As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of might and men [Weightlifting]

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://youtu.be/pg8D90wUvAo

Way too cool not to share.

Also.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff272/turbozed730/IMG_0188.jpg

Here's a quote explaining it.

"So I'm doing my squats in the power rack and I look around to put another 45 lbs plate on the bar and notice that they're all gone. I look over to the squat rack and notice the 45s are all gone there too. They're all gone. This is a commercial gym btw so there's usually a bunch of 45s everywhere on weight racks.

Usually when the 45s disappear the reason is that some guy decided to do 3" ROM leg presses. That was not the case today however.

I look over to the Smith Machine and see 4 people in it. The bar is loaded with 14 of the 45 lb plates. There is a bench in the Smith Machine. On the bench is a man attempting to bench the bar with the 14 plates. There were three other guys in the machine, two on the ends of the bar and one hovering above the bencher holding on to the bar. I'm thinking "cool, we got a powerlifter in our midst. those other guys must be spotters. wonder why they're using the Smith Machine though."

To my utter shock and dismay, i realize that the spotters are teenagers (fairly large ones though) and that they are not spotters at all but participants in this strange cooperative benchpress. While the dude on the bench was pushing and grunting with all his might, the two on the ends were lifting the ends of the bar, their hands cupped and apparent agony on their faces. The guy hovering above the bencher was also bent over pulling up with all of his might too and looked like he was doing his 1RM high pull. All four dudes were lifting the bar with maximum effort. It was a serious WTF moment.

Is there any reason why anybody would want to do something like this?

EDIT:

So the guy came back again today. This time he recruited random people to help him out with the 4 man bench press. One of the guys (in black hovering over the bench) was a pretty legit lifter that was doing power cleans beforehand. I think he was moving most of the weight even though the kids on the side were contributing. After the dude did his set of 5 or 6 reps, I gave the guy in black a look and we both just laughed and shook our heads. Apparently this guy goes to the gym somewhat often and repeats this feat every now and then. My roommate told me that he hurt his wrist 'helping' the guy with his bench presses. "

Was way too stupid not to share.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    That man honestly deserves whatever he gets. If anything goes even slightly wrong he has, what, almost 700 pounds coming at him? He should be banned for his own safety.

A duck! on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just can't do PB anymore. I made the mistake of going overboard on it during 2010, and I got so burned out on it.

It's the equivalent of boarderline burning yourself out every time you hit up the gym. Yeah you will get a bit better results, but it can really murder your drive in the long run and kill your desire to go to the gym. You have to quit right before you get that second wave at the gym at the very end of your gym routine, else you'll risk burning yourself out.

I need some serious distance from peanut butter before I come back to it.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, also, I did a fitness assessment today as part of my class, very cool stuff and picked out some weaknesses. My internal shoulder rotation is freaking awful, and my shoulder girdle is weak and my scapula does the 'wing' thing during push ups ((which in a way is a relief to hear since that kinda explains my problems on the bench and with push ups, so now I kinda know where the issue is.))

Anyone have suggestions for fixes for those two thing? I'm kinda looking at my options now.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    I just can't do PB anymore. I made the mistake of going overboard on it during 2010, and I got so burned out on it.

It's the equivalent of boarderline burning yourself out every time you hit up the gym. Yeah you will get a bit better results, but it can really murder your drive in the long run and kill your desire to go to the gym. You have to quit right before you get that second wave at the gym at the very end of your gym routine, else you'll risk burning yourself out.

you could pre-cook bacon and eggs and reheat them on a bagel with cheese in the morning. The bagel alone will jack your calories and you'll get plenty of protein from the bacon and eggs. Throw a little spinach on there if you're feeling saucy.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    webguy20 wrote: »

you could pre-cook bacon and eggs and reheat them on a bagel with cheese in the morning. The bagel alone will jack your calories and you'll get plenty of protein from the bacon and eggs. Throw a little spinach on there if you're feeling saucy.

You know, I wrote saucy in place of sassy up above, and now I wish I had stuck with it. Good word, man. Good word.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well crud, my gym is doesn't open till 2 tomorrow, and closes at 7. I work from 11 to 7 tomorrow :?

