As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Picked up several Zkeys and a good bit of Amber last night. Getting close to the Kurzick Elite Armor and that HoM point. Should I go for the Luxon armor next for my 3rd dedicated or is something else easier? If I go for Luxon is it more cost/time effective to exchange the Imperial faction to Lux for Jadeite or to Balth for Zkeys to sell and buy the Jadeite?

I think the buying price of Jadeite is 9k, and you can apparently sell Zkeys for 6k. You get one third of the faction if you convert it from Imp. to Balt., so I think it's more effective to just trade it into luxon and get the jadeite.

Damn, I knew Amber was in the 8-9k range, but thought Jadeite was cheaper. Looks like a lot more PVP during this event for me unless I find a different armor set that would be easier to obtain.

Edit: Thanks @Bethryn and @n2logn for the clarification on prices.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    eobet wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Guild Wars is super complex and everything you want to do takes some effort. I think one of the easiest things to do is your starting capital:

1. Go to Temple of Balthazar (hit G, move to Guild Hall, open map, move to Balthazar)

First snag. That option is greyed out.

(My character is in a 7 year old guild which doesn't exist anymore, I guess, because I noticed that he was the leader of it now.)

You, sir, are not in our guild! Leave your current guild and join the Kansas City Hotsteppers. If you tell your in-game name in this thread, one of the officers will invite you and you can accept the invite next time you log in.

PS: the other way to reach the Temple is to click on the little ship on the map and select the Temple directly.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I've been turning in for jadite just to get some more towards the title.

Every rank makes my Imbagon just a little more effective.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Mainly I'm looking to get my HoM to 30 (sitting at 23 atm). Right now I only have Marhan's Grotto Ascended Armor dedicated and am very close to Kurzick (about 20 amber short). I only have 70K in the bank with no ectos. I have maybe 6 or 7 each on sapphires and rubies. I'm thinking about going for:
    Warrior Elite Kurzick armor (just short amber)
    Warrior Vabbian armor (will need a little cash and of course the remaining sapphire and rubies)
    Warrior Elite Charr Hide armor (just need the cash)

Which would put me at 4 armors dedicated with points for Kurzick and Vabbian and 3 sets bringing me to 26 points. Any recommendations on the 5th armor to go for?

The 5th armor is 2 more points to 28 total. I'm working on a tormented weapon for 29 (have about 1/2 the gems) and then thinking of picking up 9 more minis (cheapest available) for 2 more points that would bring me to 31. Maybe I should just sell off the gems and skip the tormented weapon to help get the funds for the armors and minis? Then continue PVP for Zkeys for the rest of the cash? Really not sure the best course of action for my remaining HoM points.

• Options
    n2lognn2logn Registered User regular
    The Norn armor was by far the cheapest for my character, and rank 5 is very easy to get. 40k (in total) + easy materials. Any armor from factions will cost 60k + materials I believe.

Look at the 3 EOTN faction armors and pick the one with the cheapest rare component (a good price check is the rare mats vendors)

• Options
    here's a pvp / rep question: Does it matter which side of FA or JQ I queue on? Do you only get Balth + Imperial faction for pvp?

• Options
    n2logn wrote: »
    here's a pvp / rep question: Does it matter which side of FA or JQ I queue on? Do you only get Balth + Imperial faction for pvp?
    Yeah only Balth and Imp for either queue.

• Options
    n2logn wrote: »
    The Norn armor was by far the cheapest for my character, and rank 5 is very easy to get. 40k (in total) + easy materials. Any armor from factions will cost 60k + materials I believe.

Look at the 3 EOTN faction armors and pick the one with the cheapest rare component (a good price check is the rare mats vendors)
    Thanks @n2logn, I believe I'm rank 5 or very close to it for dwarves and Warrior Silver Eagle armor doesn't seem to bad. Not sure if I have the 350 feathers needed or how much they cost.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I reached 40/50 and have maxed 18 titles toward GWAMM. I don't see myself making it to 50/50 or 30 titles before GW2 comes out. :C

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The EOTN armors are the cheapest to run for. After that I'd say maybe ancient?

