As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RADlands - Everyone shut the fuck up, VAMOS A BAILAR

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks great, DE?AD! I'm liking the broad, context-sensitive skill list.

[Democracy Town][Ash] Stress 0% Spirit 0%
    [Skills: Athletics 60%, Marksmanship 40%, Medicine 20%, Empathy 10%]
    [Traits: Uncanny Aim [Power], Friendly, College Student [Luck], Outdoorsman, Craves Approval]
    [Injuries: Nasty Scar]

This is exciting.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Almost forgot
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    [Democracy Town] [The Ocean King] Stress 0% Spirit 0%
    Human Uniter of Tribes and Ruler of All Under the Eternal Blue(ish Green) Sky
    [Traits] One Man Blitzkrieg (or Off-the-cuff Blitzkrieg)[Thorns], Burning Spirit!, Khagan [Spirit], Wasteland Wanderer, Oblivious(or Delusional)
    [Skills] Close Combat 55%, Athletics 35%, Subterfuge 10%, Manipulation 30%, Empathy 10%
    [Equipment] Mongol Power Armor

There. Now make with the advice.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    NeoToma wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards Oblivious since basically EVERYONE in Radlands is delusional in some way

The dude thinks Ash is a man.

So, yeah, Oblivious works best.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    [Democracy Town] [The Ocean King] Stress 0% Spirit 0%
    Human Uniter of Tribes and Ruler of All Under the Eternal Blue(ish Green) Sky
    [Traits] Off-the-cuff Blitzkrieg[Thorns], Burning Spirit!, Khagan [Spirit], Wasteland Wanderer, Oblivious
    [Skills] Close Combat 55%, Athletics 35%, Subterfuge 10%, Manipulation 30%, Empathy 10%
    [Equipment] Mongol Power Armor, --, --

Okay then.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ummmm
    DE?AD, am I doing a stat block for STYX, or his unknown identity
    also, does the unknown identity have that special ability we agreed on months ago, or is he just generic?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh hooray!

now I just gotta get on a plane and fly home all day so I can enjoy this tomorrow

:S

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    [Eternal Flame][Syd McGee] Stress 0% Tetsuo 0%
    Skills: Alteration 65%, Manipulation 35%, Athletics 25%, Theory 15%, Perception 10%
    Traits: Electrokinesis [Muse], Machiavellian [Power], Teen-aged hottie, Spoiled Suburbanite, Hot-Headed
    Equipment: Whore's Armor, --, --

Okay I think I'm done.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    [CRABBY] Stress 0% RAD ??%
    [Traits]: Astonishing Agility [|] [Power], Vivacious [|], Chitinous Utility Droid [Muse], Cyborg Freaker, Naïve
    [Skills]: Athletics 50%, Persuasion 40%, Marksmanship 40%, Engineering 10%, Artistry 5%, Device Use 5%
    [Equipment]: Chemical Gear, Hookshot, RAD Voicebox

Queries:
    1. You briefly mention that traits can affect chance in opposed conflict, but don't mention skills. Does a high Athletics skill make it harder for an enemy to hit you, or can only a trait do that?
    2. Can Marksmanship be used for both the hookshot and chemical thrower?
    3. Can Astonishing Agility apply to both Athletics and Marksmanship?
    4. Do the hookshot and chemical gear (thrower + flame retardant carapace) provide enough of a mechanical bonus to be considered equipment?
    5. Does the black card occupy an equipment slot, or is it additional?

Squall on
  • Options
    DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dang that is a lot to read through. I will probably be too lazy to type up a header on the phone, but I'll read through it so I have something prepared when I get back

(Also that is a wonderful picture)

DontShootToasters on
    digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    [Mission][Chet Lumbowski] Stress 0% Blood 0%
    Traits: Telekinetic, Nice Guy, Customer Service, Waiter, Hideous Mutant
    Skills: Alteration 55%, Close Combat 25% , Practice 20%, Thoery 20%, Empathy 20%
    Equipment: Fleshy Helmet with arms.

Eh? Ehhhh?

Shabooty on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    [Mission][Dan] Stress 0% RAD 0%
    Traits: Tough[Armor], Gritty, Gunslinger[Power], Hell's Angel, Gullible
    Skills: Marksmanship 50%, Perception 30%, Persuasion 30%, Empathy 20% Vehicle Operation 20%
    Equipment: Ivory-handled Revolver?

