As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minecraft - There is no sound, Drop to refresh durability, That's a spawn cage

• Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    The server lends itself nicely to desktop systems mainly because they usually have less cores and more speed. Whereas servers tend to have more cores and less speed.

For instance my home PC, 4 cores and it's 3.0GHz-ish. The servers at work? 12(2x6) cores and they're at 2.0GHz. Now, the server works great for lots of little processes that need to get done. Not so great at gigantic single processes that aren't designed for multicore.

I imagine the server software would perform better on a P4 3.2 GHz than a Xeon 2.0GHz system.

I disagree. Xeon's are far better equipped to handle work loads than P4's.

Granted, older Xeon's I would say "yeah, just use the P4". The server I run on is a Quad Xeon L5335 @ 2.00GHz. I run two SMP's - pinning each one to a different CPU. I run Debian 5

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    VG-RobotVG-Robot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    VG-Robot wrote: »
    Attention all dwellers of the UNDERDARK!

The DEEPDWARF ATHEIST UNION has risen to calmly denounce all gods.

We have taken over a free house built by some unknown creator (certainly not a supernatural creator, though) and have claimed it as our rational gathering area.

Oh, and we also created a giant stone structure stating "NO GOD". With torches. It's still quite rational. You can't miss it.

The requirements to join are a complete denouncement of all gods, including silly 'firestars' which probably don't exist. Also, we have a surface entrance (though the surface probably doesn't exist, but just in case), just look for a completely rational gathering of torches in your fictional overworld.

We currently have..._1_ member, but are accepting applications! Just wear a golden hat. Don't have a golden hat? Mine for that shit! What do you think Deepdwarves do? Our headquarters are located east of the giant 'NO GOD' sign, on the left hand side.

You are a blasphemer and we RedStoners shall never believe such heresy!

The joke is on you, because blaspheming only gives us erections!

We shall horde the redstone, lock it away! If we remove the object of your worship we remove your false belief!

Perhaps a chest at the bottom of the sea, or perhaps under a simple inconscpicuous stone? It shall not be seen again!

VG-Robot on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sounds like my little box might be a bit underpowered for the job. Ah well.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Redlance wrote: »
    Their is a new utility out now. It takes the map of your world and allows you to slice it down layer by layer. I learned that one of my worlds has almost no caves at all and the two dungeons it does have is surrounded by rock. It also gives you a really nice overhead map of what your current world looks like that you can fly around in.

http://xiatek.org/?p=89

If you want to sap all the fun out of the game, that's a great tool.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My old box (which I hope to use as a "dedicated" server for <10 of my friends) is an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ @1.833GHz, w/ 1GB DDR 400 (PC 3200) RAM. It plays the single-player game OK, but I was really hoping multiplayer would be even smoother (since it doesn't need to render graphics).

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Their is a new utility out now. It takes the map of your world and allows you to slice it down layer by layer. I learned that one of my worlds has almost no caves at all and the two dungeons it does have is surrounded by rock. It also gives you a really nice overhead map of what your current world looks like that you can fly around in.

Why you gotta be a jerk?

tofu on
  • Options
    slugabedslugabed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If Notch's task list is to believed, he has canceled his plan to put the game logic on a separate thread. For a server, he would have to have many different threads in order to get proper multi processor scaling.

By the end he could have code that is much closer to what an mmo server would have. Which might be pretty useful too.

slugabed on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DigitalSyn wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    The server lends itself nicely to desktop systems mainly because they usually have less cores and more speed. Whereas servers tend to have more cores and less speed.

For instance my home PC, 4 cores and it's 3.0GHz-ish. The servers at work? 12(2x6) cores and they're at 2.0GHz. Now, the server works great for lots of little processes that need to get done. Not so great at gigantic single processes that aren't designed for multicore.

I imagine the server software would perform better on a P4 3.2 GHz than a Xeon 2.0GHz system.

I disagree. Xeon's are far better equipped to handle work loads than P4's.

Granted, older Xeon's I would say "yeah, just use the P4". The server I run on is a Quad Xeon L5335 @ 2.00GHz. I run two SMP's - pinning each one to a different CPU. I run Debian 5

Two servers, yeah, but a single server? I don't know Probably today's Xeon you're right.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    tofu wrote: »

Why you gotta be a jerk?