I'd say go for 7 armors in the hall and get one more point. It's only two more armor sets and you only need to get a couple of cheap ones.

That's 6 more points from armors without getting obsidian.

edit: Beated.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I have some amber and jade that I am just not going to use. I'm willing to sell them for half the going price next time someone sees me on. FCFS.

Also if anyone is selling unid gold items, I will buy them at 7 for 4k next time I am on.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    I read up on how to access the guild hall now, and it's apparently not something I can easily acquire. So, question now is: Is there a PA guild I can join?

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Ormuss wrote: »
    With this double rep thing going on, what do you think is the most efficient use of my time:
    A) PvPing for Z-keys to sell, or...
    B) Hopefully making the AFK Glint build work, getting the Cloth of the Brotherhood I need, and using the extra money I earn to buy the Mysterious armor fragments I still need?

Bear in mind I need extra money since I'm going for the Vabbian armor instead of the Kurzick/Luxon ones. -_-

Crazy event has given me too many options!

If you're going for Vabbian, make sure to get all the trade contract quests done and find all of the hidden treasures in NF. Also, remember that you don't need Vabbian headgear, so that'll save you some rubies/sapphires. As for most efficient use of time, I'd say PvPing for zkeys is best (not just because I want to buy them!) because the double Balth/Lux/Kurz faction means more people will be playing PvP, and thus you'll have less downtime. Plus, as @AngrySquirrel said, you can AFK Glint anytime, whereas the double faction gain is limited.

I knew about the trade contract thing...but this hidden treasure business is news to me! As usual, the wiki saves the day by having a list of said treasures, so I'll go round those up too.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Entaru wrote: »

I'd say go for 7 armors in the hall and get one more point. It's only two more armor sets and you only need to get a couple of cheap ones.

Revised plan is this:
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warrior_Elite_Kurzick_armor
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warrior_Elite_Charr_Hide_armor
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warrior_Vabbian_armor
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warrior_Silver_Eagle_armor
    9 mini's

I would go from 23 to 30 points. 180K worth of armor plus whatever materials I am short on and I'm sitting at 70k liquid now with some Zkeys and DoA gems I could sell. If I dropped the 9mini's I'd lose two points and adding two more armor sets would only be 1 more point so I'd still need to finish that tormentor weapon which would add more cost. I would think it'd be cheaper for 9 mini's than 2 more armors and a tormentor weapon since all 9 mini's could be commons. I might be able to swap out the Elite Charr Hide armor for a rep one to cut down on cost as well, but that will need to wait till I get home and can check rep levels.

Edit: @eobet yes Kansas City Hot Steppers is the PA guild. Geod is leader and there are several officers so there is usually someone on that can invite. Just look for a member in game and we'll get you in. OP has the names of officers in it.

AngrySquirrel on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    I read up on how to access the guild hall now, and it's apparently not something I can easily acquire. So, question now is: Is there a PA guild I can join?

Just post your IGN and someone will send you an invite.
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I reached 40/50 and have maxed 18 titles toward GWAMM. I don't see myself making it to 50/50 or 30 titles before GW2 comes out. :C

I'm at 44/50, and still going for it, but vanquishing is slowly burniny me out. Not sure where I am on GWAMM but I've pretty much gicen up on that one.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Revised plan is this:
    9 mini's

I would go from 23 to 30 points. 180K worth of armor plus whatever materials I am short on and I'm sitting at 70k liquid now with some Zkeys and DoA gems I could sell. If I dropped the 9mini's I'd lose two points and adding two more armor sets would only be 1 more point so I'd still need to finish that tormentor weapon which would add more cost. I would think it'd be cheaper for 9 mini's than 2 more armors and a tormentor weapon since all 9 mini's could be commons. I might be able to swap out the Elite Charr Hide armor for a rep one to cut down on cost as well, but that will need to wait till I get home and can check rep levels.
    Not to burst your bubble, but unless you've currently got 14 rubies and 14 sapphires kicking around in your inventory, Vabbian will break your budget.
    Those're going for 9 to 10k each at the moment. Just so you're aware.

