As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest: A Wild DQ XI has appeared...on 3DS and PS4...and NX?!?

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Which one is supposed to impress me? Because I like the one marked 2001 better.

It's so damn ugly. I still remember my disappointment when it came out, because IMO, it looked worse than DQ6.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I think it looks fantastic on 3DS

Not as good as DQVIII, but I mean, it came out nearly three years before it so I'll cut it some slack

Definitely better than the DS ones though

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    DQVII in one week bruvs.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    DQVII in one week bruvs.

Preordered, sadly have to wait for it to come out to get the theme, which I'd prefer to apply RITE NAO!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I need dis. It's the only DQ game (apart from X) that I haven't played, and I need a DQ fix real bad. I recently finished a run of DQIV on my phone (my favourite) and I need something new.

Also, since I played the hell out of Dragon Quest Heroes, and there was some music I didn't recognize, so it should be nice to hear that song on endless grind. ;)

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Yeah, the fact that I haven't played VII before has me all amped up. Can't wait to lose some time to it.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've had DQVII preordered for like a year on Amazon. And I'm definitely excited. But I'm also a bit distracted right now by Pokemon hype and I don't know if I'll be able to keep my interest level up right now. Literally all I want to do is play Pokemon.

• Options
    I know I'm likely in the minority for caring about this, but I really wish DQVII and DQVIII on at least the N3DS would fully support the 3D feature. I'm obviously getting them both anyhow, and I think I heard VII has it, but not including it in VIII makes me slightly less excited.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Well, VIII kinda does, in the most pointless way, at least in the Japanese version. On the status screen, the character model and info windows will pop out from the background with 3D on, but they didn't bother with shifting the model's viewing angles for the left and right eyes, resulting in it looking like a cardboard cutout.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    VII being delivered Friday, planning on going in completely blind as I like to do with DQ games.

This is mostly due to nostalgia, as my first experience with an RPG as a kid(not counting Zelda) was with Dragon Warrior 1. I recall spending hours grinding on slimes until I was at a point where I was confident I could take on anything else I felt like fighting.

And then I met my first Wyvern.

"Welcome to Dragon Warrior, you eight year old shit." - NES

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The first three aren't on the eshop in any form are they? That's a shame, I'd literally have the entire collection of DQ games(mmo aside) accessible on my 3DS. That would be just peachy.

• Options
    So, am I really just 2 hours away from playing DQVII with my preorder, or do I not quite understand 3DS releases? The stupid countdown thingum says "1 day"...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    It comes out on Friday. So I guess if somehow by the miracle of time zones it is already Friday for you, then yeah, you could probably be playing it soon. I still have to experience all of Thursday.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    So, am I really just 2 hours away from playing DQVII with my preorder, or do I not quite understand 3DS releases? The stupid countdown thingum says "1 day"...
    It'll say that until there's less than 24 hours until the unlock, then it'll say "X hours" until there's less than 60 minutes.

• Options
    It'll say that until there's less than 24 hours until the unlock, then it'll say "X hours" until there's less than 60 minutes.

I now has a sad... But, thanks for the info, guys!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Looks like UPS is delivering it for me today.

Oh noes, muh street dates

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Looks like UPS is delivering it for me today.

Oh noes, muh street dates

I feel like a kid waiting for my Nintendo Power to be delivered back in the day. UPS site just says "by end of day" :(

• Options
    So my Amazon order hasn't even shipped yet. My estimated delivery date is next Tuesday. What the fuck. I've got Amazon Prime and had release day delivery selected.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So my Amazon order hasn't even shipped yet. My estimated delivery date is next Tuesday. What the fuck. I've got Amazon Prime and had release day delivery selected.

Email them and bitch. They pull that shit a lot.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Mine has been in "Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item" status since yesterday.

I don't even know what that means. After they lost my Fire Emblem Fates preorder, I don't know why I even bother with this so-called Amazon Prime release day receiving.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Amazon can do all sorts of weird things with my orders because LA is one of their same day shipping hubs. I never know when my orders are actually going to ship out, but somehow they still arrive by 8pm on their due date.

This has been a really rough week for me emotionally, for some reason, so I'm looking forward to sitting down with my video game comfort food for the weekend.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Amazon can do all sorts of weird things with my orders because LA is one of their same day shipping hubs. I never know when my orders are actually going to ship out, but somehow they still arrive by 8pm on their due date.

This has been a really rough week for me emotionally, for some reason, so I'm looking forward to sitting down with my video game comfort food for the weekend.

This is how I feel when I play any Dragon Quest game, too. For some reason, I'm looking forward to this one with such anticipation, and I'll always think back to when I was 9 playing a friend's Dragon Warrior for the first time and remember how magical and awesome the game was.

