 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    it's free as a beta

unless they've rolled out their development model

Everything I've read says it's gonna be free2play my droog.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited July 2010
    Listening to this while throwing bolts (shells) at people online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiA7viqt0hQ

Tallahasseeriel on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh my

ohhh myyyy

What's the realism like on a scale of 1 (bf42) to 10 (WW2 Online: Battleground Europe/some other proper sim)?

also pip pip hey pip I have a new stalkee for you

L|ama on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    This looks neat.

Someone send me a key

k thx

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    we don't have keys to send out
    you have to go get one somehow
    find a site that still has some left

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If anyone needs a key, it looks like I have one from some website I registered at a while ago.

Zandracon on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, I'm out of work now guys. What is this bullshit about this not being a Tankhammer thread?

TankHammer on
    edited July 2010
    It has a fairly detailed damage model and physics, but it plays with WASD and the mouse Llama. You don't need to hit shift-F5 to switch to spotter and jot down windage in the captains log or whatever.

BlueDestiny on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This thread reminded me of when I used to play Tanarus every day after school. Some friends and I got to be pretty damn good at it too, which is surprising since I'm usually not very good at online games.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited July 2010
    Holy shit they have the fucking MAUS in this!? That's gonna be BRUTAL.

TankHammer on
    edited July 2010
    I just wish clans were already enabled

it would be much more enjoyable to get a group of forumers together and actually coordinate effectively

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh god yes.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited July 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    oh my

ohhh myyyy

What's the realism like on a scale of 1 (bf42) to 10 (WW2 Online: Battleground Europe/some other proper sim)?

also pip pip hey pip I have a new stalkee for you

oh my word

PiptheFair on
    edited July 2010
    oh hey will

was gonna im you this but you a butt

PiptheFair on
    edited July 2010
    Found a site that hands out beta keys if anyone's interested. (PM me)

Just registered as TankHammer. Downloading now.

TankHammer on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TankHammer wrote: »

Thank you so much!

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited July 2010
    as far as I can tell, not only do they not have clans (yet) but you can't even join a game with friends
    you just have to go random every time
    I'm sure that'll change later but that's pretty lame

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Pharezon wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »

Thank you so much!

You're welcome

See you on the field of battle maybe!

(Not sure if my laptop can run this since it had a shitload of trouble running the APB beta)

TankHammer on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have registered for this game as CorporateLogo

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited July 2010
    It has a fairly detailed damage model and physics, but it plays with WASD and the mouse Llama. You don't need to hit shift-F5 to switch to spotter and jot down windage in the captains log or whatever.

it's just that knowing I'm killing someone else's crew by fully modelled spallation is so much more fulfilling than whittling down a health bar

also I'm Llama in this, downloading it now.

L|ama on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If someone has a key left, please PM me one. It is relevant to my interests as I like tanks. And blowing things up. And Germans.

The Otaku Suppository on
    edited July 2010
    you're not supposed to like the germans

bad otaku

L|ama on
    edited July 2010
    liking german tanks is entirely acceptable

PiptheFair on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Except for the whole genocide thing, the Germans kick ass. Cool looking uniforms, tanks, planes, and stuff.

Hunter on
    edited July 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    Except for the whole genocide thing, the Germans kick ass. Cool looking uniforms, tanks, planes, and stuff.

also werewolf women with awesome titties

PiptheFair on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »

also werewolf women with awesome titties

Don't forget vampire Germans feeding them cocaine blood to make them stronger and so addicted they're obedient.

Hunter on
    edited July 2010
    I don't remember that part

PiptheFair on