As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is the internet dead?

Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
I have been thinking about this since AT&T announced that they would be capping bandwidth, it's the way of the future and there is nothing we can do to stop it. I say this because companies can get away with anything they want, Australia is capped and censored to hell, Canada is controlled by only a couple companies and has limits, all US companies are starting to enact packet shaping and caps.. people complain and bitch but it doesnt matter, it just keeps getting worse. As things progress stuff like Netflix will be impossible to use, companies which offer online backups will be squashed because no one will risk uploading all their stuff and going over their caps, high definition sports streaming will never happen, and digital download services will be ruined as games get bigger because no one will want to use up 30% of their caps on one game.

The internet is pretty much dead, technology will be squashed, and we'll all be forced to what the big companies want us to do. The dream of being rid of cable companies is gone because they dont want us to stream online, a pure digital download world of media is gone because we wont be able to afford it with overage charges, so we'll just sit here on message boards with text because it's all we can do.

Clipboard03.jpg
I KISS YOU!
Lord Jezo on

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You sir, are mistaken.

I have a 12Mb/s ADSL2+ connection, and about 120GB/month cap in Western Australia. Never been near that. Granted, I don't download my games, I buy them on disc, but considering a heavy-usage month means I used about 1/3 of my cap, that leaves 80 GB for game downloads...

Also, what censoring? There was a stupid plan to enact a country-wide mandatory internet filter a year or so ago, so far nothing has come of it. Except massive public outcry. As unbelievably stupid as our politicians are, they realise that the one lobby group that was really pushing the filter could garner them maybe a few thousand votes, versus the millions they would lose if the filter was put in place.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Caps in Australia only seem to getting bigger though. It wasn't that long ago that I everyone I knew had 20-40GB caps, now they have 100+ or even unlimited (Though that generally comes with the lower speeds unfortunately) so I don't know about this regressive internet thing.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah the caps are pretty stupid. Will it be the death of the internet? No.

Someone will just develop a super complex compression algorithm and then life will go on as normal.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yes, the internet will die because people have limits on how much they can download

I've seen this coming for years: it's why I mostly type in lower-case these days

saves bandwidth, y'see

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You sir, are mistaken.

I have a 12Mb/s ADSL2+ connection, and about 120GB/month cap in Western Australia. Never been near that. Granted, I don't download my games, I buy them on disc, but considering a heavy-usage month means I used about 1/3 of my cap, that leaves 80 GB for game downloads....

You just said it there, 120 GB limit, which is tiny. Once you start streaming 1080p television at all times you will blow through that in hours. If the internet is to be used as a primary form of entertainment replacing standard cable television you will never be able to do it.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    You sir, are mistaken.

I have a 12Mb/s ADSL2+ connection, and about 120GB/month cap in Western Australia. Never been near that. Granted, I don't download my games, I buy them on disc, but considering a heavy-usage month means I used about 1/3 of my cap, that leaves 80 GB for game downloads....

You just said it there, 120 GB limit, which is tiny. Once you start streaming 1080p television at all times you will blow through that in hours. If the internet is to be used as a primary form of entertainment replacing standard cable television you will never be able to do it.

Thank god for Verizon, the only sane one of the bunch. Pretty much the only one not putting caps in place and embracing internet streaming.

I never thought I'd say that first sentence.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's a cold day in hell for Verizon to be sane, but I completely agree. The Internet will pull through. At some point, when it gets cheap enough, the infrastructure will get updated when things start to break and the only available equipment is newer. It's not an entirely applicable analogy, but you can't buy flash drives smaller than a gig because they just don't make them any more.

It certainly is a thing, make no mistake, but with so much reliance on the 'net for everything, they would be hard pressed to completely hamstring it. That, I feel, is the real purpose for the FCC at this point. Sure, they basically don't have the power to do anything but bark, but sometimes if you bark loud enough, things can change.

The only way to know, really, is to see how it plays out. Sure will be interesting.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, sane is relative.

They are still insane, but less insane than the rest of them. :)

bowen on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Caps are just a band-aid while the infrastructure catches up to an explosive usage growth that everyone should have seen coming but didn't.

Would companies like to enforce caps permanently? Sure. Is it even imaginable that they could in a free market? Not really (speaking long term here).

At least, this is what I tell myself before I go to sleep each night, so I dream of better things.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Future proofing? On my internet?

Any dime that the ISPs don't have to spend immediately is one that they happily keep.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Caps are just a band-aid while the infrastructure catches up to an explosive usage growth that everyone should have seen coming but didn't.

