As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The second PSN down thread... yes, there's a new one. Go post there.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Opty wrote: »
    You can't remove credit card data from your Live Account as far as I know, so you're screwed on that front.
    As far as I know I did, or at least that is what the option said it would do. They could keep the information even after I removed it of course, which I wouldn't be surprised if they did. In any event though, that credit card is not going to exist for much longer anyway.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If my SOE account info is out there, maybe someone could hit me up and let me know what the hell my username/password is?

Because damn I haven't touched that shit since SWG...before the first combat update.

On a more serious note: I am genuinely interested to see where this goes. Regardless of the amount of actual shit that does or doesn't start happening to people, this is huge. Sony done fucked up. This is the kernel rootkit fiasco times about 77 million, IMO.

Mostly I'm interested to see what happens due to all the government folks currently giving Sony the stink-eye.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wonder how well the hackers covered their tracks. I don't expect Sony to be able to find out who did it, but I have a lot more faith in the U.S. government being able to, and this many charges will send you up to Sing Sing for a long time.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mspencer wrote: »
    I'm way less of an expert on actual enterprise security, since I don't have any job experience doing security for a large company. I'm taking a class, that's all. That said:

If Sony's corporate compliance folks are competent, we should assume that every requirement on that list was being followed. Yet a breach happened anyway. If they weren't compliant, this could be very bad for Sony.

When you say very bad for Sony are we talking millions of dollars? Tens of millions of dollars? Hundreds of millions of dollars? The end of Sony?

I'm curious what the ballpark figures are for ten million plus compromised credit cards. My gut instinct tells me Mastercard/Visa wouldn't let anyone off the hook for less than ten dollars a pop, and probably significantly more than that.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Someone needs to do some Cave Johnson as Sony CEO jokes about now

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey bros.
    So PSN sucks right now. In the mean time, I just picked up a PS3 classic (love craigslist).

I'm borrowing LBP from my buddy right now. I plan on getting Uncharted, maybe God of War III, Infamous...anything I'm missing? As a rule, I'm only looking for PS3 exclusives, as my majority of multiplayer gaming is on 360 and some PC.

What games I get? GO!

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey bros.
    So PSN sucks right now. In the mean time, I just picked up a PS3 classic (love craigslist).

I'm borrowing LBP from my buddy right now. I plan on getting Uncharted, maybe God of War III, Infamous...anything I'm missing? As a rule, I'm only looking for PS3 exclusives, as my majority of multiplayer gaming is on 360 and some PC.

What games I get? GO!

Get both Ratchet and Clank games as they're fantastic adventure/platformer games.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Beezel wrote: »

"That's 65% more breach per breach!"
    "We said, go ahead and try to steal your data!"
    "BAM! Hashing gave us 6 extra seconds of security."
    "Gentlemen, I give you the PSN+ subscribers of tomorrow."

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So to be clear since the title and last few pages have been pretty omgwtfbbq hysteria, the latest articles I can find are stating that some old, non US credit cards were taken, but the actual PSN credit cards were still encrypted and thus are most likely still fine, right? So if you're in the US, all your credit cards are still theoretically good assuming (which admittedly may not be a good thing to do at this point) that sony is right.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Just imagine if the root cause of this relied on the jailbreaking of the PS3.

I'd imagine there are good enough lawyers, lobbyists, and enough greedy politicians to use that to leverage some further massive erosion of consumer rights into law.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SHHHHHH! Don't give them any ideas.

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »

"That's 65% more breech per breech!"

"Those egghead keyboard monkeys told me we needed a random number generator. They wanted to program one. Too time consuming, I said. Time is Science! I gave `em a pair of dice, that's plenty random. Now we have more money to focus on the important things. Like decapitating goats!"

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

"When life gives you hackers, I say set their house on fire!"

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Time for Sony to just bend the fuck over and take it. What a colossal cockup.

http://www.soe.com/securityupdate/

The official notice regarding the SOE disaster, in case anyone missed it.
    Hey bros.

What games I get? GO!
    Seriously consider:
      Demon's Souls
    • Demon's Souls (seriously get this fucking game)
    • God of War Collection (if you have not played the first two games)
    • God of War III
    • Heavenly Sword
    • Little Big Planet 2
    • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction/Crack in Time
    • Katamari Forever (if you have not played the Katamari series)
    • Uncharted 1/2
    • Valkyria Chronicles

PSN Downloadable:
      Wipeout HD
    • Super Stardust HD
    • Pixeljunk Eden
    • Flower
    • Critter Crunch

Look into:
      Resistance 1/2
    • Killzone 2 (3 is a disaster, except for the coop single player)
    • 3D Dot Game Heroes

PSN Downloadable:
      Pixeljunk Shooter 1/2
    • Pixeljunk Monsters
    • Warhawk (sequel coming out soon though)
    • Noby Noby Boy
    • Trash Panic
    • Gravity Crash

JAEF on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

"That's 65% more breech per breech!"

"Those egghead keyboard monkeys told me we needed a random number generator. They wanted to program one. Too time consuming, I said. Time is Science! I gave `em a pair of dice, that's plenty random. Now we have more money to focus on the important things. Like decapitating goats!"

Oh man I forgot all about that goat thing.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

"When life gives you hackers, I say set your customers' house on fire!"

"When those bean counters told me we couldn't afford seven dollars for security, I said OK."

