Options

New Windows 7 install. What's essential, and what's cool?

harvestharvest By birthright,a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
I just nuked and paved my Windows install because some malware was too hard to fix and I'm lazy. This is a good opportunity to install new apps and utilities. Let me give you an idea of what I already use. This shit is all free.

Notepad++ for text and code
VLC for video
Itunes for music (I have some iOS devices)
Handbrake for video conversion
IrfanView for images
Impulse and Steam for games
Mumble for voice
Firefox for web (trying out Firefox 4, usually I use Chrome)
Microsoft Security Essentials for ... security
OpenOffice for office stuff
Google Talk for IM
ImgBurn for burning discs
DisplayFusion for multi monitor stuff

So... that's the basic stuff I use on a regular basis. Not surprisingly you can get most of it off Ninite, which is how I always install apps on a new machine/new install. Surely there are more great free softwares out there and I must have them. Lets hear it.

B6yM5w2.gif
harvest on

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's a pretty niche tool, but I like WinDirStat for doing the odd disk cleanup job. I'm also giving Game Save Manager a try right now (paired with Dropbox, of course), which should be pretty much awesome if it all works.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    7zip
    i like cdburnerxp for burning
    picasa is great for image stuff

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Another vote for 7zip.

I'd also recommend CCCP over VLC for video watching needs, but that's just me.

uTorrent for, well, torrents.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I use a lot of that, but every computer I own or use also has Dropbox installed.

Also, I like Free Download Manager.

Paint.NET and GIMP for image editing.

DOSBox and VirtualBox always have a home on my system as well.

I second the use of WinDirStat, it's very nice.

Oh, and Stellarium. Because, stars.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ninite.com

pcdecrapifier

ccleaner

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've actually heard that CCleaner is largely unnecessary if you have Malwarebyte and check directories after each uninstallation.

That being said, that could be untrue.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's a pretty niche tool, but I like WinDirStat for doing the odd disk cleanup job. I'm also giving Game Save Manager a try right now (paired with Dropbox, of course), which should be pretty much awesome if it all works.

3rd'd for WinDirStat. Install it now, because you won't want to try to remember the name of it when you want/need it.

I honestly can't imagine not having it around.

Also, I'm assuming you made an informed decision on VLC but in case not I highly recommend checking out Media Player Classic - Home Cinema as an alternative.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Also, I'm assuming you made an informed decision on VLC but in case not I highly recommend checking out Media Player Classic - Home Cinema as an alternative.
    :^:

Instead of installing a damn codec pack on your system like we had to do in the past, just install a player that can handle a wide varieties of formats like MPC-HC or VLC.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Paint.Net for the odd image edit

if you're looking to keep things organized, something like Belvedere could come in handy

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What's the best free antivirus for Windows 7? AVG is too intrusive.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I freaking LOVE Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CCCP has Media Player Classic Home Cinema. I recommend this over VLC.

Windows Live Essentials

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really don't like Windows Live Mail since I'm used to Outlook Express. Does Outlook Express just not come with Windows 7? Is there any way to get it?

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    lordnincompooplordnincompoop Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Rainmeter is lovely.

Chalk up another vote for 7zip and CCleaner.

lordnincompoop on
    #include <iostream>
    int main(){while(1)std::cout<<"Hi! Ho! ";}
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why not use Mozilla Thunderbird?

It's pretty much identical to how Outlook Express works.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you have a lot of ISOs and want virtual CD drives so you don't have to burn them, I find PowerISO (http://www.poweriso.com/) works very well personally.

You mentioned code: do you do web development?

If so, I recommend grabbing Fiddler2 (http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/). Lets you see the details of what you're sending, if you run into strange issues like missing resources or errors that are hard to debug.

I also highly, highly recommend AstroGrep (http://astrogrep.sourceforge.net/), which is probably the best GREP GUI I've ever seen. Simple yet flexible, and extremely fast.

I'm also a fan of WinMerge (http://winmerge.org/) as a diff tool personally. Try it out!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For virtual drives, I'd recommend Daemon Tools Lite, since it's designed for Windows 7 and is very unobtrusive, but they're both probably good.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    For virtual drives, I'd recommend Daemon Tools Lite, since it's designed for Windows 7 and is very unobtrusive, but they're both probably good.

I find MagicDisk to be a superior virtual drive option. (Sans certain emulation features I suppose.) I've had a lot of problems with Daemon Tools over the years such that I don't really trust it any more.
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

It's kind of slow and the inbox pane has a lot different modes that that basically have one thing in common: they are confusing as fuck because it seems to want to offer both "physical" inboxes and "virtual" inboxes but the two concepts just bleed into each other and create a nonsensical mess. (What the hell is "add to global inbox" when making an account? So confusing.)

I pretty much just got fed up with desktop POP clients and switched to gmail because hilariously it has the desktop ones beat in a lot of ways.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I find MagicDisk to be a superior virtual drive option. (Sans certain emulation features I suppose.) I've had a lot of problems with Daemon Tools over the years such that I don't really trust it any more.

Interesting. While I had one or two bugs in the past, I've haven't had any problems Daemon Tools Lite recently (far less than MagicDisk anyway). Then again, DTL is literally only virtual drives--it's useless for things like burning images, etc. Then again, that also makes it far smaller and less obtrusive.

I use a separate small program for burning images, CDBurnerXP.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I really don't like Windows Live Mail since I'm used to Outlook Express. Does Outlook Express just not come with Windows 7? Is there any way to get it?