I have to say, it is pretty neat to tear apart a map and see how your buildings look too.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there any way to show the button numbers on the hotbar? I've lost track of how many times I've hit the wrong button - usually it isn't a big deal, but when a skeleton pops out of the dark and you fumble across the number row because you can't remember if your sword is in 5, 6, or 7 (especially if you're picking up items after respawning and your sword appears somewhere new) it can matter.

Also, I'm going to try this with Joy2Key tonight and a gamepad. My index finger hurts today after 10 hours of non-stop clicking, and I'm sure my W key is like WTF, DUDE.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, you got me...

I'm on my third night of survival and having a grand ole' time.

I am however torn, I have had the wiki open the whole time but haven't looked at it yet, part of me wants to read ahead and see all of the cool stuff I can do, another part of me wants to feel things out as I go like I have been doing and yet another part of me doesn't care because I think I have figured out enough to start building the floating fortress of my dreams.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Why you gotta be a jerk?

I'm not being a jerk. I just wouldn't find it fun to play single player if I knew where all the ore/dungeons were. That tool is akin to playing with a trainer, that's all.

Figgy on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lly on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    some people want to explore. some want to create. some want to do both.

This tool has multiple uses, and isn't just for spoiling a map.

belligerent on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Attention all dwellers of the UNDERDARK!

The DEEPDWARF ATHEIST UNION has risen to calmly denounce all gods.

We have taken over a free house built by some unknown creator (certainly not a supernatural creator, though) and have claimed it as our rational gathering area.

Oh, and we also created a giant stone structure stating "NO GOD". With torches. It's still quite rational. You can't miss it.

The requirements to join are a complete denouncement of all gods, including silly 'firestars' which probably don't exist. Also, we have a surface entrance (though the surface probably doesn't exist, but just in case), just look for a completely rational gathering of torches in your fictional overworld.

We currently have..._1_ member, but are accepting applications! Just wear a golden hat. Don't have a golden hat? Mine for that shit! What do you think Deepdwarves do? Our headquarters are located east of the giant 'NO GOD' sign, on the left hand side.

You are a blasphemer and we RedStoners shall never believe such heresy!

The joke is on you, because blaspheming only gives us erections!

We shall horde the redstone, lock it away! If we remove the object of your worship we remove your false belief!

Perhaps a chest at the bottom of the sea, or perhaps under a simple inconscpicuous stone? It shall not be seen again!

Your silly beliefs do not threaten us. We shall mine the dark for RedStone, for HE giveth us such great resources. You will never stop us, and even the StoneFather shall allign to defeat you!

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Why you gotta be a jerk?

I'm not being a jerk. I just wouldn't find it fun to play single player if I knew where all the ore/dungeons were. That tool is akin to playing with a trainer, that's all.

If you weren't trying to be a jerk you should work on your tact then

Maybe just say "Thanks for posting an interesting utility. I won't get much use out of it but not everyone plays the game the same way I do."

tofu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    some people want to explore. some want to create. some want to do both.

This tool has multiple uses, and isn't just for spoiling a map.

Different strokes. I just wouldn't be able to resist the urge to check which way I should be digging my mine for the best ores. Then, I would spiral out of control and I might as well be playing Creative mode.

Maybe just say "Thanks for posting an interesting utility. I won't get much use out of it but not everyone plays the game the same way I do."

People talk like that?

Figgy on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Why you gotta be a jerk?

Lighten up Francis, it was just a little sarcasm. It's a cool tool, but it would likely kill all the fun of a survival game rather quick.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The tools good for large scale land scaping (Digging out 1000+ blocks of dirt to build your mountain top fortress a "natural" lake-like moat.)

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    The tools good for large scale land scaping (Digging out 1000+ blocks of dirt to build your mountain top fortress a "natural" lake-like moat.)

Wait, the tool can't actually change your map. It just displays it, right?

Figgy on
  • Options
    vallavvallav Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zombies and/or skeleton archers keep assassinating me. Then, when I go to try and hunt them to take revenge, they're nowhere to be found. Which is odd, because there aren't many places to hide in my tunnels.
    Any idea what might be happening? Do they explode from torches or something?

vallav on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I thought the shovel was for that?

Say you have a server.... can jerky jerks wreck your creations?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dear Penny Arcade Crafters of Mines,

Hey! It's Ein. I have some questions for you.

So, Rapture. Heck of a thing, quite proud of all of us for making it, and I hope it continues to grow.