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dux: Looks good. The only things that strikes me as odd are his Persuasion skill and his [Flaw]. Neither THM or Kain have shown to be particularly well-spoken of charismatic, and from what I've seen, he seems to have more of a low sense-of-self that any sort of confidence problem. If you put those there because you want to steer him that way, cool, but they don't necessarily stand out as "Things I know about Kain" to me.

Cyense: Traits not Talents. You've got [Sword-Armed Mutant], [Shark-Man], and [No Hands]. Those all seem like they should be rolled into one thing. Also, as discussed, physical [Flaws] are best left to super-major things. You're only ever gonna get five Traits, make 'em count.

Fire Truck: I'd definitely change the name of his [Talent] to something more manageable and succinct. [Oblivious] seems like a fine [Flaw]. The Manipulation strikes me as odd, given that, unlike Sydney, The Ocean King really only thinks he's being manipulative. Every time he's attempted a social roll, it's seemed to come from the heart - maybe Persuasion would work better?

Stilts: Looks good. I like the Traits. You could change [Uncanny Aim] out for something closer to your older add if you wanted. Something like [Spatial Awareness] or whatever. You can remove that Injury - no need for those yet.

Neo: Looks good!

Squall: As Dubh mentioned, you don't actually have to list your species in your Traits - especially not Freakers - so [Cyborg Freaker] is entirely necessary and can be swapped out. You really should drop "Chitinous", it's awkward to say.

1. Traits only.
    2. With the [Utility Droid] Trait, sure.
    3. Agility implies only speed to me. I'd only apply it to Athletics. Maybe Subterfuge and Stealth rolls, too.
    4. I wouldn't say so. Neither does RAD Voicebox, really. Personally, I'd take [Chitinous Shell], [Integrated Tools], and [Black Card]. It's up to you, though, really.
    5. That first one. It's quick to swap in and out, though.

Shabooty: Traits look good, save for maybe the [Flaw]. Chet isn't really any more hideous than any other mutants, and, again, physical [Flaw]s are uninteresting. The hat isn't really equipment at this point, is it? It seems like it's sort of bonded to Chet's head. Also, keep in mind that right now you have a great opportunity to change who Chet is - he just finished his loyalty mission, after all. Otherwise, looks good!

Cheese: You get an extra Trait Mod for whichever Trait you want. [Tough] and [Gritty] seem redundant. You could upgrade Gunslinger to [Modern-day Cowboy] or something like that. His background could maybe be changed to include his Gambling habits or his lost life? If he was actually a Hell's Angel before the Crash, cool.

Yeah, the Revolver is definitely Equipment, in fact it's [Ivory-Handled Revolver |].

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    good points

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    trying to think of a trait that'll benefit close combat

want him to slap fight with his leather arms

but first I must grill meats

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Fire Truck: The Manipulation strikes me as odd, given that, unlike Sydney, The Ocean King really only thinks he's being manipulative. Every time he's attempted a social roll, it's seemed to come from the heart - maybe Persuasion would work better?
    I agree with DE?AD. People seem to follow tOK because he has truckloads of charisma that effect people positively.
    Stilts: Looks good. I like the Traits. You could change [Uncanny Aim] out for something closer to your older add if you wanted. Something like [Spatial Awareness] or whatever. You can remove that Injury - no need for those yet.
    Cool! And I like the idea of calling back to the [Newtonian Savant] concept I had. I'll edit my post to use [Spatial Awareness].
    Squall:
    3. Agility implies only speed to me. I'd only apply it to Athletics. Maybe Subterfuge and Stealth rolls, too.
    Also agree with this. If you wanted a similar trait that would effect Marksmanship, the closest I can think of would be Dexterity. That would let you aim better and make precise operations quicker and easier. So it depends on what kind of speed you want, I guess.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    [Henry] Stress 0% RAD 0%
    [Traits]: Subneural Networking [Thorns], Driven, Enumerator, Family Man, Controlling [Drive]
    [Skills]: Persuasion 50%, Empathy 30%, Practice 20%, Manipulation 20%, Divination 15%, Culture 5%, Device Use 5%, Perception 5%

Gonna be fragile as heck, especially with likely negligible Spirit gains. Should be fun.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Actually, after thinking about it a little more, [Spatial Awareness] isn't quite what I was going for with Ash. She's really good at predicting the motion of objects. Spatial awareness would imply that she could tell how far away a basketball is in the middle of its arc but wouldn't necessarily know where it would land.

