As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lack of discretion and Lite-Bright Mooninites

freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
CNN wrote:
vert.boston.device2.ap.jpg
"It had a very sinister appearance," Coakley told reporters.
"It had a battery behind it, and wires."

An advertisement scheme involving magnetic Lite-Bright boards placed in conspicuous locations throughout various cities caused Boston authorities to wig the fuck out:
CNN wrote:
Turner said the devices have been in place for two or three weeks in Boston; New York City; Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; Atlanta, Georgia; Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Austin, Texas; San Francisco, California; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

However, only in Boston did the light boards create such a furor. In Seattle and several suburbs, the signs were removed without fuss, according to The Associated Press.

Twenty-two-year-old Todd Venderlin, a design student at the Parsons School of Design in New York City, saw one of the devices two weeks ago as he left a lounge in south Boston, according to The Boston Globe. He said he was stunned when he saw bomb squads removing them.

"It's so not threatening -- it's a Lite-Brite," he told the newspaper, referring to the children's toy that allows its users to create pictures by placing translucent pegs into an opaque board. "I don't understand how they could be terrified. I would if it was a bunch of circuits blinking, but it wasn't."

CNN (owned by Turner):
Two plead not guilty to Boston hoax charges

Fox News (not owned by Turner?):
Arrests made after 'suspicious packages' paralyzed Boston as part of Cartoon Network marketing campaign

There are threads covering this in some of the other forums, but I know a lot of you don't get out much. I know, it's okay; it's scary out there, but even so, let's try to keep this more directed towards the technology aspect of this joke of a bomb scare. What the fuck, Boston?

happysig.png
freshmasterfresh on

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

LOOK OUT IT'S A BOMB!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A lite-brite.

Fucking LITE-BRITES are going to get two guys thrown in jail.

That's it, I'm going to Norway.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There are threads covering this in some of the other forums, but I know a lot of you don't get out much. I know, it's okay; it's scary out there, but even so, let's try to keep this more directed towards the technology aspect of this joke of a bomb scare. What the fuck, Boston?
    Thanks so much for being a patronizing douche. So do you expect us to talk about the technology involved in those or what?
    It's a board with some lights on it.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Don't forget the wires.

And the battery.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanks so much for being a patronizing douche. So do you expect us to talk about the technology involved in those or what?

It's a piece of cardboard with LEDs stuck in it.

It's advaaaaaanced.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    A veritable cornucopia of material to discuss!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    And the sinister appearance.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I might buy a LiteBrite and make some for my friends and I.

I wonder if [as] could get away with selling 'em after this?

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    043 wrote:

You have to make them say NEVAR FORGET, too.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think we can only draw one conclusion from this incident.

The terrorists have won.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    As if we needed to give the rest of the world MORE reasons to make fun of us. I thought that was the President's job.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Marlor wrote:

The terrorists have won.
    Terrorists to buy Nintendo within 5 years.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

It's advaaaaaanced.

When I was in the 11th grade, I made a mario game using C++ in my free time during comp sci. I didn't have an advance graphics library at school, only this really shitty library that would allow me to drae either 1) unfilled circles, 2) filled circles, 3)unfilled squares, or 4) filled squares.

I had all the logic down in my head, but no way to draw mario accurately until one day, while I wasn't paying attention during class, I thought about lightbright and had a eurika moment. I grabbed a piece of paper, drew a grid, pulled up a picture of a mario sprite, and made a map of the sprite. I.E. "First box empty, second box red square, third box red square, etc."

Then I programmed the game to draw filled boxes 1 px X 1 px big in a grid, and simply stored the images in code within the game executable.

Here it is, 5 years later, and I'm STILL using a techinique similar to this as the base of all my 2D games. My hats off to lightbright; I am forever in your debt.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hello America. Stop being so crazy okay?

Kisses,
    The World.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Marlor wrote:

The terrorists have won.

Their goal was to sow the seeds of paranoia. Apparently, Boston had a bumper crop.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    YardGnome wrote:
    043 wrote:

Just like these.
    athf_tshirt.jpg

link to the shirt

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

It's advaaaaaanced.

When I was in the 11th grade, I made a mario game using C++ in my free time during comp sci. I didn't have an advance graphics library at school, only this really shitty library that would allow me to drae either 1) unfilled circles, 2) filled circles, 3)unfilled squares, or 4) filled squares.

I had all the logic down in my head, but no way to draw mario accurately until one day, while I wasn't paying attention during class, I thought about lightbright and had a eurika moment. I grabbed a piece of paper, drew a grid, pulled up a picture of a mario sprite, and made a map of the sprite. I.E. "First box empty, second box red square, third box red square, etc."

Then I programmed the game to draw filled boxes 1 px X 1 px big in a grid, and simply stored the images in code within the game executable.

Here it is, 5 years later, and I'm STILL using a techinique similar to this as the base of all my 2D games. My hats off to lightbright; I am forever in your debt.

Your inspirational story could be an afterschool special / pseudocommercial.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If this thread goes under 50 posts a minute, it will explode!