The companies have themselves to blame as well, advertising UNLIMITED DATA! yet getting upset when people actually use that. Their marketing strategy has always been based on overselling bandwidth - 100 megabits for all! As long as everyone doesn't use it!

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The problem with their solution is instead of using a little band-aid, they put a cast on your leg.

200 GB would have been a more sensible bandwidth limit, in the day of streaming everything and multi-computer households. It's also not so much the total monthly bandwidth, that's the problem, it's the throughput. So your leg cast doesn't even really solve the immediate issue other than scaremongering users into not using a service they paid for.

bowen on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Echo wrote: »

The companies have themselves to blame as well, advertising UNLIMITED DATA! yet getting upset when people actually use that. Their marketing strategy has always been based on overselling bandwidth - 100 megabits for all! As long as everyone doesn't use it!

528499984_smvzj-L-2.jpg

KalTorak on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    The problem with their solution is instead of using a little band-aid, they put a cast on your leg.

200 GB would have been a more sensible bandwidth limit, in the day of streaming everything and multi-computer households. It's also not so much the total monthly bandwidth, that's the problem, it's the throughput. So your leg cast doesn't even really solve the immediate issue other than scaremongering users into not using a service they paid for.

Speaking as someone who works in a different soulless corporate environment (banks, yay!), ISPs are living the dream. If you can make people pay for something, then only use it sparingly to avoid owing you more money, that's freaking great! You spend less money giving them things, and they spend money on a service they don't use to its fullest!

God bless the free market!

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah that is ultimately what this is for.

Other than my sneaking suspicions that telecoms are using it to keep cable TV/satellite and their royalties alive. Which is why you're seeing things like Charter, Comcast, Time Warner implement this shit. But Verizon is like "Fuck yeah internet streaming bitches! You can watch our TV service anywhere!"

bowen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Other than my sneaking suspicions that telecoms are using it to keep cable TV/satellite and their royalties alive. Which is why you're seeing things like Charter, Comcast, Time Warner implement this shit. But Verizon is like "Fuck yeah internet streaming bitches! You can watch our TV service anywhere!"

What about AT&T doing it? They are a telecom company but now limiting their DSL users on a monthly basis.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Would companies like to enforce caps permanently? Sure. Is it even imaginable that they could in a free market? Not really (speaking long term here).

At least, this is what I tell myself before I go to sleep each night, so I dream of better things.

Unfortunately investors would love lower caps and higher overage charges. This way no new infrastructure costs are required and more money is made from the existing equipment.

Verizon and a few other companies are most likely ready to slam metered billing in place but haven't yet for whatever reason.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    My favorite? AT&T trying to weasel their way out of contracts by saying that "unlimited" meant "yeah, you can access the internet 24/7!"

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

What about AT&T doing it? They are a telecom company but now limiting their DSL users on a monthly basis.

I'm guessing there's a royalty somewhere they're exploiting. Or it has to do with trying to keep their payment plans ubiquitous between their services. So the Cellphone internet is the same style plan as their DSL, etc.

bowen on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    It's a cold day in hell for Verizon to be sane, but I completely agree. The Internet will pull through. At some point, when it gets cheap enough, the infrastructure will get updated when things start to break and the only available equipment is newer. It's not an entirely applicable analogy, but you can't buy flash drives smaller than a gig because they just don't make them any more.

It certainly is a thing, make no mistake, but with so much reliance on the 'net for everything, they would be hard pressed to completely hamstring it. That, I feel, is the real purpose for the FCC at this point. Sure, they basically don't have the power to do anything but bark, but sometimes if you bark loud enough, things can change.

The only way to know, really, is to see how it plays out. Sure will be interesting.

Yeah, as much as caps suck, it's not like they'll remain static for perpetuity. We won't be sitting here in 20 years, or hell, even 10 years still at 120GB caps. They'll increase just as bandwidth and technology increases.

The worst thing that will happen is the people performing the rallying cry for digital download won't get their utopia in five years, even though that was never going to happen that quickly anyway.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm out of the loop, when you say AT&T announced that they would be capping bandwidth, which part of AT&T are you referring to. 3G, DSL, Uverse, or all of the above?

edit: nevermind a quick news search tells me DSL is getting capped.

edit 2: oh and uverse too apparently..

so 150GB, which an article tells me that without doing anything else on the internet but streaming netflix in HD you could do so for 3 hours each day for the entire month. I have netflix, I stream it, I've watched entire series on the thing seasons 1-5 a show. I LOVE watching tv shows and movies, and if you have the time and the desire to watch more than 3 hours of HD content streamed from netflix on your AT&T DSL for an entire month straight EVERY DAY then you need to suck it up or get some other hobbies.

