As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ace Attorney: 20 Years of Finger Pointing

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I had been having some very busy days, so until now I couldn't continue with Double Destinies. Been doing the second case.

First, the gymnastics that the localizers continue to have to do to say this game is set in America are funny. Second, people are worse at lying every time - and how exactly does not Apollo pick up on how the actual culprit is lying his ass off if he's supposed to be a magic lie detector dammit. And third, man, I see that the asshole levels of the prosecution keep steadily increasing as the series goes on - this guy is a gigantic dick in addition to the fact that how does a convicted murderer that makes absolutely no attempts to hide that he would absolutely kill again get to be a prosecutor. And yet he seems the only person in the PW universe who has an idea what rhethoric means, even if he doesn't use it very well.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Oh you'll find out

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    as for myself, I found this thread because I am on Case 5 of Dual Destinies and it's great. This miiiight be my favorite PW game since the first. I really enjoy Athena as a character and I like the older, more seasoned Phoenix. I notice that when the case swings against him, his mind doesn't get BLOWN the way Apollo and Athena do; he's smoother and more confident. It's a neat touch.

It's nice to see (spoilers, I guess)
    that AA5 is bringing back or at least mentioning past characters like Edgeworth, Pearl, Maya, and Klavier. I've grown to love Fulbright, too, but I miss Gumshoe and Ema Skye and hope they might turn up at least once before the end.

Apollo Justice was weirdly fastidious about clearing the decks of every old character besides Phoenix and the judge. I'm not sure what brought that on, but it's nice to see the game kind of organically folding its extended cast back in where they can.

I wouldn't really mind if Meekins and Wendy Oldbag were left in the dustbin of history, though.
    On shooing out the old cast, I'm going to guess that it had something to do with the first three games all being GBA games originally and forming a fairly coherent trilogy. Apollo Justice was the first new game in the series on a new console, so it's likely they were trying to keep it very new as opposed to falling back on characters who had, by and large, completed their story arcs.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I seriously don't get the Oldbag hate. I think she's hilarious.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Layton vs Wright Chapter 5
    Ahahahah I knew it! I knew it! I played Azran Legacy! I read your book, you magnificent bastard! I READ YOUR BOOK!

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    EUREKA! A new piece of evidence has been added to the Court Record. During the “World of Capcom” panel today at New York Comic Con, Capcom confirmed that Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy will be releasing on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS on December 9 for North America and December 11 across Europe. Everyone at New York Comic Con this weekend can visit Capcom in booth #1604 to get hands-on time with the game and experience all of the courtroom drama.

A new collection of comparison assets have been released today, which feature screens from the original Nintendo DS release of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All side-by-side with screens from the upcoming remastered Nintendo 3DS game. These screens highlight the stunning high resolution re-drawn graphics that are featured in the upcoming game.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy will include newly remastered versions of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations all in one digital package on the Nintendo 3DS system for $29.99 / €29.99 / £24.99.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I had totally forgot about the best dialog exchange in 3-5.
    Edgeworth: Are.
    Von Karma: You.
    Judge: High! The girl... she's really high up in the picture.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Finally up to the "infamous" 3rd case in Apollo Justice.

I never read any details, because I didn't ever want to spoil it, but I guess I can kinda see the issues people have. I don't think it's bad, but it's definitely off a bit.
    The initial premise is indeed flawed, basic logic should tell you a 14 year old didn't do any of this shit, more so if you factor in his "secret" (which gets debunked later, I'll admit). And, I don't know if this is a sign that the whole case is weak, or maybe I'm just too clever, but I'm at the point where you find out Lamiroir was sneaking through the vents, and I think I now have this case utterly figured out, down to the last twist and trick. And this is where the series is at its most dangerous, because you know the answer, but they still want you to go through the equation first, which might screw you up in assuming contradictions that technically aren't there yet.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    That's not why people don't like the case (I mean, none of the cases in Apollo Justice are good, so singling that one out would be silly)

People don't like it because it shows that damn concert video over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So I asked this before but I'm still not totally clear. I own all 7 Layton games. I haven't finished Curious Village yet so I have a very long way to go in that series. I own all the Ace Attorney games and on that side I'm doing a lot better: I still have to finish Ace Attorney Investigation 2 and Dual Destinies.

- Is Ace Attorney vs. Layton canon?
    - Where (or rather When) does it fit into the canon?
    - Should I finish more/all of the Layton games first?
    - Should I finish Dual Destinies first?

I'm admittedly kind of anal about playing games in the right chronology. And I don't want to inadvertently spoil previous games either by playing AAvL.

Thoughts?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    That's not why people don't like the case (I mean, none of the cases in Apollo Justice are good, so singling that one out would be silly)

People don't like it because it shows that damn concert video over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I remember bits and pieces of them but I can't really describe a single case in total of Apollo Justice. Hmmpf.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So I asked this before but I'm still not totally clear. I own all 7 Layton games. I haven't finished Curious Village yet so I have a very long way to go in that series. I own all the Ace Attorney games and on that side I'm doing a lot better: I still have to finish Ace Attorney Investigation 2 and Dual Destinies.

I'm admittedly kind of anal about playing games in the right chronology. And I don't want to inadvertently spoil previous games either by playing AAvL.

Thoughts?

