As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeons] and the Keepers who love them.

DramDram Old SaltRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
So I came across Dungeons today on the featured items of steam. Unfortunately I can't find much more about it outside of Steam.
Could this possibly be what I think it is!? A spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/57650/
ss1bb23bfd3d6ead87e55e2.jpg

ss4b6b04099000ff8efe09b.jpg

Edit: By all current accounts, the game is a wolf dressed in sheep's clothing. Do NOT pay $40 for this if you're looking for a Dungeon Keeper successor.

Dram on

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heh, impressive that they managed to make a game that looks worse than DK2. I will be following it, but I am not optimistic.

Vic on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I absolutely loved DK... so I'm pretty excited for this!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I'm following it as well. My Dungeon Keeper fix nowadays is Dungeon Lords.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Even if this is just DK2 again, it has the advantage of actually running on modern systems still.

I'll likely get this.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vic wrote: »
    Heh, impressive that they managed to make a game that looks worse than DK2. I will be following it, but I am not optimistic.

Really, dawg?
    dkeeper2_790screen004.jpg

dungeon-keeper-2.jpg

I wouldn't call the graphics "awesome" so far, but definitely an improvement.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game is fully half the reason I'm upgrading my system.

Even if it's a shameless copy of Dungeon Keeper 2, I'll not feel cheated in paying $40 for it.

Kalypso has published some good games, and the only complaint I've been able to make about any of them is their games are slow. Which is a welcome diversion from the super-fast pace of most games today.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've always wanted to play the Dungeon Keeper games, but I had an easier time getting System Shock to run. Looking forward to this.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Those gates that are taller than the walls of the dungeon are really pissing me off.

I mean, what the fuck? Do they not know how a ceiling works? Or is this dungeon being built in ten feet of mud?

Garthor on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am excited about this.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Garthor wrote: »
    Those gates that are taller than the walls of the dungeon are really pissing me off.

I mean, what the fuck? Do they not know how a ceiling works? Or is this dungeon being built in ten feet of mud?

As far as I can tell, the dungeon is built only a few feet under the surface., which may explain it a little.

Dram on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Only thing that really stands out is the absurd quake 2 style coloured lighting. It looks bizarre.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    PaleCommanderPaleCommander Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »

As far as I can tell, the dungeon is built only a few feet under the surface., which may explain it a little.

I believe Dungeon Keeper 1 had the same interface convention of shortening the walls so you could see over them more easily as the player, like a further camera convention on top of turning the ceiling (which is also presumably present) invisible. I think it was an option that defaulted on in DK1, but then again I don't recall DK1 having camera control.

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm intrigued, but I never played Dungeon Keeper. What's to keep you from just dropping a ton of very difficult things on the hero straight off the bat? And is there a multiplayer "I try to kill the guy and he tries to get through the maze" kind of thing?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Think I'll just keep playing Dungeon Keeper 2 and wait till a Steam Sale for like marks it down to like $10.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm intrigued, but I never played Dungeon Keeper. What's to keep you from just dropping a ton of very difficult things on the hero straight off the bat? And is there a multiplayer "I try to kill the guy and he tries to get through the maze" kind of thing?

You can of course drop a ton of your minions or spells on top of any intruders into your dungeon, but only in YOUR dungeon. You can't drop anything on land that isn't yours. So if your imps break through into a new area, but get ambushed by heroes before they can claim it for you, then you have to get creative with how you deal with the heroes. Minion possession is one way to get around that obstacle.

Dram on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Only thing that really stands out is the absurd quake 2 style coloured lighting. It looks bizarre.

I kind of like it. It may just be aesthetically pleasing to me, but I also think it'd be a good way to differentiate areas/rooms and to avoid... monotony? I prefer style in a game like Dungeon Keeper. At least, that's one of the things that really drew me into Evil Genius, and it may work in this game's favor to go for that and solid gameplay.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    local flavor policelocal flavor police Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ohmygodohmygodohmygod

local flavor police on
    Steam: LocalFlavorPolice
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    One thing I reeeeeaally want in this game is the "voice." That was one of my favorite parts of the DK games.

"Your minions are getting hungry, they need a hatchery!"

Icemopper on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Only thing that really stands out is the absurd quake 2 style coloured lighting. It looks [strike]bizarre[/strike] awesome.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What's to keep you from just dropping a ton of very difficult things on the hero straight off the bat?

Because you don't start out with very difficult things right off the bat.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    One thing I reeeeeaally want in this game is the "voice." That was one of my favorite parts of the DK games.

"Your minions are getting hungry, they need a hatchery!"
    JACKPOT!

Dram on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    WOOWOOWOO!

mrt144 on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While I've been waiting for way too long for a Dungeon Keeper clone there's no way in hell I'm paying 45 Euro for it.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow, that looks hilariously like Dungeon Keeper.

Which, don't get me wrong, is one of my top three PC games of all time. But still.

They even give you a statue of Horny if you pre-order.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Well, there's basically a tech tree of sorts, so you wouldn't have that available at the start.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Visti wrote: »

Well, there's basically a tech tree of sorts, so you wouldn't have that available at the start.

Yeah, you start out with, like, weak minions who can mine, and the ability to build normal doors.

Then you get some orc-types, then you can raise dead creatures as skeletons, etc.

