As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Legend of Zelda: 25th Anniversary Thread - Landmark of the Greatest Gaming Series

1686970717274»

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Qingu wrote:
    Plot spoilers:
    Skyloft is apparently HUGE, with a full-blown residential quarter, the bazaar we've seen in other trailers, and the plaza areas we've gotten glimpses of which has the Goddess Statue at their center. There's also a bath-house and even a toilet!
    Crossing fingers for a disembodied hand that asks for paper.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    Gameplay spoilers talk:
    I love that the HUD can be nearly invisible. That is awesome.

...that's it really. This game is going to be transcendent.

• Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    I would rank OoT's Ganon battle as #1 just for lead-in and atmosphere alone. in particular the lack of any subtitle for him was a particularly brilliant move that made him feel all the more threatening. The fight itself wasn't particularly amazing, but the setting, feel of the fight, and the fact that it's still the only time we've battled Ganon as Ganon in 3D to me have it atop the list.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Chris FOM wrote:
    and the fact that it's still the only time we've battled Ganon as Ganon in 3D to me have it atop the list.

Well, that isn't necessarily true. Concerning the Twilight Princess endgame:

Much like in Ocarina of Time there are the different phases but here they are reversed. Of course first you fight possessed Zelda but after that, you do fight Ganon. Now you don't fight Ganon as Link in human form and fight him in the wolf form instead, so there is that distinction. I really liked the presentation for Ganon though, and of course, the sword fight with Ganondorf soon after that.

Climbing down Ganon's Tower in Ocarina of Time to get to that fight though, hell yeah. That was a really badass moment.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Playing TP again recently along with the rest of the 3D Zeldas. It has bar none the best bosses so far in the series.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote:
    Qingu, you must have the willpower to look away.

It is not too late!
    Man I haven't had any Zelda-related willpower since 1998.

• Options
    Chris FOM wrote:
    I would rank OoT's Ganon battle as #1 just for lead-in and atmosphere alone. in particular the lack of any subtitle for him was a particularly brilliant move that made him feel all the more threatening. The fight itself wasn't particularly amazing, but the setting, feel of the fight, and the fact that it's still the only time we've battled Ganon as Ganon in 3D to me have it atop the list.
    I also liked that Ganon did 5 hearts damage.

I believe he does 1 heart in WW, 1/2 heart in TP? Pfft.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Playing TP again recently along with the rest of the 3D Zeldas. It has bar none the best bosses so far in the series.

Heh. I'm replaying it too. It's funny, I'm nearly done with the game and I found myself thinking that the bosses are really underwhelming.

They look nice, and their introductions are cool, but they're incredibly easy and over really quickly. Most of the bosses can be killed in something like 1 minute or less.

The exception being the Spinner boss, which is totally and completely awesome and a highlight for the entire series.

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    I'm gonna get crucified for asking, but will Skyward Sword be playable with Wavebird or Classic? Because that really is the difference between me buying and not buyIng. I'm the guy who sold the Wii version of Twilight Princess and beat the Gamecube version because I hate the waggle so much. I know the Motion Plus is supposed to be better and all that but I really don't care.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    You're SOL on this one.

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    it's been five years broseph, time to embrace the waggle.

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Ah, well. I have too much on my holiday gaming list anyways.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    In Four Swords, do you only get the medallion if you're playing multiplayer? I guess it would make sense, as it's not a challenge in any way to get the most rupees when playing singleplayer.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Sagroth wrote:
    I'm gonna get crucified for asking, but will Skyward Sword be playable with Wavebird or Classic? Because that really is the difference between me buying and not buyIng. I'm the guy who sold the Wii version of Twilight Princess and beat the Gamecube version because I hate the waggle so much. I know the Motion Plus is supposed to be better and all that but I really don't care.
    Based on the demo reviews I've read, saying SS's motionplus controls are "better" than TP's waggle is a huge understatement.

I mean, some people enjoy TP's waggle. But (1) they were demonstrably tacked on, (2) they are less precise than simply pressing a button, and most importantly, (3) Twilight Princess' gameplay was designed around pressing a button to swing a sword. The most you could say about waggle was that it was an entertaining gimmick.

Whereas virtually everyone who has played the SS demo has said the motionplus controls are a huge step up not just for Zelda combat but for action gaming in general. They make combat more challenging and more interesting than button-based controls could be. Aside from Wii Sports resort, which I understand was pretty shallow, there hasn't actually been a full-fledged exploration of motion-based combat until Skyward Sword.

