As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who's Going To Pax East 2011??? And Opinions On The BCEC/Hotel

• Options
    Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rayze wrote: »
    PAX East once again falls on my birthday - couldn't ask for a better party :lol: I'll be there!

PAX East 2010 was held on March 26-28 and in 2011 it'll supposedly be held March 11-13

?

Ooooh, I see what they did now - checking the main site, the timer's counting UP from the last PAX East, meaning they also probably haven't changed the dates yet.

If it's really the 11th-13th, then I'll have to withdraw my attendance announcement :( Can anyone confirm?

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • Options
    ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pax East was my first Gaming Con, Let alone Con. I will Definitely be there!

I got financially screwed out of going to Prime (Another apology to the people I initially had in my room share ~_~), but seeing as I don't need to fly to Boston (Though I go to school in Vermont now instead of South Shore Mass), I'll DEFINITELY be there! I was so bummed I missed Prime there's NO WAY I can miss another PAX, especially one so close! I'm excited!!!!

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • Options
    lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Westin appears to be booked, at least double rooms.

Sounds like it's almost time to start organizing those pre-Pax East meetups :mrgreen:

lucazzo on
    PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
  • Options
    ShadowWolf9ShadowWolf9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How could it be booked? I don't understand. So are we supposed to start booking hotel rooms already for a date that isn't confirmed?

I don't want to lose out on me or my friends getting one.

ShadowWolf9 on
  • Options
    ChaoticaChaotica Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The back of the program at Prime says: "Coming soon.... PAX East March 11-13, 2011 Boston Convention & Exhibition Center" so hopefully that's official enough for folks. :)

I'd definitely wait on the group rate hotel rates to come up. There was a nice free internet deal with the Sheraton at Prime, here's hoping the PAX folks can score something like that here in Boston too!

Chaotica on
    -- DJ Chaotica, Split Infinity Radio
    sirlsnr.gif
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BYOC and hotel again this year, dragging my best friend Sean along with me. And the 13th is my birthday, though I will have school on the 11th though it's in Bedford (Hanscom Field to be specific). SO EXCITED.

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am planning on going to PAX EAST 2011. I just need to figure out how in the name of Sir Frags-a-lot I'm going to pay for it all AND keep out of bankruptcy.

NEEDS:
    - PAX 3-day Pass
    - Transportation (PAX Train again?)
    - Hotel/Lodging
    - Forum Trading Item (Trading Cards again?)
    - Time Off
    - Event Tickets (MMT, Parties, etc)
    HAVES:
    Nothing as of yet.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My wife and I have every intention on going. Gotta figure out hotels and all that soon, so I can book WAY in advance.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    kiiilekiiile Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll be there. And thanks to my sweetie in Cambridge will be saving the mad buxxx on hotel. :-D

kiiile on
  • Options
    TheGamingPhilosopherTheGamingPhilosopher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just got back from PAX Prime and it was fantastic again. I am considering flying across the country for PAX East because I can't wait another year for PAX. Does anyone have any comments on how the two expos compare? Thanks!

TheGamingPhilosopher on
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just got back from PAX Prime and it was fantastic again. I am considering flying across the country for PAX East because I can't wait another year for PAX. Does anyone have any comments on how the two expos compare? Thanks!

I went to PAX Prime 2009/2010 and PAX East 2010.

East felt smaller and more chill, Prime bigger and more exciting. At East I felt I was pretty much able to do and see most things I was interested in without a lot of sacrifice, but at the same time there were large periods of downtime. I found more time for tabletop at East, but fewer organized activities outside the con itself. I also feel like I have more random conversations and encounters with PAXers at prime, though that could be an illusion.

Also East is, inherently, colder and has worse weather. Compare Seattle in the late summer to Boston in awful March.

Some people have told me that East feels like prime felt four or five years ago. I can't speak to that because I'm newer to PAX, but it's a thought.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PAX East once again falls on my birthday - couldn't ask for a better party :lol: I'll be there!

It's the weekend right before my birthday (maybe, as long as the dates don't change)

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll be going again. Last year was a blast.
    I wish I could stay at the Lenox again...it was a great hotel and had good prices and service...but it's way too far from the new convention center. I suppose one could use the buses / train during the day, and cabs after the concerts...

I'm trying to round up the rest of our group from last year to travel from Indiana. Debating planes vs trains for the trip.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll definitely be going again this year. Hmmm - I think Luca has it right. How soon should we start having pre-PAX East gaming parties again?

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One thing that I want to see at PAX East 2011?

Gabe and Tycho take another spin at "ACTION CASTLE"!

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will be there for sure. It will be my 6th PAX and I can't wait to see you all again. :mrgreen:

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe it's just the post-PAX blues talking, but I don't know if I want to wait another year for my third PAX. I've never been to Boston, and it's pretty much just as far from me as PAX Prime... I think I'm going to go this time.

