As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEλM] - Cthulhu Saves the World is Coming to Steam

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would absolutely be up for some Arma, vanilla or OA

I bought the combined ops during the holiday sale last year and haven't even touched it yet.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I belive i ressurected an arma thread if people who want to play feel like posting in there so we can figure out whats what.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Some other things.

I have yet to figure out how to eject from the plane. No clue. I guess the planes are sadistic like that.

I also have no idea how to arm and fire anything other than the gun.

Trying to find where the missiles are can, at times, turn the whole plane off.

There's also a switch, or combination of switches which I was lucky enough to press, that turns everything off. And I do mean everything. Engines, displays, annoying GlaDOS-like voice that complains every time you try to do a strafing run, about useless and annoying things like altitude, speed, being hit by bullets and missiles firing at you, and why do you always go out with the guys but never spend any time with her.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Some other things.

I have yet to figure out how to eject from the plane. No clue. I guess the planes are sadistic like that.

I also have no idea how to arm and fire anything other than the gun.

Trying to find where the missiles are can, at times, turn the whole plane off.

There's also a switch, or combination of switches which I was lucky enough to press, that turns everything off. And I do mean everything. Engines, displays, annoying GlaDOS-like voice that complains every time you try to do a strafing run, about useless and annoying things like altitude, speed, being hit by bullets and missiles firing at you, and why do you always go out with the guys but never spend any time with her.

You need to start frapsing this nonsense.

It's exactly like Black Shark only I guess the A-10 probably yells at you in english.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone pick up Scratches and have anything to say about?

It's very meh. Red Herrings out the wazoo and unintuitive puzzles. The atmosphere is nice and the graphics are too, as well as the music. I'd wait for it to go on sale, $5 max maybe. That's what I paid for it and eh, that feels about right.

Or just read a LP of it.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The reason you stalled the Hog was because that Vulcan cannon puts out enough recoil to lower your airspeed and you were already flying with one engine.

And I might wanna sign up for arma2, but how easy is it to play online without a mic?
    I mean I can follow orders and shoot stuff...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Nocren wrote: »
    The reason you stalled the Hog was because that Vulcan cannon puts out enough recoil to lower your airspeed and you were already flying with one engine.

And I might wanna sign up for arma2, but how easy is it to play online without a mic?

You can play but c'mon man it's 2011 buy a mic.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OK gents, and I use this term loosely, since this /is/ the steam thread and I'm just that kind of dood...

Contest Time!

The contest is a simple one. I think you are all assholes. This is indeed fact. So in that theme, this contest is a gallery of why human's can't be trusted.

How do you enter? Well, simple! Be an asshole. Video or screenshot(s) are valid entries. Something done after this posting, not some previous work squirreled away.

This can, of course, be against a CPU opponent, but acts of untrustworthiness against actual people will of course get you more points.

This doesn't have to be screwing over your own team or anything either (Though that's always hilarious) it can just as easily be really screwing over your opponents or just ganking strangers.

The reward will be, of course, Portal 2. Being the motivation for this theme.

The deadline will be... I dunno, what's today? 20th? So the 27th. A week should be sufficient. Yes, I know, terribly long and all. Still, I want those working and such to have a fair chance as well.

Editing in: PM me a link to your entry post. I'm usually lurking most of the day, either from home or my phone, but Id rather not miss your entry (or just forget about it. Frankly, I'm a bit goldfishy at times.) Also usual 'be someone' limitation. Don't need a billion posts or anything but having existed for more than a month and at least made a passable attempt at being a part of this classy community would be best.

I was at a loss at first. Perhaps I'm out of practice. But then it came to me: what could be more assholey than shamelessly riffing off the game that's is at the premise of the contest? In another ridiculously popular game? Then I'll go for triple points by not spoilering it. Behold!

alCBZ.png
    Unfortunately, I'm not enough of a jerk to know how to cheat in Minecraft. I textured it using an image editor, then carved out that hallway and hauled lava around until it looked nice. Been working on it a bit at a time every night since Saturday, but I still ran out of time to add a big red button. D:

Frem on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Finally got to play Metro 2033 and I also have my new video card in here. Was able to crank everything to maximum and turn on DX11/Hardware Tesselation ect

Holy crap it's pretty in motion, it puts Crysis 2 to shame.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »

But I want my PA Joe name to be "Deafmute"
    :P

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

You don't get to pick your name!

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey, a general Steam question: I went to change my password today and noticed that my account is linked to my university email. I've graduated since setting it up, so who knows how many emails have been sent to a dead email account. Anyway, changing password or security questions require email validation... and unfortunately so do changing email. Any idea how I can update my email address without getting validation from the old one?

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is Operation Arrowhead worth $20?