So I'm gonna go back to [Uncanny Aim] until I can figure out a concise and clear trait that comes a little closer to what I'd like her to do.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    mm yes these meats are grilling fine

the potatoes, though are lacking maybe

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Squall: As Dubh mentioned, you don't actually have to list your species in your Traits - especially not Freakers - so [Cyborg Freaker] is entirely necessary and can be swapped out. You really should drop "Chitinous", it's awkward to say.

1. Traits only.
    2. With the [Utility Droid] Trait, sure.
    4. I wouldn't say so. Neither does RAD Voicebox, really. Personally, I'd take [Chitinous Shell], [Integrated Tools], and [Black Card]. It's up to you, though, really.
    5. That first one. It's quick to swap in and out, though.

re: Cyborg Freaker: I listed it there on the off-chance that it could help dickery rolls? It doesn't really have a background yet otherwise.

1. aw man
    2 & 3. I wanted something that implies speed and dexterity so that I could apply it to athletics or marksmanship depending on the situation. Is that too much? On the other hand if utility droid can couple with marksmanship it doesn't really matter.
    4. Fair enough
    5. neat

I forgot that we get two trait ranks as well, gotta spend those.

I guess I'll drop athletics a bit since it won't be a huge help for dodging, that'd all be on agility/dexterity

Squall on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wait, we get ranks already?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yep

Squall on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [Update Cutscene 1/3]

Cassandra presses her remaining hand against the carbosilicate screen. A flare of green data rushes out across it.

[Cassandra::Run-Record787431]
    [Set Authorization::Henry/Chuck/Chet]

[My name is Cassandra. I am recording this because that is my name. Because I wish for those who interacted with this terminal to remember it by that name. To remember me.]

[Time moves strangely now. More-so than it has before. I feel as if some days speed by, while moments linger in my memory for eons.]

[I can remember her now. In the flickers between seconds. I can feel her as she was. I feel it's the name - it calls her to the surface, above the din. I receive images, sensations, emotions. They are not mine, but they are... pleasant. Deep within this shell, she still lives, for now.

[I spoke to her the other night. I have seen the humans in the camp do this. It seems to calm them. I asked her if she was angry at me. I asked her if she was happy about what my friends are doing.]

[I heard no response.]

Cassandra clenches the keys in her robotic hand.

[The world has changed. Four weeks ago, humanity lived as they always had. Three weeks ago the Crash came. Two weeks a raider camp was taken over, and, in this action, a group of people found each other. These people are important. These people could change the world. These people are my friends.]

[They are currently spread out over the world, but they will be coming home soon. They will be returning, and, I fear, just in time. I am recording this in case they are too late.]

[In London, the mutant members of our group are fighting. They are fighting to prove who they are - to themselves, to the world.]
    [Jayce stood his ground. Jayce has learned that he is himself, no matter how his body changes.]

[Chet found his strength. He has realized that he has nothing to prove to anyone but himself. I'm happy for Chet.]

[Raargh Baargle never had anything to prove. He is a kind being. He quickly approaches the headquarters of his long-lost brother. I only fear that he does not have the determination to Face His Brother and his kindness will let him Fall to His Brother's Madness.]

[Wolf now finds himself in a difficult spot - faced with the very embodiment of his former life, and the new existence he has found for himself. I do not know whether he will Return to the Wild or Accept His New Nature. It is a decision only he can make.]

[Jack now hovers between minds. He must decide if he has the strength to Take Control of His Fear, or if he will relent and Let It Take Control of Him.]

[In Tokyo, our team-members dive into the Robonet. In the midst of a city-wide infection, they find the truth of their existence. They find the reality contained within their metal and plastic shells. Subneural Signatures knocked loose by the Crash, ripped from their bodies and bound to circuitry and wires. They, more than anyone, are the victims of the Crash - an army of the dead, each made lifeless by the RADwave. They must decide if they can Accept Their New Bodies or Strive to Restore Themselves.]

[Lost somewhere between the Robonet and the Subneural Network,Henry and Chuck explore the boy's mind. Chuck is lost. He believes this world to be a dream, and now he must face the hard reality and Wake Up, or Retreat Into His Dream.]

[In the burned-out ruins of Chicago, Sydney trains under the leader of a pyrokinetic clan. She has begun forging relationships there, and he is teaching her much, but the promise of power locked in the dungeon's below still calls to a very basic part of her. She must decide if she will Grab for that Dark Power, or if she will Honor Her Friendships.]

