As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass 3ffect: 2012

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I considered that, but she would rather do the LP.

I think this one is pretty good, though it skips almost all of the sidequests.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    http://twitter.com/#!/ME3News/status/75116494421368832

I knew every class was getting an extra power.

Nice! Lets just hope it isn't like a derp ammo per class from ME2 or immunity from ME1.

Elixir on
    ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well...you don't really need new ammo powers.

The ones you have so far are good.

Some need tweaking of course *coughshredderammocough* but they all do their intended job.

So...I'm guessing they will be more active abilities.

Especially for classes who needed them, like Soldier. I mean...all they had was concussive shot...and if Adrenline Rush wasn't so OP that would have been so ugh.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i still think there could be more reason to switch ammo powers- all i ever do with ammo powers is put fire on the single shot weapons to increase their already boosted anti-armour capabilities, (or ice if i don't have fire, because it's a guaranteed freeze) and put electric on the rapid-fire weapons to increase their already-boosted anti-shield capabilities. unless you have warp or armour piercing rounds, there's no reason not to just do what i do. why would i put anti-shield rounds in a sniper rifle? it's a waste of ammo for the amount of damage it does versus shields. and there's absolutely no reason not to use ammo powers if you have them.

maybe if ammo powers worked more like medigel i'd be more tempted to swap/not activate just to preserve some special ammo. i think it might be cool! activate ammo powers for a certain quota of special ammo (either a certain amount of time of special ammo or a certain amount of shots) and resupply from lockers and safes and such.

maybe you could put points into ammo powers to make them last longer or be more effective, or pay for a really expensive mod for your gun to have the ammo power permanantly "on".

oh and while we are talking about gun mods, ME3 bringing them back presents the perfect opportunity to bring back the secondary fire on the guns! you know, overkill, assassination, etc. and make them interesting and different this time, not just "do more damage" or "fire faster and do more damage". concussive shot could be an example for the assault rifles.

Nuzak on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Actually, from what I understand, it's the first "layer" of defense on an enemy that determines damage bonuses. Using AP rounds on a shielded enemy does no extra damage at all until that shield is gone and you take a shot that directly hits armor or health. The effect doesn't spill into the lower health bars.

Edit: Dev quote on it.

Elendil on
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nuzak wrote: »
    i still think there could be more reason to switch ammo powers- all i ever do with ammo powers is put fire on the single shot weapons to increase their already boosted anti-armour capabilities, (or ice if i don't have fire, because it's a guaranteed freeze) and put electric on the rapid-fire weapons to increase their already-boosted anti-shield capabilities. unless you have warp or armour piercing rounds, there's no reason not to just do what i do. why would i put anti-shield rounds in a sniper rifle? it's a waste of ammo for the amount of damage it does versus shields. and there's absolutely no reason not to use ammo powers if you have them.

maybe if ammo powers worked more like medigel i'd be more tempted to swap/not activate just to preserve some special ammo. i think it might be cool! activate ammo powers for a certain quota of special ammo (either a certain amount of time of special ammo or a certain amount of shots) and resupply from lockers and safes and such.

maybe you could put points into ammo powers to make them last longer or be more effective, or pay for a really expensive mod for your gun to have the ammo power permanantly "on".

oh and while we are talking about gun mods, ME3 bringing them back presents the perfect opportunity to bring back the secondary fire on the guns! you know, overkill, assassination, etc. and make them interesting and different this time, not just "do more damage" or "fire faster and do more damage". concussive shot could be an example for the assault rifles.

The problem is basically with how they set up the gun system in the reality they wrote. Having "secondary fire" be a skill for the soldier would be fun though.

That said, the "ammo" in ME2 bothered me the more I thought about it. The thermal clips are just heat sinks - a fixed standard size. So my character should have some global ammo amount, not segregated amounts. And if they are fixed size, why does my sniper rifle have 10 clips x 1 round, while my pistol has 6 clips x 12 rounds?

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    Actually, from what I understand, it's the first "layer" of defense on an enemy that determines damage bonuses. Using AP rounds on a shielded enemy does no extra damage at all until that shield is gone and you take a shot that directly hits armor or health. The effect doesn't spill into the lower health bars.

Edit: Dev quote on it.

That's how I always intrepreted it. Damage bonuses depends on the current shielding or the "overshield".

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Concussive shot sounds like it's going to not suck in ME3 - I think they said it can combine with ammo powers, so you could basically drop a freeze grenade on an area etc.
    Kipling wrote: »
    So my character should have some global ammo amount

NEVER AGAIN.

Anyway, as for different capacities, the Widow throws out way more heat in a shot than the Avenger.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Honestly, lowering Concussive shots cooldown will go a long way.

Why they gave it a 12 second cooldown is beyond me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I preferred the "infinite ammo but you have to watch your heat" model from ME1.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Immunity has already been ported over to Fortification, it's just not useful because ME2 is such an aggressively offensive game and everybody wants more damage.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    dragon_petzdragon_petz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I agree, immunity isn't that useful anymore post-port in Fortification. Oh well.

dragon_petz on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    -Tal wrote: »
    Immunity has already been ported over to Fortification, it's just not useful because ME2 is such an aggressively offensive game and everybody wants more damage.

Also forces you/really incentives you to go for powers with/because of high damage output, instead of powers with additional effects, which isn't helped by nothing working through defenses.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I meant that immunity in ME1 was stupid OP. I want to avoid having the added powers be mini god modes.

As far as ammo powers go, I don't want more ammos added as powers specifically. We know some of them (*cough* shredder/AP/) are... questionable in the usefulness. I'd rather see them as gun mods, and Shep having more activated abilities.

