As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tears of a [chat]ter

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Seems like a strange team fortress rip off. But I don't have an x-box so I want be playing.

Eh, not really. I mean, when you get right down to it TF2 is actually a pretty generic game but this game differs quite heavily.

Each class is incredibly more self-sufficient for one. I mean, the sniper in this game can set up freezing traps that lock people in place while he head shots them or throw down an area of effect damage over time grenade to cover his escapes or can straight up grapple people and hurl them out of the arena.

I don't know if you could make a class based shooter that someone wouldn't claim as being a TF2 rip-off, and while this game certainly has learned some lessons from TF2 I wouldn't call it a rip off. The heavy machinegunner class in this game doesn't have tons of life, the tons of life character in this game is actually the one with the flamethrower style weapon etc.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Yeah. If you can't do that I ain't getting it. :( Sorry.

A high paced game like that I need to be able to, you know, aim.

Nah, I totally understand man. If a fighting game came out that I had to play with the stick in my right and the buttons on my left I wouldn't play it either.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    starcraft 2's website has wallpapers made for dual screen situations which is awesome as hell. I had to chop up wow concept art with the cata logo myself which was worth it but a process (the art wasn't wallpaper size though it was high quality). diablo 3 at least has a greater variety of wallpapers but I will have to stitch them together. easier for sure but I'm surprised they only did it for one game.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I should boot up sc2 tonight since I haven't played in two days, but I am loading up my ps3 not sure what I will play since I beat Force Unleashed I really don't have anything I haven't beat yet. I might just play some original blaz blue.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    should i go ahead and play SC2's campaign or should i give Fable 2 another try

You're a Dark Spire survivor, right? How the heck do I get to 3F?

i um

don't really know what this means

I recall you played the game at one point, or maybe that was another mod.

i did, but kind of stalled out after i got the ability to buy buildings and charge rent, kind of early in the game

basically i spent a few days just logging in and buying property

and then kind of lost interest

Uh... You know I'm talking about a dungeon crawler, right?

oh yeah that one

i loved that game when i was in greenland. i might have even finished it!

it was a p good game. there's something about those old wizardry-style crawlers that really get me

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Big-O for having such a silly premise actually was surprisingly good.

I still don't think I understand what the fuck was going on in that show.

But yeah, skyscraper robots banging on eachother was all kinds of entertaining.

Batman + Gundam.

You forgot the undertones of robosexuality.

Oh yeah.

All about the android chick.

She was pretty badass.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey Will, do you know if the Apple store carries display adapters? Like the mini-DP to VGA adapter?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey Mike, it looks like they do not have south paw at the moment but in a thread on the game's official forums the developers have recognized the demand for both southpaw and legacy controls.

So, I guess I'll keep you posted if they ever change it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Inqi, it isn't a rip off but Team Fortress, which you have to remember I think of it from like Quake then TFC on Half Life 1 since I have been playing it for ages is one of the more original games when it first game out. Though you can say Tribes 1 if I remember correctly was actually one of the first.

No it just reminds me in style of tf2, doesn't have be exactly the same to be like Team Fortress.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Seems like a strange team fortress rip off. But I don't have an x-box so I want be playing.

Eh, not really. I mean, when you get right down to it TF2 is actually a pretty generic game but this game differs quite heavily.

Each class is incredibly more self-sufficient for one. I mean, the sniper in this game can set up freezing traps that lock people in place while he head shots them or throw down an area of effect damage over time grenade to cover his escapes or can straight up grapple people and hurl them out of the arena.

I don't know if you could make a class based shooter that someone wouldn't claim as being a TF2 rip-off, and while this game certainly has learned some lessons from TF2 I wouldn't call it a rip off. The heavy machinegunner class in this game doesn't have tons of life, the tons of life character in this game is actually the one with the flamethrower style weapon etc.

I'd say the art style and the "Meet The (Class)" videos are the most obvious borrowings from TF2.

Not that it's inherently a bad thing, I'd sooner have a multiplayer game borrow TF2's art style than Modern Warfare 2's.

That said, I'm not inspired to buy that game, a Live sub, and plug my 360 controller back into my 360.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    TF2 ripped off NOLF.

It's ripoffs all the way down.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I'm just happy to see games with actual personality over "generic brown shooter 12"

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey Mike, it looks like they do not have south paw at the moment but in a thread on the game's official forums the developers have recognized the demand for both southpaw and legacy controls.

So, I guess I'll keep you posted if they ever change it.
    Hey, I appreciate that. Thanks 8-)

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Hey Will, do you know if the Apple store carries display adapters? Like the mini-DP to VGA adapter?

i don't know

it seems like they should, but i've been kind of surprised at times wrt their lack of support products

probably varies store to store

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    TF2 ripped off NOLF.

It's ripoffs all the way down.

I've just this second realised why the engineer looks the way that he does.

japan on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

i don't know

it seems like they should, but i've been kind of surprised at times wrt their lack of support products

probably varies store to store

Well I'll try anyhow. I just realized it would be cool to dual-screen it up with the MBP and my 20" monitor.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I never played NOLF, the games always looked kinda...dorky...?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, TF2's are does remind me of NOLF. Now that I think about it. But the character designs are pretty similar to TFC. But with more character and less looking like barney from Blue Shift.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I never played NOLF, the games always looked kinda...dorky...?

Kinda like TF2 HEYYOOOOO

Anyway, I just got reminded of that awesome fight in NOLF. In a trailer park. Against ninjas. During a tornado.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODeEuPokFRk

Echo on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fuck, tried to find out what was wrong with my scooters headlights, only to find that there is a hole on the protective cover on my engine. Goddammit.