I haven't been able to work out since last Thursday. This kind of sucks; I wish my gym was a 24 hour one.

Guess i'll have to wait till Monday

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well crud, my gym is doesn't open till 2 tomorrow, and closes at 7. I work from 11 to 7 tomorrow :?

I haven't been able to work out since last Thursday. This kind of sucks; I wish my gym was a 24 hour one.

Guess i'll have to wait till Monday

fuck man, it isn't even open for a whole shift on Sundays? Crap.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Just did the first run of couch to 5k. 4.2 km, mostly running but also walking. Proud of myself.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Back in my old job I had pb on toast for breaky every working day for almost 2 years (barring the odd Friday bacon and egg roll).

I guess what I am saying is too much pb IS NEVER ENOUGH.

That aside, all bran with milk, plus a large coffee with milk, plus toast with almond spread will also do the trick.

Have you tried almond spread? Quite good!

Docken on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, also, I did a fitness assessment today as part of my class, very cool stuff and picked out some weaknesses. My internal shoulder rotation is freaking awful, and my shoulder girdle is weak and my scapula does the 'wing' thing during push ups ((which in a way is a relief to hear since that kinda explains my problems on the bench and with push ups, so now I kinda know where the issue is.))

Anyone have suggestions for fixes for those two thing? I'm kinda looking at my options now.

Basic exercises to strengthen the shoulder girdle and deltoids:

Internal Rotations
    External Rotations
    Halos
    Reverse DB Flys
    Seated Front DB Raises
    Standing Side DB Press

Go for reps over weight on all of these. 3 sets of 15.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Try eating an entire jar of Nutella every morning.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    today i did ten pushups then i ate an entire cat of nutella

i will never be a big manly

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zoel wrote: »
    today i did ten pushups then i ate an entire cat of nutella

i will never be a big manly

I can't eat more than a kitten's worth of nutella, myself. It's just too dense.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How'd you get the cat full of nutella? Suppository or just make him eat it?

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just did the first run of couch to 5k. 4.2 km, mostly running but also walking. Proud of myself.

Awesome. I started running a while back and I found the early weeks, where I was consistently adding distance, to be the most mentally taxing. I'm still not super fast but I'm adding speed and distance all the time. I'm not interested in racing. Just slimming down and keeping my heart healthy.

If you want to keep adding speed or distance after you get to 5 km, I highly recommend Daniels' Running Formula. Yeah, it's got an emaciated marathon runner on the cover, but it really does cater to runners at any level with any conceivable goal in mind.

It's incredibly in-depth about pretty much everything you could care to know about creating training plans and the science behind them. On the other hand, you can read about 10 pages total and know enough to use the tables and set up a plan for yourself. I'd go so far as to call it Starting Strength for running. It's honestly even more useful, overall.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuck, bikes are expensive and I need to get my fat ass of my chair and on to a bike since my knee is too fucked up for me to start jogging again.

And fuck walking I'm in a hurry.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anosognos wrote: »

Awesome. I started running a while back and I found the early weeks, where I was consistently adding distance, to be the most mentally taxing. I'm still not super fast but I'm adding speed and distance all the time. I'm not interested in racing. Just slimming down and keeping my heart healthy.

If you want to keep adding speed or distance after you get to 5 km, I highly recommend Daniels' Running Formula. Yeah, it's got an emaciated marathon runner on the cover, but it really does cater to runners at any level with any conceivable goal in mind.

It's incredibly in-depth about pretty much everything you could care to know about creating training plans and the science behind them. On the other hand, you can read about 10 pages total and know enough to use the tables and set up a plan for yourself. I'd go so far as to call it Starting Strength for running. It's honestly even more useful, overall.

I've been doing the same thing, been running for a few months now and I'm up to doing anywhere between 4 and 8 miles per day (which is over 10km apparently). I've gotten my legs into really good condition now which makes me pretty happy. :D

That book is pretty interesting, but I'm not anywhere in those time tables heh.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Today was the day, I squatted 3x5 225 and I feel good. My bench is still going up too, 3x5 160 today, and that's never happened before. I can live with gradual gains when there's still a milestone once in a while.