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How could it be booked? I don't understand. So are we supposed to start booking hotel rooms already for a date that isn't confirmed?

Are you going directly through the hotel's website? If you are, the reason why they are booked is likely because PAX East has a hold on them. That's what usually happens when there is a convention. I would wait until the travel desk opens up.

Can't wait till the PAX East site is up and running and I can't wait to attend the convention. I'm glad there's a whole month between this and Anime Boston, instead of the two weeks in a row it was this year.

stardust462 on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I will definitely be there. Pax East 2010 was my first PAX, and the withdrawl I felt while not being able to attend Prime 2010 was palpable. I will never miss another PAX, east or west, if I can help it.

As some others have said, I'm sure that the CC hotel is simply blocked off for PAX, and you'll be able to get it through the PAX Travel thingy.

I'll be reserving a room as close as possible and purchasing a whole batch of tickets the day they are available!

zerzhul on
  • Options
    AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Are you sure you want that?

Apreche on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Apreche wrote: »

Are you sure you want that?

Oh my god yes. I just watched the video again last night. My wife and I were rolling in our seats watching it live.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!" - Gabe

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    MegadestructoMegadestructo Indie Community Manager Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Definitely be there as I live in the Boston area. Also hoping my company can get a small booth there (though the idea of working the entire time rather than enjoying it with you guys is less than optimal). :)

Megadestructo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is it wrong that I keep clicking the PAX East page looking for any sort of update? :D

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is it wrong that I keep clicking the PAX East page looking for any sort of update? :D

If it's wrong, I don't wanna be right. I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this!

MTSonic11 on
  • Options
    KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For comparison, the Sheraton from last year was ~$479 for two in a single room before travel desk discount, with the discount, it was ~$190!

The Westin is ~$439 without a discount, so HOPEFULLY, it will be around the same price!

Other than that, I will DEFINITELY be coming, even if i have to commute back and forth, I WILL BE THERE! :P

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    MTSonic11 wrote: »

If it's wrong, I don't wanna be right. I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this!

Yeah, I've been checking all day lol

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    SiberianSiberian Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

East felt smaller and more chill, Prime bigger and more exciting. At East I felt I was pretty much able to do and see most things I was interested in without a lot of sacrifice, but at the same time there were large periods of downtime. I found more time for tabletop at East, but fewer organized activities outside the con itself. I also feel like I have more random conversations and encounters with PAXers at prime, though that could be an illusion.

Some people have told me that East feels like prime felt four or five years ago. I can't speak to that because I'm newer to PAX, but it's a thought.

I wouldn't count on East remaining small for long. It was absolutely packed with people, totally sold out and compared with Prime while there were less people at East they seemed to be jam packed into every bit of space.

This year East is moving to a much larger venue in Boston and thus PAX East will likely again sell out and grow to fill it's new space.

Potentially East could more easily grow to be larger then Prime because the east coast just has more large cities more tightly located around Boston compared to Seattle.

Siberian on
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm going to try to go to east, not sure if I will have the vacation time or the vacation cash, but I'll try.

Juc on
  • Options
    SpYkMoSpYkMo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i really want to go again. but i think im going on family vacation in january. so i dont know if i can take a week of in january and a weekend off in march. but considering i live 10 minutes away, i'll work something out.
    i'm totally getting my 3 day pass as soon as possible, since i almost got left out last year. and i intend to attend more pre pax events, last year i only attended the mmt.

SpYkMo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Are you going directly through the hotel's website? If you are, the reason why they are booked is likely because PAX East has a hold on them. That's what usually happens when there is a convention. I would wait until the travel desk opens up.

Can't wait till the PAX East site is up and running and I can't wait to attend the convention. I'm glad there's a whole month between this and Anime Boston, instead of the two weeks in a row it was this year.

Remember that next year it will be at a different convention center (BCEC, Google maps satellite view) than it was last year (Hynes Convention Center, Google maps satellite view, same zoom level)

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Now I just need someone to share the hotel fees - where's that hotel room share thread for PAX east?

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will be making every effort to go, but there is a situation with a family member who needs surgery. If this happens in November, I should be able to attend. If it happens in January, there's a 50/50 chance I won't be able to attend. Won't know until the later half of next month, at the earliest.

About the connecting hotel (Westin Waterfront). There are two other conventions that run there earlier in the year. I run the game room for one of them. It's a nice place. Much friendlier than some of the other hotels I've been in around Boston. The price should drop considerably for the convention from $400 as well.
    There is one catch, though, and this pertains to drivers. Parking at the hotel will run you $35 - $45 depending on if you park the car yourself in the garage or if you have a valet park the car. On the other hand, for those driving back and forth, parking in the BCEC lot (behind the convention center) is only $10. Just remember to walk to the right side of the building (entrance is halfway down the right side of the building) if you're an attendee. The entrance on the left corner is for exhibitors only.

