As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The best part of the game is that companions are actually useful. They grab and hold enemies for you, they'll launch you up in the air, and their AI is good enough to do everything you can do without being ordered to.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    We'll see how that works out in practice. It sounds awesome, but I am skeptical and it will be the really hard battles where that will matter or not.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Please let this game be successful. I know it's super ugly but that's necessary because the gameplay is goddamn amazing and look at all that shit on-screen.

Buh? What do you mean? I think it looks great. Too much brown but whatever.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Risen was bad. So so bad. Combat/movement was clunky, progression was very abusable (stat potions!), enemy ai/pathing felt like it was done in 2 hours by a junior dev experiencing a mild stroke and halfway through the game everything turned into 'kill the lizardman, then do it again'.

I want this game to do well and get a pc port. That is all.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I had hoped this was a Crackdown-esque move. Where a company KNOWS they have a great game that may be overlooked, and tacks a demo to something on (Halo 3 was on Crackdown), and not the other way where the demo is basically to sell it.

I am going to just carry deer around all day. And order all my compatriots to as well.

Then, when my character finally snaps, we are throwing deer off cliffs onto villages.

They will never forget the great deer rain of 2012.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Haha that's funny because I look at Crackdown the exact opposite way, a total turd packaged with a great demo/beta in order to move it. I know that's not the popular opinion but man I felt like that game was an awful waste of time and I love open-world games.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Please let this game be successful. I know it's super ugly but that's necessary because the gameplay is goddamn amazing and look at all that shit on-screen.

There will always be someone that thinks a game is super ugly, no matter how gorgeous it is.

It's, like, a law or something.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

There will always be someone that thinks a game is super ugly, no matter how gorgeous it is.

It's, like, a law or something.

What I mean is I'm hardly the be-all end-all in game graphic judging and I'm looking at this on a very crappy PC so I was worried about what I was possibly not seeing.

• Options
    I'm going to throw pigs at villagers myself. OPPRESS THEM!

• Options
    It's mostly the impressive level of washed out greybrown. This game would look pretty good with some saturation.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Well this answers the HUD question, game looks incredible with it all turned off. DRAGOOOOOON

http://youtu.be/zGniMVtCA3g

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    They call the main guy "Arisen".
    He's undead.
    Also that dragon fight? Bought.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    when that dragon flew up a million feet in the air while the hero still grabbed onto it

man

this game

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    I cannot WAIT for this game.

When Skyrim came out I thought, "Goddamn, I love this world, but I wish the combat was more fun."

When Kingdoms of Amalur came out I thought, "Goddamn, I love this combat, but I wish I had more freedom."

Then I saw Dragon's Dogma... ok that's a lie, I've been watching this game since it's announcement, but you get my point. Dragon's Dogma is like Skyrim, Amalur, old school D&D games, Dark Souls, and Monster Hunter all joined together to make the ultimate High Fantasy game.

What I'm most blown away with is the character customization. You can make an obese little Dwarf or a towering gigantic Conan wannabe. That is amazing considering what little customization most current RPG's seem to give... I'm looking at you Skyrim, Dragon Age, and Amalur!

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    when that dragon flew up a million feet in the air while the hero still grabbed onto it

man

this game

Yeah, I uttered 'holy shit'. There's some awesome stuff going on there.

• Options
    LionEyezLionEyez Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    There was another 2 hour live stream. You can watch the recording here: http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity/b/311878013

Looking really great! Mix of Demon Souls, Monster Hunter and Skyrim (though probably not as open)

The ability to heal from the menu probably makes this game a little easier than Demon Souls though. Not to mention the 3 companions. There been any comments about the difficulty?

Or Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YimwPf0Fr3A

LionEyez on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, that looks very cool. I wonder how Japanese it will be, though. It's always weird having games with very real looking graphics, yet very Japanese gameplay where things don't behave at all like you'd expect them to (I'm looking at you Resident Evil).