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Count me in for the ARMA Brigade. I have both the stand-alones but don't mind which we eventually go for. ALso I have mic. I'm now moving with the times.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It looks like the game Capsized is being released on Steam in a couple of days. For those that don't know, the guy that did the art posts on these forums (as McGibs). It appears to be a pretty cool game too.

Peewi on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I have some questions, if I copy my red faction folder from my laptop to my desktop, will steam recognize with without my desktop going online?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I have some questions, if I copy my red faction folder from my laptop to my desktop, will steam recognize with without my desktop going online?

Doubtful! It seems that whenever I copy stuff over from one PC to another and go online, Steam always needs to download stuff for it. Even if it was completely updated on the original PC.

SteevL on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, I'm lazy, so I'm closing out this contest in a couple hours, which is right before I finally get to bed. so you have about 3 or so hours to submit anything if you want to. huzzah, and such.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    It looks like the game Capsized is being released on Steam in a couple of days. For those that don't know, the guy that did the art posts on these forums (as McGibs). It appears to be a pretty cool game too.

Yeah, it looks really cool. I remember him describing it as a modern version of Exile, and I fucking loved Exile back in the day. Definitely giving this a go.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Men of War, is so so.... I'm on easy and still not making it through mission 1, scavaging the battlefield for helmets and ammo after clearing the village....I can understand why this isn't for a lot of people, but I'm still having fun....but balancing out the desire to run everything over in a tank with getting trucks for the artillery...

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Arma is super complex and intense, but it's not a "pick up and play" game. It demands dedication.

I mean, it's a game that supports TrackIR for INFANTRY. Head tracking used to control the soldier's head independent from the gun.
    You can look up and left and fire low to the right.

You can just hold Alt to do this without TrackIR. I do it all the time, perfect for covering one way while scanning the horizon to your sides.

Not to mention looking around while prone without having to rotate on the spot.

I keep wishing more games had independent headmovement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvfM_f9zjUI

Echo on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, what a disappointment.

GOG has been running a teaser ad for a game that would be released today and the blurb on it was "What game made you go to the underground?". If you're as old as me, the only answer to that question was "Ultima Underworld! About bloody time too!".

Just now it turned out to be D&D - Dragonshard. :cry:

Yes, I know it was supposed to be an Atari game and Ultima Underworld is not, but still... There really was no other answer to that question. /sadface

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hoping the week long promo they mentioned is more interesting

Pheace on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I played about an hour of DCS A10 last night. In that time I basically started the plane up, realized I couldn't see shit because it was foggy so I just tried to take off from the parking lot, flipped the plane, reloaded, restarted the plane, was taxiing when my 2 year old distracted me so when I look back I see I missed my turn, try to turn real quick, and break the landing gear. So probably 30 minutes worth of reading a checklist and flipping switches for about 5 minutes of terrible driving. And I loved every minute of it.

The first thing I did last night was try to see if I could start it up completely from memory. Yeah, that didn't go so well. Somehow during my takeoff, my right engine cut out. That wasn't pretty. Maybe next time I won't try to take off while the plane is yelling at me to turn something on.

I'm actually feeling comfortable with starting this thing up now. No where near ready to put down my checklist, but I'm not hunting for the various switches anymore. Sure, I could just start on the runway, but that's no fun. Maybe tonight I'll actually try to shoot the gun.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sonelan wrote: »

You don't get to pick your name!

As admin of the PA community group on steam I hear-by declare your name to be Mudbug. Or Ricky Gervais. Which ever.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Men of War, is so so.... I'm on easy and still not making it through mission 1, scavaging the battlefield for helmets and ammo after clearing the village....I can understand why this isn't for a lot of people, but I'm still having fun....but balancing out the desire to run everything over in a tank with getting trucks for the artillery...

You're playing it right, probably. It's all about "almost didn't make it" victories, generally. If you can find someone to play coop with it's much, much better, but if you're having fun making last-ditch efforts in the campaign, then by all means keep it up. It's a pretty awesome game.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I played about an hour of DCS A10 last night. In that time I basically started the plane up, realized I couldn't see shit because it was foggy so I just tried to take off from the parking lot, flipped the plane, reloaded, restarted the plane, was taxiing when my 2 year old distracted me so when I look back I see I missed my turn, try to turn real quick, and break the landing gear. So probably 30 minutes worth of reading a checklist and flipping switches for about 5 minutes of terrible driving. And I loved every minute of it.

The first thing I did last night was try to see if I could start it up completely from memory. Yeah, that didn't go so well. Somehow during my takeoff, my right engine cut out. That wasn't pretty. Maybe next time I won't try to take off while the plane is yelling at me to turn something on.

I'm actually feeling comfortable with starting this thing up now. No where near ready to put down my checklist, but I'm not hunting for the various switches anymore. Sure, I could just start on the runway, but that's no fun. Maybe tonight I'll actually try to shoot the gun.