• Options
    Entriech wrote: »

Revised plan is this:
    9 mini's

Not to burst your bubble, but unless you've currently got 14 rubies and 14 sapphires kicking around in your inventory, Vabbian will break your budget.
    Those're going for 9 to 10k each at the moment. Just so you're aware.
    Not quite 14 each but very close to double digit on each. Not too worried about cash costs with the rate I can pull in Zkeys right now and would be able to liquidate some other things in my chest if I go this way.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    It's nothing short of CRAZY that zkeys are still rising in price! With double faction over the last two days I'm up to 63 zkeys. I'm not that great of a player and I'm getting 4-5 zkeys per hour. Are people actually farming gold fast enough to justify paying that much? If so: where and how!?!

Also, Vabbian armor can go suck a dick. Sapphires and Rubies were over 12.5k last night and don't show any sign of stabalizing. Needing 28 of them (plus other materials) to make Vabbian, the opportunity cost is getting close to 500k! For that much gold, one could craft seven other 15k armors!

26904.png
  • Options
    yeah, i think getting an armbrace for a tormented weapon (also worth 1 point on its own) is cheaper than Vabbian. I think that's valued around 21-25e which is 160-200k?

My current problem getting elite armors is that the ones I dont have all require vials of ink which go for 500-600 ea. Much preferred the rare mats that were 100 ea!

We're only going to see prices skyrocket as GW2 gets closer.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Geod wrote: »

Thanks! Main character name is "Eobet Skogvaktare".

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Geod wrote: »

Thanks! Main character name is "Eobet Skogvaktare".

I have sent you an invite!

• Options
    Thanks to the invite, I managed to get up to this step:
    4. Collect Tournament Points

But where, exactly, do I collect this?

• Options

i think you have to talk to some guy on the staircase in the great temple named High Priest Zhang or Great Priest Zhang or something

• Options
    1. Go to Temple of Balthazar (hit G, move to Guild Hall, open map, move to Balthazar)

Apparently, I was wrong when I said I'd gotten to step 4, because I missed step 1.

There is no "move to Balthazar" option for me. According to a wiki, I need to:

* By unlocking Campaign Travel: PvE characters can visit any port city (Lion's Arch, Kaineng City, or Kamadan) and then map travel to the temple via the ship icon.
    * PvP characters arrive here upon creation.
    * By crossing through the portal from the outpost for the Zaishen Challenge.

Perhaps I can create a PvP character?

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Apparently, I was wrong when I said I'd gotten to step 4, because I missed step 1.

* By unlocking Campaign Travel: PvE characters can visit any port city (Lion's Arch, Kaineng City, or Kamadan) and then map travel to the temple via the ship icon.

I believe you could create a PvP character, sell the keys on that character, then dump the money into your Xunlei chest to be picked up by your main character.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I can't fucking believe that Pelle Paragon is taken! There will be ZERO fucking names in GW2 available if all these are reserved. Absolutely ridiculous. (This is like the 20th name I've tried.)

EDIT: Ahahahahaaaa.... the irony... the game just told me that the character name "all names are taken" is already in use.

eobet on
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

If you're in a guild, opening the Guild panel (G) will reveal a 'Guild Hall' button. This will transport you to the Guild Hall, which is situated in the Battle Isles. You should be able to Map to the GToB from there.

EDIT: Or click on the ship icon on whatever campaign map you're currently in and select Embark Beach, it'll do the same thing.

Huggles on
  • Options
    I haven't discovered any port city with that character, so the ship icon is not visible.

I did create a PvP character now, but the Zhang dude didn't say anything to that character.

So I tried to go to the guild hall and re-register with that character instead, but apparently I have to wait 30 days.

Well, thank you Guild Wars, for making the decision to not buy Eye of the North easy for me!

God damn...

• Options
    I haven't discovered any port city with that character, so the ship icon is not visible.

I did create a PvP character now, but the Zhang dude didn't say anything to that character.

So I tried to go to the guild hall and re-register with that character instead, but apparently I have to wait 30 days.

Well, thank you Guild Wars, for making the decision to not buy Eye of the North easy for me!

