As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEλM

1565758596062»

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    Hawk wrote: »
    is there a website for Steam achievements like the pair of PS3 Trophies and 360 Achievements websites?

A site that displays them and how to get them? Or a site that tracks Steam achievements?

Uh, the former. xbox360achievements.org ps3trophies.org

Somebody posted it right before your post:
    http://dev.zr40.nl/steam/

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Decoy wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    This is extraordinarily helpful and OP worthy:

I appreciate the kind words, but sadly I've since found a few mistakes with my list. Apparently the wiki I used to gather the list of Steamworks games doesn't mention how some games are only Steamworks when purchased on Steam directly and not when bought from another distributor. It's very odd, and I wish there was a better clarification for these games, but I haven't found any way to identify when this is the case.

For instance, the wiki shows Anomaly: Warzone as a Steamworks game, but when bought from D2D earlier today it couldn't be added. Same with Fate of the World. So who knows at this point. I need to do more reading.

So the serials for them don't register in steam? Bizarre.

Looking at them, the ones that would seem to require steamworks say " This title installs and requires a 3rd party download to play."

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    I've never finished HL 1,2,ep1, or ep2. I am a huge fan of valve's environmental design, but the actual game and the story seem just so so bad to me. *ducks*

I think perhaps you are bad at this.

You know, like...being a gamer. I'm not sure you're cut out for it.

Turn in your membership card and have your desk cleaned out by 5.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah some games don't require steam but for example have achievements in the steam version.

Only required (and activate on Steam) when steam is used for anti-piracy or matchmaking.

Alegis on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    I've never finished HL 1,2,ep1, or ep2. I am a huge fan of valve's environmental design, but the actual game and the story seem just so so bad to me. *ducks*

Great it's not behind the wall of a spoiler now... Idk the things people claim the series does so well are lost on me in all the attempts I have made. (6+ at HL2) One thing HL2 does do that I can with out any doubt 100% say is fail miserably at vehicle control. Like nearly the worst of all time levels of bad imo. Like Combat on Atari has better controls.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Triple B wrote: »

Great it's not behind the wall of a spoiler now... Idk the things people claim the series does so well are lost on me in all the attempts I have made. (6+ at HL2) One thing HL2 does do that I can with out any doubt 100% say is fail miserably at vehicle control. Like nearly the worst of all time levels of bad imo. Like Combat on Atari has better controls.

So you've never played Halo then.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have.... The swamp buggy section of HL2 is the single most experience destroying segment of any game I have ever played. It's the most boring uninteresting thing ever. My long play through of HL2 gets roughly 20 minutes past that segment. HL1 dies for me shortly after the elevator shaft segment which I am fairly sure is super early in the game.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So part of the issue is that you jumped ahead in the narrative. Your call, but now that you know how HL2 ends up you might as well continue from Ep. 1.

As for the buggy.. what's unintuitive about it? All that changes is A/D turns to turn, as opposed to strafe. It's not like the game requires precision driving or anything. Sure, it's floaty as hell, but you can always get out and walk. Or not -- the game doesn't make all the setpieces required.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The trailer on Cargo's steam page... it's like a group of scientists spent decades perfecting a video that would make a product look as unappealing as physically possible.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Hawk wrote: »
    is there a website for Steam achievements like the pair of PS3 Trophies and 360 Achievements websites?

A site that displays them and how to get them? Or a site that tracks Steam achievements?

Uh, the former. xbox360achievements.org ps3trophies.org

Somebody posted it right before your post:
    http://dev.zr40.nl/steam/

ah, I see. thanks.

wish it was a good deal better (no guides or tips on how to get them?) but I guess it'll have to do for now?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No. You do need the airboat for most of the time. since there are quite a few parts over toxic water.

Honestly, the vehicle sections are the WORST part of half life 2.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    heenato wrote: »
    No. You do need the airboat for most of the time. since there are quite a few parts over toxic water.

Honestly, the vehicle sections are the WORST part of half life 2.

Agreed...

Sorry, I don't mentally link the hovercraft and the buggy. The hovercraft just really, REALLY breaks immersion with its gyroscope.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Huh.

I always really enjoyed the vehicles in HL 2. I had a lot of fun running over Combine and doing jumps, powerslides and stuff.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    A bit of context, then.

I believe the vehicle parts (specifically driving, not the setpieces) are the worst part of HL2.

These parts are still leagues above most games I've played. The worst of the best is still the best.

Athenor on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Who buys them anyway? I'm sure it must be a very niche and somewhat profitable market but I can't see why anyone would want to buy these agonizingly boring looking games.

Europeans, mostly Germans. No, really. They're all about pixel-hunt adventure games and THIS.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I'm really glad I waited till this computer was working again to start amnesia (thanks again slim) but dear god I'm already freaked the hell out. I don't know if I can play this in long sittings. I'm really only at
    the main entranceway after the first memo to myself and had that flashback from I assume the man I want to kill

And I'm already scared! Nothing's even happened and I'm scared. The tutorial room that all the lights go out to teach me about my sanity scared me to death. I ran out and slammed that door shut

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Good lord, did this thread really go down in two weeks?

