As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

'Whomp!' June 6, 2011 "Heavy Petting"

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there some way to intermingle baby talk with stereotypical old codger talk?

Or maybe text giving a detailed analysis of the scene, the moments before the crime took place, probable motive, the weapon used, etc, followed by baby talk?

It worked in that commercial: (financial stuff) (spitting up) "Whoa..."

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think I'll go with TLB's suggestion.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    2011-05-02-Old-Baby.jpg

(be sure to refresh if it doesn't show up changed)

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    well shit
    that was super effective

Tam on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    2011-05-02-Old-Baby.jpg

(be sure to refresh if it doesn't show up changed)

:^:

Enc on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I definitely think the original poop version was better. It came accross more like an old man bladder problem sort of joke rather than a baby diaper joke. I laughed. The other one, it was more of a "heh"

ninjai on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I disagree; you could see the poop joke coming a mile off. This one has more layers.

tynic on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    What makes it work is the steely, cold gaze for five panels, then, gibberish.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh goodness that pillow comic is great.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd remove the first period from baby's answer. I think it works better if its one baby phrase instead of two (pacing wise)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    man my suggestion sure worked out great

I am the king of fixing comics

Now to make The Family Circus good

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not digging old baby. Old people and babies are not as dissimilar as they sound.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    tynic wrote: »
    I disagree; you could see the poop joke coming a mile off. This one has more layers.

And I saw this coming. Maybe its a personal thing, but I honestly thought while reading it, "The punchline better not be goo goo gah gah."

Also, conisdering the "Adventures of" title, it would seem to the layman that there were either previous, or succeeding comics on this topic. If all he can do is talk like a baby, the humor is lost. There is no punchline for future iterations, as humor is less funny the second time around. If he is capable of speaking he can SPEAK the punch line. no just goo ba boo bo bo.

I mean, has anyone seen Jack? Y'know the movie?

ninjai on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Guy: "What do you think, old baby?"

Old Baby: "Depends."

Enc on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ninjai wrote: »
    Also, conisdering the "Adventures of" title, it would seem to the layman that there were either previous, or succeeding comics on this topic. If all he can do is talk like a baby, the humor is lost.

This is exactly why it's funny.

In the next iteration the audience comes in with certain expectations. The lazy writer would change the scenario but deliver the same punchline, ad infinitum. The clever writer knows the audience comes in expecting the former and sets up the joke on the strength of that expectation, then delivers something completely unexpected that raises the steaks.

Examples I can give that spring to mind are some from Futurama.
    The episode where Bender turns into the Werecar and tends to chase Leela around more than Fry, which causes Fry to grow jealous for fear his Best Friend doesn't reciprocate. This is a running motif through out the episode where Fry gets increasingly more distraught the more Bender chases Leela. In the Third Act when Fry and Leela confront Bender as the Werecar, Bender peels out and aims right at Fry. In this moment the expectation the audience holds is that Fry will run away screaming his head off because the Werecar is after him, but instead, as Fry runs away he's elated and overjoyed because Bender is chasing him, thus, validating his friendship.

The entire Space Chicken Lawyer character is based on this principle.

The plot of "Alls well that Roswell" hinges on this idea: The crew go back in time and The Professor stresses they must not interfere with the timeline for fear of screwing all of everything up. Fry freaks out and decides to protect his Grandfather, thus ensuring he exists, then gets his Grandfather killed, then figures that must not have been his Grandfather since he wasn't erased from history, so that means this saucy 1940's waitress he just slept with couldn't possibly be his Grandmother, right?
    It was. He becomes his own grandfather.

"The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings" whole plot is built around this concept, and that episode even has a subplot emphasising this by having Bender calling people out on the misuse of the concept of Irony.

This dialogue:

Leonard Nimoy: Melllvar, you have to respect your actors. When I directed Star Trek IV, I got a magnificent performance out of Bill because I respected him so much.
    William Shatner: And when I directed Star Trek V, I got a magnificent performance out of me because I respected me so much.

Bender: Oh, but you can. But you may have to metaphorically make a deal with the devil. And by "devil", I mean Robot Devil. And by "metaphorically", I mean get your coat.

These two are an especially clear example of what I mean, particularly the raising of the steaks.
    Fry: Fetal stem cells? Aren't those controversial?
    Professor Farnsworth: In your time, yes, but nowadays—shut up! Besides, these are adult stem cells, harvested from perfectly healthy adults whom I killed for their stem cells.

Al Gore: My fellow Earthicans, as I discuss in my book "Earth in the Balance," and the much more popular "Harry Potter and the Balance of Earth," we need to defend our planet against pollution. As well as dark wizards.
    Dark Wizard in the Audience: Sure, blame the wizards!

