As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    For some reason I thought this was out already. When is the release date?

May 24th....ish? Something like that, end of May.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So I was basically getting this game for the RE6 demo.

But the fact that it is looking good helps.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    New (I think) vid, features a magic user.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrCiV4LOYk4&noredirect=1

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    For some reason I thought this was out already. When is the release date?

May 24th....ish? Something like that, end of May.

Wow, they release this game at the one point in time I could not give a crap about it - 1 week after diablo 3 release. Unless diablo 3 ends up sucking this will cause me to skip this game.

• Options
    LionEyezLionEyez Registered User regular

Love it! I like how he keeps adding to this atmosphere of true danger in the dark

The magic looks pretty neat too.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm kind of shocked people think the drago fights are good mechanically. It's sitting on the fuciing ground taking an occasional bite at you; I have Skyrim for that, thanks.

A mechanically interesting or 'realistic' dragon combat would be about the same as a hawk catching a mouse. If hawks were also armor plated and could fucking breathe fire.

I guess what I'm saying is I always wanted a survival horror type dragon predation game, and have had enough of dragons who are nice enough to take lazy swipes at you while you axe them in the ribs.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I always think its weird when people ask for realistic dragon fights in a medieval setting.

Because realistic would be the dragon raining fire down on you as you ineffectively shot arrows at it, missing every single one.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I always think its weird when people ask for realistic dragon fights when there are no dragons, thus they cant in any way shape or form be considered realistic.

Though with crimson Fatalis and such Capcom did an excellent job of a dragon that just gives no fucks and spends most of his time being a dick, so they are entirely capable of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    He did say survival horror, which is about the only genre that 'realistic dragon' fights would work in.

So fie on this game for being an entirely different genre to the imaginary game he wants. Fie!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I was gonna say that if you took many of the core dynamics from monster hunter, you'd have a more interesting big monster type fight.

I'm not sure if that's really true or if its just that I like the MH games and that colors my opinions.

• Options
    I always think its weird when people ask for realistic dragon fights when there are no dragons, thus they cant in any way shape or form be considered realistic.

Though with crimson Fatalis and such Capcom did an excellent job of a dragon that just gives no fucks and spends most of his time being a dick, so they are entirely capable of it.

I'm guessing they mean realistic in the sense of how you would expect a being built like a dragon to fight.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I just like that it looks like a fight against a big foe (dragon, 25 foot cyclops, etc) takes 3-4 people wailing on it for a LONG time. I hate "epic" boss fights in games that last like 5-8 minutes and you finish and, "ok, moving on now".

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I'm guessing they mean realistic in the sense of how you would expect a being built like a dragon to fight.

You mean incapable of flight due to being far too heavy and constantly burning its own face off? :P

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Allforce wrote: »
    I just like that it looks like a fight against a big foe (dragon, 25 foot cyclops, etc) takes 3-4 people wailing on it for a LONG time. I hate "epic" boss fights in games that last like 5-8 minutes and you finish and, "ok, moving on now".

I don't mind drawn out fights as long as they are extremely rare.

I know the dragon fights in Skyrim wore out their welcome quickly because of how frequent they got.

Alone with being piss easy. But Skyrim has crap combat anyway...

• Options
    Right, I think if you come across a fucking DRAGON in a forest you better be ready to settle in for an hour-long ordeal. Now if they have you doing that every 15 minutes then they can fuck off but I want the battles to feel suitably epic in an epic fantasy game.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    He did say survival horror, which is about the only genre that 'realistic dragon' fights would work in.

So fie on this game for being an entirely different genre to the imaginary game he wants. Fie!
    Eh, what I'm saying is realism makes no sense in this context so 'mechanically interesting' has to mean that given the premise that fight itself is actually interesting, and dragon rights never are because the only reason it's a fight and not a fucking snack is that the dragon always, always plays by very clearly delineated rules that favor you. Skyrim is horrible about this, obviously, but it just makes it utterly obvious that this thing is only there for you to kill; that is its purpose. And that kind of removes all the tension.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Just Cause 2 is pretty much the only game I can think off that could handle flying dragon battles right.

• Options
    There's dragons in Just Cause 2?! Man I really missed the boat on that game, I should pick it up.

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I like how fast some of the combat is. But I'm really glad the big critters take time to take down.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    LionEyez wrote: »

Love it! I like how he keeps adding to this atmosphere of true danger in the dark

The magic looks pretty neat too.
    So they said that the DMC team was making a WRPG and I was in.

Then it was Monster Hunter and I wasn't in.

But now I think I'm in again.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if we're going to get any kind of special edition like Japan is. I want extra stuff.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    After seeing that video, I don't care anymore that Diablo 3 will be coming out a week ahead of this. I will find time for both.

If only this game had some online co-op, I would be set for gaming for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So I was basically getting this game for the RE6 demo.

But the fact that it is looking good helps.

I was getting this regardless the demo being in there to doesn't really do much for me especially since I probably have to download it and fuck that I got dragons to kill. I really lost all interest in the series after five though. It's clear Capcom has no idea what to do with it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Wha..wha..what? There is a Bezerk DLC for this game? Has Guts and Griffon's costumes?!

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

My, that was quite good! Looks like the kind of thing I was hoping Monster Hunter Tri was going to be.

I'm going to buy this game and weep over my lack of free time to ever enjoy it.

My PS3 is rapidly becoming some sort of time machine for the future.

• Options
    I do like how dark it gets at night.

I mean it probably means I'll never intentionally go to the forest at night but I'm sure I'll get stuck there from time to time.

• Options
    I scanned through and watched a lot of both of the youtube videos that Capcom put up. I am super psyched to try out magic archery. That shit looked amazing. For those that missed it, start this video at 1:04:30ish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOgchg-az9k

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    .....Berserk DLC? Really?

z5Alp.jpg

You know Capcom, I was already going to buy this game. You don't need to convince me further.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote: »

z5Alp.jpg

You know Capcom, I was already going to buy this game. You don't need to convince me further.

...Can I Berserk out a guy of my own design? Same gear, but different dude?

I, uh, just wanna know.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oooh, your character is going to be more customizable than I thought. Can you choose between male and female too?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Yep, both genders

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Oooh, your character is going to be more customizable than I thought. Can you choose between male and female too?

Yes.

What is all this Berzerk willy-chuffing over exactly?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hot damn, went ahead and pre-ordered.

This game looks to be just as good as, if not better than, Kingdoms of Amalur.

Hype!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    These videos are making me so exciting.

Only idiotic companion AI (that you need to win) or a poor control scheme for climbing over/on large enemies could break this game for me. It looks like a combination of a ton of RPGs I love.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    I really hadn't been paying attention to this game, but man everything I see about this game I like. Pawn system is really, really neat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    That narrator is doing a better job promoting this game than Capcom's entire marketing budget.

• Options
    JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    Turkey wrote: »

z5Alp.jpg

...Can I Berserk out a guy of my own design? Same gear, but different dude?

I, uh, just wanna know.

More important: arm cannon?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    That narrator is doing a better job promoting this game than Capcom's entire marketing budget.

I know right. The stuff about how you actually have to prepare, and WHEN you do something is as important as your class and abilities and weapon choices, and how dark areas are fucking dangerous.

MAN this looks really cool.

• Options
    This looks like something that I get and then no one sees me for a year.

This discussion has been closed.