As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Legend of Zelda: 25th Anniversary Thread - Landmark of the Greatest Gaming Series

RehabRehab Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
ssimage.png

skywardswordboxartgoldw.jpg

Skyward Swords Release Now Less Than Two Months Away!

FUCK YEAH!

skywardswordbesteverhea.jpg <- Clicky

bzeapart1.png
bzeapart2.png

Tweets have revealed that the game will be 50-100 hours, perhaps Nintendo's biggest project ever, and (not really spoilers but just in case...)
there will be a second playthrough of some sort and also boss rush.
Peewi wrote:
New Skyward Sword videos from Comic Con. Spoilers, obviously...but not extremely major ones, I think.

Gametrailers offscreen 1 - boss intro, fight and outro
Gametrailers offscreen 2 - bird riding contest

Direct feed 1 - boss battle from above (longer, shows the whole fight)
Direct feed 2 - spiders and Stalfos (if you want to avoid spoilers, this is the best to watch...amazing music)
Direct feed 3 - puzzle gameplay, continuing from direct feed 2
What did I say when we found out about the sky school. What did I say! Harry Potter Zelda. And here we have Link chasing after a golden snitch.

Ghirahim is incredibly freaky. Seems...I don't know, bold of Nintendo to go that direction with a character.

Seriously the orchestrated music in the Youtube videos is AMAZING. So atmospheric.

gameinformer.png

sZRrI.jpg
gEolc.jpg
RZa2Y.jpg
IfvOn.jpg
hnNFH.jpg
3Mdj8.jpg
r3LFK.jpg

Click for Zelda awesomeness of the Ocarina of Time 3D variety.

The Legend of Zelda Anniversary and Appreciation Thread

thelegendofzeldabanner.png

The Legend of Zelda Games

270ii.jpg271dy.jpg
zelda1g.png

zelda2.png

272ds.jpg
linktothepast.png

273km.jpg
linksawakening.png

274dw.jpg275jt.jpg
ocarinaoftimei.png
smask.png

276e.jpg
agesandseasons.png

277py.jpg
fourswords.png

278ox.jpg279xu.jpg
windwaker.png
fourswordsadventures.png

280g.jpg
minishcap.png

281e.jpg
twilightprincess.png

282ko.jpg283l.jpg
phantomhourglass.png
spirittracks.png

82151180.jpg
skywardsword.png

Artwork and other media:

The February 2010 issue of the Japanese gaming magazine Nintendo Dream came packaged with a 100-page Zelda art book, featuring artwork from the original Legend of Zelda all the way through Spirit Tracks. I’m happy to announce that we at ZeldaPower have the full book scanned and uploaded for your viewing pleasure!

Nintendo Dream Zelda Art Book

page001thumb.jpg page002thumb.jpg

zeldamural.png

NNID: Rehab0
Rehab on

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The Music of The Legend of Zelda:

Courtesy of Foefaller and Jave
    Courtesy of BTP, Rinzler, and plufim

My Top 12 Zelda Bosses

top12zeldabosses.png

My Top 3 Zelda Mini Games

swampshootinggallery.jpg
    Shooting Galary - Located in the swamp in Majora's Mask

bombchubowlingalley1lar.jpg
    Bombachu Bowling - Located in Hyrule Castle in Ocarina of Time

starsminigame.png
    STARS - Located in Hyrule Town in Twilight Princess

fishinge.jpg
    And of course everyone loves . . . fishing!

Other Appearances by Zelda Characters

soulcaliburiigamecube43.jpggueststarring232998.jpg

smashbrosseries.png

614093linkscrossbowtrai.jpgcrossbowtraining.png

Forumer Contributions and Collections

189uk.jpg

1UP is now competing with IGN for coverage of the The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary so I thought I would post the various articles and links to videos and podcasts from their extravaganza here. Clicking on the above image leads to the main page and each of the following images leads to their respective pages.

