As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The G2 Apple ithread. Words With Friends All Up Ins

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was fine without a smartphone, but then my technologically-inept mom got an iphone and now I feel painfully behind the times.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sheri, I finally figured out something that was bothering me for awhile. You look, and act like a younger version of my friend laura, she even has similar glasses and is a professional photogropher. I knew you looked super fimilar for a reason

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pffffffff the start this thread is hilarious

Also if you own an iDevice and haven't played sword and sworcery, throw on some headphones and do it

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I hear that's a good game. I beat angry birds and peggle so I need more games.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also I need more people to play words with friends with plz. Nino G is the username or friend me on Facebook! <3

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    lostwords wrote: »
    Also I need more people to play words with friends with plz. Nino G is the username or friend me on Facebook! <3

Oh it is ON

Sheri on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've never understood the vitriol for dudes hanging out in places using their laptops

like, sometimes a guy just wants to get out of his house? who said laptops are only allowed to move from the desk to the couch and back again? Sometimes I got a lot of emails to reply to AND a hankering for a BLT or a nice smoothie, and we live in a time where those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

saying that anyone using a macbook in public wants to be "discovered" is almost incomprehensibly dumb

whatever hipster

Brolo on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    I've never understood the vitriol for dudes hanging out in places using their laptops

like, sometimes a guy just wants to get out of his house? who said laptops are only allowed to move from the desk to the couch and back again? Sometimes I got a lot of emails to reply to AND a hankering for a BLT or a nice smoothie, and we live in a time where those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

saying that anyone using a macbook in public wants to be "discovered" is almost incomprehensibly dumb

whatever hipster

uh-oh! I'm peeing on you

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    oh oh pee on me i want some pee too

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the pee is going everywhere

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was in a deli on my lunch break the other day, screwin' around on my phone, and a guy comes up all, "Is that the Android phone?"

"Uh, yeah."

"I looked at that, but I just had to buy an iphone."

"Oh, yeah, I used to have one of the older iphones, but I like this a lot better."

"Oh, you're that guy huh?"

What the fuck? You approached a stranger in public to talk phones. You're that guy!

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sheri wrote: »
    Hey SH, you got an iPad 2 yet

I do I already said that and it is aces.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Im not even that guy.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Nino, I would have words with thee

Bucketman on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love the crap out of my iPad. Use it constantly to forum, read books, comics, check email weather and news. I haven't played any games on it in a while though. And I used to watch tv on it but I have much larger screens for that purpose.

My iPod touch died and I replaced it with a zune hd because it was way cheaper than an iPod touch and I have this iPad anyway. The zune I alright.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Will you sell me your old one for a reasonable price pleeeeease

Sheri on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i have an iphone 3gs, but these days ios is feeling really outdated. like, are they ever going to fix the godawful notification system or what.

also, the samsung galaxy iis looks STUNNING

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

No can do, Phil's folks are buying it from me for like $350. Sorry :(

T zoo: a major update to notifications is one of the things iOS 5 is rumored to include.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh god guys Nino has already declared that he hates me in Words With Friends

Someone should have warned him

Sheri on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I need to reinstall Words with Friends.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

No can do, Phil's folks are buying it from me for like $350. Sorry :(

Goddamnit

I needs one

And I needs to not pay $TEXAS cuz I'm poor

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sheri, there's a shop out here that deals only in used electronics like phones and such, they had some used ipads for cheap last time I was there. Ill swing by tonight after work to see if they stii have any in stock.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sweeeeet. Is it a legit place, or is it one of those side-of-the-road-sketchy places? Do they refurb the electronics at all?

Sheri on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't say I'm vehemently against Apple, but I have never owned an Apple product in my life. I have an Android phone and a Zune and currently a shitty ASUS netbook.

However, I now need a new laptop. I need it to be fast and able to play a lot of videos but I also want it to look good.

So I'm looking at Macbook Pros. God damn are they expensive.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Macbook pros are very expensive. The macbooks themselves are a bit more affordable and decent.

Also yeah sheri ipad as photo portfolio is great.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah sheri, they wipe the stuff of everything and clean them up. As far as I know they don't take broken stuff in.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Yeah sheri, they wipe the stuff of everything and clean them up. As far as I know they don't take broken stuff in.

This sounds hilarious/terrible out of context.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I even have a Nook Color that I rooted so I could have a cheap, good Android tablet instead of buying an iPad.

One of my friends works at the Apple store so he can get me 15% off whatever I buy but that still puts me at like $1,500 for a laptop which is ridiculous.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like Apple. I really do. But their apparent philosophy of restricting access to quite a lot of the goings on in their computers is becoming offensive. If reports are to be believed, this new line of imacs not only has a proprietary SATA connection (7 pin instead of 4), but you need a firmware update only available from a mac store to make a new hard drive with the proper connector even boot!