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    I am getting really excited about this: It could be the sleeper RPG hit of the year. I hope it's marketed aggressively and lives up to its ambitions, it has the potential to be something genuinely special.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    The part where the dude is latched onto its neck and just keeps stabbing it as it flips out? Yeah. I want to be that dude. Stabbing stuff. In the neck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    LionEyez wrote:
    Mix of Demon Souls, Monster Hunter

Day -1.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    It is all quite stimulating in concept. Looking forward to some reviews.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    I will be buying this.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    This is pretty damn spectacular. I may live in any forthcoming demo for quite a bit.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Just watching the video now.

Love how your buddies pick up all the stuff strewn around.

Also picking up that one guy on the ballista and placing him gently down was hilarious for some reason.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    The part where the dude is latched onto its neck and just keeps stabbing it as it flips out? Yeah. I want to be that dude. Stabbing stuff. In the neck.

In fairness, if some guy was on me stabbing me I would be flipping the fuck out as well.

I am really excited for this, but am I wrong to equally be thinking "Please don't be disappointing" or am I just being overly pessimistic? I really want this game to be awesome.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

In fairness, if some guy was on me stabbing me I would be flipping the fuck out as well.

I am really excited for this, but am I wrong to equally be thinking "Please don't be disappointing" or am I just being overly pessimistic? I really want this game to be awesome.

I'm with you there. This looks fucking amazing, it just seems too good to be true.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    I'm very interested in this. I loved the concept of demon souls but was actually really turned off by the difficulty.

not so interested in the greybrown muddyness the game seems to have, but if it has good gameplay....

also, pleeeeaaaaaase co op.

jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    I hope there isn't co-op, because Capcoms history with that is to make the companion AI as idiotic as possible while punishing you simultaneously for their stupidity (RE5 immediately comes to mind). I would rather the game only have companions where appropriate but them not be required at all (most gameplay I've seen has the character by themselves for the most part).

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I hope there isn't co-op, because Capcoms history with that is to make the companion AI as idiotic as possible while punishing you simultaneously for their stupidity (RE5 immediately comes to mind). I would rather the game only have companions where appropriate but them not be required at all (most gameplay I've seen has the character by themselves for the most part).

That's not fair Resident Evil five was practically designed to be awful. I'm sure in a game where co-op is organic and not jammed in like a square peg hammered into a triangle slot it'd be fine.

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    I watched the last video again...

So, it's Assassin's Creed, Demon Souls, Monster Hunter, Shadow of the Colossus and Elder Scrolls rolled into one... I'm not complaining.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    I cant really feel the need to be pessimistic. Capcom makes Monster Hunter. A series I love, and even if they keep making the story lame, DMC has been pretty much solid throughout. They know how to do action and complex battle systems and whatnot. so I have faith in them! I'm going to believe!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I cant really feel the need to be pessimistic. Capcom makes Monster Hunter. A series I love, and even if they keep making the story lame, DMC has been pretty much solid throughout. They know how to do action and complex battle systems and whatnot. so I have faith in them! I'm going to believe!

DMC's story should only ever be an excuse for the protagonist to don a red coat and shoot things.Dante doesn't need coherent story just a gun and holier than thou demons to mock.

• Options
    I am not worried about story if the game lives up to the promises its making with regards to the combat. I will take amazing set piece battles against Dragons like I've seen in previews, that mechanically work well (hopefully) even if it has an incredibly goofy story.

What I don't want is the game crippled by a reliance of finding people to play it with or suffer from retarded allied AI.

• Options
    I've never played a Capcom game where they forced you to use AI. Many have offered it, but Capcom seems to design their games with the obsessive person in mind. So I'm sure you could play the game completely solo if you didn't like how the AI acted.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Resident Evil 5.

The shining example of "youre stuck with this AI forever".

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Question: Does this game have co-op multiplayer or pvp multiplayer?
    A yes means I get it at release and a no means I grab it when it hits the bargain bins most likely.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Single player, unless I'm mistaken.

You get AI pawns to help you fight, and I guess you can kit them out and trade em online or something.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    For some reason I thought this was out already. When is the release date?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Single player, unless I'm mistaken.

You get AI pawns to help you fight, and I guess you can kit them out and trade em online or something.

That's highly disapoining, and makes me just want to wait for another Monster Hunter and/or Souls game.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    For some reason I thought this was out already. When is the release date?
    Wiki says May 22-25, depending on where you are.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
This discussion has been closed.