As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The second PSN down thread... yes, there's a new one. Go post there.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Just because it's something that the website doesn't support doesn't mean they won't do it. They'll remove your info even with a gold account, you just have to call and ask them to.
    Ok, but why doesn't it support it in the first place? And after all these years?

Because it's a subscription service. At least they'll let you do it over the phone. Try removing your credit card info from something like netflix without canceling your account first. It's not standard business practice.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Clearly the next step for Sony will be to outfit the PSN with Black ICE to stop the Console Jockeys from making any more runs and doing further damage.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    You can't remove credit card data from your Live Account as far as I know, so you're screwed on that front.

Yes you can. Just log in on xbox.com.

No you can't. They require you to put in another credit card before letting you delete one.

No, actually, they don't. Just deleted all 5 cards I had on there, no fucking problem. Maybe it'd be a good idea to check before refuting me.

Only with an America account I believe. In the UK (last time I checked at least) you can't delete your credit card details via the website.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can't remove credit card data from your Live Account as far as I know, so you're screwed on that front.

No you can't. They require you to put in another credit card before letting you delete one.

No, actually, they don't. Just deleted all 5 cards I had on there, no fucking problem. Maybe it'd be a good idea to check before refuting me.

Only with an America account I believe. In the UK (last time I checked at least) you can't delete your credit card details via the website.

Maybe not on the website, but if you phone them up, I'm 99% certain they're legally obligated to remove it if you ask.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    klemming wrote: »

Maybe not on the website, but if you phone them up, I'm 99% certain they're legally obligated to remove it if you ask.

I am 100% certain they have to remove it if you ask. However, I'm 98% certain that they'll make the phone menu system you have to navigate tortuously hard so you'll give up before getting to a real person. I will be pleasantly surprised if I am wrong.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    OK as someone who bought something with a Credit Card from PSN some time last year, how worried should I be?

Falx on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Falx wrote: »
    OK as someone who bought something with a Credit Card from PSN some time last year, how worried should I be?

The only purchase I made on PSN was in 2009, and I called my bank to have a replacement card issued. They were well-aware of the situation, and were happy to replace my card free of charge, though YMMV. I'd recommend at least calling your bank. It'll be easier to call them now than to call them later and have fraudulent charges reversed.

exis on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm smelling a bit of FUD, misdirection and Sony shills in this thread.

Let's get serious:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34348/

http://www.cringely.com/2011/04/sony-may-be-clueless-in-psn-hack/

(Stolen from the Apple shill at Daringfireball...) ;-)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    eobet wrote: »
    Could you go ahead and point those posters and posts out?

Otherwise rabble rabble rabble etc.

This is right on the level with the "Some people are obtuse!" tree in the last thread. If you have an issue with a post or a poster, call them out. Quote them and respond. This kind of vague strawman handwaving is insulting the entire thread.

JAEF on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Falx wrote: »

Any data you transmitted to Sony may have been stolen.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In case you guys didn't get the email:
    Dear Valued Sony Online Entertainment Customer:
    Our ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment systems has discovered that hackers may have obtained personal customer information from SOE systems. We are today advising you that the personal information you provided us in connection with your SOE account may have been stolen in a cyber-attack. Stolen information includes, to the extent you provided it to us, the following: name, address (city, state, zip, country), email address, gender, birthdate, phone number, login name and hashed password.
    Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained and we will be notifying each of those customers promptly.
    There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised. It is in a completely separate and secured environment.
    We had previously believed that SOE customer data had not been obtained in the cyber-attacks on the company, but on May 1st we concluded that SOE account information may have been stolen and we are notifying you as soon as possible.
    We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the attack and as a result, we have:
    1. Temporarily turned off all SOE game services;
    2. Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
    3. Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.
    We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.
    For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When SOE™'s services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your Station or SOE game account name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.
    To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:
    U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.
    We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.
    Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
    Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
    TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
    You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at (877) 382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.
    We are committed to helping our customers protect their personal data and we will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in regions in which such programs are commonly utilized.
    We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at (866) 436-6698 should you have any additional questions.
    Sincerely,
    Sony Online Entertainment LLC

I have no idea what game I played with SOE... But my email was, of course, in their database. Sigh.... I guess it's time to request a new card then.

urahonky on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just called my bank which is the Nationwide, to cancel my Debit card. But they talked me out of it on the phone, saying all their branches had been informed about PlayStation situation. They said Debit cards were under no risk, because the security code and expiration dates weren't leaked.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    In case you guys didn't get the email:
    Dear Valued Sony Online Entertainment Customer:
    Our ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment systems has discovered that hackers may have obtained personal customer information from SOE systems. We are today advising you that the personal information you provided us in connection with your SOE account may have been stolen in a cyber-attack. Stolen information includes, to the extent you provided it to us, the following: name, address (city, state, zip, country), email address, gender, birthdate, phone number, login name and hashed password.
    Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained and we will be notifying each of those customers promptly.
    There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised. It is in a completely separate and secured environment.
    We had previously believed that SOE customer data had not been obtained in the cyber-attacks on the company, but on May 1st we concluded that SOE account information may have been stolen and we are notifying you as soon as possible.
    We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the attack and as a result, we have:
    1. Temporarily turned off all SOE game services;
    2. Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
    3. Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.
    We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.
    For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When SOE™'s services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your Station or SOE game account name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.
    To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:
    U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.
    We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.
    Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
    Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
    TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
    You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at (877) 382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.
    We are committed to helping our customers protect their personal data and we will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in regions in which such programs are commonly utilized.
    We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at (866) 436-6698 should you have any additional questions.
    Sincerely,
    Sony Online Entertainment LLC

I have no idea what game I played with SOE... But my email was, of course, in their database. Sigh.... I guess it's time to request a new card then.