It's knowing your audiences is expecting the punchline, then delivering a completely unexpected punchline (sometimes consecutively), raising the steaks of the initial joke. When it's the same joke each time, then it's just the same joke each time, regardless of the content. The key is in raising the steaks.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I love futurama. And I know precicely what you mean by diversionary humor. (Fletcher is really great at that) like in the episode of Futurama where they're trying to pickle a tornado and the Doc says "This cattle prod will help."
    Lela: How will that help?
    Doc: GHZTT GET TO WORK!

Goooood stuff.

But thats why I thought the original was so funny, because A) I was expecting the gah gah punchline, and B) I took it as old person with bladder problems, not baby/diaper joke.

In the end I think my preference is an isolated incident. The strip was good either way, but I just didn't laugh out loud at the second version.

ninjai on
  • Options
    NanakiNanaki Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No I agree with you Ninjai. I liked it better the first way, but I feel like this is a debate that will go down in history.

The reason I liked it was because I was expecting him to say something clever and solve the crime. But instead of acting as adult as he looked, the only thing he was able to say was something very childish. The fact that he was still able to talk, but wasn't mature enough to say anything intelligent was funny to me.

I think the reason there's such strong optinions either way is because everyone's different. Some people expected him to say 'goo goo ga ga' while others expected a poop joke, and it's only funny to the individual if the punch line was unexpected to them. (If that make's sense.)

Whichever ending you choose though Ronnie, I'm don't think anyone's going to hate you. Especially me <3

Nanaki on
    Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man!"
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    By the way, I'm still here. I'm just watching with amazement as this discussion unfolds. Haha.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    New Whomp, but I doubt it'll incur such a heated discussion!

2011-05-04-I-Mean-You-No-Harem.jpg

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wonderful!

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so flippin cute. those cats are adorable.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    T.Hanks you two!

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    T.Hanks you two!
    48d1937862f3a4c5ab3bbc2012f451c1.jpg

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I feel like i'm a little late to the baby/old baby discussion but i'll throw in my two cents. I saw the poop joke coming from very far away because its been a long standing joke that old people are just babies that can talk.

The baby not knowing english made me laugh because its not an expected joke from the set up.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited May 2011
    epv2.jpg

Away with your weapon... I mean you know harem.

Excellent comic btw

You should put it on the internet.

ninjai on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I liked the poop joke more, because I'm immature and laugh at ALL poop jokes. However, I do like the revised version. And the latest comic is adorable!

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    At the risk of perpetuating this "shitty" conversation (get it? HUH HUH HUH!?)

This is why I thought the poop version was funny.

And I'm not going to lie.

Super
    Super
    Super motherfuckin spoilers

Watch at your own risk. P.S.

Please, I'm begging you, if you are a venture brothers fan or not, if you have any dignity at all... don't watch this if you ever plan on watching season 4 at any point in the future.

For the love of God.
    Just... be careful. You've been warned.

edit: Goddamn it they bleep this version. Oh well. Still, spoilerz.

ninjai on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love that last comic. The cats have a sort of Watterson feel. And that's a good thing!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thank you :)

Also, did not read spoilers, Ninjai. I plan on watching 4th season at some point. I can't remember if I've seen season 3 yet. But I may as well start from the beginning.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Edit: Mully told me to make sure to tell you this is a 100% true account

2011-05-09-AKA-Sorriesgiving.jpg

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    muy exellente

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    lazies.jpg

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this is pretty great.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks Arden (and EWA from the one before!)

Edcrab gave me the initial idea for this comic.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I feel like the punchline might be sold better if the final bubble was lower and more to the right of the frame. It would add some delay to the timing of the punchline and be that just little bit more effective imo.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to keep it how it is, because the reader's eye typically hates searching the lower right quadrant of a panel for the text bubble. It's usually more attractive and easier to digest in the top half of the panel, at the very least.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    actually, I think it'd be funnier if there was no text bubble in the fifth panel

or just one that says "..."

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to keep it how it is, because the reader's eye typically hates searching the lower right quadrant of a panel for the text bubble. It's usually more attractive and easier to digest in the top half of the panel, at the very least.

you don't have to move it much to make the impact i'm thinking about.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I moved the bubble closer to Ronnie.

2011-05-11-Pushing-Up-Lazies.jpg

I kind of felt the laughter was part of the joke. Ronnie's enjoying this, and he scoffs verbally at M Dudes unreasonable demands.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I guess i kinda saw it as a joke a bit like Phil Ken Sebben with a big HAHA (pause) punchline. Where the pause is almost as important as the set up and final line.

edit: I should say that, personally i like the edit better. Its a subtle difference, but I think it adds to the final product :)

Nappuccino on