Elixir on

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elixir wrote: »
    I meant that immunity in ME1 was stupid OP. I want to avoid having the added powers be mini god modes.

As far as ammo powers go, I don't want more ammos added as powers specifically. We know some of them (*cough* shredder/AP/) are... questionable in the usefulness. I'd rather see them as gun mods, and Shep having more activated abilities.

I agree. Though AP is just as useful as incendiary ammo - at least I recall that from some statistic on the forums, also it didn't really seem to matter when I used it myself.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I find Shredder to be useful on disc one because it has higher initial damage, especially on classes like Sentinel that can already clear defenses really fast.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Immunity = hardened adrenaline rush.

I've been saying Shredder Ammo should be nerfed for ages.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Honestly, the biggest reason I like the ammo change is because their re-loading animations are badass.

jackisreal on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    AP ammo is generally considered worse than incendiary because it doesn't panic organics, and does barely more damage.

I've never seen the point of shredder ammo because, honestly, once an enemy doesn't have defenses anymore they're my plaything.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Really theres no reason to use anything other than incendiary.

It sets things on fire, Why you would use anything else is beyond me.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ammo!

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Its not good against synthetics. So Disruptor or Armor piercing is a good backup ammo.

And if you're an Adept, Warp Ammo is amazing.

Z0re on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Soldier needs a big overhaul. The only active powers it has are concussive shot and adrenaline rush. I'd love to see different stuff, like a temporary storm speed/duration boost to manoeuvre into better position, a taunt so you can have enemies focus on you etc.

I see the soldier as being primarily shootey but with abilities that supplement combat tactics and change the battlefield in his/her favor.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kainy wrote: »
    AP ammo is generally considered worse than incendiary because it doesn't panic organics, and does barely more damage.

I've never seen the point of shredder ammo because, honestly, once an enemy doesn't have defenses anymore they're my plaything.

i see this reasoning all the time but I've never found it true, even without defenses a lot of enemies are dangerous, especially krogan. unless you're an adept, in which case you'd take warp anyway.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well...I mean...for pretty much every class once your opponent is down to health you and throw them around like a rag doll.

...That being said...I do feel Engineers need a better disabling move.

Incinerate and Cyro blast are great. But, like with the example of a Krogan you just used, they're not all that useful as a panic button when the enemy is right in your face.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

Its not good against synthetics. So Disruptor or Armor piercing is a good backup ammo.

And if you're an Adept, Warp Ammo is amazing.

Do either of those set things on fire?

No?

Then they fucking suck, Because setting things on fire is superior..even when its not!

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

i see this reasoning all the time but I've never found it true, even without defenses a lot of enemies are dangerous, especially krogan. unless you're an adept, in which case you'd take warp anyway.

Do you mean on insanity or something? Because on normal I finish off krogan with melee attacks just to be a dick to them.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Do you mean on insanity or something? Because on normal I finish off krogan with melee attacks just to be a dick to them.

I Vanguard Charge shield/armorless Krogans just to show them who the king krogan really is.

and to show off infront of the fertile females.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd like to see toxic ammo make a comeback. Imagine Boarderlands style "I'm MEEEEEEEEELTINGGGGGG" death animations. On Cerberus troops and husks.

Oh, and it would increase enemy cooldowns or something.

Mostly just melt people.

Elixir on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Ooohhh...

They should replace Shredder ammo with toxic ammo.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    To the Bioware boards! We shall whine, complain, insult and spam with entitlement until the devs get so fed up they change shredder ammo to toxic ammo!

Oh wait, we are sane people. Nevermind.

Elixir on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    To the Bioware boards! We shall whine, complain, insult and spam with entitlement until the devs get so fed up they change shredder ammo to toxic ammo!

Why would we go to the bioware boards for that?

Unless the toxin for the ammo was somehow harvested by sexually assaulting tali, Then it'd fit perfectly on the bioboards.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As a new power, I want that riot shield the Shadow Broker had, that thing was badass.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Unless the toxin for the ammo was somehow harvested by sexually assaulting tali, Then it'd fit perfectly on the bioboards.

I got it! The toxic ammo is actually coated in Tali's sweat. And you know, you gotta make sweat to unlock the power...
    :winky:
    Too much?

Elixir on

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I elbowed alot of Krogun to death in my vanguard insanity run. But with vanguard that's a pretty common occurance, I haven't really used shredder ammo before mainly because the 3 classes I've done insanity on have all have a knockback power. I may pick it up for my infiltrator or engineer runs.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So i just read the best Mass Effect* book ever. It's called Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds.

*the book has no affiliation to bioware or Mass Effect. However it's a spot on retelling of Mass Effect that went back in time and got published in 2001.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So is Beserkers, as I recall. Of course he went back in time and did it in the 70's. Tbh one of the things I love is how Mass Effect is the child of every bit of Sci-Fi from Ringworld to 2001 to Star Trek to Forbidden Planet.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I may have to look into this berserkers too

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I got it! The toxic ammo is actually coated in Tali's sweat. And you know, you gotta make sweat to unlock the power...
    :winky:
    Too much?

Well, now we know where the other half of the Bioware Forums Madness Circle lies.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Berserker series is a series of space opera science fiction short stories and novels by Fred Saberhagen, in which robotic self-replicating machines intend to destroy all sentient life. These Berserkers, named after the human berserker warriors of Norse legend, are doomsday weapons left over from an interstellar war between two races of extraterrestrials some 50,000 years ago. They all have machine intelligence, and their sizes range from that of an asteroid, in the case of an automated repair and construction base, down to human size (and shape) or smaller.

From Jimbo Wales' blog.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com