As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBA: Playoffs! Refs are the only team that matters.

• Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Three armed men broke into the south Charlotte home of Bobcats’ Stephen Jackson and held his wife at gunpoint before locking her in a bathroom and stealing valuables, police say.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/22/1577971/armed-men-break-into-home-of-bobcats.html#ixzz0uTOjEdPB

stephen jackson is going to shoot some mother fuckers

you don't fuck with stephen jackson

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Why the fuck would you break into Stephen Jackson's house? Did they not see the Brawl at the Palace? Stephen Jackson is gonna kill you.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why the fuck would you break into Stephen Jackson's house? Did they not see the Brawl at the Palace? Stephen Jackson is gonna kill you.

That's almost as dumb as stepping to Artest. Everyone knows you don't step to Artest.

Cauld on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cauld wrote: »

That's almost as dumb as stepping to Artest. Everyone knows you don't step to Artest.

i dunno he's kinda a big softie these days
    maybe these guys figured the same has happened to stephen jackson

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

i dunno he's kinda a big softie these days
    maybe these guys figured the same has happened to stephen jackson

Artest is from Queensbridge! Queensbridge!

Cauld on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Artest watched a guy get stabbed with a fucking table leg in Queensbridge.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Seriously. If you're gonna rob somebody's house, Stephen Jackson's gotta be at the bottom of the list. Didn't he have some kind of 'shooting outside of a strip club' incident after the brawl at the palace?

Bobble on
  • Options
    tinyfisttinyfist Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bergy wrote: »
    tinyfist wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with having 16 teams, but 3 of the people already entered only have a grand total of 7 posts in this and the last NBA thread.

Hope they are reliable. (Yotes, Namel3ss, and Tinyfist)

I'm mostly a lurker, but I will do my best not to slow down the draft. That being said, if y'all are more comfortable dropping me to ensure a smaller group, I would understand too!

responding that quickly is more than enough for me.

Yeah, no doubt. Last slow draft I think we had 24 hours between picks, except on weekends when it was extended.

This system sounds kinda... perfect, actually.

But with 15 or 16 teams and assuming 8 players a team, we would need at least 128 days to get this done (more with weekend extensions) and there is only 96 days left until the start of the season. Will that be a problem?

tinyfist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    generally the first coupla rounds goes pretty fast people rarely use up the entirety of their 24 hours

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not like you'll need to make a 1 hour special for your decision for the first overall round pick....

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    TachosTachos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goodbye Matt Barnes, we hardly knew ye. You will be missed buddy, your hustle was refreshing.

Tachos on
    Your sig was too tall. -Thanatos
    Sig1copy.jpg
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    True story: Matt Barnes threatened to kick my ass once :)

Was getting drunk at a friend's apartment in Westwood, and Barnes and his friends thought maybe there was a party going on (there wasn't). Someone says "Hey, Matt Barnes is at the door!" and my dumbass drunk friend yells "Man, FUCK Matt Barnes!"

Barnes sticks his head in the door all pissed off, "Who said 'Fuck Matt Barnes'?" and decided it was me.

I'm like "what? noooo i like matt barnes man."

I'm not sure how they got him to leave because I was nearly comatose at the time.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's not like you'll need to make a 1 hour special for your decision for the first overall round pick....

i already checked my local listings

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

i already checked my local listings

Just remember, its for charity.

Cauld on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://deadspin.com/5595044/the-john-salley-story-corner-a-new-feature
    When I left Detroit to play for the Heat, I rented a house on Star Island in Miami Beach, across from Rony Seikaly. He was living in the house that Shaq later paid $19 million for; Rony built it for $2.5 million. Anyway, my house got robbed, and he let me, my daughter, and my wife move into his place for a week. Seikaly was one of my guys. He knew I wasn't there to take his job; I was there to play power forward. One day, he says to me, "Hey, man, how do you play all the way into June?" Remember, I'd been with the Pistons for six seasons and made the playoffs every year. I say, "What'd you say?" He goes, "The playoffs, third round, you guys play all the way to, like, June 28."