Proprietary connections are nothing new and there have certainly been worse offenders before (coughdellsony) but needing a mac store only firmware update is straight up offensive. What benefit does this have? Because if there is none, this just seems to me like it's apple believing its customer base isn't smart enough to be allowed to change anything than what the great apple believes they should.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »

Whoo

I wants one

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I like Apple. I really do. But their apparent philosophy of restricting access to quite a lot of the goings on in their computers is becoming offensive. If reports are to be believed, this new line of imacs not only has a proprietary SATA connection (7 pin instead of 4), but you need a firmware update only available from a mac store to make a new hard drive with the proper connector even boot!

Proprietary connections are nothing new and there have certainly been worse offenders before (coughdellsony) but needing a mac store only firmware update is straight up offensive. What benefit does this have? Because if there is none, this just seems to me like it's apple believing its customer base isn't smart enough to be allowed to change anything than what the great apple believes they should.

To be fair

I talk to people daily who don't know if they're using a Mac or a PC

Apple might be on to something here

Sheri on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I always have and always will hate Apple, especially as someone who builds fast computers for cheap. I hate wasting money, and Apple products are pretty clearly a waste of money versus their PC alternatives.

That being said, I got an iPhone as a gift. I don't totally hate it; it does work better than the droid phones most of my friends have. I can't stand playing in Apple's walled garden though. You have to do every damn thing on their terms with their approval for more than it should cost. And you have to use iTunes, which is the worst media program of all time. The fucking thing still doesn't support FLAC. Don't even get me started on Apple Lossless. I'm not converting my entire FLAC library to their horrible proprietary format.

I can't wait until my contract expires. I'll get myself a droid or a windows phone. I just hope those run a little better in two years. This apple prison drives me nuts. How do people put up with it?

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man looking at prices if g1 ipads, new are like $400 and referbed are $350. That seems about a hundred too high. Did they start at $500?

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

To be fair

I talk to people daily who don't know if they're using a Mac or a PC

Apple might be on to something here

Yeah. I work with people every day who don't even know what a hard drive does. I don't hate them or sneer at them or anything for it, they're usually nice enough and perfectly willing to learn, but yeah. Thing is, that sort of person isn't even going to know how to open an imac to get at the hard drive. It hardly needs any extra protection. This just seems like it's directed at anyone who does know what they're doing and just wants to mess around a bit with their purchased product.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The average consumer doesn't replace a hard drive in their computer, they take it somewhere or get a new computer.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Fandeathis wrote: »
    I always have and always will hate Apple, especially as someone who builds fast computers for cheap. I hate wasting money, and Apple products are pretty clearly a waste of money versus their PC alternatives.

That being said, I got an iPhone as a gift. I don't totally hate it; it does work better than the droid phones most of my friends have. I can't stand playing in Apple's walled garden though. You have to do every damn thing on their terms with their approval for more than it should cost. And you have to use iTunes, which is the worst media program of all time. The fucking thing still doesn't support FLAC. Don't even get me started on Apple Lossless. I'm not converting my entire FLAC library to their horrible proprietary format.

I can't wait until my contract expires. I'll get myself a droid or a windows phone. I just hope those run a little better in two years. This apple prison drives me nuts. How do people put up with it?

Because people don't know what the fuck FLAC even is, nor would they care. They just want the music on the phone.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm finally gonna buy an iphone soon.

I'm not waiting for the new one. Because that's just a losing battle.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Definitely agreeing with SH

I'm no tech person, but I'm also not a grandma who can't tell you what internet browser she's using.

I love my iPhone cuz it does what I need it to do, I like iTunes just fine, and I don't really feel the need to fuck around with my iMac. The only issue I have is that I need more RAM on my iMac, but I've just been lazy about buying and installing more.

For the average user, Apple is just dandy (and, yes, expensive).

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Ugh see I'm perfectly fine with being annoyed at apple for certain things but them being a waste of money is not one of them. They are not a waste of money. The extra cash you spend is for the (substantial) overall extra effort Apple goes to making sure their products work very well not just in general but with other things.

Despite all the reports and sneering videos I'm sure you (and I) have seen, proclaiming how this and that proves how Mac computers really don't just work, they in fact for the vast majority of the time do. You buy an apple computer, not only are you getting much higher quality parts (that will therefore last longer) than a 500 dollar toshiba, but you're guaranteed to have something which will work with everything Apple says it will.

Macs and PCs are two different things. There are advantages and disadvantages to both of them. Neither one is a ripoff (unless you get an alienware) and both are worth purchase depending on your needs.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Because people don't know what the fuck FLAC even is, nor would they care. They just want the music on the phone.

Yeah, I guess those are the kind of people Apple profits off of. I can't even begin to describe how out of place I feel with an iPhone. Then again, I was pissed that I had to install windows for some college classes. I prefer to keep it all Linux to be honest.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.