Options

Go Go Gadget [Chat]

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    is mafia II ultra-serious and gritty and realistic?

because if so

no thanks bro

From what I have seen it is like Goodfellas: the vidjagame

and that is something I can see myself enjoying greatly

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Ryadic wrote: »
    i hate GTA IV with a glowing passion

basically i am not interested in serious or gritty crime games

no thanks, that is anti-appealing to me

saints row 2 is bright and ridiculous and insane and has no melodrama

i am okay with this

GTA IV is serious?

Since when?

Since it came out?

It really isn't very serious.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i played the first metroid at my cousin's house because he had a nintendo and i did not

and never played another one i don't think

the stories always seemed p much like nonsense

i don't really understand why people are attached to them

there is no story in metroid beyond "samus lands on a planet, wrecks everyone's shit, leaves"

the prime series introduced a recurring foe and detailed the mythology, but the story was still very bare-bones

and while the other m is trying to go plot-heavy, it's by team ninja, so i expect the story there to be pretty dismal

it's just always been a great, atmospheric series of games that are fun to play, is all

that's what i thought!

it's impossible to gauge the depth and merits of something by the fans, because no matter how bare-bones the story or "universe" of something is, along will come fan-fiction and fan-art and fan-speculation and shit to fill it in with whatever they want it to be

so i honestly don't know what to make of this serious-looking metroid game

like i said

team ninja

apparently they've tried to chick up samus as much as possible, which really pisses a lot of people off, and i'm not too pleased with it either

samus was always an extremely minimalist character with juuust enough hints at a "feminine" nature to qualify as a female video game character, namely her interaction with the baby metroid in the game boy metroid game and super metroid

so making her drone on and on about babies and motherhood kind of sabotages that

Running around in a skirt, ending in a bikini in one wasn't "feminine" o_O Granted I haven't played the GC ones.

go away, you

that was an easter egg put in there because gamers are the most predictable people on the planet

Rust on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I want a large parrot. I want something that can outlive me and annoy my grandchildren as I force them to take care of the pet as part of a trust I set up for it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    basically the story of GTA IV is

burned out ex-soldier and ex-criminal comes to America, is lied to and cheated by his useless family and even more useless "allies", makes zero attempt to escape the life, has nothing but bad shit happen to him, his life sucks, no matter what you do things are terrible

the end

yeah no thank you

Pony on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just finished GTA IV... like two days ago. I loved it. Sure it has it's problems, but all games do. There is no game that is perfect on every single level.

But there was nothing serious about it to me. It introduced this world, drops you in it, and you get immersed. Characters in this game are much more vibrant than previous games.

It's more serious, realistic, and gritty than it's prior iterations, but a game where you can run into buildings, knock over lightpoles, and run people over and over is not a game I think is serious.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    see

a really, really big chested black girl from brooklyn just OKC messaged me to let me know that she, too, loves the picture of dorian gray

you hear that, SiG?

don't need you

:l

oscar wilde is a lot of fun

frankie watched the newish picture of dorian grey movie on the tv the other day

i didn't watch it but the little bit i saw did not look real good

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Which Mountain Goats album should I get

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

because if so

no thanks bro

ew gross i will pass then

Pony on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Motherfucking Comedy Central. Stop playing the Mafia II commercial constantly. Last night they played it twice in a row! For a total of five times in under 30 minutes! I can't get that fucking song out of my head!!

Incidentally, I was just messaged that I'll be receiving the 360 version for review. It better be good.

I hear it's bad.

I played the demo... It was bad.

... what?

You heard me!

It.

Was.

BAD!

... no it wasn't, it was good. I enjoyed it greatly

I didn't. Then again, if I want to play GTA I'd just play GTA. Or RDR.

What do you do if you want to play a crime game that doesn't have Rockstar's trademark nihilism

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited August 2010

burned out ex-soldier and ex-criminal comes to America, is lied to and cheated by his useless family and even more useless "allies", makes zero attempt to escape the life, has nothing but bad shit happen to him, his life sucks, no matter what you do things are terrible

the end

yeah no thank you

If you look at it with this piss poor attitude, it's a wonder you like anything.

And everything you described here is in the game in a satirical matter. It's not serious.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    see

a really, really big chested black girl from brooklyn just OKC messaged me to let me know that she, too, loves the picture of dorian gray

you hear that, SiG?

don't need you

she's really unpretty, will

what use is my affection for oscar wilde if it only ensnares women who i don't want to be inside of

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

because if so

no thanks bro

ew gross i will pass then

Yeah.

It's Not For Pony

this is not the same as Bad, though

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JosephGordonlevitt.jpg

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

the end

yeah no thank you

If you look at it with this piss poor attitude, it's a wonder you like anything.