"Uh, that's what you do when you win a championship," I say.

"But you only get paid from November to April. That's taking too much of the summer, man. This is ridiculous."

I say: "Well, playing for a championship is about pride. It's not about money."

He says: "It has to be, because this is some bullshit. You guys play an extra two months."

And I was like, holy shit. I didn't even realize it. I was playing an extra two-and-a-half months, for free.

I laughed.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Starbury apparently prefers being a big fish in a small pond. At least he's the best point guard in his league now, right?

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eh, I can't blame Marbury. He basically had a nervous breakdown his last year in the league. Kinda reminds me of Dave Chappelle jetting off to Africa.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think its pretty cool. How many pro-sports stars do you think could handle living in China for more than a couple weeks (while on a promotional tour)? Not many, other than the Chinese ones.

Cauld on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do NBA players really not get paid for the playoffs?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If it is anything like baseball they get a share based on how far they go but it's pretty close to nothing when compared to the salaries the big stars make.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd stay in China too, he is earning as much as he could in the NBA (would anybody sign him to more than the vet minimum at the moment?) while playing half the games.

Larry Coon's CBA bible doesn't mention anything about playoff pay, so I assume players don't get paid while teams get a smallish payoff.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If it is anything like baseball they get a share based on how far they go but it's pretty close to nothing when compared to the salaries the big stars make.

Yup, compared to most players' salaries their playoff share is meaningless.
    One of the strangest things we've heard from Jerry Sloan in recent weeks is his claim that the Jazz should have wanted to play hard and improve their playoff position if for no other reason than that there's more money the higher you finish.

He's absolutely right, but the money in the NBA's playoff pool seems so insignificant to somebody like Andrei Kirilenko making more than $15 million this season or Carlos Boozer making more than $12 million.

Shouldn't they want to win because they're making all that money in the first place? In fact, the NBA's entire $11 million playoff pool - - that's for all 16 teams that make it - - is less than either Kirilenko or Boozer made this season individually.

The NBA's playoff guide has the breakdown, which I think is well worth sharing. Just for making the playoffs, the Jazz receive $164,168, which they then divide into shares starting with all 15 players. Assuming there are 20 shares, each player will receive . . . $8,208.40.

So you can pretty much rule out money as motivation in the playoffs. Kirilenko made more every minute he played during the regular season than he will make in total for the Jazz's first-round series against the Lakers.
    http://blogs.sltrib.com/jazz/2009/04/saturday-report.htm

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like chris paul won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

GM Statement

CP3's statement

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    booooo
    we want another super team

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So reportedly the Bulls are close to signing McGrady.

Also, Kirk Hinrich was introduced in a presser by the Wizards today, during which team officials repeatedly called him "Kurt".
    Rodney-Dangerfield.jpg

Personally, I can't wait until Kirby Hinrich suits up for the Wizards. The Wiz could use a tough defender at the guard spot who's not as terrible as Stevenson, and Kyle Hinrich certainly fills that role. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wiz go small at times this year, with Kent Hinrich playing some SF.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    So reportedly the Bulls are close to signing McGrady.

Also, Kirk Hinrich was introduced in a presser by the Wizards today, during which team officials repeatedly called him "Kurt".
    Rodney-Dangerfield.jpg

Personally, I can't wait until Kirby Hinrich suits up for the Wizards. The Wiz could use a tough defender at the guard spot who's not as terrible as Stevenson, and Kyle Hinrich certainly fills that role. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wiz go small at times this year, with Kent Hinrich playing some SF.

Vinny Del Negro used to call him Kurt last year too. I'd say 9 out of 10 times he called him Kurt.

As far as I know its not his nickname.

