As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm a university student again.

2»

• Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The same thing happened to me. I failed out of the biochemistry program at the University of Calgary. I ended up in business at U of Alberta two years later. Shit worked out so keep your head up.

Biochem is a goddamn hard major.

I started there and moved to Microbiology because I knew it would kick my ass SO HARD.

Plus I can still do what I like with my current degree so why go through all that physics/chemistry.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Congrats man. Most of my friends went to Ottawa U.

I on the other hand never took the plunge.

Meiz on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm hoping to get into Mass Communications

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Arsenic7 wrote:
    The same thing happened to me. I failed out of the biochemistry program at the University of Calgary. I ended up in business at U of Alberta two years later. Shit worked out so keep your head up.

Biochem is a goddamn hard major.

I started there and moved to Microbiology because I knew it would kick my ass SO HARD.

Plus I can still do what I like with my current degree so why go through all that physics/chemistry.

Yea, it is a hard ass program. And it wasn't like a I failed all my classes. I only failed two and still ended up out on my ass. Tough love, I guess. I didn't skip classes. The stuff wasn't just getting through to me.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have heard of colleges using attendance as part of the grade on MANY occasions. This is not something I consider uncommon at all.

Defender on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Most of the teachers I had that didn't have attendance policies, taught classes where the tests were hard as fuck unless you came to class.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jordyn wrote:
    Most of the teachers I had that didn't have attendance policies, taught classes where the tests were hard as fuck unless you came to class.

This is true.

My problem with some of my upper level courses came when the teacher essentially REQUIRED that everyone in the class see him in after hours teacher/student meetings in order to properly explain the material.

That and my addiction to WoW at the time didn't help. *cough*

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    which of you RIT faggots can confirm that this guy hates jews or not
    http://digg.com/offbeat_news/How_dragons_drove_me_out_of_my_home#c5021467

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    sometimes I don't feel like going to class

and then I think "fuck I am spending so much money on this shit, I better get something out of it" and go
    It's like we're soul mates or something

(Compiler Construction in 30 minutes aaaaaaaa :()

Ledneh on
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ledneh wrote:
    Keith wrote:

and then I think "fuck I am spending so much money on this shit, I better get something out of it" and go

Ha, I loved that class.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    SamuelSamuel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just dropped out of uni the other day. Not because I was doing badly or anything, but because it was sociology.

Sociology.

Now I get to eat free cake and drink free tea every weekday instead, and also serve the occasional customer.

I'm happy enough.

Samuel on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Framling wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Ha, I loved that class.
    Don't get me wrong, it's one of two classes this semester I actually like (the other being Guitar I--I needed the elective credit and I've wanted to learn an instrument anyway). It's just that by that point in the day I just want to get away from campus, do my workout which I have no idea if it's even working or the right workout or not, and go home and play WoW/sleep :(

Oh well, at least I graduate in May. B.S. in Comp Sci with a minor in Math, woo emot-shobon.gif

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ledneh wrote:
    Framling wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Ha, I loved that class.
    Don't get me wrong, it's one of two classes this semester I actually like (the other being Guitar I--I needed the elective credit and I've wanted to learn an instrument anyway). It's just that by that point in the day I just want to get away from campus, do my workout which I have no idea if it's even working or the right workout or not, and go home and play WoW/sleep :(

Oh well, at least I graduate in May. B.S. in Comp Sci with a minor in Math, woo emot-shobon.gif

Stop following me!

Just... on the major/minor thing. That's uh... that's really it.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Samuel wrote:
    I just dropped out of uni the other day. Not because I was doing badly or anything, but because it was sociology.

Sociology.

:? I do sociology. among other things.

ascot on
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    ascot wrote:
    Samuel wrote:

Sociology.

Like working at McDonald's to stay financially afloat?

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Larlar wrote:
    ascot wrote:
    Samuel wrote:

Sociology.

I think it's a sign that I've been doing CS homework too long today that at first I thought your title was some kind of perl regexp

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ledneh wrote:
    Larlar wrote:
    ascot wrote:
    Samuel wrote:

Sociology.

I think it's a sign that I've been doing CS homework too long today that at first I thought your title was some kind of perl regexp

I actually know what that means, and yet it still just looks like you sneezed while typing the end of that sentence and hit submit.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    WintersleepWintersleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In my tiny Southern Ontario University we use a newfangled contraption called the i-Clicker. It's basically a remote with A, B, C, D, and E printed on it. The teachers use it for class participation and are talking about using it to track attendance.