God damn...

zhang doesn't really say anything that looks like anything happens, and as long as one character on your account is registered, your account is registered, and any character can do the thing
    and even if you haven't made it to a port city, any character can go to the battle isles, there's a button that say Guild Hall in the guild menu (G) that takes you to the guild hall, and then you can map travel to the great temple from there

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I think you guys failed to mention that you need a PvP character to do all this.

What you are describing is not available/visible on my level 10 RP character.

EDIT: Also, twice now I've gotten error messages between maps claiming that "my internet connection was lost"... I'm on 100mbit ethernet so... I don't think so (rather, I know it wasn't lost).

eobet on
  • Options
    I think you guys failed to mention that you need a PvP character to do all this.

you can't map travel from the guild hall to the great temple?

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular

EDIT: Also, twice now I've gotten error messages between maps claiming that "my internet connection was lost"... I'm on 100mbit ethernet so... I don't think so (rather, I know it wasn't lost).

You don't need a PvP character.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I think you should just try and enjoy the game for a bit, eobet, if you can't even enjoy playing the game I'm absolutely certain you will only yell at inanimate objects for a bit and not be able to do anything for HoM.

• Options

i think you have to talk to some guy on the staircase in the great temple named High Priest Zhang or Great Priest Zhang or something

I had to create a pvp character before I could see the Temple of Balth on any of my chars. I'd recommend creating a ranger, as they come with a level 20 pet wolf you can put in your menagerie and later use for an easy 1 point in HoM.

But yeah, the free zkeys process is annoyingly not straightforward.
    1) Register any character name
    2) walk around and find high priest zhang? to get your 50 points.
    3) find the zkeys guy and hit trade 10 times.

At least all 3 are in the same map/area

• Options
    edited April 2012

The servers have been having intermittent issues for the last few days. It is probably related to setting up the GW2 servers for this weekend.

I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Seriously considering buying a black moa chick. Assuming its still around 60k. Do these still get sold at all? Im starting to question weather I will have the patience to complete all 3 campaigns and right now that little fucker is 3 hom points on its own. I plan on grinding out tons of money on this event, so I will prolly be pushing out 20ish hom points with money then casually doing the other campaigns without the pressure.
    Also if anyone here wants to sell me one name your price.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for the ranger PvP pet tip.

Just tried to create one and the name "Grumpy McGrump" was taken. Amazing.

If I get the keys on one character, can I transfer the money to another?

Also, where, exactly do I spend the money?

Edit: Transfer question answered. It's in the chest.New question: Where is my lvl 20 wolf on my new PvP ranger?

eobet on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Seriously considering buying a black moa chick. Assuming its still around 60k. Do these still get sold at all? Im starting to question weather I will have the patience to complete all 3 campaigns and right now that little fucker is 3 hom points on its own. I plan on grinding out tons of money on this event, so I will prolly be pushing out 20ish hom points with money then casually doing the other campaigns without the pressure.
    Also if anyone here wants to sell me one name your price.

Is getting a mini black moa repeatable? I can go through and get one for you if that's the case.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    I think the quest is character based, but not repeatable.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I did the black moa chick quest once just for the HoM points. I would estimate that it took between 15 and 25 hours to complete. The biggest time sinks were:

* getting Zho to pop. She's a random participant in the third round - and only the third round - of the Norn fighting tournament, took about 3 hours to get her to join in),
    * the collector items. Farming Skree wings took a good 4 hours; Bog skale Fins took about 6 hours - mostly due to me being in the middle of War in Kryta at the same time.
    * unlocking Gyala Hatchery. Explorable mode - the mission doesn't count - only accessible from the mission AFTER Gyala.
    * Sorrow's Furnace. A little dungeon tucked in an out-of-the way location in the southern shiverpeaks that I had never been to, so it took some time to find. That took an hour or so. Then you need to do five pre-quests to activate the Iron Forgeman, all of which require you to reset the dungeon and nearby explorable area multiple times (yes, we all love running back and forth across the same territory), probalby another three to four hours there. Then after all that, you get to run across the same exact area AGAIN to do the final quest (I never actually completed it, just got my chick and mapped out)

60k is practically free compared to the time involved.

26904.png