In order:
    1. It could be canon? Nothing in the game really contradicts anything in either series. Well, except for a distinct lack of a character from Curious Village... So maybe it isn't canon?
    2. For Ace Attorney, it'd be sometime between Trials and Tribulations and Phoenix losing his badge. For Layton? Any time between Curious Village and Unwound Future. Though, it's a bit muddled, since Layton knows Chelmey, but a certain other character is nowhere to be seen.
    3. As long as you know the central premise of Layton, you should be good. There's nothing that really requires foreknowledge of a lot of the series's stuff, and the puzzles aren't too difficult in this one.
    4. No need to play Dual Destinies first. Among other reasons, AA v PL actually was made prior to Dual Destinies. Which really makes you wonder why Dual Destinies didn't carry over some of the interesting mechanics AA vs PL had, but I digress.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Thoughts?

In order:
    1. It could be canon? Nothing in the game really contradicts anything in either series. Well, except for a distinct lack of a character from Curious Village... So maybe it isn't canon?
    2. For Ace Attorney, it'd be sometime between Trials and Tribulations and Phoenix losing his badge. For Layton? Any time between Curious Village and Unwound Future. Though, it's a bit muddled, since Layton knows Chelmey, but a certain other character is nowhere to be seen.
    3. As long as you know the central premise of Layton, you should be good. There's nothing that really requires foreknowledge of a lot of the series's stuff, and the puzzles aren't too difficult in this one.
    4. No need to play Dual Destinies first. Among other reasons, AA v PL actually was made prior to Dual Destinies. Which really makes you wonder why Dual Destinies didn't carry over some of the interesting mechanics AA vs PL had, but I digress.

Cool, thanks.

Maybe I'll at least finish Curious Village first since I'm fairly close to being done.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    A brand new Ace Attorney spin-off game has been announced - Dog Ace Attorney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TayVCvUCImM
    April Fools!

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

I remember bits and pieces of them but I can't really describe a single case in total of Apollo Justice. Hmmpf.

Something something grape juice, something something repeated pantie jokes that weren't funny the first time, something something poor man's Dalia, something something concert, the end.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I ended up having to watch a Youtube "Let's Translate" of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 to get through that game. It was surprisingly good, so it's a shame it never made it out of Japan.

• Options
    There's a translation patch

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Fuck, this looks so good. I really hope they're gonna localize it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Baron von Edgeworth looks perfect

god the closing arguement thing is going to skyrocket my blood pressure though

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Just finished the second witch trial in Wright vs Layton.

HOLY

SHIT

I was not expecting things to be this hardcore coming into the game.

Edit:

Oh god.
    They're playing a sad version of Maya's theme music. I'm not sure I can take this.

I mean clearly everything will be alright in the end, but right now this is painful.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Is... is that Jack the Ripper?

I'm hoping the Jury brings back the mass cross-examination in Layton vs Wright. That was loads of fun (especially the last one).

Actually, I'm getting a mild LvW vibe from this game in general. The art leans a bit in that direction, especially with the jury.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    At which point in Dual Destinies would be the best time to play the DLC chapter? Before a particular case, anytime before the final case, or after the final case?

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    At which point in Dual Destinies would be the best time to play the DLC chapter? Before a particular case, anytime before the final case, or after the final case?

Chronologically it takes place between cases two and three.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I think it's written with the expectation that you play it last though. I mean I don't remember any outright spoilers but I thought there were a few 'eh, eh, if only they knew what you know now' moments.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Is... is that Jack the Ripper?

I'm hoping the Jury brings back the mass cross-examination in Layton vs Wright. That was loads of fun (especially the last one).

Actually, I'm getting a mild LvW vibe from this game in general. The art leans a bit in that direction, especially with the jury.
    Based on screens it looks like it is

xvvlqq61m35x.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Ok my god Great Ace Attorney looks amazing.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I'm about itching for a new AA since PW vs Layton. Almost considering rebuying and replaying through AA5 (I bought it for a 3DS I ended up having to sell) just to play the DLC. How good is the DLC?

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    I'm about itching for a new AA since PW vs Layton. Almost considering rebuying and replaying through AA5 (I bought it for a 3DS I ended up having to sell) just to play the DLC. How good is the DLC?

Put it to you this way: it's got the weirdest final battle with the person who actually did it that doesn't involve demonic possession.

Also you get to defend a goddamn whale.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    http://gematsu.com/2015/04/the-great-ace-attorney-details-cross-examination

Goes in depth with the cross examination stuff in Great Ace Attorney. I really hope this game comes to NA.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/ace-attorney-6-first-scans-show-phoenix-wright-and-new-character-western-release-confirmed/
    - Phoenix Wright ends up traveling to an unnamed country
    - people there strongly believe in the spirits of the dead
    - the courtrooms in this country have something called a Water Mirror on the floor
    - on the top screen you'll see the face of a character and words floating in the water
    - young boy named Bokuto Tsuani is a monk-in-training who also works as a tour guide
    - once he gets in his “Tour Guide Mode”, there simply isn’t any way to stop him

fnwvogbpnwmn.jpg
    n7j4if894tk5.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Yo that's awesome

But Great Ace Attorney tho...

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    No Maya, I guess?

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    No Maya, I guess?

It seems like she'll have as much to do in this game as she did in AA5, which is probably just a cameo.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I really hope they retain the bench of lawyers established in 5. That was easily the best thing in the game, the variety of styles and special skills. If they wanted the "your character is new and easily spooked", they had a character for that, while not character assassinating people who had been around for FAR too long to still be making such mistakes. I'd also be okay with DLC cases after the fact as long as the game remains at the typical length and they don't go insane with the pricing. The last DLC case was very good.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    From the 3DS thread:
    skeldare wrote: »

@capcom_france Awesome! But about Dai Gyakuten Saiban (in the past) you don't have any info?

@ktouktou Unfortunately the game isn't planned for a Western release.

Fuuuuuuuuuck.