Potato fury man, unreal.

Drake on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I'm really glad I waited till this computer was working again to start amnesia (thanks again slim) but dear god I'm already freaked the hell out. I don't know if I can play this in long sittings. I'm really only at
    the main entranceway after the first memo to myself and had that flashback from I assume the man I want to kill

And I'm already scared! Nothing's even happened and I'm scared. The tutorial room that all the lights go out to teach me about my sanity scared me to death. I ran out and slammed that door shut

I feel the same way. It's almost mocking me on my Steam list with only 1 hour played :(

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TeeMan wrote: »

Wait until you get to the library

I don't remember that part, is it before or after
    the water?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Awright. I was drinking whiskey and gaming and browsing Steam and stuff last night. And I've been enjoying Tripwire's games lately, namely Killing Floor and The Ball. And I always had some fun with Red Orchestra when it was a UT mod. So in a drunken show of support I bought Red Orchestra Ostfront, even though RO 2 Heroes of Stalingrad is eminent. What the hell, it was only ten bucks and I love those guys and they can always use money, right?

So anyway, the point of this ramble is, I've got a spare Guest Pass for the game. If you have even the slightest bit of interest, just ask for it. It goes to the first request. Just friend me on Steam or PM me an email address to send it to and it's yours.

Drake on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TeeMan wrote: »

Wait until you get to the library

I don't remember that part, is it before or after
    the water?
    Before the water, I guess. It's all super-creepy leading up to the small library and you solve a book-pulling puzzle and get an item to back-track with. It is here that I froze, feet firmly planted to the ground, with the realisation that the "puzzle" part of this puzzle/horror game was at a close... Didn't want to face what was next D:

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    So anyway, the point of this ramble is, I've got a spare Guest Pass for the game. If you have even the slightest bit of interest, just ask for it. It goes to the first request. Just friend me on Steam or PM me an email address to send it to and it's yours.

That reminds me: Whatever happened to those things? The idea of Guest Passes rocked (in my mind) but they suddenly stopped using them altogether. Maybe free weekends were a better deal for everybody, but they don't to them that frequently either.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drovek wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »

That reminds me: Whatever happened to those things? The idea of Guest Passes rocked (in my mind) but they suddenly stopped using them altogether. Maybe free weekends were a better deal for everybody, but they don't to them that frequently either.

They did give out guest passes for Monday Night Combat, but yeah, at some point it seemed like they were giving out passes all the time.

Peewi on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OK gents, and I use this term loosely, since this /is/ the steam thread and I'm just that kind of dood...

Contest Time!

The contest is a simple one. I think you are all assholes. This is indeed fact. So in that theme, this contest is a gallery of why human's can't be trusted.

How do you enter? Well, simple! Be an asshole. Video or screenshot(s) are valid entries. Something done after this posting, not some previous work squirreled away.

This can, of course, be against a CPU opponent, but acts of untrustworthiness against actual people will of course get you more points.

This doesn't have to be screwing over your own team or anything either (Though that's always hilarious) it can just as easily be really screwing over your opponents or just ganking strangers.

The reward will be, of course, Portal 2. Being the motivation for this theme.

The deadline will be... I dunno, what's today? 20th? So the 27th. A week should be sufficient. Yes, I know, terribly long and all. Still, I want those working and such to have a fair chance as well.

Editing in: PM me a link to your entry post. I'm usually lurking most of the day, either from home or my phone, but Id rather not miss your entry (or just forget about it. Frankly, I'm a bit goldfishy at times.) Also usual 'be someone' limitation. Don't need a billion posts or anything but having existed for more than a month and at least made a passable attempt at being a part of this classy community would be best.

I just put a spider in my wife's purse.

I got the reaction with my video camera.

I'll render it as soon as my arm is out of the sling.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OK gents, and I use this term loosely, since this /is/ the steam thread and I'm just that kind of dood...

Contest Time!

The contest is a simple one. I think you are all assholes. This is indeed fact. So in that theme, this contest is a gallery of why human's can't be trusted.

How do you enter? Well, simple! Be an asshole. Video or screenshot(s) are valid entries. Something done after this posting, not some previous work squirreled away.

This can, of course, be against a CPU opponent, but acts of untrustworthiness against actual people will of course get you more points.

This doesn't have to be screwing over your own team or anything either (Though that's always hilarious) it can just as easily be really screwing over your opponents or just ganking strangers.

The reward will be, of course, Portal 2. Being the motivation for this theme.

The deadline will be... I dunno, what's today? 20th? So the 27th. A week should be sufficient. Yes, I know, terribly long and all. Still, I want those working and such to have a fair chance as well.

Editing in: PM me a link to your entry post. I'm usually lurking most of the day, either from home or my phone, but Id rather not miss your entry (or just forget about it. Frankly, I'm a bit goldfishy at times.) Also usual 'be someone' limitation. Don't need a billion posts or anything but having existed for more than a month and at least made a passable attempt at being a part of this classy community would be best.

I just put a spider in my wife's purse.

I got the reaction with my video camera.

I'll render it as soon as my arm is out of the sling.

I gifted Rubix42 his very first Steam game. It was Amnesia.

Big Classy on