There's also been some interest in making Columbia, the flying city from Bioshock 3, which isn't out yet. I've been considering how I might best facilitate this, and step one seems to be to lower the cloud level so we have more room 'above the clouds' to build in, if you catch my drift.

Now, I can do that, but it looks like I can only really do that on a fresh map.

I'm also able to transplant Rapture into a different map now, thanks to a handy editor I found on the Minecraft Forums. I should be able to move it from one map into another with some difficulty.

I've been considering doing this - making a new map with a nice big ocean, a nice low cloud level, and a bunch of terrain in the surrounding areas for people to build off of. Then, I'd uproot Rapture from it's current map, and deposit it in the new one, hopefully relatively unscathed!

The problem, however, is that there is a ton of random stuff built all over the damn place, particularly the shoreline.

So, here's my question. Would you guys be terribly upset if I uprooted Rapture, and only Rapture, and put it into a new map? Most of the stuff on the shoreline and inland would be gone.

Ein on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Basically you want to just duplicate this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ggNKbsBj7s&feature=player_embedded

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have a feeling the dudes on my server can do a better job, if not as good. And yes, I think it'd be a nice diversion from drown-building.

Ein on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »

They can and they will.

I believe there is a function to have new users unable to create/change anything until you allow them. So joiners would be tourists until you feel they're ready to be trusted.

I don't know why we don't use this function.

Figgy on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys!

So yeah, my host at work decided to start blocking like... everything ever. I can't access shit unless it's aprooved and Minecraft is not, lol.

I'm on a 32 hour shift right now and I expected to play, but I can't now, so I was wondering if someone would be a doll and e-mail me the WoM client wrapper?

elinigma at gmail

If someone could do this for me I would owe you big time! (I assume it is ok to ask for this because it is linked on the main OP)

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Of course the shovel can dig out dirt. For hours on end.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Of course the shovel can dig out dirt. For hours on end.

And the tool can't, so your point is moot.

The tool doesn't change anything. It just looks.

Figgy on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know, i'm surprised nobody has created an exact duplicate of the Zelda maps from the SNES/gameboy era.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If I can build a floating island, complete with water falls, they can dig out 1000+ blocks of dirt.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can someone email me the IP for rapture? I really want to check it out when I get off from work.

EDIT: Rock, thank you Figgy and Corehealer! I look forward to checking the awesome out.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If I can build a floating island, complete with water falls, they can dig out 1000+ blocks of dirt.

I don't think you're following the conversation.

Tool = MineView

Figgy on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Robziel wrote: »
    Can someone email me the IP for rapture? I really want to check it out when I get off from work.

It's in the OP @ the bottom.

EIN: I'm supportive of the move, and I only say that because I think there is too much water and that forced everything to be spread out. "Traveling" takes time and its harder to really "visit" everything at the normal rate of travel.

Hopefully future updates allow us to build cars and shit.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Robziel wrote: »

It's in the OP @ the bottom.

EIN: I'm supportive of the move, and I only say that because I think there is too much water and that forced everything to be spread out. "Traveling" takes time and its harder to really "visit" everything at the normal rate of travel.

Hopefully future updates allow us to build cars and shit.

Once mobs and minecarts are working in SMP, there'll be almost no reason to play single player at all.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Let me illustrate with an example.

Currently our water level is at 64 blocks high. This is the ocean level.

The new map would maintain this water level, because Rapture is built upon bedrock. It's a necessity, any lower and we'd be surfacing.

Currently our cloud level is at 108 blocks high. The ceiling of the map is fixed at 128 blocks. That is not enough room to build a city above the clouds.

I can move the cloud level on a new map down to about 84, so it's 20 above the water and gives us 44 to work with above the clouds. Plenty for a city.

The new map would be mostly ocean with a couple smatterings of islands and a few big mountains in the distance. Rapture would be in the middle of this ocean.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    You know, i'm surprised nobody has created an exact duplicate of the Zelda maps from the SNES/gameboy era.

I hate you, you fucker.

Welp, there goes my year.

bowen on
  • Options
    kapohokapoho Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am fine with the rapture move, thats all I spend my time in anyways :P

kapoho on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Minecraft maps are creating forever as long as you keep digging... sideways at least? Or is that wrong? Will you ever reach the edge of the world?

Figgy on
This discussion has been closed.