Outlook Express has been discontinued, it wasn't avaible for Vista either. I did like the password function and miss it.
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Windows Mail gets more development than Thunderbird. I also liked some of the archive functions of Windows Mail that I had to use a plug-in for with Thunderbird.

I don't remember how Thunderbird handles web calendars but Windows Mail plugs them right in along with RSS Feeds.

If you use Hotmail like I do then Windows Mail is the one you want if you want more than a POP3 connection.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Interesting. While I had one or two bugs in the past, I've haven't had any problems Daemon Tools Lite recently (far less than MagicDisk anyway). Then again, DTL is literally only virtual drives--it's useless for things like burning images, etc. Then again, that also makes it far smaller and less obtrusive.

I use a separate small program for burning images, CDBurnerXP.

Yeah I mean it could just be my shit luck, but at some point I had a version of DTL that refused to completely uninstall and its virtual device driver conflicted with another program I needed to use (MacDrive). Then I had one that came with adware. Then I had one that literally caused BSOD's regularly. Not fun. MagicDisc (free version) just seems like the same thing but with fewer fancy features (emulation, boot off iso) and I haven't had any BSODs so that's always a plus.

For burning: http://www.imgburn.com/

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Not to mention all of the shit that Daemon Tools tries to install on your computer lately. Plus some draconian forms of DRM will shut down if DT is even present on your machine.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've been using the lite version for a while now, so I honestly can't recall it trying to install anything else (haven't updated recently either though). No BSOD ever with it, just a few errors that required I restart the program itself.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I would suggest Avast! Free Antivirus. Disable sounds, enable gaming/silent mode, and the only time it'll make itself known is when you're on the desktop and it has updated - it'll tell you by popping up a small notification that quickly goes away.

I love Avast.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For the love of all that is sane and holy, disable sounds in Avast.
    VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heh, yeah.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been using the lite version for a while now, so I honestly can't recall it trying to install anything else (haven't updated recently either though). No BSOD ever with it, just a few errors that required I restart the program itself.

I installed it yesterday. It tries to install a toolbar, to change your homepage and to change your default search.

Another tip of the hat to VLC player and Dropbox (I have all my college files in here, which means I can very easily work on files from my desktop or laptop depending on where I am and I'm not dependant on USB sticks which are easily lost.)

Tav on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I find HashTab to be rather useful. It adds a tab to the file properties thing with CRC32, MD5, and SHA-1 hashes for the file.

corky842 on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    ninite.com

pcdecrapifier

ccleaner

Ninite is freaking amazing. We use it at work to deploy updates for about 10 different applications.

Bigity on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does OpenOffice handle PDF files? Otherwise I suggest SumatraPDF for a free, lite alternative to Adobe PDF Reader.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for Malwarebytes-based anti-malware goodness.

[edit] Also, I run Spybot Search and Destroy a single time for the immunization feature. Then I delete it.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    CutePDF

Excellent, free, barebones PDF Printer

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Oh, and Stellarium. Because, stars.

This is awesome.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just switched to Windows 7 64 bit, and I'm missing a lot of free gigs.

It turns out, even though I told the installation to wipe everything old out, it kept my old stuff in a folder called Windows.old. It's taking A LOT of gigs. I already backed everything up externally, and can delete this, but it says I need permissions from SYSTEM. How do I delete this crap?

Also, as I type, occasionally, the cursor will reposition after a few seconds based on where I leave my cursor. How do I turn that off?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cantido wrote: »

It turns out, even though I told the installation to wipe everything old out, it kept my old stuff in a folder called Windows.old. It's taking A LOT of gigs. I already backed everything up externally, and can delete this, but it says I need permissions from SYSTEM. How do I delete this crap?

Also, as I type, occasionally, the cursor will reposition after a few seconds based on where I leave my cursor. How do I turn that off?

Well, there may be an easier way, but maybe a Ubuntu LiveCD? Boot, mount the hard drive, delete the folder.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Cantido wrote: »

I know what you're going through. I had two aborted attempts at installing Windows 7 and it left two huge .old files on my drive. The answer the others are giving is if you are deleting them from a Vista OS. You, like I was, are trying to delete them from the Windows 7 OS. Here is how to do that:

Click on Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disc Cleanup

When the dialog box comes up, select the drive that has the .old files on it and click OK

The system then scans for the files to be cleaned up and another dialog box opens with the selection. Click on the button labeled Clean up system files at the bottom of that dialog box.

Another dialog box will come up, select the drive again that has the .old files on it. The system will perform another scan for the system files that need to be cleaned up.

After scanning, another dialog box opens up and there you will find a list of check boxes. Scroll through and check on the box labeled Older versions of Windows and click OK.

That should take care of them. The two aborted install attempts I had as .old files where taking up 16 gigs. This got rid of them.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rohan wrote: »

I would suggest Avast! Free Antivirus. Disable sounds, enable gaming/silent mode, and the only time it'll make itself known is when you're on the desktop and it has updated - it'll tell you by popping up a small notification that quickly goes away.

I love Avast.

I concur!

I personally use Foxit for PDFs, it's pretty fast.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Microsoft Security Essentials is a very good free anti-virus for windows.

I also use Foxit for PDFs, much better than Adobe for casual PDF reading.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Use MSE and Malwarebytes side-by-side and you'll basically be worry free... oh, and use Foxit because no matter what you run if you install and run Adobe Reader, you're guaranteed to get shit on by it.

Also, one massive vote for IE9 & GOOGLE CHROME. Firefox and its bloatware-inspired memory management can suck it.

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Firefox 4 seems nice so far

Skoal Cat on