Peen on
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bigman thread, what are rack pulls and should I be doing them?

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Good back exercise and useful if you're fine tuning your deads.

I use a modified rack pull much lower down as a kinda half-way deadlift - ups your pull weight which helps your upper back and is an easier + safer dl exercise if you're worried about form.

Still not a sub for a proper DL though but useful as an accessory or if you're really tall.

Docken on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Docken on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That seems... dangerous.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Comments have been disabled for this video."

I WONDER WHY.

Also: why can I put up 135lb. standing OHPs @ 3x5, but only get out 8 reps while (seated) DB pressing a pair of dinky little 45lbers?

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wey hey new lifting thread.

Skills video from last wednesday is up. First squat is hells of ugly. Pretty sure it was a focus problem. Both were a touch high too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fol_DDYbiXs

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah you definitely collapsed down on that first one.

Having said that, depth looked fine... both were below parallel.

Super smooth DLs!!!!

EDIT: Man there are some f'ing strong dudes at your gym... must be the powerlift nexus of Wellington?

Docken on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah it's one of the better gyms in the country IMO. Some of the lifts I see going down are just amazing.

The coaching is excellent too. Any time I train in the evening, the owner will wander out and talk me through a few tweaks on my form. The guy spotting me for the second squat actually stayed behind an extra half hour tonight just to spot me on the bench. Real good crowd.

Deadlift form is a work in progress. I've been putting some real honest technique work in and I can feel it juuust starting to come through. I think this is going to be a good year for deadlifting.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the first squat was ehh second squat was good

depth looked fine on both to be honest

good lifts bubba

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Badge makes me happy.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    vag makes me happy

here this is a good place for this. fires me up

There is foul language used in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIylwth99Wg

There is foul language used in this video

so it might not be safe for work, don't be sayin i didn't warn ya

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Best top of the page.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ok Badge, who the fuck is this bean-pole and how in God's name is he powering up these weights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VMrL6a_tMI&feature=player_embedded

Docken on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hamurabi wrote: »

I WONDER WHY.

Also: why can I put up 135lb. standing OHPs @ 3x5, but only get out 8 reps while (seated) DB pressing a pair of dinky little 45lbers?

I would bet it is because you're using a whole new bunch of muscles to help stabilize each arm independently. A barbell is a much easier thing to push against than a free weight in each hand.

and with that it's time to head to the gym. Woohoo squats.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Docken wrote: »
    Ok Badge, who the fuck is this bean-pole and how in God's name is he powering up these weights:

He's lifting equipped. Kinda hard to tell in those videos though...

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    DaimajinDaimajin Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Buh-leted

Daimajin on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alright, so after an unheard of three-day break i'm finally able to go back to the gym. Last friday was my rest day, Saturday I had to go to the emergency room in the morning/work immediately after, and on Sunday my gym was only open from 2 to 7 (boo!).

I guess it's like starting all over again. At least I know exaclty what i'm doing this time. Let's go!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Had a fantastic run this morning.

Came back to the apartment and the water's shut off because they're repiping the building. I thought it was 8:30-10:30, and instead it's 8-10:30.

I stink.

And I can't do laundry like I was hoping. Thankfully I have clean clothes, but I wanted to have more than one set. Bleh.

Little more than an hour to go.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    just got back from the gym. squats at 255 3x5. if I can keep progressing at 10lbs a session I should hit 315 by the end of May. Here's to hoping!

Also going to hit my boss up for a raise in the name of health and fitness so I can get my own equipment.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hamurabi wrote: »

I WONDER WHY.

I would bet it is because you're using a whole new bunch of muscles to help stabilize each arm independently. A barbell is a much easier thing to push against than a free weight in each hand.

and with that it's time to head to the gym. Woohoo squats.

I figured this was the case.

I was more just incredulous at the dropoff in strength.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hit 140 on the Bench yesterday. I love 2.5 lb weights.

mrt144 on
This discussion has been closed.