As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Landlady getting Foreclosed on

KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So my landlady has been getting mail at the house (she refuses to forward mail to her new location in California) from ReconTrust over the past week. The mail thing was pretty annoying for a while, but ReconTrust set off some red flags, cause apparently they're Bank of America's foreclosure mill.

I also saw this in the paper last week:
-SNIP-

And ReconTrust sent a "To Current Occupant" thing as well with the same contents, which also had a "Notice of Default" paper.

So yeah, looks like it's apartment hunting time. I'm getting stuff out, my roommate left already, etc etc.

I know that I have 90 days from the date of foreclosure -- my question is, what is the date of the foreclosure? When they posted that in the paper? 6/20/11 when it goes up for auction? When they put something on the house?

Is it possible they already did, and the landlord ripped it off before she left?

I could also rent from the bank or whatnot, or maybe make a funny offer on the house at auction...

I guess my question is -- anyone here familiar enough with foreclosure to know when I should be out, other than "as soon as possible?"

(As an aside: Yes, the paper does say they haven't paid the mortgage in 2 and a half years. Any wonder why we have a housing bubble?)

KiTA on

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are you still paying rent?

I'd call the bank/company and talk to them about it. They must run into this frequently.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Are you still paying rent?

I'd call the bank/company and talk to them about it. They must run into this frequently.

I called the bank, they tried to explain that as a bank, they have the right to claim any private property they want at any time as long as it's near a house they're foreclosing on. Then the nice lady admitted she wasn't in the foreclosure dept and didn't really KNOW, but they're the bank. Don't mess with them. Or something.

Over the 3 or 4 times I've called they've basically said "get out ASAP and don't pay any more rent."

I'm paid up until the end of this month + 1 month's rent as a deposit. If I'm going to pay any more I need to do so in the next week. I'd like to try and ride it all out until May, when the apartments near the college open and I won't need to worry about exams. If she no longer has the power to evict me, however, I fully intend to not pay her a dime -- it's fairly obvious in hindsight that she was skipping town.

My roommate was also pretty interested in something called Cash for Keys, I think one of the reasons he left is because the bank pointed out that since he's not on the lease, it doesn't matter how loud he is at the bank, they're not giving him anything.

KiTA on
  • Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The landlady has no power to evict you. Do not give her any money.

North on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Cash for keys" is only something you see when the person being foreclosed on actually lives in the dwelling. Basically it's the bank saying "If you don't destroy the inside of this house which we're taking from you, we'll give you money to get out and not fight us." Don't send any more rent to the landlord, she's no longer the owner. Don't send rent to the bank, because you don't have a lease agreement with them. If they do succeed at selling it at auction and you do want to continue living there, you'd have to come up with a lease agreement with the new owner. The date of foreclosure would be the date they took legal possession of the house from your landlord, you'd have to check with the bank to find that out.

Also, you're most likely not going to see your security deposit again, unfortunately. The bank isn't legally obligated to return it to you, as they didn't collect it. You'd have to go after the former landlord in small claims court.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the foreclosure date would be the date the foreclosure is completed, which would be the date of the trustee's sale. Until then she's still the title-holder (owner) and since she's in a rental agreement with you I don't see why shoe wouldn't be able to evict you if you broke terms.

That said if she's an out of town deadbeat maybe she won't bother as the eviction process usually takes a couple months even if you're on top of your shit and does incur out of pocket expense.

As to when to move out, you'll want to do that before the locks get changed out and all the possessions inside get taken. I'm not sure when that happens in the proceedings (e.g. date of auction?, or maybe there must be a formal eviction process of any residents?), and if your status as a tenant changes anything.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So that confirms one thing -- I did the right thing in ignoring the landlady's calls. The roommate called her and ripped her apart when he finally got ahold of someone at ReconTrust or Bank of America or wherever, which prompted like 6 angry voicemails from her of progressive desperation during my Physics Exam.

So, just ignore her and move out ASAP, right? Am I in danger of coming home to find the doors being locked shut or something?

KiTA on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Some states will require the bank to honor your lease, but the bank may be unaware that the property even has a tenant if they have been unable to contact your landlady.