195j.jpg

194e.jpg

355lh.jpg

199ek.jpg

198ol.jpg

197m.jpg

200kg.jpg

193pa.jpg

344am.jpg

343tz.jpg

Discuss! Oh, and lets try to keep the futile arguments of the Zelda timeline to a minimum just for the sake of the threads collective sanity. What are you going to do to celebrate 25 years of Zelda? I think I'm going to play through Twilight Princess again (third time, whoo!) as I actually just played through A Link to the Past again recently. Those two games, incidentally, are also my two favorite games in the series as it stands thus far. We need not argue over which game is the best here though. Share your own opinions and rejoice that the Zelda series will be with us for many many years to come.

And the game I'm looking to forward to the most this year: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Easily. Also really really looking forward to playing through The Ocaina of Time again though, in 3D!

Also: HySpace is awesome

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I still haven't played Majora's Mask, because the idea of a constant time limit, and the game being, like, all sidequests intimidates me. How justified am I in this?

(Also I'd have to move stuff around on the Wii to make room)

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game.

That is all.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A Link to the Past is the greatest game ever.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Link's Awakening has the saddest ending.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I remember getting a SNES with Link to the Past for my birthday when I was younger. The game blew me away at the time and I think it still does.

Then of course there is the infamous moment of leaving the forest in OoT and seeing Hyrule Field stretch out into the distance.

I love Zelda and thanks to this thread I think I need to pick one to play through again.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    aLttP is one of the reasons why the Super Nintendo is still the best console of all time.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Legend of Zelda was such a huge part of my childhood; I wish the new entries in the series did anything at all for me. The last game I enjoyed was Windwaker.

I hate to say it, I guess, but I just don't like the Wii, and it ruins the experience for me. I've tried to sit down and play Twilight Princess twice, but I hate the controls. The new Skyward Sword title looks pretty terri-bad to me, as well: I'm simply not interested in holding the wii-mote over my head and swinging it just to throw a bomb; I don't want to use it like a bow and arrow; I don't want to swing and jab it like a sword.

What's wrong with just pushing a button? Was the controller really such a barrier that people couldn't enjoy their games? I didn't think so.

Anyway, I'm really excited about Zelda's 25th Anniversary; I just wish the series still did anything for me.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I still haven't played Majora's Mask, because the idea of a constant time limit, and the game being, like, all sidequests intimidates me. How justified am I in this?

Majora's Mask may actually be my favorite Zelda game. It's basically Ocarina of Time, but set in an alternate universe; what's not to like? It's a whole lot of fun, anyway.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a hard time saying if link to the past or minish cap is my favorite.

because goddamn do I love both of those. they are closely followed by the n64 games though either way

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    milk ducks wrote: »
    The Legend of Zelda was such a huge part of my childhood; I wish the new entries in the series did anything at all for me. The last game I enjoyed was Windwaker.

I hate to say it, I guess, but I just don't like the Wii, and it ruins the experience for me. I've tried to sit down and play Twilight Princess twice, but I hate the controls. The new Skyward Sword title looks pretty terri-bad to me, as well: I'm simply not interested in holding the wii-mote over my head and swinging it just to throw a bomb; I don't want to use it like a bow and arrow; I don't want to swing and jab it like a sword.

What's wrong with just pushing a button? Was the controller really such a barrier that people couldn't enjoy their games? I didn't think so.

Anyway, I'm really excited about Zelda's 25th Anniversary; I just wish the series still did anything for me.

Buy the Gamecube version of twilight princess.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gonna try to beat some of the old handeld Zeldas I never got around to before SS comes out.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not very. You get a notebook to keep track of your sidequests and the limited time thing only really hurts at the very start of the game. After you gain the ability to reset, slow and speed up time the whole thing becomes a lot more manageable.

