As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I love you, Spartacus. [RIP the legendary Tony Curtis]

DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy EaterRight behind you...Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Breaking News on several sites is that Tony Curtis has died. The man was pretty much a legend in movies, having starred in classics such as "The Great Race," "Some Like It Hot," and, of course, "Spartacus." He is also the father of Jamie Lee Curtis. No more details on his passing yet, but I remember hearing a while ago that his health was failing.

EDIT: Now with article. Apparently, his death was the result of cardiac arrest.

Dalboz on

• Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jamie Lee Curtis was hot in True Lies.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Knowing very little about classic cinema, I'll take it as a bad sign that I read the title and assumed it was about the guy who is playing Sparticus on HBO right now ... or is it Showtime? Anyways, apparently he might have to drop out of the role due to a relapse of cancer.

Still, sucks anytime a Hollywood icon dies.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My favorite movie of all time is The Great Race with Tony Curtis as "The Great Leslie!".

It's sad to see him go.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tony Curtis was a fucking legend. When people talk about old school movie stars, Tony Curtis was the kind they where talking about. That is all.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I watched Some Like it Hot just the other day. I looked him up and, to be honest, was surprised that he was still around.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's a small mural of Tony Curtis on the 101 freeway south in Hollywood. I call him the patron saint of L.A. traffic. If you don't say hi to Tony, your trip will take twice as long.

I'll say goodbye next time, too.

Tach on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some Like It Hot was one of the best comedies ever.

Hachface on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Vikings was my first exposure to Tony Curtis. This was followed up with Spartacus.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I think he coasted on his incredible charm for quite a few roles, but when he had a decent part he was capable of astonishing performances. His smalltime sleazebag in The Sweet Smell Of Success had to share the screen with one of cinemas greatest monsters (Burt Lancaster's JJ Hunsecker), and he more than holds his own. In Some Like It Hot he has to perform the unbelievable feat of matching the guy who was America's finest comic actor, Jack Lemmon, and it's most beautiful woman, often at the same time. And in The Boston Strangler he creates a memorable picture of a killer.

And my God but that Cary Grant impression is wonderful.

Bogart on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Disappointingly, he apparently never actually said 'Yondah is dah castle of my fadah'.

Bogart on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will always remember him for "Some Like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon.

Some_Like_It_Hot_poster.jpg

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    His performance in "Some Like it Hot" was certainly his most memorable, but for me, when I think of Tony Curtis, I think of the pugnacious Danny Wilde in 'The Persuaders'. That was a great series.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Go watch Sweet Smell of Success right now to pay tribute. (And to see an awesome movie!)

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He's got kind of a small-ish role in Paris When it Sizzles...

but he's kind of awesome in a 4th wall breaking kind of way.

I was kind of wanting to see the movie version of Boeing Boeing, guess I really should now.

Galahad on