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Axen wrote:
    YardGnome wrote:
    043 wrote:

Just like these. http://cgi.ebay.com/Mooninite-Aqua-Teen-Hunger-Force-L-T-Shirt-ATHF-LED-Ad_W0QQitemZ160081000738QQihZ006QQcategoryZ15687QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    I have to get one of those.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    At a news conference after the hearing, Stevens and Berdovsky stepped to the microphones and said they were taking questions only about 1970s hairstyles.
    :lol:

Seriously though, the Mayor, the Congressman, the Commissioner, the Assistant Attorney General... they're all over-reacting so much they're like parodies of politicians at this point. I can see suing the ad firm for the money it cost to take all these down, but to fucking charge two guys with felony counts? That's just shameless fucking pandering.

I hope to hell Turner or the ad agency that hired these guys is providing all their legal fees though.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Just like a C64 spritemaking grid.

I remember sitting in class designing sprites on grid paper back in my High School days. It was a similar principle.

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Marlor wrote:

I remember sitting in class designing sprites on grid paper back in my High School days. It was a similar principle.
    It's exactly the same principle.

Edit: Trim that link down, mister.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Marlor wrote:

Most old consoles stored their sprites like this.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Stuff like this makes my head hurt. I love humanity, I really do, but we're so goddamn stupid sometimes.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Marlor wrote:

I loved that. I also loved how the C64 came with a manual teaching you how to program in BASIC and make sprites like this. It even has blank templates that you can photocopy.

I miss the C64, it made independant development so easy :cry: .

rayofash on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    D&D has their Mooninite thread, and so does SE++.

I guess G&T was feeling left out.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:

I don't think we were.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

LOOK OUT IT'S A BOMB!
    HOLY SHIT NO!!

Oh, thank god, it's only a picture. You guys need to warn me if you're going to post pictures of bombs. Now I need to call DHS and tell them that terrorists had not, in fact, placed a bomb in my computer screen. Man, it'll be so embarrassing. I should sue you all for putting me through this.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Marlor wrote:

It's exactly the same principle.

Yeah, the only real difference is that sprites could only be a single colour (and adding up the pixel values for the C64 was a bitch).

Marlor on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:

LITE BRIGHT IS TECHNOLOGY!!1

TSR is doing his part to make this game-related, at any rate.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2ytr2Oyv4

Boston Press conference with the two guys in question. Hilarious.

Axen on
  • Options
    Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    At a news conference after the hearing, Stevens and Berdovsky stepped to the microphones and said they were taking questions only about 1970s hairstyles.
    :lol:

Seriously though, the Mayor, the Congressman, the Commissioner, the Assistant Attorney General... they're all over-reacting so much they're like parodies of politicians at this point. I can see suing the ad firm for the money it cost to take all these down, but to fucking charge two guys with felony counts? That's just shameless fucking pandering.

I hope to hell Turner or the ad agency that hired these guys is providing all their legal fees though.

"I'm sorry sir, thats not a hair question".

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If we got a call about something looking like that being found here in San Diego we would immediately close off the whole area, shut off all radios, and wait for bomb arson to respond with our robots and what not to dick with it for quite a few hours.

I know it looks funny and everyone here, with hindsight, laughs and says LOL ITS JUST A MOONINITE LOL!

But the city of Boston can't afford to take that risk, because if it WAS a bomb (had C4 or some shit inside of it, who knows) and blows up 17 kids or 5 police officers because they didn't take precautions, they have a much more hilarious news conference to make.

It's just the nature of the business, you can't take things for granted.

Still funny though.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Karrmer wrote:
    If we got a call about something looking like that being found here in San Diego we would immediately close off the whole area, shut off all radios, and wait for bomb arson to respond with our robots and what not to dick with it for quite a few hours.

I know it looks funny and everyone here, with hindsight, laughs and says LOL ITS JUST A MOONINITE LOL!

But the city of Boston can't afford to take that risk, because if it WAS a bomb (had C4 or some shit inside of it, who knows) and blows up 17 kids or 5 police officers because they didn't take precautions, they have a much more hilarious news conference to make.

Still funny though.

I'm torn between the obvious laugh at this and the fact that the police, ect really do need to be careful these days (I'm in NYC every day for work, honestly if I didn't know what it was, seening some random set of electronics piled together somewhere it shouldn't be would probably distrub me a little)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Karrmer wrote:

Still funny though.

But these things were already up for 3 weeks before anyone called them in as a bomb. Allegedly people called in about them before that because they were "offensive" what with the the dude giving everyone the finger and all. They were all over 8 or so other cities. I think it was Seattle, though I could be mistaken, they found out about them, but said the signs were okay unless they were on a municipal buildings.

At any rate I think this is a pretty good indicator of the age gap.

Also, people from Boston should stay outta Las Vegas if those little lite-bright signs put them in a panic.

Axen on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I find it funny that an actual bomb hoax happened at the same time.

Fake realistic looking Pipe-bombs found at the same time of the signs

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I find it funny that an actual bomb hoax happened at the same time.

Fake realistic looking Pipe-bombs found at the same time of the signs

I like how the real fake bombs caused far less of a scare.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm curious to see what Adult Swims ratings are going to be like now. Like they say, "theres no such thing as bad publicity."

Axen on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Last night [adult swim] aired bumps apologizing to Boston. I think it's fair to say that anyone watching [adult swim] will already find the situation humorous and not in need of an apology.

Atlus Parker on