It is unlikely that you owe the landlady any money at this point, but I would contact the bank ASAP and find out what the situation is.

[Edit]
    nm, you did contact the bank. Yeah, if you're paid up, and your lease is up: I'd say get out.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You might want to contact a lawyer but since it appears you live in Idaho you should check out: http://www.ag.idaho.gov/publications/consumer/LandlordTenant.pdf

It has a section on foreclosures that outlines your rights as a tenant in this case. The bank may very well not be aware of these laws or may choose to try not to care. I would read it though before you make any drastic choices.

Note that I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Just helpful googeling.

giltanis on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is my specialty, I work with homeowners who are facing foreclosure and foreclosure sales are, specifically, my area of greatest expertise.

As always in these threads, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to work through some of this crap.

I'd also advise that you take down that notice in the OP. You don't need that plastered on the internet. I'll have to wait until I'm back in my office tomorrow to get specifics about process, as everything is very state-to-state.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm just going from memory from when I last researhed the foreclosure process. There's this period between the oener defaulting and some time before the sale (a week? 10 days? probably varies by locality) wherein the owner can work out something with the lender or just pay off the note entirely, in which case the foreclosure proceedings would halt. So I wouldn't think the locks would be changed and all that until that period has expired.

But if you're asking "how long can I live here rent free without risk?", I'm not sure how good an answer I could give you.

She's the only one who could evict you right now (or next month or whenever) should you decide to stop paying rent. Should she elect not to, well that's indefinite to me. Changing out the locks and impounding the possessions is going to cost someone money, so I'd think it'd be the new title holder who'd initiate those proceedings.

Basically I was thinking of it as if I was owner and occupant and being foreclosed on. I'd expect to be able to occupy the house until it was sold to someone else, and then they'd have to go through the eviction process to force me out.

Djeet on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do you just pick like the worst living situations ever?

And I'm not familiar with foreclosures, so maybe there's a good reason for this, but if you still plan to try to live in the house till May, why wouldn't you pay the landlady anything?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kita,

Move into an actual apartment, with an actual lease, and if you need roommates make sure they are actual human beings. If I'm remembering correctly this is the third or fourth "Help guys, my extremely shady living arrangements have gone to shit" thread you've made in the past year.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Kita,

Move into an actual apartment, with an actual lease, and if you need roommates make sure they are actual human beings. If I'm remembering correctly this is the third or fourth "Help guys, my extremely shady living arrangements have gone to shit" thread you've made in the past year.

No, that's not accurate. I had a thread a few years back when my buddy Darren moved out in a hurry and I had no idea what to do (having never rented or lived on my own), which I unwisely chose to bump when my living situation a few years later got weird and I felt the need to vent. This one hasn't gone sour, but I've gained enough life experience to see it going south, really quickly, in the next few weeks/months. (And yeah, this situation wasn't perfect, but it got me out of a shittier one, so...)

And yeah, that's my current plan, an apartment next to the school. The problem is that until the end of term (May) everything's kinda packed, and I'm trying to figure out if I have to get a not-perfect lease right now, or hold out for a really good one in a month or two.

KiTA on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is going to sound like weird advice, but:

Don't move out prior to the foreclosure. Because of the common occurrence of this situation, most banks run a "cash for keys" program. Generally they'll give you several hundred to a couple thousand dollars to vacate when served with notice, if you do so in a timely manner and don't trash the place on the way out the door.

Also, holy shit, dude, stop living in shady places.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    This is going to sound like weird advice, but:

Don't move out prior to the foreclosure. Because of the common occurrence of this situation, most banks run a "cash for keys" program. Generally they'll give you several hundred to a couple thousand dollars to vacate when served with notice, if you do so in a timely manner and don't trash the place on the way out the door.

There's a definite chance of getting some cash out of this through this process. Set something up for July (June FC, right?) but there's no reason to go running if you know what's up. There's actually a good chance of coming out, financially, on the top of this situation. I've seen it and facilitated similar previous through my work (and I've personally handled over 2k individual foreclosure cases from borrower-side).

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    (June FC, right?)