Words o'Doom are expensive, and don't come until later.

On a similar note, it's the same reason you don't beat the early levels in StarCraft by building nothing but Battlecruisers - not only can you not access them yet, but if you could, you couldn't afford them.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The great thing with Dungeon Keeper 2 (I never played the first, but I'm assuming it was the same) is that you didn't really have control of your dungeon. You couldn't just queue up six trolls and click build, or just throw down cannons and traps everywhere.

You had to build rooms and attractions to lure them there. You want an undead army of skeletons and vampires? You had to build a prison, capture some enemies, let them starve, then take their corpses to rot in the graveyard where their skeletons would rise to serve you. Vampire were lured only if you had a graveyard full of corpses. Doors and cannons were only built if trolls were actually in the forge building them, and that was only if you had lured them in the first place. More powerful spells had to be researched in the library by warlocks.

And the minions had minds of their own. Some would demand a fighting arena (which would attract another minion), some like to gamble, some captured, tortured and converted heroes needed their own sleeping quarters because they didn't like being quartered with evil minions. You could tell them to go fight somebody and drop them on a hero, but if the odds were against them, they'd flee and leave their comrades behind without a second thought.

It was truly a brilliant game.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Deadfall wrote: »
    The great thing with Dungeon Keeper 2 (I never played the first, but I'm assuming it was the same) is that you didn't really have control of your dungeon. You couldn't just queue up six trolls and click build, or just throw down cannons and traps everywhere.

You had to build rooms and attractions to lure them there. You want an undead army of skeletons and vampires? You had to build a prison, capture some enemies, let them starve, then take their corpses to rot in the graveyard where their skeletons would rise to serve you. Vampire were lured only if you had a graveyard full of corpses. Doors and cannons were only built if trolls were actually in the forge building them, and that was only if you had lured them in the first place. More powerful spells had to be researched in the library by warlocks.

And the minions had minds of their own. Some would demand a fighting arena (which would attract another minion), some like to gamble, some captured, tortured and converted heroes needed their own sleeping quarters because they didn't like being quartered with evil minions. You could tell them to go fight somebody and drop them on a hero, but if the odds were against them, they'd flee and leave their comrades behind without a second thought.

Dk1 wasn't too different, apart from graphics and monsters. You could have demon spawn and dragons, and horny wasn't summoned by a spell. Horned Demons were the ultimate monster you could get. You started the end level with 2 of them, and they were impossible to keep pleased. They'd run around killing the shit out of your own minions because they were bored. You had to keep them in their own separate lairs, behind a locked door, with their own hatcheries and training rooms. Honestly, I think DK1 was the superior game.

Dram on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow, this actually looks pretty sweet. if it's the same vein as DK and Evil Genius (*sighs dreamily*) I'm sold.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Dk1 wasn't too different, apart from graphics and monsters. You could have demon spawn and dragons, and horny wasn't summoned by a spell. Horned Demons were the ultimate monster you could get. You started the end level with 2 of them, and they were impossible to keep pleased. They'd run around killing the shit out of your own minions because they were bored. You had to keep them in their own separate lairs, behind a locked door, with their own hatcheries and training rooms. Honestly, I think DK1 was the superior game.

Biggest difference with 1 and 2 was that in 1 your monsters didn't play nice with each other. If you tried to house a fly in the same lair as a spider, chances are that fly's getting eaten next time you turn your back on them. Vampires and warlocks (IIRC) had the same kind of antagonistic relationship where if you weren't there to backhand them into behaving themselves they'd kill each other whenever they got the chance.

Nothing quite like picking up all your monsters to hold off the heroes only to find that most of them are half dead from pissing matches.

see317 on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in the 'want this but not sure if I $40 want it" boat with some of you.

captaink on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    captaink wrote: »

ditto

valiance on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sadly (for them), I think most people are in that boat.

Like I said in the Steam thread, I can't really justify to myself spending that much on a single player only, niche game without a lot of depth.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If Tropico 3 is any indicator, price drops won't take too long.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    valiance wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

ditto

Tritto. I'll probably end up waiting for an amazing Steam sale.

now if they put DK1 and DK2 in a pack, I'd gladly pay $40 for them!!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    see317 wrote: »

Biggest difference with 1 and 2 was that in 1 your monsters didn't play nice with each other. If you tried to house a fly in the same lair as a spider, chances are that fly's getting eaten next time you turn your back on them. Vampires and warlocks (IIRC) had the same kind of antagonistic relationship where if you weren't there to backhand them into behaving themselves they'd kill each other whenever they got the chance.

Nothing quite like picking up all your monsters to hold off the heroes only to find that most of them are half dead from pissing matches.

That's why I preferred DK 2. While it was funny, it was more often annoying. Without rivalries between monsters, you just needed to focus on keeping them happy and meeting your objective, and no chance of 'hey, I was over here planning a new room. Oh, hero attack. I'll just grab my WHYAREALLMYGUYSFUCKINGDEADINTHELAIR?'.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    see317 wrote: »

You could always throw monsters that were too mean/you hated back into the portal, and they'd eventually stop coming at all.

I did this with spiders, because fuck them

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There were spiders in DK?

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yes but they were pretty forgettable, as you can see.

captaink on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If there's no leather-clad dominatrix that I can tourture and spank around then no deal.

Mr.Sunshine on