Only hope the Bulls sign McGrady if he is willing to not be a total bitch. Considering how today he told reporters:
    "I'd fit in well. I bring what I know about the game and my athleticism and versatility. Knowing my smarts for the game, leadership, anything I can add to get these guys over the edge. Without me, without (Carlos) Boozer, they're a .500 club. With the guys we added, we'll be 30 better."

"If I was the player I was in a Knicks uniform, I would have no problem coming off the bench," he said. "But I have worked extremely hard and I'm far from that player. It's up to me in training camp to prove I'm a starter."

:? he probably is going to cause problems.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Looks like chris paul won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

GM Statement

CP3's statement

I don't believe it. The team isn't going anywhere anytime soon, including the playoffs again probably this year.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bigger team cancer - McGrady or in-the-playoffs Vince Carter?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Vince Carter at least has been relatively healthy. He just chokes when things get tough.

Last year t-mac although he was recovering from an injury put up Larry Hughes numbers.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.cgi?id=NvxGp

terrrrrible.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    71-11 would be pretty impressive, and I would give all the credit to McGrady for that turnaround

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    lordswing wrote: »
    71-11 would be pretty impressive, and I would give all the credit to McGrady for that turnaround

i think he meant 30 games over 500. 56-26.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cleveland trades Delonte West and Sebastian Telfair to Minnesota for Ramon Sessions, Ryan Hollins and a draft pick, a source told Y! Sports.

Probably a little late, Cleveland.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cleveland trades Delonte West and Sebastian Telfair to Minnesota for Ramon Sessions, Ryan Hollins and a draft pick, a source told Y! Sports.

Probably a little late, Cleveland.

was bron's mom included in the deal?
    does she get any money?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait, Minnesota is taking back Sebastian Telfair? His first time around wasn't enough?

EDIT:

I may not be completely right on this, but I think this is how it all ended up working out.

Minnesota trades KG for Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff, and 2 picks, which become Corey Brewer and Chris Richard.

Minnesota trades Gerald Green for Kirk Snyder, who signs in China after the offseason.

Minnesota trades Ryan Gomes for Martell Webster.

Minnesota trades Sebastian Telfair for Quentin Richardson, who is eventually traded for Mark Blount, who is eventually waived.

Minnesota waives Theo Ratliff immediately after signing him.

Minnesota trades Al Jefferson for Kousta Koufos and 2 picks.

So for KG, Minnesota has ended up with these players currently on its roster: Corey Brewer, Kousta Koufos, Martell Webster, and the second go-round of Sebastian Telfair.

Quentin on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Beasley and Delonte West on the same team?

this season is going to be great.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think you forgot about Sebastian "Gun Charges" Telfair.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wolves could waive Delonte West, only guaranteed $500,000, to further get under the salary cap, and trade Telfair, source tells Y! Sports.

seems like the dream will die quickly.

also expect delonte's nba career to probably be over.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wolves could waive Delonte West, only guaranteed $500,000, to further get under the salary cap, and trade Telfair, source tells Y! Sports.

Oh boohoo, he might have fucked Lebron's mom, who gives a shit, he's a perfectly serviceable backup and someone will bite.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Oh boohoo, he might have fucked Lebron's mom, who gives a shit, he's a perfectly serviceable backup and someone will bite.

today the same day he was traded he begins his 8 months of home detention and electronic monitoring for his gun charges and leading the cops on a highspeed chase. He is allowed to attend practice, and go to away games.

i think he is a good player, but he is bipolar, a felon, and may have caused team problems with the cavs last season. the odds are against him, but he probably isn't the worst dude still in the league.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

today the same day he was traded he begins his 8 months of home detention and electronic monitoring for his gun charges and leading the cops on a highspeed chase. He is allowed to attend practice, and go to away games.

i think he is a good player, but he is bipolar, a felon, and may have caused team problems with the cavs last season. the odds are against him, but he probably isn't the worst dude still in the league.

True, but I'm sure that someone will give him a chance given that there is no PR fallout for anything he does.

Picardathon on
This discussion has been closed.