I don't know. My roommate says the FC was in January, which is why he says he's moving out -- but I'm not sure I trust his sources. The only date I know of is June 20, 2011, which is the auction. I've been told the auction is just the tail end of things.

Someone pointed out the landlady might be intentionally defaulting so a company can buy the house at auction and re-sell it to her immediately. Kinda like Ghetto Warping in FF11 -- sure, you take a penalty, but you get further ahead in the long run.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    (June FC, right?)

I don't know. My roommate says the FC was in January, which is why he says he's moving out -- but I'm not sure I trust his sources. The only date I know of is June 20, 2011, which is the auction. I've been told the auction is just the tail end of things.

Someone pointed out the landlady might be intentionally defaulting so a company can buy the house at auction and re-sell it to her immediately. Kinda like Ghetto Warping in FF11 -- sure, you take a penalty, but you get further ahead in the long run.

Ah, yes. The "Foreclosure" most likely began in January. The actual sale is set for 6/20/11. Foreclosure is a (generally) long process lasting, on average but it varies widely stat-to-state, three months. Here, it seems, you have six.

That makes me consider, and this is just suspicion, that the property owner may have been trying to work out a deal with the servicer (bank) to modify the mortgage. Generally delays in the process, these days, can be chalked up to, most commonly, trying to modify the mortgage or state/local laws/rulings which "force" delays in the process (robo-signers, anyone?).

Hah, since you took down the notice... what state is this?

Edit: Generally all notifications of foreclosure are sent out by certified mail to the borrower's mailing address. You, most likely, won't actually see a note taped to the door (except in cases of eviction, but that's another subject).

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bank can't really settle without vacant possession so they're going to have to do something about you before the auction as well... you may actually want to see if you can work something out with them (how long have you been a tenant for?) so you can hit your move out date.

Docken on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Might as well stick around. No more rent for who knows how long and as soon as they figure out who owns the property, that person will probably want someone living there paying rent (which you'd be willing to do?).

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Docken wrote: »
    Bank can't really settle without vacant possession so they're going to have to do something about you before the auction as well... you may actually want to see if you can work something out with them (how long have you been a tenant for?) so you can hit your move out date.

After the sale has been completed, an eviction process may begin.

That being said, servicers (banks) are often happy to allow persons to remain in homes rent/mortgage free for a variable amount of time as it is far cheaper to rely on a tenant to provide upkeep and maintainable than for it to come out of their own pockets. This has become very common, actually, but it isn't a guarantee. The servicer and investor of the loan can absolutely take possession with a tenant in the home.

The rule of thumb in all these situations is that legal or not, a bank can do whatever they want without reproach.

With that said, after the June sale you'll have one of three things, most likely: 1) eviction, which takes minimum 30 days and varies state by state. The new federal law I believe extends this to a minimum of 90 days, but I haven't looked too closely at it yet (as it really only effects my work tangentially). 2) Cash-for-keys moveout in which the bank generally agrees to provide a payment of anywhere from $500-$5,000 for an orderly move out. You can and should negotiate this if you can. 3) They allow you to live rent free until they decide they want the property.

Generally, the latter two only occur if there exists no buyer at auction. The vast majority of foreclosure sales are of this sort: there's no buyer and the property becomes owned by the bank at which point they try to sell it.

To be cautious, I'd try to ensure that you have a place to go, but at the same time if you're lucky you could get off scott-free without making payments. Understand that you may need to move quickly, and having a couch to crash on for a few weeks while you look for a new living accommodation gives you the best chance of avoiding huge hassle.

I'd also note that there's a fourth option that comes up from time to time in that a bank will take over the role of landlord, allowing you to make rent payments directly to them as opposed to the previous owner. This is dicey and I wouldn't suggest trusting any bank further than you can throw them.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Someone suggested she's going to default and use a shady company to buy the place again under a new mortgage, and just hope and pray that the bank forgives the remaining debt. This kinda lines up with her explanations to my roommate that the foreclosure is all part of a plan to refinance, but the more I think about it, the less sense that makes to me.

She's also openly told me she's refinancing the house, but never to the extent that she just didn't bother to pay anything for 2 and a half years. I suspect her efforts to refinance are why the house hadn't been foreclosed yet, and her frothy, ranting demands that I not return her mail nor let the bank know about her not living her is all part of that.