The biggest problem is that Majora's Mask enjoys tearing your heart out over and over again.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Majora's Mask is certainly the "darkest" title in the series, in my opinion; that's one of the reasons I like it.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A Link to the Past is still my favorite game of all time. There's just SO MUCH in that tiny cartridge. The dark world, upgrading your sword all the way, finding the hidden fairies, doing the dungeons out of order, that sense of "this is a huge world, and I get to explore the entire thing" was just outstanding.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Coincidence! I just started up Spirit Tracks.

Renzo on
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Renzo wrote: »
    Coincidence! I just started up Spirit Tracks.

Shit! I still need to finish that. I took a long break when I reached the final dungeon (I think, but they could make another plot twist) and now I'm fucking lost. Every time I have tried to finish it I gave up, because I couldn't remember what I had done to get there, and what to do to move on.

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Last time I started it up I couldn't get past the temple with like a hundred cannons mounted on it. Fuck that shit.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game.
    Absolutely, I've played through it so many times, and I almost never play through games multiple times.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I belive the OP is missing something...

...and that something is... the song...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    How many people that had internet around Ocarina's release visited The Odyssey of Hyrule?

That guy was dedicated

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    How many people that had internet around Ocarina's release visited The Odyssey of Hyrule?

That guy was dedicated

salvaged version:
    http://vgchat.info/vgx/

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    To add to the list of music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AQW7npeDl8

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    This thread is sorely lacking in:
    The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20The%20Faces%20of%20Evil.jpg
    The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20The%20Wand%20of%20Gamelon.jpg
    Zelda_adventure_box.jpg

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I admit that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were the only Zelda games I never finished.

Just could not enjoy those games. Probably the over-reliance on the touch screen and repeated trips to a central dungeon.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Legend of Zelda franchise is easily, and I mean like with no competition in view anywhere behind it, my favorite franchise is gaming.

I cannot fucking wait for Skyward Sword and, to marginally lesser extent, OoT 3DS.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ocarina of Time 3DS is literally the only reason I preordered a 3DS. Yes, $300 is a fine price to carry my favorite game of all time around in my pocket.

I'm surprised Nintendo isn't rolling out some compilation for Wii or DS or something. I guess OoT 3D and Skyward Sword are enough Zelda to be working on in one year. Oh, and not to forget Link's Awakening on the E-shop, can't wait for that.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Graviija wrote: »
    The Legend of Zelda franchise is easily, and I mean like with no competition in view anywhere behind it, my favorite franchise is gaming.

I cannot fucking wait for Skyward Sword and, to marginally lesser extent, OoT 3DS.

I finished both of them, but neither one was really all that great.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Here's my updated/nearly complete Zelda theme for Android:

Screenshots
    screenshot_15.pngscreenshot_14.pngscreenshot_13.png
    Sounds
    Email Notification 1
    Google Voice Notification
    Voicemail Notification
    Email Notification 2
    Other Notifications
    Watchdog Alert
    Twitter Notification
    One of many Ringtones
    Hryule Morning Theme, used for Alarm
    Phone Unlock
    Phone Lock

Also note that the Termina clock on the main Home screen is a widget available on the Android Market, is a fully-functional clock, and may soon feature artwork by our own forum-mate mntorankusu.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I, uh...what? You finished Skyward Sword?

Graviija on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Clearly he meant to quote CyborgZeta.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I, uh...what? You finished Skyward Sword?
    Sounds like it was a reply to the post about Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

The Legend of Zelda is one of my definitive most-beloved franchises ever. I don't always play every iteration of the game but I do respect each version. For a while, I saw it as the franchise with the least amount of spin-offs (i.e. every game had to be a complete story and play experience) and the least potential for them to be generated. By now that's changed, but even still the newer games haven't forgotten how to be one complete adventure.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

When you hear someone who doesn't like the game talk about it, you hear that it has a constant time limit and too much of the content is sidequests, and it's fine if you don't like it for those reasons, but hearing about that is going to make you think the whole game is a constant race against the clock to help people with random crap.