Yet, I can look at other games, like FFXV, and I'm excited to play it, but I don't get the same child-like feeling like I do when I sit down to play anything DQ. In fact, the only other game that makes me feel that way is Final Fantasy IV.

I think it's has a lot to do with the theme and setting. Final Fantasy has been happy to push forward with technological elements in their stories to ever-increasing degrees, while Dragon Quest has introduced them a bit, but never takes it very far. The train in DQIX is the closest I can come up with, but the games largely retain a fantasy/medieval setting that just really appeals to me.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    I know DQVII is not a new game. Not by a long shot. But it's new to me because I never owned a PSOne, and they never put DQVII on the PS3 digital store as a PSOne Classic.

So this is an all new gaming experience for me.

I emailed Amazon to gripe about them not shipping my product. They say I will hear back within 12-24 hours. By the time my complaint makes it to a human for a response, it will be too late for them to do anything about it.

Also, I just looked at my preorder date. January 24 was when I preordered this. This is not the first time that I've gotten screwed on a preorder that was done WAY in advance. I think they must have an issue in their system when release dates are changed and going from their normal 2-day delivery to release-day delivery. Something in the system isn't getting auto switched on super old orders.

• Options

I now has a sad... But, thanks for the info, guys!

Say, Friday is tomorrow, and I know that at least for Xenoblade Chronicles when it was released it actually unlocked at 9pm PT on the day before release, meaning it became available at midnight on the release day. However, that should be 5.5 hours from right now, and it's still saying "1 day". Do we know what time it should be available for those that preordered the digital version? I am very hyped for this, as you can tell I'm sure, have a minor medical issue that's keeping me working from home on a recliner and I'm itching for a fresh distraction.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Midnight digital releases usually depend on the publisher.

That said, I was dicking around in the store earlier, and the first thing you see is "Dragon Quest VII: Buy it here at midnight!". And "midnight" according to the eshop is usually 12EST/9PST. So there you go.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Midnight digital releases usually depend on the publisher.

That said, I was dicking around in the store earlier, and the first thing you see is "Dragon Quest VII: Buy it here at midnight!". And "midnight" according to the eshop is usually 12EST/9PST. So there you go.

Wewt!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I never finished the PS1 Dragon Quest VII. I have two copies of it.

This new release will probably drop their value.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I never finished the PS1 Dragon Quest VII. I have two copies of it.

This new release will probably drop their value.

Eh, probably not by much, but also it's not exactly too expensive either

I picked up a copy about six months ago for $40

• Options
    Okay that one got me. Main character starts in a fishing village, all of the villagers are as you'd expect villagers to be. The older ladies(mom included) are all the heavy set eastern european types, the fishermen all look like salty dog sailors with beer guts and muscular arms.

And then there's your dad... greek god!

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    He's no Papas, but then...who is?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    It's here :D

• Options
    I am pretty sure they upped the amount of money enemies drop. I don't remember ever having over 1000 gold by the end of the first island before. Definitely not complaining, though. Shit gets pricey fast in this game.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    It's not often that a character really gets on my nerves in such a short order, but Maribel is really doing a good job of it.

• Options
    Maribel is awesome, though.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Going into this completely blind, a little over an hour and a half into this, have not yet seen an enemy. Opening every cabinet, breaking every jar, talking to every person. This one's gonna take some time, isn't it? *squee*

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    My older brother played DQVII ages ago when it was new, but I think he gave up partway through probably because it was a million hours long. There's a thing that I think he told me about but I was like twelve, who knows what I am actually remembering.
    At one point a monster is living in, like a temple or a church or something, and the villagers are trying to get rid of it. Someone proposes setting the building on fire, but the villagers are lazy and think that maybe if they just stand around and yell 'fire' the monster will be be dumb enough to fall for it. And then it does!

Anyway I still think it's funny and I am curious if it actually happened. (I could look it up but that takes away the magic)

Also I can't believe this came out two months before FFX. Jesus it's like night and day. (Japan got DQ earlier than we did but still look at those games and realize they were less than a year apart)

• Options
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Also I can't believe this came out two months before FFX. Jesus it's like night and day. (Japan got DQ earlier than we did but still look at those games and realize they were less than a year apart)

It was supposed to be an early playstation game, but delays upon delays made it end up a pretty late one. DQVII is pretty much the only one that didn't look pretty good for when it came out.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    DQ is another series of games of tend to collect, but not finish.

Builders looks mighty good. I wonder if it will have a climactic endgame.

I wish be had big game franchises like DQ and FF in the U.S.

We do have it with Madden and Call of Duty, but I don't see those as real games. They are more like simulations.

The newer Call of Duty leans more on the fantasy.

Krathoon on