This is Idaho state, btw. She is still calling me every few days, I'm not returning her calls nor am I answering the phone -- I'm done speaking with her unless I have to.

If I'm going to pay more rent, it has to be this week, same if I'm going to give written notice. A review of my lease alerts me to a modification she made post-signing but pre-photocopying (it's in different ink, amongst other things) stating a $25 a DAY late fee. While I'm a bit lacking in the ol' common sense at times, not even I would be stupid enough to sign a lease with THAT on it.

So I really, really need to figure out if I need to give notice, or just ignore her until I'm out, or what. I'm still not certain if she's "the landlady" or "the ex landlady of this now ownerless property I'm in". I hate being in limbo.

KiTA on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That sounds like fraud to me, I'd stop associating completely with her and return everything that's mailed to her at the property.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Someone suggested she's going to default and use a shady company to buy the place again under a new mortgage, and just hope and pray that the bank forgives the remaining debt. This kinda lines up with her explanations to my roommate that the foreclosure is all part of a plan to refinance, but the more I think about it, the less sense that makes to me.

This is, in fact, impossible. she hasn't made a mortgage payment since 2008. Aside from the fact that her credit is shot to hell, there's no way any company would refinance a loan that is nearly three years delinquent.

It does seem like this was a strategic default. The interest rate, I believe, is around 11.25%, which is usury of the worst sense. Avoiding a foreclosure for three years isn't what happens when you let the process move forward. She has, I would certainly bet, been trying to restructure the loan in a modification.

She's also openly told me she's refinancing the house, but never to the extent that she just didn't bother to pay anything for 2 and a half years. I suspect her efforts to refinance are why the house hadn't been foreclosed yet, and her frothy, ranting demands that I not return her mail nor let the bank know about her not living her is all part of that.

The bank will know she's not there. They probably already do know this. Aside from it being federal fraud (there's a form called the Dodd-Frank Certification necessary for any sort of workout which certifies truth in statement at the expense of federal penalties), the servicer (bank) will send out individuals to scope out the property and complete a Broker's Price Opinion and ensure occupancy.

Again. A refi is highly, highly, highly unlikely.
    This is Idaho state, btw. She is still calling me every few days, I'm not returning her calls nor am I answering the phone -- I'm done speaking with her unless I have to.

If I'm going to pay more rent, it has to be this week, same if I'm going to give written notice. A review of my lease alerts me to a modification she made post-signing but pre-photocopying (it's in different ink, amongst other things) stating a $25 a DAY late fee. While I'm a bit lacking in the ol' common sense at times, not even I would be stupid enough to sign a lease with THAT on it.

So I really, really need to figure out if I need to give notice, or just ignore her until I'm out, or what. I'm still not certain if she's "the landlady" or "the ex landlady of this now ownerless property I'm in". I hate being in limbo.

You're fine until June. She still owns the property and will until that sale.

With that said, you need to ask her what's up. Ask her if she's trying to do a modification and if she has a "plan B" if that sale gets close. A bankruptcy declaration is one of the only things that halts a sale no-questions-asked (except about the bankruptcy, but that's not the point).

Edit: This woman sounds sketchy as all hell. While you should be safe until at least June, I agree with Bowen that it doesn't sound like a great situation. Red flags are everywhere.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Don't give her a dime unless you can get a clear and definitive sense of what is what from the bank. Tell her you're using your security as last month's rent and you're getting out of this shitshow of a living situation.

That thing with the lease, that's fraud.
    Defaulting on a mortgage and having a third party buy the place at a reduced price to sell back to you, that's fraud as well.
    Get away from this person.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, from everything you've said on this thread, this woman sounds like a crook. I suggest you get the ball rolling on moving out. You really don't want to be involved in all of the crap surrounding foreclosure.