Granted most people do more than just stream netflix, but it IS one of the biggest bandwidth hogs. If you stream netflix, backup to an online service, use steam to purchase games all the time then I can see this being an issue, but for probably something like 95% of internet users, they'll never get close to it.

Is it crap to cap what was advertised as unlimited bandwidth? Yeah, sure why not.
    Like mentioned above, the infastructure needs time to catch up, did they plan ahead? no. Are they taking enough of their profits and reinvesting it into new infastructure like they should? nope again.

Despite all that it won't be the end of the internet, calm down, speeds will still increase, caps will too, or possibly disappear eventually.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Welp. Looks like I'm going to be looking at what else is available. Yes, I'm still on DSL. No, it isn't really my choice.

edit:

turns out I'm on Centurylink. Still sucks.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pfft, I don't think I've ever had uncapped ADSL or Cable in NZ or the UK. It does suck a little but even 20-30GB a month allows me to do what I want. I'd certainly prefer more now that streaming video is becoming a thing, but again, it isn't a big issue

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    BenditBendit Cømþü†€r Šýš†emš Anålýš† Ðeñv€r¸ ColørådøRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, I read something about Netflix recently, and the fact that they want to phase out physical media. One thing was clear, if everybody that has internet service would stream 1080p, it would bring down the infrastructure. In other words, we do not have the bandwidth and equipment for everybody to stream that amount of data. For some remote services, it is already border-line. That in 480i with stereo sound, let alone 1080p with high-def surround sound...

Bendit on
    My Live-Tracked Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSn2rozrIo
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My internet provider has no problem streaming me multiple channels of 1080p TV on the same equipment and infrastructure as my internet, and phone.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yes, I am sure. They were saying if €v€ryßødý would stream same amount at same time. Know what I mean?

Wait. Multiple channels of 1080p streams WITH surround sound? That's a different story.

"In practice a Blu-ray film will be at around 25-35 megabits/sec"

That's quite a pipe you got there then. Multiple channels? Not me. I have fast Comcast here in Colorado and I can't touch that.

EDIT: Yeah, come to think of it, I stream stuff with VLC Player, and Wireless G is NOT fast enough to stream blu-ray(1080p) with surround sound, you need Wireless N to pull that off. So the numbers above must be right if Wireless G has a real world bitrate of 25Mb/sec (small b here for bits, not Bytes).

Bendit on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2011
    Bendit wrote: »
    Yes, I am sure. They were saying if €v€ryßødý would stream same amount at same time. Know what I mean?

Wait. Multiple channels of 1080p streams WITH surround sound? That's a different story.

"In practice a Blu-ray film will be at around 25-35 megabits/sec"

That's quite a pipe you got there then. Multiple channels? Not me. I have fast Comcast here in Colorado and I can't touch that.

EDIT: Yeah, come to think of it, I stream stuff with VLC Player, and Wireless G is NOT fast enough to stream blu-ray(1080p) with surround sound, you need Wireless N to pull that off. So the numbers above must be right if Wireless G has a real world bitrate of 25Mb/sec (small b here for bits, not Bytes).

I think he is referring to his digital cable box, which is pulling in many high def channels, no sweat.

It's not happening over the internet, and the number of hops needed to facilitate the steaming of the video is astronomically fewer, but I think that's his point.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Let me tell you guys about something called Mobile Broadband, for a second.

Now, I've resorted to it out here in rural shit Texas because our options are dialup and satellite. Mobile broadband piggy-backs on cell phone towers. It is a service offered by cell phone companies. Up until the past year, every company (or most) offered an unlimited plan. Their caps for other plans were REALLY low, like a couple hundred megs or 2 or 5 GB, but it was all built for low-internet-use. E-Mail check, etc. So, I had to find a new provider. One had an unlimited plan - Virgin Mobile. I got to use it for two months before getting the notice the plan was being replaced by a 5GB cap. The same 5GB cap all other providers are putting in place. It's not all bad; other companies charge you for MB you go over your cap, like cellphone minutes. These guys and T-Mobile just throttle you. But VM allows the option to pay your next bill early, resetting your cap.

Now. 150GB cap.

I would murder for that. Well, not really. But maybe get some perspective. Going a little wild with my net use, I didn't pass up 15GB of data in a single month. 150GB is super generous. Yes, we are on a video game forum. I know people here are capable of meeting it, and find it absurd. But maybe, just maybe, they are the exceptions and not the standard user.

There are dangers facing the internet, yes. But I would wait to sound the siren on everything spoken, take the time to put things in perspective.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You sir, are mistaken.

Why in fuck would I stream 1080p television through my internet connection when I have satellite television?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You sir, are mistaken.