I may not be remembering that one correctly.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My credit card has a low limit, so I have just left it alone so far.
    I'm curious if it will be compromised or not. There's been no weird charges so far.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I had my credit card changed due to the additional severity it seems. Luckily, I had also lost the card a night before after a night gallivanting around town. So this was a double bonus.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "The bean counters told me we couldn't fire the security guy because he was in a wheelchair. But I did anyway, because ramps are expensive."

Aegeri on
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Good lord, Sony has fucked up too much. I seriously don't see how things won't turn bad for them now.

I have to wonder if the NGP will even be able to take off.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

"When those bean counters told me we couldn't afford seven dollars for security, I said OK."

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you hackers, don't take the system down. Make life take the hackers back! Get mad! I don't want your damn hackers! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Sony hackers! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the hackers! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a reverse hack that burns your house down!"

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained - we will be notifying each of those customers promptly.

There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised. It is in a completely separate and secured environment."

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Welcome, gentlemen, to the Playstation Network. Online play, digital distribution, security... You're here because you want the best, and We-Are-It. So, who's ready to make some accounts?

"I am!"

Haha! Now... you already met one another in our HOME program, so let me introduce myself: I'm Cave Johnson. I own the place. That eager voice you heard is Kaz Hirai, my amazing assistant. Rest assured he has transfered your information to the encrypted security system of your choice. Isn't that right, Kaz?

"Yessir, mister Johnson!"

He's the backbone of this facility. Witty as a postcard, too. Sorry fellas, he's been acquired... by Sony!

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you hackers, don't take the system down. Make life take the hackers back! Get mad! I don't want your damn hackers! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Sony hackers! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the hackers! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a reverse hack that burns your house down!"

>SEND SPIKE

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I guess something else bad happened? I don't even know what SOE is.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    >SEND SPIKE

You sit on it, but you can't take it with you...

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The credit card attached to my PSN account was my Chase card.

Unfortunately I was also compromised when monoprice got hacked a while back, but Chase was pretty good at catching the fraudulent charges right away.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I guess something else bad happened? I don't even know what SOE is.

Sony Online Entertainment. The branch that runs all the subscription-based MMos and whatnot.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained - we will be notifying each of those customers promptly.

There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised. It is in a completely separate and secured environment."

"We secured the things that give us money. But your shit that only be can used by identity thieves against you and not us? Fuuuuuck thaaaaaat"

zerg rush on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sony's welcome back package should have included this gem (original title and all).
    badman2cover.jpg

Vray on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hah. Good one.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can't remove credit card data from your Live Account as far as I know, so you're screwed on that front.

Yes you can. Just log in on xbox.com.

No you can't. They require you to put in another credit card before letting you delete one.

Hey bros.

What games I get? GO!

Both Uncharted's. God of War collection. Demon's Souls. Motorstorm is really great if you like that sort of thing. Also, Resistance and Killzone. And Metal Gear Solid 4.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vray wrote: »
    Sony's welcome back package should have included this gem (original title and all).
    badman2cover.jpg
    Ha, that'd be awesome.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Triple B wrote: »

No you can't. They require you to put in another credit card before letting you delete one.

No, actually, they don't. Just deleted all 5 cards I had on there, no fucking problem. Maybe it'd be a good idea to check before refuting me.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Triple B wrote: »

No they didn't.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It won't let me delete mine.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    It won't let me delete mine.
    Remove an Xbox LIVE payment option
    • Go to xbox.com/accounts
    • Under Account Information, click Edit Payment Options.
    • In Account Information, click Edit Payments
    • If prompted, sign in using your Windows Live ID (email and password).
    • Next to the payment option you want to change, click Remove.
    • Click Remove to remove an Xbox LIVE payment option

Can’t remove a payment option?

If you try to remove a credit card that is associated with an active Xbox LIVE Gold Membership, you will receive the following error:
    • This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Go to the Payment method information page to view services associated with this payment option.
    You cannot remove a payment option that is associated with an active Xbox LIVE Gold Membership. However, if you associate a new payment option with your Xbox LIVE membership, you can then remove the existing payment option. Here's how:
    • On your console, sign in using your Xbox LIVE gamertag.
    • Go to My Xbox, and then select your avatar.
    • Go to Account Management, and then select Manage Account.
    • In Account Management, select Manage Account
    • Go to Your Memberships, and then select the membership that you want to change (for example, Xbox LIVE Gold).
    • Select your Xbox LIVE membership
    • Select Change Payment Options.
    • Select Change Payment Options
    • Select Add Credit Card.
    • Enter your credit card information.
    Now that another payment option is associated with your Xbox LIVE membership, you can remove the original payment option using the above steps.

Call Support

If you don't have another payment option to associate with your active Xbox LIVE membership, please call Xbox Support for help removing a payment option.

When you call, please have your gamertag and payment information available.

If you're not able to remove it on the site, it's because your Gold account is active. Most (if not all) companies won't let your remove the payment for an account that is still active.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Umm, then how does that protect the customer? You're only allowed to remove your personal data if you're not paying Microsoft.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    Umm, then how does that protect the customer? You're only allowed to remove your personal data if you're not paying Microsoft.

Call up and cancel the service, and then remove your card. Or better yet, call up and have them remove the card without canceling the service.

Just because it's something that the website doesn't support doesn't mean they won't do it. They'll remove your info even with a gold account, you just have to call and ask them to.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just because it's something that the website doesn't support doesn't mean they won't do it. They'll remove your info even with a gold account, you just have to call and ask them to.
    Ok, but why doesn't it support it in the first place? And after all these years?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png