For your next lease, I strongly suggest getting something in a multi-unit property or apartment complex. Small-time landlords are hit-and-miss, and if they get foreclosed on, you get fucked as the tenant. On the other hand, even if the owner of a large rental complex gets foreclosed on by the bank, the tenants are typically allowed to stay and keep paying rent.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you have an alternative place to store your valuables, move them there sooner rather than later, and start preparing your exit strategy (that's a fancy way of saying "look for a new place to live ASAP"). You need to accept that you will be moving, the only question is how much rent-free time you can get out of this. If you were in the UK I'd say 2-3 months, minus the deposit which you're obviously never going to see again. The profit potential of this situation is not great; the potential downsides are pretty high. In short, it's just not worth the aggravation for a few weeks of rent-free nervousness.

In your place, I'd not pay any more money for any reason whatsoever. As and when your landlady queries this, tell her that you're paying your final month with the security deposit. Do not say this to her until after you have your valuables safely off the property. If she doesn't query it, dont say it. Just go.

The chances of her turning up in person are pretty low - if she's pulling stunts like this then there's a pretty good chance she's done other stuff too. But she might pay (or promise to pay) people to come round and sieze your consumer durables / change the locks / fuck with you in other ways.

V1m on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    IANAL (Or a real estate foreclosure expert), but I would think all of the advice people are giving to stop associating with your landlord at this point in time is a terrible idea.

I'm living in a property that is in foreclosure right now. It has been in foreclosure since 2008 (as in, the notice of default was delivered to my landlord in 2008). Due to the length of the loan modification process (kicked off by the notice of default), my landlord is still in possession of the property. It's been over two years, and she still owns it. I still pay rent to her, she still has legal ownership and the right to evict for nonpayment.

Pay your rent, speak to your landlord. Do plan to move ASAP. Do not cut all communication with the person whose property you are currently living in.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Monoxide wrote: »
    IANAL (Or a real estate foreclosure expert), but I would think all of the advice people are giving to stop associating with your landlord at this point in time is a terrible idea.

Well, I am a foreclosure expert and I tend to agree here.

The reason to get out is that the landlord is simply acting in a way that would make any tenant nervous, aside from the foreclosure.

I've set out the most probable paths, here, and the only reason to move would be to get away from this individual's shady dealings.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011

Well, I am a foreclosure expert and I tend to agree here.

The reason to get out is that the landlord is simply acting in a way that would make any tenant nervous, aside from the foreclosure.

I've set out the most probable paths, here, and the only reason to move would be to get away from this individual's shady dealings.

Agreed. Your advice in this thread is along the same lines as I've received from my real estate attorney in the same situation. KiTA just keeps saying things like

and the answer is that he is not in limbo, she is the landlady until the property is sold at auction or reclaimed by the bank, or until he is told otherwise. Cutting communication is the wrong thing to do.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    KiTA wrote:

and the answer is that he is not in limbo, she is the landlady until the property is sold at auction or reclaimed by the bank, or until he is told otherwise. Cutting communication is the wrong thing to do.

Exactly. One of the biggest misunderstandings about foreclosure is that it is assumed to be an event, not a process. Foreclosure is a "coded process", not an event. Just as loans are placed into a status of "current" or "delinquent", Foreclosure is the specific long-process a bank takes to recapture the property. In the state in question, this is a judicial process. There is no limbo, the sale has been set and the loan is in foreclosure. Nothing changes in terms of ownership until that sale is confirmed and finalized.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do not stop paying rent. Regardless of the legality of her situation, you are still obligated through the lease to pay her. It doesn't matter whether she's using your money to pay the mortgage or buy crack.

This happened to my wife and I last year. We told the landlord(s) that we would be using our security deposit as last month's rent, and got it in writing that they agreed to it. We also got $2000 from the bank to leave the home in good condition and within 45 days.

Under the Protecting Tenants of Foreclosure Act (I think that's the name), the bank is required to honor your lease if you choose and the house doesn't sell at auction. Like Crowing One said I wouldn't do it, but since banks know that they are more willing to fork over some money to get you to leave.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Good ideas all. I will continue to pay rent until I find a new place. I am going to change the locks on the place (with my landlady's ok) to ensure a safer environment.

She is claiming to be going through a company called NACA to refinance.

http://naca.com
    http://www.modificationcenter.org/
    http://www.naca.com/refinance/refinanceTenStep.jsp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhood_Assistance_Corporation_of_America

The quality of the websites set off even more red flags to me. It seems like a con that prays on desperate homeowners, but I don't know. I'm seeing scams everywhere now.