Edit: and it's not just for the sword! The best thing about playing TP on the Wii is you get to use the wand to aim your clawshots. In the later levels, this just feels awesome. And I think everyone is sort of hoping/expecting that SS will invent even awesomer items that take advantage of motion controls (beyond the beetle and bomb-bowling) like wizard wand-dueling.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Just realized this is coming out in the middle of NaNoWriMo. I'm so boned.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    By tradition I cook an elaborate Thanksgiving feast for my family every year. I told them I couldn't do it this year. And I took 3 days off work.

Qingu on
  • Options
    There is no point in comparing Twilight Princess' "waggle to emulate pressing a button" to Skyward Sword's "it's like you are actually swinging a sword".

They are completely different. If you haven't played Wii Sports Resort, with its Motion Plus sword fighting game, please give it a try. That or Red Steel 2 will give you an idea of what to expect.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote:
    NaNoWriMo?

National Novel Writing Month

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

• Options
    Nanowrimo = National Novel Writing Month. You commit yourself to writing a 50,000 word novel in November.

VERY DIFFICULT to do in years when a new Zelda game comes out.

• Options
    I fully anticipate that my novel's protagonist will spend several chapters stuck in a mysterious water-themed labyrinth.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    Sweet, Four Swords just went up on the eShop

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    I fully anticipate that my novel's protagonist will spend several chapters stuck in a mysterious water-themed labyrinth.

Just combine the water and ice-themed labyrinths into one. It'll save time.

• Options
    The Link's Awakening level in Four Swords Anniversary is so good.

• Options
    Someone snatched a video from the (Spanish version of the) game's intro. Spoilerific, of course.
    Very pretty watercolory-painting of a bunch of demons and fire, headed by a creature that looks quite a bit like pig-Ganon. Text (translated):

1 – This is a story passed down by the people since time immemorial. (Fi speaking)
    2 – The history of the most cruel and ferocious battle ever seen.
    3 – From the bowels of the earth emerged the pure essence of evil.
    4 – His brutal attack plunged people into their worst nightmares.
    5 – The evil forces razed forests, dried up rivers and murdered relentlessly.
    6 – They desired that which the Goddess protected, ultimate power.
    7 – Absolute power… In other words…

The head Ganonoid demon is surrounded by some other dudes. One of them is clearly Ghirahim. Another guy is wearing what looks like a mask. There's four or six of them altogether. So it seems that Ghirahim is perhaps only one of several humanoid arch-minions in the game ... which would mean even an even greater variety of awesome sword duels. I am thinking of the devils of Kimon from Ninja Scroll.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Four Swords is out in the Americas!

RockinX on
  • Options
    The Hero's Trial is a new addition to Four Swords, right? I don't remember it from when I originally played it.

Either way, it is hard.

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    wooo, if only I had someone to play it with.

single is still kinda fun, I guess

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Words cannot express how much more fun the flying mechanic looks than the trains in Spirit Tracks.
    Jumping off of cliffs, shooting into the air, skydiving into the places you want to get to. And there's even a "I want to do crap really fast" button for ground travel. It looks like all my hopes that the Minish Cap awesomeness would rub off on this game have come true. And even the digging mitts are back! I loved those things!

But yeah, preordered the silly golden wiimote bundle since I don't have a Motion Plus controller yet.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    dannsalikdannsalik Registered User new member
    happy anniversary ...

• Options
    dannsalik wrote:
    happy anniversary ...

I've seen over the past few days that this year also marks the 25th year anniversaries for both Metroid and Castlevania. Not sure if Metroidvanias have hit any particular cornerstone though.

Additionally, the N64 and of course Super Mario 64 are hitting their 15 year celebrations. Sort of surprised no threads have popped up about any of these yet.

• Options
    What the fuck?

• Options
    RandomEngy wrote:
    Words cannot express how much more fun the flying mechanic looks than the trains in Spirit Tracks.
    Jumping off of cliffs, shooting into the air, skydiving into the places you want to get to. And there's even a "I want to do crap really fast" button for ground travel. It looks like all my hopes that the Minish Cap awesomeness would rub off on this game have come true. And even the digging mitts are back! I loved those things!
    Spoiler about what else you apparently do on the birds...
    FIGHT GIANT FLYING MONSTERS LIKE SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS

But yeah, flying on the back of a bird or a dragon in general has been like my #2 ultimate fantasy ever since I was a kid and saw "The Neverending Story."

My number one ultimate fantasy is, as it happens, to have awesome realistic swordfights.

I just beat Twilight Princess again and that last fight was so much damn fun. I am literally jumping up and down in anticipation of swordfighting in SS.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Downloaded 4 Swords. Now to find some friends who won't throw me into pits.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    I absolutely loved everything about the sailing, but I seem to be in the minority in this. It gave me a better sense of adventure than any other Zelda game.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    ... Did this thread horribly glitch for anyone else?

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
  • Options
    Why the fuck is page 60 suddenly page 1?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
This discussion has been closed.