Why in fuck would I stream 1080p television through my internet connection when I have satellite television?

Why in fuck would you pay for a satelite connection when you can stream through your internet connection?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, I read something about Netflix recently, and the fact that they want to phase out physical media. One thing was clear, if everybody that has internet service would stream 1080p, it would bring down the infrastructure. In other words, we do not have the bandwidth and equipment for everybody to stream that amount of data. For some remote services, it is already border-line. That in 480i with stereo sound, let alone 1080p with high-def surround sound...

Netflix needs to slow the fuck down before the TV/internet providers catch on to the fact that I can cancel their $70+ TV service and be plenty entertained by Netflix for 10 bucks a month while letting the providers do most of the heavy lifting.
    Them adding original content is probably going to piss off some people even more.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope bandwidth caps don't come to Frontier any time soon. I looked in my router's logs and in this house we use about 180gb a month. That's basically Netflix, Steam, and WoW. I'm not even TRYING and we use this much. I could fill up my fat hard drives if I felt like it and be up around 300gb a month.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PatboyX wrote: »

Netflix needs to slow the fuck down before the TV/internet providers catch on to the fact that I can cancel their $70+ TV service and be plenty entertained by Netflix for 10 bucks a month while letting the providers do most of the heavy lifting.
    Them adding original content is probably going to piss off some people even more.

This is basically what this is about. It's the same reason AT&T was pissed about their users running skype however long ago.

They want to sell you phone service, internet service, and TV service. They don't want you to be able to use just the internet service as a replacement for TV, so they put in a cap, but one most users will never come close to hitting via regular, non-TV-watchin' internet activity.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PatboyX wrote: »

This is basically what this is about. It's the same reason AT&T was pissed about their users running skype however long ago.

They want to sell you phone service, internet service, and TV service. They don't want you to be able to use just the internet service as a replacement for TV, so they put in a cap, but one most users will never come close to hitting via regular, non-TV-watchin' internet activity.

This just seems silly to me. Any market where AT&T is competing with Verizon and introducing caps is a market where they'll get murdered. If we're allowing companies full on monopolies then its time for government to change those rules... in a perfect world. In our world our politians are bribed by said companies and will do fuck all about it.

Anyone have a map of company monopoly markets?

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's not as though you can't get the same level of service with AT&T, you just have to pay for uverse or whatever they call it. If I have understood properly, it's only their standalone DSL packages that are being capped.

Also, I don't know how many places verizon has rolled out FIOS and so on in, but maybe they're assuming verizon will come to the same conclusion and cap their internet-only plans.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unlimited connections are stupid.

If everyone used their connection to their fullest the internet would slow to a crawl.

The reason why caps are being introduced is not to bone over people who don't think downloading the entire internet is good idea.

As long as companies make an attempt to continually expand their infrasture (and they will as long as there is competition) there will not be a problem.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    Unlimited connections are stupid.

If everyone used their connection to their fullest the internet would slow to a crawl.

The reason why caps are being introduced is not to bone over people who don't think downloading the entire internet is good idea.

As long as companies make an attempt to continually expand their infrasture (and they will as long as there is competition) there will not be a problem.

Like I said, the monthly caps are a worthless limit. Throughput is the issue, not your bandwidth use for the month. You might say they're tangentially related, but, I could probably download 120 gb worth of data in a day if I absolutely wanted to.

Unfortunately throughput has lagged behind because providers are stupid, or want an insane amount of money. IE, they still want to charge $50 a month for the plans of olde, but want to charge these new plans double, or triple.

Then enter Verizon FiOS. Basically redefined internet around where I live. Suddenly the stupid road runner package we had here went down to $20 a month and they released WIDEBAND, with literally no changes to their current infrastructure, which competes somewhat with FiOS.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Then enter Verizon FiOS. Basically redefined internet around where I live. Suddenly the stupid road runner package we had here went down to $20 a month and they released WIDEBAND, with literally no changes to their current infrastructure, which competes somewhat with FiOS.

FiOS is dead. Has been for a while. If you didn't get it in the original roll out you may never.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303410404575151773432729614.html

So it's nice for the few people who have it but for the rest of us there is nothing but pain in our futures.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I knew that, but for my local area it is amazing because finally someone can compete with Time Warner.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    syndalis, bowen: "digital cable box" ? WTF, I thought we were talking about The Internets.

PatboyX: "Netflix needs to slow the fuck down", I think you're right! Netflix is the BEST value in entertainment, period. But it is delivered via another service with a very pricey architecture as far as maintenance is concerned. Personally, I don't think that's fair.

Blake T is right. Competition drives accountability and efficiency, and growth.

Bendit on