She was very, VERY adamant about me NOT speaking to the bank in any way, even to ask them about what is going on.

I had to call because my former roommate is causing problems, including calling her and telling her I'm destroying the property, living rent free, and planning on stealing the washer/dryer/stove//fridge/etc. Which are all things he's actually suggested doing at one time.

We have had a bank (?) employee come by and talk to us (well, the roommate) about the house. They were just checking to see that it was lived in, safe, etc etc.

KiTA on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, it seems like the company has really good intentions. Your land lady is likely to lose her property because she is being strung along thinking that the bank will renegotiate with her before seeing if it can take a loss or something.

Unfortunately I'm not all too familiar with real estate law personally having not been through much of it. Crowing has good advice, keep paying your rent, and do talk to the bank. But also keep looking for a new place to live.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I can vouch for NACA as an organization, though the last I dealt with them, they were far from the best. They have a tendency to basically stonewall the homeowner out and then it's a crapshoot if they actually work something out in the end. In any case, it's a good sign. I worked for a rival national-level housing counseling agency awhile back, and since I began in this field I have consistently gotten clients who were screwed over by NACA in my caseload. AHC is a far better company.

If I were still in the non-profit world I'd shoot you my information. The issue with foreclosure assistance is that you can get a great counselor or a counselor who can barely read. The industry standards are quite lax (and I have all the certifications).

She obviously doesn't know what's up, because she's in the process of getting a modification, not a refinance.

Christ, the goal of any housing counseling in this situation is as much education as it is solution. By leaving the homeowner in the dark NACA really screws up.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Found a new apartment today. 450 square feet, so it's "cozy" as the manager said, but it's literally right across the street from my school and $430 a month. Perfect.

Ok, so I don't "have" it yet, but no one's returned an application and I'm going to give them the security deposit tomorrow with the application, which will hold it for me.

Not quite sure what to do with this place. Take photos, get everything into storage, and get the heck out. Should I mail her written notice + the keys? Or just leave the keys here? Give them to the bank? Just a letter, or a registered (have to be signed for) letter?

KiTA on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The new apartment is in a multi-unit complex run by an actual rental company, right? I'm really hoping the answer is yes.

LadyM on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are you breaking the lease by leaving early? I would be careful about that. Unless the lease agreement contained a provision that she would be breaking it by defaulting on the home, you could be sued.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    KiTA, I can't blame you one bit. Sounds like the new digs should be less of a hassle in a number of ways.

I'd also like to say that there are upsides and downsides to renting from a multi-unit company. Previous to my current apartment I never rented from anyone other than private landlords and was immensely happy. In many ways the flexibility and human-based response to issues is easier. Of course, when dealing with people, it's always a crapshoot, but private landlords don't deserve the distrust that is being advocated.

You were month-to-month, right? So I assume you're looking at an April 1st move-in-ish? Best of luck!

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    LadyM wrote: »
    The new apartment is in a multi-unit complex run by an actual rental company, right? I'm really hoping the answer is yes.

Yes. It's literally less than a block away from school, too. Only problem is no washer/dryer hookup and electric (baseboard) heat, but I'll live with both. Also: Finding a place for my plant rack will be hard, but not impossible.
    Ganluan wrote: »
    Are you breaking the lease by leaving early? I would be careful about that. Unless the lease agreement contained a provision that she would be breaking it by defaulting on the home, you could be sued.

It's a month to month lease. My plan at this point is either to mail 1 more month's rent down, or instead mail written notice. In theory, I'd have her father in law come over and do a walkthrough on the last day, but given her track record with that kind of stuff, I'm expecting if I asked today I might get a reply before September.

Hopefully I'll be moved in far, far before April 1st. The apartment has been open for a few weeks now, I'm the first who has brought back a completed app -- and by paying the security deposit early, I have it assuming my background check comes back (and it will).

Problem is, with no credit and an out of state cosigner, they want first and last month's + double security. That's going to make a dent.

KiTA on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Take pictures of everything on the way out, and make sure they have timestamps on them.

L Ron Howard on