As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA XIII: UFC FIGHT NIGHT 24: PHIL DAVIS V.S ROGERIO NOGUEIRA [GET HYPED]

• BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Being able to take a punch is one thing, Carwin has wrecking balls for fists. He also gets tired like he's actually swinging wrecking balls.

This.

Carwin's punches aren't like other guys' punches. Mir took over a round of Brock's punches. He ended up bloodied and bruised, but he was never out. Carwin OTOH dropped Mir like a sack of rocks.

It's not that Mir can't take a punch... from most HWs. But from Carwin? There's pretty much only Brock and his freakish neck that can absorb that kind of impact.

And Olav is 6-6, 220 lbs. He's not built like Brock, more like Kobe Bryant.

facetious wrote: »
    There are different ways to enjoy fights.

That fight was sloppy, sure. But both guys were giving it their all and trying to win. That's cool.

I can also enjoy slower-paced fights where both guys display tremendous technique. In fact I probably prefer those fights.

Garcia-KZ had grappling too. The sequence where KZ took Garcia's back was terrific.

BubbaT on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BubbaT wrote: »

That fight was sloppy, sure. But both guys were giving it their all and trying to win. That's cool.

I can also enjoy slower-paced fights where both guys display tremendous technique. In fact I probably prefer those fights.

Garcia-KZ had grappling too. The sequence where KZ took Garcia's back was terrific.
    I think you'll find this was the period of the fight where Garcia showed excellent control in putting KZ in a position where the poor zombie could not throw wild hooks with no chance of them landing.

815165 on
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Garcia-KZ had grappling too. The sequence where KZ took Garcia's back was terrific.[/QUOTE]
    That was one of my favorite parts of the fight, out of nowhere Zombie just attaches to Garcia's back gets him down, hits him in the face a few times and secures the body triangle. Then when Garcia trys to turn over into Zombie's guard he stands right back up.

I definitely agree the fight was sloppy but I love seeing fighters fight, especially when they fight to the bell. The crowd was going crazy, that wasn't a huge crowd on hand but they were LOUD. Also at the end there was a great display of sportsmanship which is awesome to see.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I recently stumbled across this, I thought some of you would appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzfQwXEqYaI

Oh and Jung was robbed, the judges were blind and what not. They be trollin', that fight was awesome up to the point they shat on it.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why the fuck has this Rebecca Black music video been posted in here twice already? Why have I seen it on Sherdog? What the fuck. I watched the first 48 seconds, and it was absolutely terrible. Is it some sort of joke, like rickrolling or something?

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Er, the one I posted is a parody, not the actual video. It was pretty much tailor made for your (and my own) sentiment, I couldn't sit through 30 seconds of the actual video and instead fast forwarded to the end where there is a practitioner of MMA in the video, IIRC. It really is one of the worst music videos I have ever seen and songs I have ever heard, I found something poking fun at it and thought you might appreciate that.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't feel bad, that video is just a huge meme at the moment, it'll be gone in a week or two.

I want to be excited to see Einemo in the UFC, but I really just feel bad for the guy. Carwin showed the major hole in his game against Brock, but he's just too heavy handed for someone with no recent fights. Einemo trains with Golden Glory, I think, so maybe he'll be ready for a striker with flash KO power, but even great grappling isn't going to be enough to get past Carwin without a solid gameplan or a diamond chin. Eh, it could be a good fight still, but it was stupid of Einemo to call out Carwin for his first fight in the UFC. I enjoy watching older guys with great technique testing up-and-comers, not so much seeing them get wrecked by a top 5 (UFC) guy. Carwin gets what should be an easy comeback fight at least, though no casual fan will give a fuck about the win, and really they'd probably be right not to.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I doubt Einemo gets the win, but I will cheer for him. Go go adopted nationality!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The fact that Einemo's 2003 win was against Roger Gracie makes me believe Carwin has a big problem on his hands if this goes to the ground. I don't care if it was 2003. It was Roger Gracie.

And as mentioned by duke, he trains out of Golden Glory. It's likely he has guys like Overeem swinging punches at him all day, er'day, full power. I think his stand up game will be better than people are predicting. I don't think he'll put Carwin away with a T(KO) or anything, but I'll bet his cardio and speed with be better and he'll use it to get Carwin on the ground eventually and tap him out.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited March 2011
    There are no hiding places on Meat Wednesday, it is true.

Einemo's bell will have been rung a time or two.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The fact that Einemo's 2003 win was against Roger Gracie makes me believe Carwin has a big problem on his hands if this goes to the ground. I don't care if it was 2003. It was Roger Gracie.

And as mentioned by duke, he trains out of Golden Glory. It's likely he has guys like Overeem swinging punches at him all day, er'day, full power. I think his stand up game will be better than people are predicting. I don't think he'll put Carwin away with a T(KO) or anything, but I'll bet his cardio and speed with be better and he'll use it to get Carwin on the ground eventually and tap him out.