The bulk of the game is still the main quest, and most of that won't involve racing against the clock-- if you learn a new song, or collect a new item, that progress is saved when you go back in time and from that point, getting back to where you were is no problem. Because of this, you'll usually be able to avoid repeating the whole of anything related to the main quest because of the time limit.

For example, if you reach the entrance of a new dungeon (by going through a long quest to learn a song that opens it up, for example), you can then immediately go back to the first day, teleport to the entrance of the dungeon, play the song, play the Inverse Song of Time (to slow time down), and you'll have plenty of time to complete the whole dungeon. If you still don't manage to complete it, but you did manage to collect the dungeon's item, you can rapidly make progress (and skip many parts) by using it from the start.

Basically-- play it, and see if you like it. If you do like it, you'll like it a lot.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can't wait to play Skyward Sword and replay Ocarina of Time in 3D as most of you are feeling. I'm hoping Nintendo does something for the 25th anniversary of Zelda like they did for Mario with the All-Stars release for the Wii.

Has there been any word if Ocarina of Time 3D will include Master Quest? I'm assuming it won't, but would be ecstatic if it did, as somehow my gamecube disc went missing a while back. I still have the case, but the disc is gone, and I don't know how as I always put my games back in their original cases when I switch games. So that annoyed me.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Obligatory:

215213346_5iqJ3-L-2.jpg

Probably still one of my favorite Penny Arcades. Such an obvious joke, but executed perfectly.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow, I did not remember that strip, but it is perfect.

I'd hate to commit myself and say Wind Waker is my favorite LoZ, but it is really close.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

When you hear someone who doesn't like the game talk about it, you hear that it has a constant time limit and too much of the content is sidequests, and it's fine if you don't like it for those reasons, but hearing about that is going to make you think the whole game is a constant race against the clock to help people with random crap.

The bulk of the game is still the main quest, and most of that won't involve racing against the clock-- if you learn a new song, or collect a new item, that progress is saved when you go back in time and from that point, getting back to where you were is no problem. Because of this, you'll usually be able to avoid repeating the whole of anything related to the main quest because of the time limit.

For example, if you reach the entrance of a new dungeon (by going through a long quest to learn a song that opens it up, for example), you can then immediately go back to the first day, teleport to the entrance of the dungeon, play the song, play the Inverse Song of Time (to slow time down), and you'll have plenty of time to complete the whole dungeon. If you still don't manage to complete it, but you did manage to collect the dungeon's item, you can rapidly make progress (and skip many parts) by using it from the start.

Basically-- play it, and see if you like it. If you do like it, you'll like it a lot.

I still haven't really played it, but I watched my friend play it all the way through.

It was still extremely annoying. We'd be making lots of progress, things going great, and then we have to endure 10 to 15 minutes of time management and warping around every few hours. Waste of time. Same sort of waste of time as constant uneventful sailing for 5 minutes, despite how much I like Wind Waker.

You never get a good rush out of it, like "oh my god only 10 minutes left, I sure hope I have time to beat this boss, how exciting!" It's always "dammit, now we have to warp out and go all the way back through the dungeon again, this sucks."

It really needed songs of Freeze Time and Unfreeze Time. I doubt anyone would complain.

We also used a guide to accomplish everything, and I can tell I would've been really annoyed trying to figure a lot of that out on my own. Lots of situations where it was apparent you were supposed to follow a specific person around for all three days just to see where they would be at a specific time.

I will say that I liked how alive the town felt with all the random people going about their business, but ultimately that aspect wasn't that much better than any other Zelda.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, lets not forget the amazing animated series!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdYKBRcpJHk

:)

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It would be great if they made a Zelda that looked like the artwork in the first Zelda manual.

http://zs.ffshrine.org/legend-of-zelda/english-instruction-manual-scans.php

Krathoon on
This discussion has been closed.