And everything you described here is in the game in a satirical matter. It's not serious.

no it isn't and you are incorrect

niko is a mopey, pissy, mentally traumatized wreck living a hard knock life among giant-toothed juicers and flamboyant gay ex-military

the game did not know what the fuck it wanted to be

Rust on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Samus to me is a bad ass with a gun who actually is a girl. Which I think is why any of my backgrounds are her in the armor. At most with the helmet off.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

the end

yeah no thank you

Like almost every character you meet in that game is utterly ridiculous bordering on caricature. Even the more serious ones like the Irish guys are pretty silly. I can see the argument that the meat of the story is pretty dark and depressing, but it's like dressing a motorcycle thug in a tutu. It can't help but be laughable.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    JGL!

What up!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Motherfucking Comedy Central. Stop playing the Mafia II commercial constantly. Last night they played it twice in a row! For a total of five times in under 30 minutes! I can't get that fucking song out of my head!!

Incidentally, I was just messaged that I'll be receiving the 360 version for review. It better be good.

I hear it's bad.

I played the demo... It was bad.

... what?

You heard me!

It.

Was.

BAD!

... no it wasn't, it was good. I enjoyed it greatly

I didn't. Then again, if I want to play GTA I'd just play GTA. Or RDR.

What do you do if you want to play a crime game that doesn't have Rockstar's trademark nihilism

People seem to like Saint's Row. I've not played it so no comment from me.

I don't play a lot of games in this genre, so the few I do have to be of a certain type for me. GTA is the only one that has hit that level of satisfaction for me. RDR did the same thing, but in a western feel.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Rust, have you seen the new Homestuck album?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Where's DOTS to advise me on the Mountain Goats

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    I just finished GTA IV... like two days ago. I loved it. Sure it has it's problems, but all games do. There is no game that is perfect on every single level.

But there was nothing serious about it to me. It introduced this world, drops you in it, and you get immersed. Characters in this game are much more vibrant than previous games.

It's more serious, realistic, and gritty than it's prior iterations, but a game where you can run into buildings, knock over lightpoles, and run people over and over is not a game I think is serious.

i kind of admired it relative to their previous offerings

i guess because i'm really jonesing for actual adult-calibre drama from a videogame to start existing

and GTA4 seemed like a respectable stab at it

but i just find Rockstar's sense of humor puerile and offputting and couldn't take it after a while

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

the end

yeah no thank you

you know satire of things i don't like runs the risk of being indistinguishable from the things i don't like

for example, Order of the Stick is a webcomic that satirizes the absurdity of dungeons & dragons and the ridiculous behavior of players and their characters

yet because i actually find the things they're satirizing to be incredibly infuriating, i don't actually derive a great deal of humor from being reminded of them!

satire is delicate in this way

if GTA IV is at all satirical of melodramatic crime stories and shit like that, it's on the bad side of that line for me

the side that just makes me go "I hate this shit, why am I playing this?"

coupled with the god-awful gameplay and you got a game i got the mad hates for

Pony on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    remember brucie, the steroided guy

was that gta or saints row

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

not yet, will give it a peek over the weekend maybe

Rust on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    OremLK wrote: »

the end

yeah no thank you

Like almost every character you meet in that game is utterly ridiculous bordering on caricature. Even the more serious ones like the Irish guys are pretty silly. I can see the argument that the meat of the story is pretty dark and depressing, but it's like dressing a motorcycle thug in a tutu. It can't help but be laughable.

Finally. Someone that gets it.

Orem, you and I are on the same level.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

GTA4. He was fucking hilarious and awesome.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

GTA

Rust on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »

they seem pretty crazy prolific

I haven't listened to it yet, but I hear a lot of great things about their latest album, 'Life of the World to Come'

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought GTA IV's plot was serious while the entire atmosphere of pretty much everything else around you was still a little silly like the previous games.

It kind of clashed at times, but I still liked it.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

not yet, will give it a peek over the weekend maybe

it's pretty great, have you seen the title?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I fucking love who's line.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

probably tallahassee

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

they seem pretty crazy prolific

I haven't listened to it yet, but I hear a lot of great things about their latest album, 'Life of the World to Come'

tallahassee and get lonely are also pretty good, but i'd recommend tallahassee first

get lonely is a lot more low-key

Rust on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    what's up, duders?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I loved RDR, did not like GTA, liked SR2.

I dunno what that makes me, but that's where I stand

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    OremLK wrote: »

the end

yeah no thank you

you know it's a lot less funny when it reminds you of your life and people you know, putting an over the top spin on it all doesn't lessen the fact that you don't like revisiting that stuff even when it's "satire"

Pony on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    sick for days

so many ways, i'm achin now

i'm achin now

MikeMan on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    but i just find Rockstar's sense of humor puerile and offputting and couldn't take it after a while

That, I think, is a very fair criticism. In fact, I think their writers really have trouble with restraint in general. I'm reminded of a mission in RDR where you are required to
    Help a corrupt Mexican general burn down a town, kill all the men within it, and kidnap all the women to be raped repeatedly

And I'm like, this doesn't fit with the "redemption" thing at all. In fact, I don't want to be doing this. Why is Marston doing this? Wouldn't he draw the line somewhere?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    see

you hear that, SiG?

don't need you

she's really unpretty, will

what use is my affection for oscar wilde if it only ensnares women who i don't want to be inside of

maybe someone fucked up her secret portrait chu

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.