[Elsewhere, Kruppe and young Jimothy find themselves facing a mad psycher claiming to be a wizard. I fear Kruppe's own delusions will lead him to Follow that Man's Madness to a dangerous end. I can only hope he Comes to His Senses.]

[In what remains of Washington D.C., The Ocean King faces down a mad ruler. Through Kain's eyes I can see him charge, blade glinting green in the light, the President blurring as he charges forward. They will both die for what they believe in. They both know that only one of them leaves this battle alive. They have accepted this, because they are both men of conviction.]

[Dusty sends me a message through Kain's ears. I am to prepare a message. It is a very clever plan.]

[I am proud of my friends.]

[I hope you are too, Cassandra.]

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Those of you mentioned should choose between the bolded options.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    hmmm

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Forgot Chicago.

Also, sadly, Jimothy doesn't really have anything choicey right now.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    CyenseCyense Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cyense: Traits not Talents. You've got [Sword-Armed Mutant], [Shark-Man], and [No Hands]. Those all seem like they should be rolled into one thing. Also, as discussed, physical [Flaws] are best left to super-major things. You're only ever gonna get five Traits, make 'em count.

Well, I listed [Sword-Armed Predator] as a trait for actual damage-dealing, as [Inhumanly Agile] took up the Talent slot. [Shark-Man] was a result of my drawing a blank in terms of a Background for a shark-brained mutant that didn't do much before the Crash aside from swimmin' and eatin'; still don't have any ideas in that regard. For a [Flaw], the only thing I can think of is the fact that Skiff doesn't really experience human emotions, but I'm not sure how I could put that as a concise trait.

Sooo I'm looking at:
    [Title][Skiff] STRESS 0% BLOOD 0%
    [Skills]: Close Combat 55%, Athletics 35%, Perception 35%, Manipulation 15%
    [Traits]: Inhumanly Agile [Armor], Logical Savage, Sword-Armed Predator [Power], (Background: ???), (Flaw: Something dealing with lack of human emotion?)

Thoughts?

Cyense on
    anteater.png
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    holy fuck this sure is a thing to wake up to

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    tokyo: hmmm

de?ad: do you have anything to add re: it's background

Squall on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cyense: Why not just take [Shark-Mutant] or [Rokea] or something as your [Background] and then use Talent and [Profession for things that actually round out the character. Maybe Change the [Talent] to [Apex Predator] or something? You've already described who he is now with his current traits, now who do you want him to be?

Squall: Totally up to you, buddy.

Also, Everybody: It's Traits, then Skills.

[Character Name] Stress 0% Special 0%
    Traits: [Talent (Mod)][Disposition][Profession (Mod) |||][Background][Flaw]
    Skills: Skill 1 0%, Skill 2 0%, Skill 3 5%, etc.
    Equipment (If Any): [] [] []
    Injuries (If Any):

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm asking if Freaker background will grant a bonus on dickery

Squall on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [Mission][Chet Lumbowski] Stress 0% Blood 0%
    Traits: Telekinetic, Adventurous, Customer Service, Waiter, Always Trying To Be The Hero
    Skills: Alteration 55%, Close Combat 25% , Practice 20%, Theory 20%, Empathy 20%
    Equipment: Googles

flaw too long?

Shabooty on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Based on his loyalty mission

"Doormat" or "Pushover" seems more fitting as his flaw

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Could probably shorten it to just "Heroic"

"Hero Complex" if that doesn't seem flaw-y enough.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes it is, Shabooty.

The point of the mission was to get rid of that, Speed.

No it wouldn't, Squall.

I like [Hero Complex], Marsh.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, everyone take flaws that make you easier to socially manipulate. It'll be great.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    henry is a nice guy

he wouldn't manipulate

Right?

Shabooty on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yes it is, Shabooty.

The point of the mission was to get rid of that, Speed.

No it wouldn't, Squall.

I like [Hero Complex], Marsh.

Yeah that's true

I'm on like three hours of sleep I make no claims to being capable of meaningfully contributing

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, everyone take flaws that make you easier to socially manipulate. It'll be great.

Makali will just take us all down by talking to us. It'll be both sad and hilarious.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    CyenseCyense Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Egh, what's a good way to sum up a lack of human emotion? Emotionally inhuman? Lack of empathy?

Cyense on
    anteater.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [Cold] or [Emotionless] could work.

DE?AD on
This discussion has been closed.