But it's not for certain! may have! Sony would totally tell everyone (and completely admit their own failure and the reprecussions of fucking with the hacking community) if info had been stolen for sure.

Trololol aside, I feel for you guys. I'm dying to know if the technical details of the breach will ever be made public. Was it Sony being lax? or was it hackers being super smart?

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As someone said before, I'd be really disappointed if after all this calms down, we learn it was just a SQL injection or something that led to this.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Haikira wrote: »
    I just called my bank which is the Nationwide, to cancel my Debit card. But they talked me out of it on the phone, saying all their branches had been informed about PlayStation situation. They said Debit cards were under no risk, because the security code and expiration dates weren't leaked.

Except it's happened to quite a few forumers here. :P Plus, as stated earlier in the thread, many of the websites out there don't even really use the security code to make a purchase. Which is scary by itself.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone who's heard even a whiff of the potential of their credit card number being taken in such a high-profile case and still not willing to make the minimal investment of an hour or two at most of getting a new number and changing your auto-billing options is a silly, silly goose. Doubly so if it was a debit card wired directly to your bank account. Why tempt fate? Just to be an Internet tough guy?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

Except it's happened to quite a few forumers here. :P Plus, as stated earlier in the thread, many of the websites out there don't even really use the security code to make a purchase. Which is scary by itself.

Uh, yeah. Not to mention that, if Nationwide are basing their claims on Sony's information, Sony have been wrong twice already in this debacle. They initially claimed that there was no risk of security code theft because they never asked for it. Then later that changed into "Oh, wait. We do ask for it. But we don't store it!". Then there was the whole issue with their statement about SOE being completely secure - only to later reveal that they had several million additional accounts compromised.

Also, as Lunker mentions above, debit card theft is much much harder to deal with than credit card theft.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I was one of the ones telling people who cancelled their credit cards they were being premature. They were (and they needed to just get a new number and such, anyways, not cancel), but debit cards are a bit different.

At this point, it's probably best to get a new number. As mentioned above, most sites don't even use CVV code (even if they ask for it, amusingly). Expiration dates can be figured out.

WORST CASE scenario is someone finding out which bank your card is with (trivial due to the identifying numbers in the account number itself), calling up and pretending they're you (they have your details, remember), and changing your address and having a new card sent to them.

It's doubtful it'll happen due to the nature of this loss, but....

That rep didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    eobet wrote: »
    Could you go ahead and point those posters and posts out?

Otherwise rabble rabble rabble etc.

This is right on the level with the "Some people are obtuse!" tree in the last thread. If you have an issue with a post or a poster, call them out. Quote them and respond. This kind of vague strawman handwaving is insulting the entire thread.

I don't know, the person I was calling obtuse quoted it right away and proved themselves obtuse.

I'd say it was pretty effective.

adytum on
  • Options
    ghost whistlerghost whistler explodicator HereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Good afternoon. :winky:8-)

Don't know where else I can ask this, since I can't log in as the PSN is still down.

I had a ps3 last year till January when I sold it. I created a PSN account, but I don't recall using my credit card or attaching a card to it. I received an email two days ago, presumably the same one all users had about security following the breakdown. Is there anyway I can check to see just what i've got stored under that account? I didn't think it was even active anymore as I hadn't used it since I sold the console.

Thank you.

ghost whistler on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Not yet, ghost. We have to wait till the PSN is brought back up then you could look online.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ok thanks.

Santander tells me i'd have to (basically) set up a new account as the only way to deal with it.

I'm surprised my PSN file is still on server as I haven't used it since Jan last year and I'm 99.yougetthepicture% sure I never attached a credit card or whatever. I don't remember buying anything. In fact the last time I transacted with SOE would have been when SOE came out, and that was a long time ago on a bank account far far away. But you can't be too careful; I doin't even like the fact they might have my email!

ghost whistler on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok thanks.

Santander tells me i'd have to (basically) set up a new account as the only way to deal with it.

I'm surprised my PSN file is still on server as I haven't used it since Jan last year and I'm 99.yougetthepicture% sure I never attached a credit card or whatever. I don't remember buying anything. In fact the last time I transacted with SOE would have been when SOE came out, and that was a long time ago on a bank account far far away. But you can't be too careful; I doin't even like the fact they might have my email!

They sent that message to everyone (eventually) who ever opened a PSN account, regardless of whether or not you attached a credit card to the account. Much more data was stolen than credit card information, plus the claim is that the credit card data was encrypted, while the other data was not (with the exception that the account passwords were hashed).