Yeah he trains with Overeem. I've seen two different videos now where he's hanging out in the gym with Alistair

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • KweliKweli Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    815165 wrote: »
    I guess it's the same as that Matt Riddle kid getting a bonus for his great display of terrible, useless striking.

I laughed during the majority of that fight. I couldnt believe the combo's Matt Riddle was unleashing.... 2-3 inches away from his opponents face. hahahahhaha

Kweli on
  • NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    anyone know where i can find the salaries for ufc 128?

NargorothRiP on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's too early for them to have been published. It usually takes a few days to a few weeks.

adytum on
    edited March 2011

http://tinyurl.com/6l5r4sy

:D

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited March 2011
    Oop spoke too soon :X

adytum on
    edited March 2011
    Oop, I didn't speak too soon
    New Jersey's Athletic Commission doesn't release fighter pay info, so none of the following salary data for the event is official.

adytum on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm surprised Schaub is already making 90k.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited March 2011
    Neli wrote: »
    I'm surprised Schaub is already making 90k.

$10k base, $10 win bonus. Standard post-Ultimate Fighter contract.

$70k KOTN bonus.

So he's definitely not guaranteed $90k!

adytum on
    edited March 2011
    Fucking Shaub and his rabbit punches.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    poor chris camozzi got cut :/

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited March 2011
    Meh...it was certainly a bit silly that he got called on it so much that they took a point away.

But CroCop definitely didn't get knocked out by any rabbit punch. :D

ChillyWilly on
    edited March 2011
    Eh, I can do without.

Edit: True that, Willy. That was a clean hit and it turned Crocop into a sack of meat.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright, who's going to make the new OP in preparation for UFC Fight Night?

doug_grammar on
    edited March 2011
    I'll make one this evening if no one else is itching to take over the thread from your capable hands, doug.

ChillyWilly on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, it's still a bit early, but if you want to prepare right now go right ahead.

doug_grammar on
    edited March 2011
    Sirs, prepared to be impressed.

I have found an interview with Matt Hughes.

In this interview he does not come across as a dickhead.

DUN DUN DUN

Part one
    Part two

815165 on
    edited March 2011
    West Virginia is sanctioning MMA (whoo?) and NY is going to vote on it again this year.

adytum on
    edited March 2011
    For this Saturday, 5 prelim bouts will start airing on facebook at 7:30PM EST.

5!

adytum on
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    For this Saturday, 5 prelim bouts will start airing on facebook at 7:30PM EST.

5!

That is fucking awesome. Imagine a day when we can see all the fights live? That would be amazing

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
    edited March 2011
    Well, it's still a bit early, but if you want to prepare right now go right ahead.

I'll go ahead and start preparing one...probably won't post it until tomorrow night or Saturday morning. I'm not going to be in my house most of Saturday (probably right up until the Facebook fights start), so I'll definitely be putting it up before then.

Might go up tonight if I can work on it while watching The Wire. :D

ChillyWilly on
    edited March 2011
    If it doesn't involve the Genki bow picture I will push you down then hold you there for three five minute periods.

Signed, Jon Fitch.

815165 on
    edited March 2011
    If it doesn't involve the Genki bow picture I will push you down then hold you there for three five minute periods.

Signed, Jon Fitch.

Careful, Chilly does the jitz, he'll throw up a triangle at the last minute.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited March 2011
    I hear CW's BJJ belt is like a toy in a happy meal.

815165 on
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The latest video blog from DW has some interesting clips from the Ultimate Fighter tryouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqA1b9XcLeU

Sparvy on
    edited March 2011
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Signed, Jon Fitch.

My legs are too fat for triangles. :lol:

Also, new thread probably going up in the next hour or so. I started working on it saying, "Meh, I'll finish it later" but now I'm here 45 minutes later and I can't stop putting new things in the OP. So look for a link. :D

ChillyWilly on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Now that I think about it, I don't know if it even exists. I've not even seen it. :P

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Ryadic wrote: »

Now that I think about it, I don't know if it even exists. I've not even seen it. :P

Bitch, look at my pictures on Facebook.
    <3

ChillyWilly on
    edited March 2011
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Signed, Jon Fitch.

My legs are too fat for triangles. :lol:

Also, new thread probably going up in the next hour or so. I started working on it saying, "Meh, I'll finish it later" but now I'm here 45 minutes later and I can't stop putting new things in the OP. So look for a link. :D

What sort of submissions do you like? I think I recall you going for arm triangles in competitions?

I really like armdrags, though I can't say I'm any good at them. I like the idea maybe.

Here is a really good video from Daculino, a BJJ coach at a Gracie Barra gym in Texas. He breaks down every little part of the movement, there is a lot to learn from each motion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2RX5xQ56r8&feature=player_embedded

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited March 2011