As far as food goes, the BCEC has at least one food court (well hidden, actually). Naturally, it's pricey, and they have a bad habit of not fully cooking the burgers. I would suggest eating there as a last resort. The Westin has two restaurants (one is an Irish Pub and the other is called Sauces) but many places will deliver to the hotel. If you're willing to walk all the way back to the main road (it's a long walk), there's a McDonalds in that building.

Where the convention this time is in March, I cannot stress enough to pay attention to the weather. March can go either way: freezing or warm. Where the convention center is that close to the water, I'd dress for colder weather (the sea breeze can really get to you, and there's not much there to stop it). Yes, this is speculation on my part but I've lived here for 25 years and am going by the general weather patterns for the season.

Although you won't have to deal with the Red Sox being in town, T users should keep an eye on the Bruins and Celtics schedules when they're available. Those will tie up the green and orange lines in particular during home games.

I do hope to be there. Had a wonderful time at the first one.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    undead wrote: »
    I will be making every effort to go, but there is a situation with a family member who needs surgery. If this happens in November, I should be able to attend. If it happens in January, there's a 50/50 chance I won't be able to attend. Won't know until the later half of next month, at the earliest.
    sorry to hear that :(
    undead wrote: »
    About the connecting hotel (Westin Waterfront). There are two other conventions that run there earlier in the year. I run the game room for one of them. It's a nice place. Much friendlier than some of the other hotels I've been in around Boston. The price should drop considerably for the convention from $400 as well.
    There is one catch, though, and this pertains to drivers. Parking at the hotel will run you $35 - $45 depending on if you park the car yourself in the garage or if you have a valet park the car. On the other hand, for those driving back and forth, parking in the BCEC lot (behind the convention center) is only $10. Just remember to walk to the right side of the building (entrance is halfway down the right side of the building) if you're an attendee. The entrance on the left corner is for exhibitors only.

As far as food goes, the BCEC has at least one food court (well hidden, actually). Naturally, it's pricey, and they have a bad habit of not fully cooking the burgers. I would suggest eating there as a last resort. The Westin has two restaurants (one is an Irish Pub and the other is called Sauces) but many places will deliver to the hotel. If you're willing to walk all the way back to the main road (it's a long walk), there's a McDonalds in that building.

Where the convention this time is in March, I cannot stress enough to pay attention to the weather. March can go either way: freezing or warm. Where the convention center is that close to the water, I'd dress for colder weather (the sea breeze can really get to you, and there's not much there to stop it). Yes, this is speculation on my part but I've lived here for 25 years and am going by the general weather patterns for the season.

Although you won't have to deal with the Red Sox being in town, T users should keep an eye on the Bruins and Celtics schedules when they're available. Those will tie up the green and orange lines in particular during home games.

I do hope to be there. Had a wonderful time at the first one.

That's some very good information. Hopefully some of this can be compiled into the inevitable FAQ.

As for the weather, I remember being about 20th in line before the first set of doors opened Saturday morning outside the Hynes at like 6am... it was pretty fucking cold.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I cannot stress enough how much of a crapshoot the weather in March is. My birthday is the 13th of March, and my first year living here (1996) it was 46 on my birthday. 1998 the high at Logan was 35. 2009 it was 33. This year it was 41.

This is what the entire week was like: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBOS/2010/3/13/WeeklyHistory.html

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    omeromeomerome Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm considering it but I will see what happens in the next couple of months.

omerome on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will definitely be there. As much as I would prefer to stay in the hotel attached to the convention center, I travel to Marriott hotels very often for work. I booked a room at the Renaissance. Whatever discount the PAX travel desk can get will probably be the same as my discount for being a frequent traveler.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll be there wearing red again. Going solo this year though.

Made a big mistake going with the friends I did last year and felt like I didn't get to experience PAX and Boston the way I wanted to.

Rdr on
  • Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will be going.. but not quite solo this time.
    Prime was still awesome alone.
    Friends were there and roomies that I saw randomly throughout the time but we never stuck to each other at all.
    And I got to do ALMOST everything I wanted.

adester on
  • Options
    SmidgetSmidget Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will definitely be going this time. If I can't get enough local friends to come along my group will definitely be participating in the hotel room share thread. Did it in '08 with a friend who's already confirmed to be coming along again this time and it was fantastic; met some really great people (there were 6 of us). Went to '07 and '08 and haven't been able to attend since. Really sucked missing the first year of East last year since its my coast! Not going to let it happen again.

Smidget on
    I read arrows
  • Options
    delicious3.14delicious3.14 Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm super excited for East. I'm already starting travel plans! I just hope I can find a place to stay that isn't super expensive and still some what close to the BCEC.

delicious3.14 on
    PAX East '11 Pokecrawl || Team Green B Poke Prof.
    PAX Prime '10 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Ravenclaw House!
    PAX East '10 Pokecrawl || Team Green PokeAsst♀
This discussion has been closed.