Basically, suspect that your account information was compromised. Since you're pretty sure you never used a credit card, just make double sure that the password to your email account doesn't match whatever you used for the PSN, and then stay vigilant against phishing attempts. Not much more you can do beyond that at this point.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    I don't know, the person I was calling obtuse quoted it right away and proved themselves obtuse.

I'd say it was pretty effective.
    Is that what was happening? I guess I didn't follow. I'll just go circlejerk about credit card cancellation in the corner then.

JAEF on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Don't know where else I can ask this, since I can't log in as the PSN is still down.

I had a ps3 last year till January when I sold it. I created a PSN account, but I don't recall using my credit card or attaching a card to it. I received an email two days ago, presumably the same one all users had about security following the breakdown. Is there anyway I can check to see just what i've got stored under that account? I didn't think it was even active anymore as I hadn't used it since I sold the console.

Thank you.

One thing you can do is search the email that Sony sent you the message on to see if you kept your PSN account setup email. That'll tell you what info you originally attached to the account (aside from the password and secret question).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If millions of e-mail address were stolen...that's a goldmine right there, isn't it? You sell that shit in bulk to spam agencies. I might be misinformed, but I thought the e-mail trade was a booming business.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Incorrect, as a person who works in the banking industry, I've seen many cases of credit card fraud that has been successfully committed without them getting ahold of the security code on the back. Also, I'm pretty sure the expiration date would have been super easy to get ahold of considering everything else they got.

It's always better to be safe than sorry and get your card replaced.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    Anyone who's heard even a whiff of the potential of their credit card number being taken in such a high-profile case and still not willing to make the minimal investment of an hour or two at most of getting a new number and changing your auto-billing options is a silly, silly goose. Doubly so if it was a debit card wired directly to your bank account. Why tempt fate? Just to be an Internet tough guy?

Well, there were a few Internet tough guys in the last thread who had so much conviction invested in Sony they stated their intention to do just that.

Wonder where they went.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Thank you.

I got the mail too and I've definitely never used my CC with PSN.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »

Well, there were a few Internet tough guys in the last friend who had so much conviction invested in Sony they stated their intention to do just that.

Wonder where they went.

I'm sure they're all off doing the grinds and flexing and what not since they are all so very tough.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    jclast wrote: »

Thank you.

One thing you can do is search the email that Sony sent you the message on to see if you kept your PSN account setup email. That'll tell you what info you originally attached to the account (aside from the password and secret question).

Nothing on record. I haven't even owned a ps3 since last January. I've had nothing to do wtih them since. I really don't think I used a credit card, i'm averse to buying DLC anyway. I would like to know what info they have on record however. I've sent them a message asking this though i doubt it will get a prompt reply, in fact asking for user info is what got them into trouble in the first place. Does anyone know their customer support number (UK)?

ghost whistler on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Well, there were a few Internet tough guys in the last friend who had so much conviction invested in Sony they stated their intention to do just that.

Wonder where they went.

I'm sure they're all off doing the grinds and flexing and what not since they are all so very tough.

Rescuing President Reagan from ninjas.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Wonder where they went.
    Not feeling the need to announce a second time they're not swapping out their credit cards and don't want to deprive you of constantly posting smug.jpg? I won't be bothering to change my credit card. I'm also not stupid enough to attach a debit card to anything on the internet, so I don't have to bother changing one of those.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Actually, it has less to do with the immediate concerns itself and more to do with the escalation of the problem. Escalation they were entirely convinced would not be an issue, and that as the problem remained as it were, there wouldn't be any major consequences.

Plus, I distinctly remember "Deal With It" being thrown in there for good measure.

With that in mind, this being the internet and all:

smileysmug.gif

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You hear that, guys? Anyone who uses a debit card for anything on the internet is stupid. JAEF is a fucking prophet up in here. Thank god we have him to tell us what we should have done.

436px-CaptainHindsight.jpg

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Honestly JAEF, on the 10-point Drastic Measures scale swapping out your credit card numbers after learning of a database breach ranks about 0.7 at most. It's quick, it's easy and the banks are more than happy to do it for you.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i didnt read through the whole thread, but i was wondering, am i supposed to be angry at sony because they are the victim of cybercrime? is it really their fault some assholes hacked into their servers?

i was much more righteously enraged when i thought this whole thing was just sony's shitty service. now i just feel sorry for them.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I believe, like most things in life, it's a bit from column A, a bit from column B--and like most things in life, there's no shortage of blame to go around.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ketherial wrote: »
    i didnt read through the whole thread, but i was wondering, am i supposed to be angry at sony because they are the victim of cybercrime? is it really their fault some assholes hacked into their servers?

i was much more righteously enraged when i thought this whole thing was just sony's shitty service. now i just feel sorry for them.

If you're sensible you should be mad at both Sony and the hackers. The hackers because they are douchey douches who stole your info, and Sony for being dumb and not protecting their user data well enough.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ketherial wrote: »

Then you need to read the whole thread. It's been asked and argued through about 60% of it already. Sony fucked up big time by lax security and not informing customers as required by law.

The hackers are assholes and nobody likes them.

Magic Pink on