This could suck for me. I mean, I never go to my scheduled lectures. Today I was my actual Biology lecture for the first time because I was downloading every album by Dream Theater and I didn't want to stop.

Wintersleep on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Larlar wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:

I actually know what that means, and yet it still just looks like you sneezed while typing the end of that sentence and hit submit.
    Quite possibly that's what happened

oh well, time to go learn the pitfalls of syntax errors that cannot be detected with parse trees or something

(it kills me every day that I pay money to torture myself with more school, but I guess there's a shiny sheepskin and a fat paycheck at the end so that's okay)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In my tiny Southern Ontario University we use a newfangled contraption called the i-Clicker. It's basically a remote with A, B, C, D, and E printed on it. The teachers use it for class participation and are talking about using it to track attendance.

This could suck for me. I mean, I never go to my scheduled lectures. Today I was my actual Biology lecture for the first time because I was downloading every album by Dream Theater and I didn't want to stop.

that's what you get for downloading every album by Dream Theater

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

You actually became the Biology lecture?

That's deep.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lord Dave wrote:

You actually became the Biology lecture?

That's deep.

Biology lectures are infamous for compulsively pirating music.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well then

Call me a Biology Lecture!

Yarrrrr

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I went through a brief phase in 2002 where I was an Astronomy symposium that loved to steal candy from the local grocery store.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Fallout wrote:

that's what you get for downloading every album by Dream Theater

Before I came here, I used to post on these boards where everyone happened to fucking love Dream Theater.

And then the admin turned out to be a Russian con artist or something, and the boards exploded.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Samuel wrote:

Sociology.

Now I get to eat free cake and drink free tea every weekday instead, and also serve the occasional customer.

I'm happy enough.

I did sociology after about a month, just because it felt....utterly pointless. I mean, i started off intrested. I wanted to know about the social structures of our culture, but it just.....bored the shit outta me.

I am serious...Don't bother.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I dropped out of an Msc in Physics at Durham after a term.

Probably the right decision...

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    cowmeetcowmeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Guys, I went away suddenly and failed every class. I'm moving and plan on going to a community college, then transfering. I also plan on just giving them my highschool grades.

will they find out?

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    i'd go on for a phd, but have no real desire to teach, i just want to do the research

but my wife is like
    you've been in school forever you fuckin nutcase

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm in a film/digital media major at my school

It's like "I don't think I can get an actual degree outta this thing'

But it's cool because we watch Pixar movies

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    cowmeet wrote:
    Guys, I went away suddenly and failed every class. I'm moving and plan on going to a community college, then transfering. I also plan on just giving them my highschool grades.

will they find out?

if it's a community college they should ever care about your grades

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Framling wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:
    Framling wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Ha, I loved that class.

Stop following me!

fuck
    i'm going for the same major/minor as the guy that was begging for a job
    great

potatoe on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Larlar wrote:
    ascot wrote:
    Samuel wrote:

Sociology.

WHOOOOPS!!!
    WHOOPS.jpg

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I always hated University students, even when I was one.

Them and their backpacks and their politics and their fucking stupid discounts.

I wouldn't even wear a backpack just so I wouldn't look like one.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    edited February 2007
    potatoe wrote:
    Framling wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:
    Framling wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Ha, I loved that class.

Stop following me!

fuck
    i'm going for the same major/minor as the guy that was begging for a job
    great

To be fair, I'm actually only out of a job because my company got bought out by assholes. I originally got the job pretty quickly.

I don't know how comforting "You'll get bought" really is.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Discounts are awesome, dude

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    SlyJokerSlyJoker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Discounts are awesome, dude

Always.

SlyJoker on
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You can take bowling or DDR at my college of 1 credit.

<3 on
  • Options
    WidepathWidepath Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The attendance for my classes was mostly at the whim of the individual professors.

Some would not care if you only showed up for the midterm and the final. Some would bump your grade down a letter each time you missed.

But it worked out to about $50 each time a class met, so i went.
    :?

Widepath on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    trentsteel wrote:
    I always hated University students, even when I was one.

Them and their backpacks and their politics and their fucking stupid discounts.

I wouldn't even wear a backpack just so I wouldn't look like one.

Were you one of those guys that stayed in their rooms all the time

All bitching about how much you hated college

With long hair pulled back into a hilarious ponytail

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png