Real pilots will always go through a physical check-list for their entire careers, so you shouldn't have to worry about eliminating the check-list entirely, just making it short and sharp :) Preferably with lots of nonsensical acronyms.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Is Operation Arrowhead worth $20?

If you are going to be playing multiplayer (you should! it's awesome!) you will eventually need OA because 99% of servers and mods use it and vanilla together so yes.

Also yes because it's just good.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And done, sent, now sleep. Huzzah.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sometimes when I play older games on Steam, games that don't support 4:3 resolutions, it will actually cause my desktop resolution to change when I restart my computer.

This is annoying, because until I do a reboot, I don't know that anything is/has changed. Anyone know if there's a way to prevent your desktop resolution from being altered when you boot up an older game that has to run in a non-native resolution?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

You are a gent, and run a fine contest. :D

Cheers mate, thanks for the copy of Portal 2! :D

Drake on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drake wrote: »

You are a gent, and run a fine contest. :D

Cheers mate, thanks for the copy of Portal 2! :D

yes! ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Also I to can vouch for chocobolicious' niceness. Cheers for test drive unlimited!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    was running through alien swarm with a couple of buddies new to the game. we get to the mall level and despite completing all the objectives each of them die.

i'm all alone, with my health in the red, waiting for the damn elevator, against the horde.

i'm dodging like mad and still getting cut up, but finally the elevator doors open and i get in with ONE pixel of health left. room erupts in cheers. :D

AS is a fine game, wish there were more official campaigns for it.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok, so I'm about to fire up KOTOR for the first time. Anything I need to know, like required mods, that sort of thing? My hardware is, depressingly, fairly period-accurate (except for a 1680 x 1050 LCD monitor).

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Logged in from my Macbook, and got to see Steam Guard for the first time.

Very nice and simple. Just enter a six-letter code that gets emailed to you.

Echo on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Decoy wrote: »
    How is the level editor for Arma II. I'm a sucker for those.

Beyond anything you've used before. It'll blow your mind.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Combined Arms is ARMA 2 + Operation Arrowhead

Some ShackTac videos to show how awesome Multiplayer can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hbke4JjWXg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byNfHDAd6lI

Don't be scared of ShackTac. Our join requirement is that you're not a douche-bag and are a cool person. Personal skill in the game has no bearing at all. HailTheFish, a fellow PAer joined us in 2010.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm about to fire up KOTOR for the first time. Anything I need to know, like required mods, that sort of thing? My hardware is, depressingly, fairly period-accurate (except for a 1680 x 1050 LCD monitor).

There are next to no KOTOR mods (barring the usual suspects like nudie mods and "start the game as a Jedi"), and in fact modding and its discussion was verboten by Lucasarts on pretty much every KOTOR-related forum it had any control over.

But as a bit of personal advice? Don't play a Soldier. Skills are far too handy, and the weapon and armor proficiencies you get as pretty much useless in the long run.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Sometimes when I play older games on Steam, games that don't support 4:3 resolutions, it will actually cause my desktop resolution to change when I restart my computer.

This is annoying, because until I do a reboot, I don't know that anything is/has changed. Anyone know if there's a way to prevent your desktop resolution from being altered when you boot up an older game that has to run in a non-native resolution?

This happened to me the other day with the original Portal. It booted up in a 4:3 resolution (because I hadn't played it on my PC since before getting a widescreen monitor in December), I changed the resolution, and everything was fine. Until the next morning when I woke it up from sleep mode and my desktop was in the 4:3 resolution. Very weird; I don't know of a solution either. This happened on a Windows Vista machine.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    korodullin wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »

There are next to no KOTOR mods (barring the usual suspects like nudie mods and "start the game as a Jedi"), and in fact modding and its discussion was verboten by Lucasarts on pretty much every KOTOR-related forum it had any control over.

But as a bit of personal advice? Don't play a Soldier. Skills are far too handy, and the weapon and armor proficiencies you get as pretty much useless in the long run.

Here's one trick I use when playing KotOR. I might be considered a cheat, but it's in the standard game. I've spoilered it because it may contain minor story spoilers:
    So you start the game by picking your class and as you play you level up. Eventually in the story you become a Jedi and from then on start leveling up as a Jedi. Well, you can postpone leveling up until you become a Jedi, then use all of that accumulated experience to level up in the Jedi class. It makes the game a bit more difficult for a while (but certainly not impossible), but makes you stronger once you hit that piont.

You may have to level up once as your starting class. I can't remember now, but you'll know if you do. So instead of being say a level 5 solider/level 5 Jedi at the point you become a Jedi, you'll be a level 1 solider/level 9 Jedi or 2/8.

Sir Carcass on
This discussion has been closed.