Cinders on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sigh, at least it's a cheap bike so parts should be extremely cheap.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, TF2's are does remind me of NOLF. Now that I think about it. But the character designs are pretty similar to TFC. But with more character and less looking like barney from Blue Shift.

Uh, TFC didn't really have character designs did it? I mean...it more just had really creepy bad looking models, you differentiate mostly by the weapon if I recall.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It did, just they were all scary Barney's.

Team_Fortress_Classic_original_mode.jpg

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Team_Fortress_classic_01.jpg

Postin' an image that works.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wrinkled Clothes Fortress.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh hey, Flight of the Amazon Queen is freeware, how did I never notice this before?

I know what I'm doing with my evening.

japan on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man NOLF was awesome.

Monolith needs to go back to some of its older games instead of making yet another F.E.A.R. game. I bet in Fear 3 I will hit slow motion and shoot soldiers in an office, and then some weird thing will jump at me in a dark hallway.

They need to make a Condemned 3, or just say fuck it and go back to NOLF or SHOGO

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I saw the Tube impending smackdown.

What the hell have you homps been doing while I was in jail for the past month?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I want to play NOLF. Anywhere I can legally download it?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder how many of the characters in Assassin's Creed 2 are based on real people?

WMain00 on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ugh. I don't enter the actual debate threads on this forum very often. Mostly, I come here for the [chat] thread and on-topic threads about my favorite TV shows and movies.

Part of the reason why is because when I try to be brief in my argument and make a quick, clear point, I end up getting into arguments where I'm not actually arguing with a counter-point someone else is making, I'm having to repeat and clarify and expand upon the shit I've already said.

So sometimes I try, instead, to be comprehensive and complete and clear. People criticize me for my writing style, the free use of line breaks and lack of punctuation and shit. Some people say that's part of what gives my post a hostile or "talking down" air. So, sometimes I try to change that.

I write a complete, comprehensive post on a subject where I explain my thoughts in detail, and nobody responds to it. Nobody even TL;DR's that shit, they just move past it and don't even acknowledge I said a good god damn thing. Moreover, they continue on discussing issues I just addressed as if I had actually said nothing at all.

Frustrating. Is it any wonder I shit on this forum's purpose as a place for debate?

Pony on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    Ugh. I don't enter the actual debate threads on this forum very often. Mostly, I come here for the [chat] thread and on-topic threads about my favorite TV shows and movies.

Part of the reason why is because when I try to be brief in my argument and make a quick, clear point, I end up getting into arguments where I'm not actually arguing with a counter-point someone else is making, I'm having to repeat and clarify and expand upon the shit I've already said.

So sometimes I try, instead, to be comprehensive and complete and clear. People criticize me for my writing style, the free use of line breaks and lack of punctuation and shit. Some people say that's part of what gives my post a hostile or "talking down" air. So, sometimes I try to change that.

I write a complete, comprehensive post on a subject where I explain my thoughts in detail, and nobody responds to it. Nobody even TL;DR's that shit, they just move past it and don't even acknowledge I said a good god damn thing. Moreover, they continue on discussing issues I just addressed as if I had actually said nothing at all.

Frustrating. Is it any wonder I shit on this forum's purpose as a place for debate?
    Do you do anything other than meta-comment on how bad D&D is while continuing to post here? Because I'm starting to doubt it.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

The sports threads are nice!

Picardathon on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

If your post is longer than a medium sized paragraph, you need to consider posting only one thought or idea at a time.

I very much doubt that any of the wall of text posts that get ignored really contain just one, or even a few ideas. They usually contain all of a person's ideas on the subject, or in some cases an entire dissertation.

I generally won't read anything that long because there's such a huge chance that it's garbage anyway. The signal to noise ratio on this (and every other internet forum) is pretty fucking bad.

I wouldn't have a conversation with a person who expected me to listen to them talk for 5-10 minutes before I got a word in myself, so I don't understand why I should read the same amount from a person before I respond.

These threads are conversational, you aren't supposed to be giving a lecture and you should keep in mind that your audience isn't wanting to receive one.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Do you do anything other than meta-comment on how bad D&D is while continuing to post here? Because I'm starting to doubt it.

Sometimes, I make substantive posts in popular debate threads relevant to the topic at hand!

Then people ignore them, and I'm like :?

Then I complain about that, and it gets attention?

Psy-y-y-y-yduuuuuuck

Pony on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Do you do anything besides stroke your luxurious dong with a leather glove lined with fur while squatting over a bowl of Jergens moisturizer and dipping your balls in it? I'm starting to doubt it.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Sorry, I read most of your post on PTSD and I liked it. I didn't know what to say really. I didn't want to quote it, because it was huge, but I didn't want to snip it.

Honestly, I take it as a triumph sometimes if someone doesn't respond to a post like that. It means that you were right and they have nothing to say in response.

So...sorry for the lack of support there. It was a good post and I agreed with it fully.

While I do occasionally see that from Pony, I think his gripe is legitimate this time.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Do you do anything besides stroke your luxurious dong with a leather glove lined with fur while squatting over a bowl of Jergens moisturizer and dipping your balls in it? I'm starting to doubt it.

Bzzt, that's my job. On a magic carpet.

I almost forgot, Cass. Mike asked me to ask you to butcher A Whole New World for him. Last night he mentioned something about wanting his image of the song tarnished via terrible parody. Can you help us out?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.